Author Topic: Lawless Liverpool?  (Read 181307 times)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Re: Lawless Liverpool?
« Reply #1360 on: May 1, 2023, 02:01:05 pm »
Darren Gee had the gen on this in his live.  Apparently Chanel was the grass. Got offered a big Ken at Chester Zoo so sang like a canary. Is now in witness protection trying to perfect a wool accent and going by the name of Lonsdale.
:lmao :lmao :lmao :wellin

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1361 on: May 1, 2023, 02:56:48 pm »
Dese parrots ruin lives mate d'you understand what I'm sayin to ya?

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1362 on: May 3, 2023, 02:57:11 pm »
Fucks sake

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/03/man-shot-in-front-garden-of-liverpool-house-near-home-of-olivia-pratt-korbel

Merseyside police said officers were called to reports of gunshots and screaming in the Huyton area of Liverpool at 9.45pm on Tuesday.

A 37-year-old man had been shot multiple times in the legs and feet after being chased into the front garden of a house on Brookwood Road, the force said.

The street of semi-detached homes is less than two miles from where nine-year-old Olivia was murdered when Thomas Cashman opened fire on a convicted drug dealer who had burst into her home last August.

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #1364 on: May 4, 2023, 09:55:26 am »
I got an Uber into town yesterday and it was quite a nice looking Mercedes E Class. I jumped into the back and was chatting to the driver, a fella from Afghanistan who has been in Liverpool for a good few years.

Anyway, gets to the lights on West Derby Road by The Belmont Pub and we stop next to some kid of about 11 on a moped. He actually peers into the passenger side of the car and goes, "yer a bit close there aren't ya!" to the driver, who says, "pardon?", this little twat replies, "you heard me fookin towel head, mind me moped!". I wound down the window and shouted, "ayyyyyy ya little c*nt, fook off!".

I couldn't believe it, the audacity of these kids, going worse!
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1365 on: May 4, 2023, 09:58:52 pm »
I got an Uber into town yesterday and it was quite a nice looking Mercedes E Class. I jumped into the back and was chatting to the driver, a fella from Afghanistan who has been in Liverpool for a good few years.

Anyway, gets to the lights on West Derby Road by The Belmont Pub and we stop next to some kid of about 11 on a moped. He actually peers into the passenger side of the car and goes, "yer a bit close there aren't ya!" to the driver, who says, "pardon?", this little twat replies, "you heard me fookin towel head, mind me moped!". I wound down the window and shouted, "ayyyyyy ya little c*nt, fook off!".

I couldn't believe it, the audacity of these kids, going worse!

The cheeky little get

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1366 on: May 4, 2023, 10:57:00 pm »
Merseyside is the new Brooklyn.

Huyton is a complete shit hole, has been for decades. Looks nice enough, but it's full of scumbags.

I know a woman who just moved there as her daughter goes to a school in Huyton. She lived in Kirkby and works in Speke, so she wanted to shorten her commute. I hope she realises what she's let herself in for.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1367 on: May 5, 2023, 08:29:22 am »
Huyton is a complete shit hole, has been for decades. Looks nice enough, but it's full of scumbags.

I know a woman who just moved there as her daughter goes to a school in Huyton. She lived in Kirkby and works in Speke, so she wanted to shorten her commute. I hope she realises what she's let herself in for.

As someone who grew up and still lives in Huyton, this statement is sadly true. Even the other night, someone had their legs and feet shot to bits in a front garden.

That said, is Huyton any worse than Kirkby, the Dingle, Speke, Netherton? Maybe.

I just wonder that in an era of instant news, social media, internet etc, we don't have to look far to see crime reports. Yet years ago you relied on the Echo.
Again, I just wonder if its always been this bad, but because of the era we live in, its more visible.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #1368 on: May 5, 2023, 11:14:52 am »
I just wonder that in an era of instant news, social media, internet etc, we don't have to look far to see crime reports. Yet years ago you relied on the Echo.
Again, I just wonder if its always been this bad, but because of the era we live in, its more visible.

To be honest, I think the Echo website plays a big part in that as well. Not living in Liverpool I don't know what part that website plays in people's daily life (i.e. them checking the site regularily about what's going on), but the way they put the focus on crime is absolutely shameful in my view. I'm only looking at the site from time to time when I want to find something specific, but their homepage is basically just LFC and Everton news and some other pieces of local news mixed in with a shitload of mugshots of people who have done something criminal whether it's domestic violence, drug dealing, stealing or whatever. I get that that's all stuff you probably need to report, but there should be a balance and I'm pretty sure there's more local stuff going on that's not crime related. Problem is, crime gets clicks and they've full committed to that it seems, which is a shame...

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1369 on: May 5, 2023, 11:29:49 am »
To be honest, I think the Echo website plays a big part in that as well..
While in was on holiday recently I deleted my Liverpool Echo app because I was getting constant notifications from it with all manner of bad news / crime stories. It depressed the hell out of me, so I binned it off. It was just a constant stream of criminality and negativity.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1370 on: May 5, 2023, 05:23:44 pm »
While in was on holiday recently I deleted my Liverpool Echo app because I was getting constant notifications from it with all manner of bad news / crime stories. It depressed the hell out of me, so I binned it off. It was just a constant stream of criminality and negativity.

And all by a ‘dad’, a ‘mum’ or a ‘Nan’.

And virtually none by a ‘grandad’. Or is that two many characters?

Offline AlphaDelta

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1371 on: June 9, 2023, 08:48:57 am »
Red Berets accurate assessment of Huyton came to fruition yesterday when someone was murdered in my street. Despite working from home I knew absolutely nothing until one of the neighbours phoned to ask why there was half of Merseyside Police in the road.

The word on the street is a lad, who is a horrible little cnut, had a party as his parents were away and ended up killing someone.

I don't know if its just me, but the thought of someone's life being ended in such circumstances, whilst the rest of us slept soundly in our beds only a few houses away, is absolutely horrific.

Huyton is indeed a shithole.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #1372 on: July 4, 2023, 01:08:24 pm »
Merseyside is the new Brooklyn The Bronx.

You wha?
Kill the humourless

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1373 on: July 4, 2023, 01:30:28 pm »

Since the Daily Post went the Echo has had a full monopoly on local news, it does nothing but post pictures of thugs on the front page (that includes Chippy of course)  and do 'court reporting'. Even though crime rates are higher in Manchester, the MEN does not have the same approach.

I hate the echo
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #1374 on: July 4, 2023, 01:52:23 pm »
It's an awful rag. But it also wouldn't do it if it didn't generate the clicks.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1375 on: July 4, 2023, 02:45:27 pm »
Yes, totally but then it seems like this approach is unique to Liverpool, maybe the thugs round here can read.

It also does not help that it is not actually a local paper.

I think local news has fallen apart in recent years, especially newspapers.

The other issue is that it is so full of crap and adverts that it is painful to use.

They seem to only use court reporters locally so surely it cannot be beyond the capability that a local news source, based in Liverpool, could operate as an alternative.

On reflection probably not as there is no will or money I suppose. Everything needs to be syndicated these days to survive. That's the price for getting your news free.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1376 on: July 4, 2023, 06:19:09 pm »
Absolutely no idea why anyone would read that rag any more. It is in no way a local paper.

And if you even try to use that abomination of a website, then more fool you.

There is no "news" on it. its just illiterate sensationalist garbage.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1377 on: July 4, 2023, 07:23:32 pm »
The Echo is bottom feeder since Reach PLC brought out Trinity Mirror, the website is unreadable, 99% of the stories are pure clickbait, then obsessing over the latest 99p must have item from Aldi, their was an obsession publishing articles with anyone who has a loose connection to Liverpool/Merseyside region.
#Sausages

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #1378 on: July 4, 2023, 09:55:07 pm »
It's an awful rag. But it also wouldn't do it if it didn't generate the clicks.

I think the Echo is a very sad example of what the internet has done to traditional media and it also shows where journalism (at least the majority of it) will end up. It's there to generate clicks and to earn money by those clicks. That's why they're doing what they're doing. It's the easiest way to do things. You need someone to go to court and maybe you need someone with contacts in the local police force. That's all you need for those stories. Add some person who looks through social media for stories there and you've basically covered all bases, if you get someone to report on the footy as well. One of the sadest things I've ever seen on the Echo website in terms of journalism was a story about some weird smell somewhere. It was basically just an article saying there's a weird smell and quotes from people on Facebook or Twitter. A true journalist would have called city hall or someone to ask whether they know where the smell comes from, but why do that, when you can get the same amount of clicks without it.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1379 on: July 5, 2023, 12:26:43 pm »
It's difficult for traditional media to be fair. Things like LadBible came along and changed the game. People scoffed at them when they entered the arena but they've legitimately changed the game.

The Echo seem to have taken the attitude of "if you can't beat them, join them", but they're obviously just not as good as their competitors at either end of the spectrum. Look at their football coverage. You can't compete with the quality of a site like The Athletic or other subscription-based models because they literally poach the best / most popular journalists. You can't also compete with the likes of Sport Bible (or whoever) in terms of quantity because they're literally just churning out non-stop clickbait that, like it or lump it, is getting tonnes of views + ad revenue and quickly becomes a better business model.

The Echo then fits into that middle ground of not knowing which direction to go down. But whatever tactic they choose, there's no real excuse for just how unreadable the site is. The rare occasion I go on one of their articles it's an absolute mess filled where the text just gets swallowed by advertisers and sponsors.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1380 on: July 5, 2023, 02:00:16 pm »
Serious question, has anybody ever bought (or thought of buying) something as a result of a pop up ad, I haven't
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1381 on: July 5, 2023, 02:43:53 pm »
Serious question, has anybody ever bought (or thought of buying) something as a result of a pop up ad, I haven't

No, and I know from my work that click-through rates on those are notoriously shite: you're talking 0.3% if you're lucky and there's then no guarantee that will result in a sale. I suppose from an advertisers perspective, it's all exposure though. It's the reason why shops in Times Square make a loss. They're essentially giant, interactive billboards.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1382 on: July 5, 2023, 03:58:32 pm »
I think the problem is that the advertising stops people using the website or at least they leave quickly because of the mess it is.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1383 on: July 5, 2023, 04:06:39 pm »
I think the problem is that the advertising stops people using the website or at least they leave quickly because of the mess it is.
As I said earlier, I deleted their app due to the endless stream of negative shite that I was getting notifications for. I've recently slipped back into looking at their website on my phone for local news. It's unreadable though. Within seconds the screen is obliterated by adverts. It's an absolute shambles, and it must be costing them money because people must log off in their droves. I find myself getting off it as soon as the ads block out the story I was trying to read. Whoever designed that dog's dinner needs sacking and given a poor reference.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #1384 on: July 5, 2023, 05:09:27 pm »
Yes, totally but then it seems like this approach is unique to Liverpool, maybe the thugs round here can read.

You might well be right about that. To be honest I don't read any other local papers, so I wouldn't know. When I have visited them, they have all been in the basic format of the Echo, but in regards to content who knows!

I think the Echo is a very sad example of what the internet has done to traditional media and it also shows where journalism (at least the majority of it) will end up. It's there to generate clicks and to earn money by those clicks. That's why they're doing what they're doing. It's the easiest way to do things. You need someone to go to court and maybe you need someone with contacts in the local police force. That's all you need for those stories. Add some person who looks through social media for stories there and you've basically covered all bases, if you get someone to report on the footy as well. One of the sadest things I've ever seen on the Echo website in terms of journalism was a story about some weird smell somewhere. It was basically just an article saying there's a weird smell and quotes from people on Facebook or Twitter. A true journalist would have called city hall or someone to ask whether they know where the smell comes from, but why do that, when you can get the same amount of clicks without it.

It's difficult for traditional media to be fair. Things like LadBible came along and changed the game. People scoffed at them when they entered the arena but they've legitimately changed the game.

The Echo seem to have taken the attitude of "if you can't beat them, join them", but they're obviously just not as good as their competitors at either end of the spectrum. Look at their football coverage. You can't compete with the quality of a site like The Athletic or other subscription-based models because they literally poach the best / most popular journalists. You can't also compete with the likes of Sport Bible (or whoever) in terms of quantity because they're literally just churning out non-stop clickbait that, like it or lump it, is getting tonnes of views + ad revenue and quickly becomes a better business model.

The Echo then fits into that middle ground of not knowing which direction to go down. But whatever tactic they choose, there's no real excuse for just how unreadable the site is. The rare occasion I go on one of their articles it's an absolute mess filled where the text just gets swallowed by advertisers and sponsors.

Both good points. I think Buzzfeed was the other big one in regards to "disrupting" the traditional media with clickbait headlines to generate ad revenue, and shite content. Like all the other "disrupters" though, its business model doesn't actually generate any sustainable revenue hence why its gone bust. But not before dealing serious damage to the quality of the media ladscape.

As I said earlier, I deleted their app due to the endless stream of negative shite that I was getting notifications for. I've recently slipped back into looking at their website on my phone for local news. It's unreadable though. Within seconds the screen is obliterated by adverts. It's an absolute shambles, and it must be costing them money because people must log off in their droves. I find myself getting off it as soon as the ads block out the story I was trying to read. Whoever designed that dog's dinner needs sacking and given a poor reference.

If anyone hasn't seen it, it is well worth signing up to "The Post" (named after the old post).

https://www.livpost.co.uk/

Some genuinely good reporting and investigative journalism in there. Basically doing what the Echo should be doing. But, because they aren't a clickbait machine and are just a handful of people passionate about local journalism, they do depend on a subscription to run (you get a limited number of free articles). I'd say it is definitely worth paying for though, and if I still lived in Liverpool I would.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #1385 on: July 5, 2023, 05:44:20 pm »
60 year old Curtis Warren arrested again for breaches to his serious crime prevention order.

Still has well over £100m out there that he won't give up

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1386 on: July 5, 2023, 05:45:03 pm »
Print is dead.
Kill the humourless

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1387 on: July 6, 2023, 08:04:06 am »
Print is dead.

The Echo website isn’t a poster boy for on line media though.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1388 on: July 6, 2023, 11:40:17 am »

Clickbait.

Imagine being the editor and having to accept shite on site cos it pays the bills.
Kill the humourless

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1389 on: July 6, 2023, 12:12:37 pm »
Print is dead.

Overdosed on painkillers I think.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #1390 on: July 6, 2023, 03:53:21 pm »
Connor Chapman found guilty of killing Elle Edwards.

Rot in prison you little rat. Just read up on his own defences closing statement, even he couldn't say a nice word about him
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1391 on: July 6, 2023, 04:04:48 pm »

Rot in prison you little rat. Just read up on his own defences closing statement, even he couldn't say a nice word about him
Good, c*nt.
Hope they feed him with glass for the rest of his miserable life.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #1392 on: July 6, 2023, 04:45:56 pm »

First and foremost, my heart goes out to the family of the poor, innocent girl who was killed.

Another two low-life oxygen-thieves off the streets. Just a pity the two other low-lifes he was trying to kill survived.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1393 on: July 6, 2023, 04:59:36 pm »
Kill the humourless

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1394 on: July 6, 2023, 05:15:19 pm »

4 weeks of trial and they found him guilty in less than 3 hours

c*nts

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #1395 on: July 7, 2023, 09:26:29 am »
Reading on the Echo about this lad. Been in trouble with the police since he was 14 basically.

Zero qualifications. Has a few kids himself.

Got me thinking, how the hell do we sort people like him out?
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1396 on: July 7, 2023, 10:13:39 am »
Reading on the Echo about this lad. Been in trouble with the police since he was 14 basically.

I really don't know how we sort them out once they've reached the stage he and his type are at. The problem is multifaceted, and no doubt the answers are too.

For me, though, I believe prevention is far better and far less costly in the long-run than looking to cure things after they've gone to hell.

Sadly, I think our country is run in such a lazy, neglectful way. Systems and people are run into the ground until they break, rather than nurtured and well maintained so they don't. We all then stand around looking puzzled over how to fix the mess that's been left to fester and grow.

I think early intervention is necessary. Support available for those who are going off the rails early on. Also punishment for those who refuse to address their ways. Good education is crucial. The issue of how antisocial behavior impacts communities should also be looked at and discussed in schools.

I remember the start of the 80s and the neglect that was rampant back then. I saw children acting up without consequence. Being cheeky turned into being abusive. Being abusive turned into being violent. Being like that led to entitlement. That entitlement led to them then breaking into cars and stealing radios and contents. That progressed to then stealing the actual cars are ragging them. That turned into then burning them out. Getting away with all that led to them burgling houses and shops locally. That then led to them robbing cars and travelling elsewhere to burgle and rob. Only then did they really start coming onto the radar of the police. Even then it tended to be a slap on the wrist.

Drugs came into the equation. Some became addled addicts, some became dealers. The money and the need to acquire money in that world keeps the ever growing spiral of decline and crime going. All due to neglect. All down to not addressing things at grass roots level, but waiting until the problem is well established and rooted.

Where was the intervention? Where was the focus on prevention? Where was the willingness to address issues as they arise rather than waiting until it's too late?

What we now have are emotionally immature manchildren running round with machine guns protecting high value drugs rackets. Not long ago these were scruffy ketwigged dickheads hanging around outside shops being a nuisance. Society then stands back and let's them quickly work through the cycle I mentioned earlier without any serious intervention until it's far too late.

Other things that don't help is the media and TV glamourisation of violence, gangsterism and the fetishisation of guns. Too many people these days can't separate all that from real life, and they want to emulate it.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1397 on: July 7, 2023, 10:23:51 am »
Other things that don't help is the media and TV glamourisation of violence, gangsterism and the fetishisation of guns. Too many people these days can't separate all that from real life, and they want to emulate it.

I agree with a lot of what you've said but this bottom part is absolutely bollocks and something the older generations always spout whenever something like this happens. It's all TV/Films/Games fault because he loved to play violent games/watch violent shows, etc...

Millions of people watch those things and don't turn out like this. So it has nothing to do with the above. This is driven by several things, which you have already pointed out. Socio-economic factors, access to decent education, all things like that

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1398 on: July 7, 2023, 11:08:59 am »
I agree with a lot of what you've said but this bottom part is absolutely bollocks and something the older generations always spout whenever something like this happens. It's all TV/Films/Games fault because he loved to play violent games/watch violent shows, etc...

Millions of people watch those things and don't turn out like this. So it has nothing to do with the above. This is driven by several things, which you have already pointed out. Socio-economic factors, access to decent education, all things like that
I still think it can play a part. TV/film plays a big part in how culture evolves. We see its influence everywhere. It shapes attitudes and opinion. It can demonise something or normalise it via constant exposure over long periods of time.

Show me a person who tells you they've never been influenced by something on TV and I'll show you either a liar of someone totally lacking in awareness. Of course, not everyone desensitised in such a way goes on to commit crimes. I've not suggested that. I definitely stand by my feeling that endless desensitisation doesn't help in the cases of those who are emotionally immature, lacking identity and easily influenced, though.

Social media shapes attitudes. TV and film also shape attitudes. They are extremely powerful mediums with global reach. I take and adopt things I see that help me in my field of interests, as does everyone else. If your interests are sinister, criminal, violent or whatever, you will always find things that stimulate you further.

For those predisposed to such negative, anti-social, criminal behaviour, the endless stream of glamourisation of such traits does not help.

I think that it's often the older generation that mentions this because they've lived long enough and had enough experience to see the link. As I said, I don't believe TV suddenly turns well-adjusted, level-headed people into brainless, violent criminals. What I'm saying is the culture it often glamourises is not a healthy one, and it's one that some rudderless, emotionally immature people buy into in order to build some kind of identity. I've seen it when counselling some younger males on a number of occasions.

I won't labour the point though, because I think there are many other, bigger, factors that lead to the formation of such characters as the murderer in question here.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2023, 11:12:55 am by Son of Spion »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1399 on: July 7, 2023, 11:11:44 am »

Think the first thing to say is that it is very easy speaking about the lowest of the low from a law abiding persons perspective. You can spend forever speaking about the whole socio-economic dynamic of people, the area and the systems that do and do not allow them to operate and how they should be treated.

Do you just ship them off to an island and let them go at each other purge style or do you attempt to rehabilitate them no matter the crimes or how many chances they have had in life? Where is the balance?

The easy answer is that you dont. You lose them the second they hit that lifestyle, then every system you have in place from school to social services etc fails because it involves too much work on both sides. On the side of the offender it's easier and 'better' to earn more money with that lifestyle than ever actually working for it. On the side of the the services, the years of austerity has stripped out any local help they can provide to pathways to help (even when that offender needs multiple chances).

The longer, harder and more expensive answer is that you need to invest. Invest in youth services to catch these people before they get into not only the criminal system or after time spent in young offender institutions. Invest in tackling the criminality of the drugs trade. Invest in the criminal system so that when those kids are in there that they get the skills they never got through education and then when those kids get out, that they are given the chance to rehabilitate and have a life beyond crime. The easiest thing for Chapman would have been ship him away from the Wirral and the estate network he lived his life in.

You could spend generations trying to 'fix' it. But it's not going to happen.