Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD 2023 - archived discussions about what’s offensive  (Read 1068296 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD 2023
« Reply #160 on: January 1, 2023, 05:09:06 pm »
So you're telling me there's still a chance?  :D

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: January 1, 2023, 05:11:29 pm »
Benfica won’t be selling in Jan then if that’s the case.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: January 1, 2023, 05:14:41 pm »
Indeed, it's just scapegoating. Feel like we're about twenty games worth of examples that it's the complement of our midfielders that has been the issue.

It's not like we need long memories either. We had our three most regular starting midfielders in against Villa (Hendo Thiago Fab) and nobody could say it was a good midfield performance, and Thiago had one of his poorest performances particularly off the ball since he's played for us.

Given Thiago's quality is undoubted (outside of some loons), yet he had such a bad performance alongside our first choice back 8 (except Konate, but Matip is not a newbie) I'd have thought it should be clear that anyone can struggle in our midfield when the trio (or more) are ill equipped to physically compete well enough between them.

Elliot isn't the sole problem but my point was we shouldn't be worrying about how new signings will affect his game time as he isn't the solution either.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: January 1, 2023, 05:17:15 pm »
If we win on Monday and Arsenal as expected beat Newcastle, we'd be back to looking very good for top 4. I think Newcastle will end up well out of it personally.

Their form over the last 12 months certainly suggests they'll be in the mix for top 4.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #164 on: January 1, 2023, 05:18:26 pm »
Their form over the last 12 months certainly suggests they'll be in the mix for top 4.

Yeah I get that. I just don't think its sustainable and I'm not sure they'll be able to handle any sort of pressure. But we shall see!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: January 1, 2023, 05:18:54 pm »
So you're telling me there's still a chance?  :D

Insha'Allah  ;D

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: January 1, 2023, 05:20:34 pm »
If we win on Monday and Arsenal as expected beat Newcastle, we'd be back to looking very good for top 4. I think Newcastle will end up well out of it personally.
Competing for a CL place is uncharted territory for them though. I wouldn't be surprised if they fell away.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #167 on: January 1, 2023, 05:21:40 pm »
Romano as usual talking utter bollocks.

https://twitter.com/NBCSportsSoccer/status/1609545944093130755

That "Chelsea are going to be savvy" remark did make me chuckle. ;D

Online HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: January 1, 2023, 05:24:58 pm »
 ;D

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: January 1, 2023, 05:25:49 pm »
Competing for a CL place is uncharted territory for them though. I wouldn't be surprised if they fell away.

Their position also looks better by virtue of playing more games than everyone else. If they lose to Arsenal and others win, in the space of two games they've gone from talking up a title challenge to being outside of the top 4 when games in hand are taken into account.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: January 1, 2023, 06:01:07 pm »
Insha'Allah  ;D

Inshaallah to you too mate.  ;D

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #171 on: January 1, 2023, 06:07:41 pm »
Inshaallah to you too mate.  ;D

God willing, we'll get a fresh rumour out of you before the year gets much older.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: January 1, 2023, 06:14:31 pm »
 ;D

Already mentioned the player on this page mate.  Liverpool dark web tells me we might be lining him up. Not sure for now or the summer though.  :D

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #173 on: January 1, 2023, 06:28:16 pm »
Very helpful - it’s a worry for the remainder of this season though!

“We started the season with nine midfielders, and everything you need, creativity, speed, excitement because they’re young, technique, fight, runners, whatever you want, it’s all in, and they all have contracts, and then you start a pre-season. And then a player who has one year or two years left on their contract says they didn’t  play enough last year and they want to go, then in that moment they go, but we don’t actively push people out. We had all different aspects of a midfield game. You asked if we need a midfielder - a tenth midfielder. But we were going for a midfielder, but the midfielder decided to go to another club. That can happen. So in that moment, it’s not like “we don’t get him, let’s get the other one. Some players are in this moment not available. But to us they are really interesting. So that’s how it is - we can make the decision - is it the right one? I’m not 100% sure. Short term yes? But for the long term? How would that affect the next one? We cannot just push the button and then worry about all the problems it would create next year, later on… and then we get injuries and all of a sudden it looks like we need another midfielder. So we always wanted [another midfielder], but it was always about the right one.”

This is why I changed my mind in the summer and why I’m skeptical anything will change now. Klopp and by extension the club see the group we have in midfield as exactly what they want. They could have made different choices and instead at almost every instance they’ve doubled down. Bellingham or Tchouameni is just a long term progression plan to add to the the group but the group itself is fine in their mind.

As much as we can say it or Pearce and the rest can write it the club clearly do not see any problem there at it’s core. Maybe it could be improved and yes one or two will have to be replaced but it’s not a pressing issue and it’s never been treated that way. The loan signing of Arthur Melo highlights that more than anything else.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: January 1, 2023, 06:50:51 pm »
So, we don't need a midfielder then........

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #175 on: January 1, 2023, 06:55:46 pm »
So, we don't need a midfielder then........

Almost anyone with a passing interest in the sport thinks we do. Virgil seems to think we do. Klopp and the club? I guess we’ll see.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: January 1, 2023, 06:57:13 pm »
;D

Already mentioned the player on this page mate.  Liverpool dark web tells me we might be lining him up. Not sure for now or the summer though.  :D
What dodgy link you got for us Samie? Need my fill of gossip.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: January 1, 2023, 07:06:12 pm »
Joao Gomes of Flamengo, who's been linked to us previosly.  :D

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: January 1, 2023, 07:06:27 pm »
Is there any indication that we’ll be making the Arthur loan permanent?  And, yes, I realize he hasn’t played for us yet and has been/is injury prone. 

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: January 1, 2023, 07:07:57 pm »
Joao Gomes of Flamengo, who's been linked to us previosly.  :D

Has looked good on the YouTube compilations I watched when he was linked a few months ago, about as much as I can add.

But he can run and tackle so instant improvement, get him in.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: January 1, 2023, 07:08:26 pm »
Is there any indication that we’ll be making the Arthur loan permanent?  And, yes, I realize he hasn’t played for us yet and has been/is injury prone.

Don’t think so, from memory there wasn’t even an agreed fee in the loan arrangement.

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: January 1, 2023, 07:10:06 pm »
Although I was pissed off about Utd winning yesterday I've just allowed myself a glance at the league table for the first time in many months.
It's odd viewing indeed. Although I guess I should have done I didn't realise Arsenal are 6 points ahead and our position isn't quite as bad as I'd wondered.

Hopefully Gakpo is going to help, but we need Jota and Diaz back asap and we really could do with another MF. There's no margin for more slip ups if we want to finish 4th.

Difficult to predict what will happen. The positives are that we always do better the second part of the season also we have experience at situations like this and even when we lost all our defenders Klopp still got us top 4 which is an insane achievement considering the circumstances.

but then again our midfield defensively this season is one of the worst I have ever seen on par with Leeds midfield under Bielsa but the difference is we have world class players at our backline and attack. Klopp and the coaches tried everything to find a solution so far and we are showing no signs of improving at this area.

I think we will let one or two players go this window and bring in a defensive midfielder and if we don't we will need luck because it will be extremely difficult.
« Last Edit: January 1, 2023, 07:11:49 pm by Egyptian36 »

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: January 1, 2023, 07:11:19 pm »
Don’t think so, from memory there wasn’t even an agreed fee in the loan arrangement.

I thought I read there was like a 35m fee.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: January 1, 2023, 07:15:07 pm »
I thought I read there was like a 35m fee.

I’m probably wrong then, may well be. I can’t imagine the club are considering it though as he’ll have barely even trained.

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: January 1, 2023, 07:17:03 pm »
He might not fit the kind of midfielder we need but would really like us to go for James Maddison, energetic, creative and great end product. He never stops. Could be on my own with that one though.

He’s similar to Enzo but a lot cheaper.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #185 on: January 1, 2023, 07:17:16 pm »
Not a chance, and if we did it would be up there with the signing
of Aquilani.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: January 1, 2023, 07:19:00 pm »
Not a chance, and if we did it would be up there with the signing
of Aquilani.

Yep, don't think we'd have the slightest interest even on a free let alone actually paying money for him.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: January 1, 2023, 07:19:28 pm »

Far too early to say. We do have the option to buy him for €37.5 million, but he will have to be very good in the second half of the season for us to consider triggering that option ...

Offline anandg_lfc

• Anny Roader
« Reply #188 on: January 1, 2023, 07:21:54 pm »
We should sign bella kotchap once southampton get relegated.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: January 1, 2023, 07:22:19 pm »

No and it would be utter madness to do so.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: January 1, 2023, 07:24:12 pm »
We should do as he fits right in with his injury record.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: January 1, 2023, 07:25:36 pm »
I’m probably wrong then, may well be. I can’t imagine the club are considering it though as he’ll have barely even trained.

Well, we’re likely losing Ox, Milner, and Keita and if the 35m option is true, he’s probably a decent cheap option to fill one of the spots. 

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: January 1, 2023, 07:26:35 pm »
It is interesting how people who have never seen Arthur play dismiss the idea of signing him on a permanent deal, yet they are willing to sign James Ward-Prowse  ;D

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #193 on: January 1, 2023, 07:30:45 pm »
It is interesting how people who have never seen Arthur play dismiss the idea of signing him on a permanent deal, yet they are willing to sign James Ward-Prowse  ;D

Yeah, but he's good at freekicks.
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: January 1, 2023, 07:31:42 pm »
Yeah, but he's good at freekicks.
He’s also good at being available

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #195 on: January 1, 2023, 07:35:40 pm »

Is he?  He'd add that pace and physicality to our midfield that we are crying out for as well  ::)
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: January 1, 2023, 07:37:22 pm »

Victor Wanyama is also available, maybe we should sign him  :lmao

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 1, 2023, 07:37:59 pm »

Thankfully, there’s been zero indication we plan on making it permanent. Hopefully it stays that way.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: January 1, 2023, 07:39:41 pm »
Victor Wanyama is also available, maybe we should sign him  :lmao
Yeah maybe. I don’t think we should sign Ward-prowse.
I also don’t think we should sign anymore last minute loan players that will never play for us because they are either not good enough or have a dodgy injury record.

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: January 1, 2023, 07:42:03 pm »
This is why I changed my mind in the summer and why I’m skeptical anything will change now. Klopp and by extension the club see the group we have in midfield as exactly what they want. They could have made different choices and instead at almost every instance they’ve doubled down. Bellingham or Tchouameni is just a long term progression plan to add to the the group but the group itself is fine in their mind.

As much as we can say it or Pearce and the rest can write it the club clearly do not see any problem there at it’s core. Maybe it could be improved and yes one or two will have to be replaced but it’s not a pressing issue and it’s never been treated that way. The loan signing of Arthur Melo highlights that more than anything else.

I mean, if you believe that they can't see the evidence of their own eyes or the mountain of stats that tell us that the midfield is broken, ok, but I don't think so for a second. Which is why I assume we are buying a midfielder this window. Anything else is insanity, really. No way our manager and his team can't see what is happening every game. There's loyalty and there's ignoring reality.