Author Topic: The BBC  (Read 128625 times)

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The BBC
« Reply #160 on: August 30, 2019, 05:17:22 pm »
Or, do you wish to rely upon the likes of ITV and 5 to get out news and provide political content?

Best news and political content out there is BBC 5 Live
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: August 30, 2019, 06:06:08 pm »

Why should I pay for schools when I don't have kids? Why should my wife pay taxes towards the healthcare of people (like me) who smoke(d) when she never has? Why should I pay for the healthcare of people (like my wife) who have long term joint damage from playing sports? Why should a pacifist pay for the military? Why should the taxes of rich people pay for benefits for the poor (that one will get a bite!)? Why should those with private health care pay for the NHS? Etc etc.

Public goods. Whether you watch it or not - and that's entirely your choice - you almost certainly benefit from the contributions it has made to society (directly and indirectly, via people inspired and educated) over decades.
Sounds like an argument for the BBC to be funded through general taxation, then they can scrap the licence / permission slip.
Then they can stop persecuting, prosecuting and criminalising poor people (mainly women ) and put an end to the menacing and threatening "We know where you live " and "Will you be home on..." marketing techniques.
The snidey, bullying door to door sales teams who like to mascarade as someone with authority can also f*ck off and go back to whichever rock it is...   

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2019, 06:25:19 pm »
Sounds like an argument for the BBC to be funded through general taxation, then they can scrap the licence / permission slip.
If it wasn't for the complication of news and political coverage, I'd absolutely prefer it to be funded through general taxation. But that could leave it open to political interference - actual or perceived. There should be a way of doing it while overcoming that risk, though.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2019, 06:36:23 pm »
Best news and political content out there is BBC 5 Live
I was, of course, referring to Channel 5 TV. :)
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #164 on: September 3, 2019, 09:38:17 am »
Slightly off topic, but......

I've just had the pleasure of trying to cancel my TV licence. So, if this isn't a tax and I tell them to cancel my TV licence, why do I have to provide proof I don't watch TV anymore?

As it happens, I've moved out of my flat and in with the other half. I still have my flat as i'm in contract til someone else moves in as the landlord has agreed to let me cancel my tenancy early when someone is ready to move in.

I have no proof no one lives there.

But why should I have to prove no one lives there, as living there does not mean you require a TV licence.

And finally, a postal form? It's 2019 for crying out loud.
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #165 on: September 3, 2019, 10:18:46 am »
The criticism Laura Kuenssberg has been getting for reporting yesterday that Johnson ‘will call an election for October 14’ is emblematic of a problem I think.  To have seen the Fixed Term Parliament Act thing games out thoroughly online during the day, such that it was clear that it’s not his call to make, and then see it splashed as briefed, is head-in-the-hands stuff.

It’s that those types in the BBC are so personality-led - they think they’re alphas but they behave like betas.  They’ve learned nothing from the past few years.  You can picture her gleefully rolling her sleeves up when she got the briefing - ‘this is my time to shine’ - but she’s the leading journalist out there, she should have been plotting it out in advance and calling them to account the moment it was announced.  Instead she might as well be writing for Hello.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: September 3, 2019, 10:38:47 am »

I've just had the pleasure of trying to cancel my TV licence. So, if this isn't a tax and I tell them to cancel my TV licence, why do I have to provide proof I don't watch TV anymore?

As it happens, I've moved out of my flat and in with the other half. I still have my flat as i'm in contract til someone else moves in as the landlord has agreed to let me cancel my tenancy early when someone is ready to move in.

But why should I have to prove no one lives there, as living there does not mean you require a TV licence.

As far as I understand it you don't. You just tick a box saying you don't watch TV on the premises and send it off.

They might send one of their goons round to do a check but you don't have to let them in.

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #167 on: September 3, 2019, 11:04:45 am »
As far as I understand it you don't. You just tick a box saying you don't watch TV on the premises and send it off.

They might send one of their goons round to do a check but you don't have to let them in.

I hope that's the case, just that's not what it says on the form.

Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: September 5, 2019, 08:28:41 pm »
I hope that's the case, just that's not what it says on the form.

https://tv-licensing.blogspot.com/2018/08/tv-licensing-laid-bare-free-ebook.html?m=1

That's a link to a free pdf download that covers pretty much everything about the license.
Highly recommended.
On cancelling, it suggests you say you are emigrating, easiest way to stop them probing for information they have no right to.

It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: September 5, 2019, 09:12:03 pm »
The criticism Laura Kuenssberg has been getting for reporting yesterday that Johnson ‘will call an election for October 14’ is emblematic of a problem I think.  To have seen the Fixed Term Parliament Act thing games out thoroughly online during the day, such that it was clear that it’s not his call to make, and then see it splashed as briefed, is head-in-the-hands stuff.

It’s that those types in the BBC are so personality-led - they think they’re alphas but they behave like betas.  They’ve learned nothing from the past few years.  You can picture her gleefully rolling her sleeves up when she got the briefing - ‘this is my time to shine’ - but she’s the leading journalist out there, she should have been plotting it out in advance and calling them to account the moment it was announced.  Instead she might as well be writing for Hello.
Kuenssberg's worst trait is inadvertently (I hope) giving credibility to much of the nonsense of the last three years.  Trotting out lines like "these are interesting times" and "who knows what's around the corner" is lazy journalism and downplays the seriousness of it all.

It makes you wonder how far things would have to go before the BBC political journalists spoke out.  "PM Johnson is loading former Chancellor Hammond into a cannon to fire him into the heartlands of Europe... this is without precedent. Stick around as I'll be talking to Steve Bannon and Samantha Cameron - SamCam! - to discuss the news that Jeremy Corbyn doesn't wear a poppy in the bath".

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: September 5, 2019, 09:24:39 pm »
Kuenssberg's worst trait is inadvertently (I hope) giving credibility to much of the nonsense of the last three years.  Trotting out lines like "these are interesting times" and "who knows what's around the corner" is lazy journalism and downplays the seriousness of it all.
Her worst trait, I think, is that she bases her journalism entirely on her access to politicians, the texts she receives, the off the record briefings. There's no real analysis or understanding. I've also listened to a couple of BBC Brexitcasts in the last couple of days and she seems to be rather full of herself, dominating the conversation with meandering name-dropping and rather inane comments merely repeating what everyone already knows, while the cannier Katya Adler and vastly superior Chris Mason struggle to get a word in edgeways.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
Believer

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2019, 10:11:25 pm »
For all it’s flaws, I can’t deny that I enjoy bbc coverage and content  more than any other network.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #173 on: September 22, 2019, 01:40:26 am »

Or just ignore the letters . I get them every few weeks and a threatening ' we've actually knocked on your door one '. They have no right to enter your home unless ' you invite ' them in or  they have ' signed warrant ' from a magistrate.  The chances of the latter are zero. These plenty of stuff on the internet on how to deal with these goons as you most probably know.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 01:44:50 am by kesey »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #174 on: September 23, 2019, 11:04:34 pm »
So John Humphreys is a c*nt

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/sep/21/john-humphrys-attacks-bbcs-liberal-bias-days-after-retiring-from-radio-4?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Amazing such a zealous journalist failed to criticise the BBC's failings when he was there. Gobshite trick to go running to the Mail just as he's cashing in his large BBC pension.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #175 on: September 24, 2019, 10:00:29 am »
So John Humphreys is a c*nt

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/sep/21/john-humphrys-attacks-bbcs-liberal-bias-days-after-retiring-from-radio-4?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Absolutely his is - and has been for years.

His right-wing/Tory bias has been glaringly apparent for some time in the way he would hammer left-of centre or Remain politicians far harder than he would Tory or Brexit.

He's typical of the problem the BBC has had since the 2010 government* - and with Brexit, there's been a failure to challenge the lies and bullshit Brexiteers have peddled since before the Referendum. The Brexit movement has been very cute in how it's always sought to portray itself as the victim of a 'liberal establishment conspiracy' and focused on the BBC. The effect has been to help all the Brexit myth and lies to become accepted by a big chunk of the population.

(as an aside, around that same post-2010 period, the BBC formally adopted a policy of giving both sides of the debate on a number of matters. This is fine in principle, but as well as the Brexit issue, we'd also have the bizarre situation where there'd be a climate change scientific expert explaining the science of how GHG's work to cause climate change, then, 'for the sake of balance', some denier crank would be given equal time and footing to spout crap and conspiracy bollocks with no basis in science. The inference is that both have equally valid viewpoints. Similar with Brexit - economic/trade/financial experts explaining the very likely impacts, then some Brexit Cultist branding it 'project fear' and giving it all the rainbows and unicorns. And again, the inference was that the arguments made by both 'sides' had equal validity)

* when Whittingdale was the minister responsible, he reportedly threatened the BBC with massive reform if they didn't become more amenable to Govt message. Studies after the 2015 GE showed the bias against Milliband's campaign. It's subtle, but persistent.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:17:30 am by Nobby Reserve »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2019, 12:35:29 am »
It's subtle, but persistent.

Been there for many many years. When I was a kid protestants were murdered, implying a crime, while Catholics were merely killed - BBC language. Always started with a report of bombs etc but then refined with the previous criteria. Yous guys, fortunately, didn't have to hear the same type of shit or deal with the reality of that constant propaganda.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2019, 06:09:54 am »

My mother is 88, lives on a small pension and doesn’t have a computer or smart phone. A postal form is perfect for her. Not everyone has, or wants a computer and smart phone.

And you don’t have to ‘prove’ you don’t watch TV. You just tick a box on the form. It’s a piece of piss and I’ve done it a few times when I move house. 

And you can make the declaration on line:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/no-licence-needed/about.app

And the reason they check:

“What happens if I tell you I don't need a TV Licence?
We will send you confirmation of your No Licence Needed declaration.
If you tell us you don’t need a licence, we may confirm this with a visit to your address. This is because when we visit and make contact, we find one in six people that tell us they don't need a TV Licence actually do need one. If you are not licensed, you risk prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000* plus any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay.”
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 06:40:42 am by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2019, 06:32:10 am »
Been there for many many years. When I was a kid protestants were murdered, implying a crime, while Catholics were merely killed - BBC language. Always started with a report of bombs etc but then refined with the previous criteria. Yous guys, fortunately, didn't have to hear the same type of shit or deal with the reality of that constant propaganda.
The news in England was using those distinctions. My partner has always talked about it, and I've known her over 20 years. Protestants, murdered, Catholics, killed. But her family left Ireland in the early 70s because of it all. She was 7. So to her it was more important than it would have been to me. She was bullied here, by teachers too, for being Irish, so knowing about it was important to her in a way it just wasn't for me. Also, it was her country, and she wanted to know why she had to leave.
You might notice that even though she was protestant she saw the discrimination against the catholic population. Well, I said her family was protestant. They were, at least when they lived in Dublin, her mother's hometown. Not a problem at all there. But not so simple when they moved to her father's hometown in Portadown. There, being Dublin-born was viewed with suspicion. They decided to leave.
I'll just also add, my Dad was a Paisley-born Protestant, and for all the time he knew my partner, and they had a lot of times drinking together, he could never get it through his head she wasn't a catholic. To him, even if she was a protestant, having family from Dublin meant she must be a bit catholic. So he had the same attitude as the people she had to leave Ireland to be safe from.

I went on a bit. Felt it was all necessary to explain agreement with you.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2019, 09:49:48 am »
My mother is 88, lives on a small pension and doesn’t have a computer or smart phone. A postal form is perfect for her. Not everyone has, or wants a computer and smart phone.

The form is downloaded, printed then filled in from the website. I'm already on a computer or smartphone. 

I understand that some people may want to go into a post office or wherever to pick one up to fill in and send back, and they should be able to. I just think there should be a method without post if your already on the website.

And you don’t have to ‘prove’ you don’t watch TV. You just tick a box on the form. It’s a piece of piss and I’ve done it a few times when I move house. 

I hvaen't edited any of the formatting on the below, this is taken directly from the refund / cancellation form.

2.1 – Licence no longer needed
If you no longer need your licence, please tick the box to confirm that this is the reason why you are applying for the refund. Insert the date from which you no longer required your licence in the boxes provided. Please note, you will not qualify for a refund if you need this licence again before it expires.
Please provide a brief explanation in the ‘Reason/Comments’ box AND attach the ORIGINAL LICENCE and A PHOTOCOPY OF ONE PIECE OF EVIDENCE* to support the date from which you say you no longer needed the licence. Examples of acceptable evidence include: a final utility bill, a tenancy agreement, confirmation of college terms, a bill of sale or receipt or a solicitor’s letter.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/no-licence-needed/about.app

That link is for if you are telling them you don't need one, not if you are cancelling one. I get to section 2 and it says "please cancel your TV licence first" and I can't proceed any further.

Anyway, I've sent it without evidence as the advice I was given above, so we'll see if I get my refund & cancellation. Fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 09:57:34 am by eddymunster »

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2019, 05:38:08 pm »
Naga Munchetty 'breached BBC rules' with Trump comments

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49825570

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2019, 08:12:24 pm »
On a day when the PM is answering to Parliament for unlawful prorogation, Trump is facing impeachment and we have had another landmark warning on climate change the BBC decided to waste 3 minutes of the Six O'Clock News vox popping a leave constituency. What enlightenment was offered? Predictably, fuck all. Pathetic.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2019, 08:22:24 am »
Naga Munchetty 'breached BBC rules' with Trump comments

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49825570

She got stuck into James Cleverly on the breakfast news this morning. He, of course, avoided answerring any of her questions and was unapologetic for Bozo`s words & behaviour.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2019, 08:34:51 am »
£12+ a month...what’s the big issue?

Way less than a Sky, BT or Virgin subscription. Less than a phone contract and less than any internet provider.

My only gripe with the BBC is that their TV sports coverage could be a lot better.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 08:39:52 am by Alan B'Stard »
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2019, 09:44:54 am »
£12+ a month...what’s the big issue?

Way less than a Sky, BT or Virgin subscription. Less than a phone contract and less than any internet provider.

My only gripe with the BBC is that their TV sports coverage could be a lot better.

Of course with Sky, BT and Virgin you have the choice of paying for it, BBC you don't - I guess that's where a lot of peoples gripes come in

Personally I like the BBC, the news reporting has got worse over the years but still miles ahead of ITV (IMO) and some of the others - saying that, I watched Sky news the other week and was quite impressed with how impartial they were....interesting times.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2019, 11:29:25 am »
Of course with Sky, BT and Virgin you have the choice of paying for it, BBC you don't - I guess that's where a lot of peoples gripes come in

Personally I like the BBC, the news reporting has got worse over the years but still miles ahead of ITV (IMO) and some of the others - saying that, I watched Sky news the other week and was quite impressed with how impartial they were....interesting times.

Channel 4 offers the best and most impartial news coverage, along with some excellent current affairs/investigatory stuff - Dispatches can be brilliant.

I agree with the principle of the Licence Fee, but the Tory Party for years hated its impartiality (accusing it of left-wing/liberal bias - look at the shite that Tory twat Humphries came out with in the Daily Heil) and soon after the 2010 GE put the BBC's plums on a block and has threatened it with a glinting axe ever since, so the BBC is now politicised and acts more as a government mouthpiece than an impartial broadcaster.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2019, 11:36:56 am »
Has anyone noticed the glut of WW2 related and Irish related programmes on BB2 and 4 recently...we're these planned when it was assumed Brexit would have happened?...WW2 programmes to remind British people how 'we won the war' ..so dont worry about rationing...and Irish/NI history to explain why it's all gone off in Northern Ireland.

Plus the never ending documentaries on Royal history ...Lucy Worsley has made about 38 docs for BBC in 10 years!!.. majority royal history docs  ..that's where all the licence money goes

The average age of the BBC1 viewer is 61..it's all about the demographic.. even for the BBC.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 11:39:56 am by FlashingBlade »

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2019, 12:23:18 pm »
Has anyone noticed the glut of WW2 related and Irish related programmes on BB2 and 4 recently...we're these planned when it was assumed Brexit would have happened?...WW2 programmes to remind British people how 'we won the war' ..so dont worry about rationing...and Irish/NI history to explain why it's all gone off in Northern Ireland.

Plus the never ending documentaries on Royal history ...Lucy Worsley has made about 38 docs for BBC in 10 years!!.. majority royal history docs  ..that's where all the licence money goes

The average age of the BBC1 viewer is 61..it's all about the demographic.. even for the BBC.

The Rise of the Nazis that's just been on actually watched like a big warning against the current state of the Tory party if anything.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2019, 12:37:34 pm »
The Rise of the Nazis that's just been on actually watched like a big warning against the current state of the Tory party if anything.

Don't think that was the aim...the English Nationalisy Socialist Party does reflect it though  as I've pointed out elswhere

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2019, 12:39:09 pm »

I'm guessing it's about the fact that the outbreak of war happened in September 1939 - 70 years ago to this month, and therefore seems an important milestone for remembering it - and educating and informing people (2 of the 3 pillars of Public Service Broadcasting).    How comfortable is the tin foil?

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2019, 01:10:01 pm »
I'm guessing it's about the fact that the outbreak of war happened in September 1939 - 70 years ago to this month, and therefore seems an important milestone for remembering it - and educating and informing people (2 of the 3 pillars of Public Service Broadcasting).    How comfortable is the tin foil?

Actualky its been like this for months most of it has been random WW2 coverage and nothing I have seen is promoted as 70th anniversary ( which the BBC is prone to do)..inc last night's Churchill and Hollywood and yanks joining the war..but thanks for your input and classes end point.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2019, 05:24:06 pm »
Actualky its been like this for months most of it has been random WW2 coverage and nothing I have seen is promoted as 70th anniversary ( which the BBC is prone to do)..inc last night's Churchill and Hollywood and yanks joining the war..but thanks for your input and classes end point.

Because we had the D-Day landing celebrations & with so few still alive it is kind of a big deal.

As for BBC4,docs don't cost a lot & BBC4 is mainly docs about history.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2019, 05:59:53 pm »
Peaky Blinders is also taking a peak at the politics of the 30s. They have a Frottage character who likes to drink and talk sh*t about immigrants. And just like today they've even got a Churchill character, glowering and frowning from the back benches.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2019, 11:28:02 pm »
The news in England was using those distinctions. My partner has always talked about it, and I've known her over 20 years. Protestants, murdered, Catholics, killed. But her family left Ireland in the early 70s because of it all. She was 7. So to her it was more important than it would have been to me. She was bullied here, by teachers too, for being Irish, so knowing about it was important to her in a way it just wasn't for me. Also, it was her country, and she wanted to know why she had to leave.
You might notice that even though she was protestant she saw the discrimination against the catholic population. Well, I said her family was protestant. They were, at least when they lived in Dublin, her mother's hometown. Not a problem at all there. But not so simple when they moved to her father's hometown in Portadown. There, being Dublin-born was viewed with suspicion. They decided to leave.
I'll just also add, my Dad was a Paisley-born Protestant, and for all the time he knew my partner, and they had a lot of times drinking together, he could never get it through his head she wasn't a catholic. To him, even if she was a protestant, having family from Dublin meant she must be a bit catholic. So he had the same attitude as the people she had to leave Ireland to be safe from.

I went on a bit. Felt it was all necessary to explain agreement with you.

Yep bigotry and racism is shit especially against those you love. Happy your missus grew above it. My mother is from Dub as well (5 times), Portadown during the troubles was "very" optimistic to say the least with a dub accent, I'm from Newry and I won't have survived :)

Back to the original point and as you reflected on, its easy to miss but the subtilty of language is very important, if you are affected it can be very impactful, if not it washes off. Just listen to the current nonsense in Westminster.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: September 28, 2019, 08:16:26 am »
She got stuck into James Cleverly on the breakfast news this morning. He, of course, avoided answerring any of her questions and was unapologetic for Bozo`s words & behaviour.

BBC journalists express an opinion regular, however they aren't receiving complaints, interestingly neither did Dan Walker who was talking to Munchetty at the time. The complaint was upheld by the BBC as she speculated why Trump was racist, not that he made a racist
The story for me are the people making a complaints.  A journalist of colour is calling on her own experience of receiving the same comments that Trump made, who the fuck complains about that and why cant we get access to who these people are?

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #195 on: September 28, 2019, 08:29:07 am »

The reason there is a "glut" of programmes about NI is that it is 50 years since the latest Troubles started. One of the great things about the BBC is the quality and range of documentaries.

There was a recent documentary about the 100 day Parliamentary battle with Charles 1. Interesting introduction to Parliamentary sovereignty over absolute monarchy.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: October 12, 2019, 06:20:03 pm »
Im kinda in 2 minds on this debate. On the one hand i like the UK having a broadcasting corporation that serves up content you do not get anywhere else and that has a distinctly British flavour. I dont watch much TV however i personally would pay the licence fee for radio 6 on its own and i am sure many other people have their own preferences.

However there is an issue in that its a non progressive tax, a flat fee not dependent of earnings. In an era of massive inequality im not sure thats sustainable as the fee will seem reasonable to many people (such as me) however for those who have a low income it can be the first item that doesnt get paid when money gets tight. The perception of the license fee as an affordable fee is subject to the economic situation of each individual. In essence massive inequality undermines any sense that the license fee is affordable for all.

Sadly the BBC seems oblivious to this and has been intent on prosecuting as many poor people as possible. If its a choice between keeping the BBC and doing away with the harrassment of the poor im afraid i have to line up with the poor, even though i do find it a worthwhile service for me.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: October 17, 2019, 06:23:17 am »
Nicky Morgan has raised the possibility of the Beeb becoming an optional subscription service. It could be something the Tories campaign on during the next election.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #198 on: October 17, 2019, 06:52:10 am »
Im kinda in 2 minds on this debate. On the one hand i like the UK having a broadcasting corporation that serves up content you do not get anywhere else and that has a distinctly British flavour. I dont watch much TV however i personally would pay the licence fee for radio 6 on its own and i am sure many other people have their own preferences.

However there is an issue in that its a non progressive tax, a flat fee not dependent of earnings. In an era of massive inequality im not sure thats sustainable as the fee will seem reasonable to many people (such as me) however for those who have a low income it can be the first item that doesnt get paid when money gets tight. The perception of the license fee as an affordable fee is subject to the economic situation of each individual. In essence massive inequality undermines any sense that the license fee is affordable for all.

Sadly the BBC seems oblivious to this and has been intent on prosecuting as many poor people as possible. If its a choice between keeping the BBC and doing away with the harrassment of the poor im afraid i have to line up with the poor, even though i do find it a worthwhile service for me.

Surely the aim should be to deal with poverty, low pay and inequality rather than accept poverty and abolish the licence fee?

It is really important, in my view, that everyone pays towards the BBC. If it went to subscription only that would allow its enemies to attack it with new vigour because it’s just another media outlet.

It’s an example, like Brexit, of throwing something away because it’s not perfect.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: October 17, 2019, 08:37:01 am »
Freeing the BBC of the licence fee might also free it from having to kowtow to the government of the day. So the unintended consequence of Patel's action may be to give us stronger critical coverage of the Tories. The BBC 'brand' will still stand for quality among the general, non-Tory population and the world at large, so that could be highly effective.
Just being devil's advocate.