Author Topic: 2023 in Music  (Read 18118 times)

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
2023 in Music
« on: January 1, 2023, 06:59:09 pm »
2022 is over and we roll in to 2023.

First big release is Iggy Pop that is out on Friday.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
Re: 2023 in Music
« Reply #1 on: January 1, 2023, 09:21:07 pm »
2022 is over and we roll in to 2023.

First big release is Iggy Pop that is out on Friday.

Let`s follow this.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 2, 2023, 03:27:12 am »
Two albums were released on New Year’s Day (that I know of).

“Higher Lonely Power” by Fireworks, which is their first album in the best part of a decade. 43 minutes long.

“Ambient23” by Moby, which is his latest instalment of ambient compositions without vocals. 146 minutes long.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #3 on: January 3, 2023, 02:30:12 pm »
Looking forward to the upcoming release (13th Jan) of the second Billy Nomates record, Cacti. I didn't get the first album until much later on, but the tracks released in advance of this follow-up point towards this being a really good record.

A couple of those tracks:

Spoiler
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/le9DNwVZTFk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/le9DNwVZTFk</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/i-cJH_byJ3Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/i-cJH_byJ3Q</a>
[close]

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 3, 2023, 02:35:31 pm »
Great shout Jackh, didn't know the album was out so soon. Seen Billy nomates at Glasto last year, a really top performance and I'm loving the more polished sound.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #5 on: January 4, 2023, 06:10:53 pm »
First heard term ' Billy No Mates' in Liverpool ..very early 90's ..always took to be a Scouse term

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #6 on: January 7, 2023, 04:06:52 pm »
Not particularly familiar with Stereogum, so can't really vouch for it, but they've posted a list of albums they're expecting/hoping for in 2023.

New Pagans, Ride, PJ Harvey, Michael Stipe, The National, and boygenius jumping out at me. What's everyone else looking forward to, or at least hoping for?
« Last Edit: January 7, 2023, 04:11:42 pm by jackh »

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: January 7, 2023, 05:06:57 pm »
Not particularly familiar with Stereogum, so can't really vouch for it, but they've posted a list of albums they're expecting/hoping for in 2023.

New Pagans, Ride, PJ Harvey, Michael Stipe, The National, and boygenius jumping out at me. What's everyone else looking forward to, or at least hoping for?

Stereogum has an excellent running column on the Billboard number ones. Well worth reading through it as it basically charts the history of popular music over the past 50 years. There's a great comment section after each article as well.

As for 2023 albums, I'm hoping for a new Strokes album as I thought their last one was a nice return for them. Also hoping for new albums by Vampire Weekend, Marika Hackman and Danny Brown. Will be interested to see what reissues Taylor Swift puts out this year (could well be all her remaining albums).

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #8 on: January 9, 2023, 11:47:57 am »
As for 2023 albums, I'm hoping for a new Strokes album as I thought their last one was a nice return for them. Also hoping for new albums by Vampire Weekend, Marika Hackman and Danny Brown. Will be interested to see what reissues Taylor Swift puts out this year (could well be all her remaining albums).

Great shout on Marika Hackman, Zee - I still haven't listed to her debut album or the covers record, but really enjoyed the last two 'proper' releases and it's approaching three & a half years since 'Any Human Friend' was released.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #9 on: January 9, 2023, 01:54:06 pm »
Michael Stipe should be interesting as should Everything But The Girl (nothing but a good Tracey Thorn album since 1999)

Also John Bramwell is at least 3 years overdue with his (he was playing tracks live in 2018) so should be better than it was, Gemma Hayes may be worth a listen if it ever appears after her new found club fame and the first track from the Colorist Orchestra/Emeliana Torrini sounds promising. I await surprises though and some artists are overdue also (Black Pumas, Lisa Hannigan)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #10 on: January 9, 2023, 08:45:50 pm »
New Depeche Mode and Peter Gabriel due to and we may, at last see the new Cure album this year too.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 9, 2023, 11:47:02 pm »
I am quite looking forward to the new Mac DeMarco album, which is due out on the 20th of this month. I found his last release in 2019 to be quite underwhelming, but given that this upcoming album will be purely instrumental, it is an interesting enough change in direction for me to give it a whirl when it drops.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2023, 11:49:03 pm by ljycb »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2023, 09:25:50 am »
24 years between drinks.

EBTG - Nothing Left To Lose

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/M6QKZJeK-5w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/M6QKZJeK-5w</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2023, 09:54:27 am »
24 years between drinks.

EBTG - Nothing Left To Lose

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/M6QKZJeK-5w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/M6QKZJeK-5w</a>

Banger that Baz.

I'm digging this.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3aFF09jjZwk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3aFF09jjZwk</a>

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2023, 10:11:08 am »
Banger that Baz.

I'm digging this.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3aFF09jjZwk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3aFF09jjZwk</a>

Cracker of a tune. Fred Again has some pedigree being Brian Eno's godson.

Would love The XX to knock out another album. Nothing now for 6 years.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2023, 06:36:11 pm »
First album. Listen of 2023...the new Circa Waves album. Enjoyable on first listen and looking forward to some more listens in the coming days.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2023, 08:46:18 pm »
Cracker of a tune. Fred Again has some pedigree being Brian Eno's godson.

Would love The XX to knock out another album. Nothing now for 6 years.

Looks like they’ve got you on hold.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2023, 08:53:35 pm »
Gaz Coombes new one out today, I’ve enjoyed his other solo stuff. Playing the Jacaranda next week, too.
AHA!

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2023, 10:26:14 pm »
First album. Listen of 2023...the new Circa Waves album. Enjoyable on first listen and looking forward to some more listens in the coming days.

Same. Solid Scouse band to kick off the year with. Will be pleased if it comes anywhere close to 2016's Different Creatures.

Offline baltic out here

• Would you buy a second hand vinyl off this fella?!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2023, 02:49:58 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Su_hinfId-Y&amp;ab_channel=metamedi7" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Su_hinfId-Y&amp;ab_channel=metamedi7</a>

Quite different from Margo Price her new one Strays. Most of the album has shaken off trad country and there's quite a mix here of psych, new wave, blues etc. That opener is the most interesting, cool JJ Cale kind of rhythm guitar sending it all the way

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2023, 04:45:17 pm »
Young Fathers first week of Feb..looking forward to this..single sounded great.

Me lad agreed to come and see them with me..was chuffed bout that..the realised same fucking night as Real Madrid home.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2023, 05:22:04 pm »
Steve Lamacq playing a new one by The National right now - think he said an album is due in April, featuring Taylor Swift, Phoebe Bridgers, and Sufjan Stevens.

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2023, 06:34:29 pm »
Steve Lamacq playing a new one by The National right now - think he said an album is due in April, featuring Taylor Swift, Phoebe Bridgers, and Sufjan Stevens.

No surprise to see Taylor featured on there. His work on “Evermore” in particular was great.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2023, 08:14:59 pm »
New Boygenius album out 31st March. Three tracks from it already up on YouTube.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 10:45:42 pm by Rob Dylan »

Offline Thehunter1978

• Anny Roader
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2023, 08:25:50 pm »

It's being released on the 28th April.

Looks like there are tour dates as well

21/9 Dublin
23/9 Leeds
24/9 Glasgow
26/9 London
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 08:28:46 pm by Thehunter1978 »

Offline baltic out here

• Would you buy a second hand vinyl off this fella?!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2023, 08:46:16 am »
Second Ghost Woman LP out now in as many years. More barmy than the first one, but still wonderful psych on it
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/l4rYIWJXHvc&amp;ab_channel=GhostWoman" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/l4rYIWJXHvc&amp;ab_channel=GhostWoman</a>

Also a new John Cale album out in over ten years, very modern sound, worth checking out.

Offline skidz73

• Kind Kenny... what a gent...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't Drink and Post.
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2023, 11:11:47 am »
New Murder Capital out last week. Intense as the first, Radiohead like on others. Check it out
By the way, I should tell you that I haven’t had a chance to shower while making my way up here, my balls are extra vinegary.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2023, 05:38:11 pm »
I'm really liking The Arcs record.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 3, 2023, 09:23:01 pm »
A month in and nothing's really grabbed me this year yet. I've listened to albums by Maneskin, Ava Max, Circa Waves, Gabrielle Aplin, Emarosa and Elle King. All of them ranging from "fine" to "pretty poor".

Still waiting for that first album to proper pull me in.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #29 on: February 4, 2023, 12:34:10 am »
Yes, towards the end of 2022 I sort of appreciated some decent releases but have yet to see anything I 'anticipate'

Hope I am wrong, early days
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Victor

• Legacy Fan
  • Daa Dah Daaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #30 on: February 5, 2023, 10:29:54 pm »
New Murder Capital out last week. Intense as the first, Radiohead like on others. Check it out

Love it when a band follows up their debut album with something even better … worth waiting a couple of years for
"There are two great teams in Liverpool.... Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves"

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #31 on: February 5, 2023, 10:35:10 pm »
Gaz Coombes new one out today, I’ve enjoyed his other solo stuff. Playing the Jacaranda next week, too.
Thanks for highlighting this. Hadn’t realised he had a new album out. First two solo albums were excellent
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 5, 2023, 10:38:31 pm »
Michael Stipe should be interesting as should Everything But The Girl (nothing but a good Tracey Thorn album since 1999)

Also John Bramwell is at least 3 years overdue with his (he was playing tracks live in 2018) so should be better than it was, Gemma Hayes may be worth a listen if it ever appears after her new found club fame and the first track from the Colorist Orchestra/Emeliana Torrini sounds promising. I await surprises though and some artists are overdue also (Black Pumas, Lisa Hannigan)
Gemma Hayes, haven’t heard her name in a long time. Saw her support Snow Patrol a good few years ago now. Great voice

Actually I’ve misremembered that she was supporting Counting Crows in 2003
« Last Edit: February 5, 2023, 10:42:44 pm by duvva 💅 »

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 6, 2023, 01:08:39 pm »
Had a couple of listens really like it

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #34 on: February 6, 2023, 09:37:21 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place but for those who have not heard of a young artist called Ren then listen to the two videos below. The guy is an absolute genius and his style and music are astounding. He’s over in Canada at the moment getting treatment for a long-term illness so probably won’t do a lot this year.

Note that these videos are live and one-take. His story telling is brilliant. Enjoy.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/s_nc1IVoMxc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/s_nc1IVoMxc</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TYAnqQ--KX0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TYAnqQ--KX0</a>
#JFT97

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2023, 03:52:43 pm »
Very much enjoying the new Rozi Plain.  :wave
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2023, 05:56:17 pm »
Like the new Paramore album more than I anticipated. Really didn't like This Is Why or C'est Comme Ca (and still don't) but the majority of the album tracks are really enjoyable. The final 5 tracks on the record are a string of consecutive winners.

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2023, 06:25:30 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place but for those who have not heard of a young artist called Ren then listen to the two videos below. The guy is an absolute genius and his style and music are astounding. He’s over in Canada at the moment getting treatment for a long-term illness so probably won’t do a lot this year.

Note that these videos are live and one-take. His story telling is brilliant. Enjoy.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/s_nc1IVoMxc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/s_nc1IVoMxc</a>

Wow, just wow

Fantastic, that Hi Ren is incredible.....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TYAnqQ--KX0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TYAnqQ--KX0</a>
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2023, 10:56:07 pm »
Lee Mavers is back in the studio!

Whether it’s new music, yet another re-release of the debut album or There She Goes - take 9002, we’ll wait and see!
We are Liverpool!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2023, 09:02:16 am »
Brit Awards last night. Didn't know most of the acts or nominations to be fair. Harry Styles & Wetleg were the major winners. Did not mind that wetleg tune.