Author Topic: Luther BBC 1  (Read 30451 times)

Offline GonzalezIsARed

• Most prickless poster ever
  • Legacy Fan
Luther BBC 1
« on: May 11, 2010, 09:36:34 pm »
A dark psychological crime drama starring Idris Elba as Luther, a man struggling with his own terrible demons, who might be as dangerous as the depraved murderers he hunts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s8jk0

Watched last weeks and thought it was fantastic. Anyone else watch it?

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Luther BBC 1
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:35:32 pm »
I thought last week's was alright, just about worth watching.

This week's was really good though. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

Offline Ben_

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 03:07:04 pm »
Thought it's been brilliant so far.

Elba is absolutely top notch.

Keep expecting Avon to turn up mind.

Need to re-watch The Wire again soon.
The match kicks off in 30 minutes ya silly twat

"This European Cup final is won, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 0."

"This scoreline is absolutely staggering, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 3!" - Five Live

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:41:55 pm »
Think its fairly decent, its on tonight I think - the relationship between the psycho girl and Luther seems like a spin on the Silence of the lambs relationship, from what I saw on the preview of tonight episode where she gives him advise on the murder/criminal.

Offline sheff-jim

• Legacy Fan
  • Schizophrenic?! I'm bleeding Quadrophenic
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 08:19:20 pm »
I was really looking forward to this series, but I've been a little bit disappointed by it so far.

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 11:18:20 am »
This is good stuff. Obviously not universally appreciated, but i think its very very well done.Alice is a babe. As is Zoe, and Idris is really good at being just about morally right. Last weeks and last nights were excellent in my opinion, didnt theink the soldier one was great, but the classic serial killers have been fresh and frightening as far as i'm concerned. Some very good acting too. Better than frost and midsummer murders surely.

Offline gomez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 01:06:54 am »
Thought the last two were pretty good, still abit far fetched with the serial killer helper though. Decent enough.

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 10:52:13 am »
Yeah but the serial killer helper, although making it less believable on one level, gives it that comic book quality that seems to give it more appeal as entertainment for me. The style and pitch of this is nearly, very nearly excellent. I agree its not quite there but its getting better, the last two murderers have been very well portrayed. And once again Alice, although as mad as a bag of frogs, is fit as, and very funny. Actually its the comedy between the two of them that makes this that little bit different.

Offline Gromit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 11:58:46 am »
Yeah but the serial killer helper, although making it less believable on one level, gives it that comic book quality that seems to give it more appeal as entertainment for me. The style and pitch of this is nearly, very nearly excellent. I agree its not quite there but its getting better, the last two murderers have been very well portrayed. And once again Alice, although as mad as a bag of frogs, is fit as, and very funny. Actually its the comedy between the two of them that makes this that little bit different.

She's starting to put me off this show, everyone is playing it straight and she's in panto.  As she stalks Luther, his wife and her lover, I just keep thinking you're a cop and a lawyer, surely a restraining order, a change of locks and new phone numbers, are not beyond your means.

Offline BadlyDrawnBoy

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: June 5, 2010, 05:21:09 am »
This show has ben fantastic.

This latest, episode 5 was out of control!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #10 on: June 8, 2010, 10:04:48 pm »
Bonkers and brilliant fun as usual.

The bit where he'd just stabbed Luther and then heard the girl say "oh, Ian... " was awesome.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 8, 2010, 10:49:15 pm »
spoilers mate ^

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #12 on: June 8, 2010, 10:57:37 pm »
I thought the general internet rule was that if it's been on terrestrial tv then anything goes?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 9, 2010, 04:18:56 pm »
Really enjoyed this. Eps 5 & 6 had a few good twists in it and I hope it gets renewed.

The bit where he'd just stabbed Luther and then heard the girl say "oh, Ian... " was awesome.

As was the closing line "What happens now?"
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 9, 2010, 04:27:14 pm »
Boss program hope it comes back on and Idris Elba as an actor is great!
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline brunny

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 12:11:04 am »
Was that the season finale?
http://game2.mafiadeath.com/r/35526.php
MafiaDeath Username: gabrown

Offline Red in Korea

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 02:44:52 am »

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 07:11:12 am »
A lad I know is in this as one of the main characters (Ds Ripley), still not watched it yet but looks like all episodes are on iplayer so will take a look

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 10:05:10 pm »
A lad I know is in this as one of the main characters (Ds Ripley), still not watched it yet but looks like all episodes are on iplayer so will take a look
Avert your eyes......
Idris Elba as an actor is great!
Yeah, there's something different and original about him.
I'm guessing the start of the next series will be that she disappeared from the scene and Paul McGann says he shot the copper in revenge.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 10:07:07 pm »
I only really watched it for Elba but it was better than I thought it would be. That woman, Alice, was mental however.

Offline Red in Korea

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 12:25:40 am »
I'm guessing the start of the next series will be that she disappeared from the scene and Paul McGann says he shot the copper in revenge.

Is what I am thinking, especially with Luther's knife wound. Hope there is a second series.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 12:33:33 am »
That woman, Alice, was mental however.

She'd get it though.

I was initially disappointed by the first 2-3 episodes because I was expecting something epic, afterall, the main dude was in the Wire. When you've had a role that good it's pretty hard to disassociate yourself from it. The last two episodes were great though I thought and I genuinely didn't see the twist with his matge coming. ... Though that probably has something to do with how unbelievably two dimensional all the characters apart from Luther and the redhead were.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Ben_

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 01:58:28 am »
Finally got round to watching the last one today, thought it was top notch again. The series has built up really well, and I look forward to the next season.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 04:30:53 am »
Alice is the best tv character ever.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 10:50:36 am »

Offline Chaztastic

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 11:27:27 am »
Two Luther threads on the go? It wasn't that feckin' good!

Anyway, just got around to watching the final episode and have been reserving judgement on that basis, no spoilers required. A series which had a couple of interesting ideas and included one exceptionally well-written episode, but lost the war against cliche, featured some truly appalling acting as well as too many conceits which stretched the realms of believability beyond breaking point.

Elba undoubtedly has the screen presence to carry a leading role such as this, but he deserves a better script and some - any - support from his fellow cast members.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 04:19:08 pm »
Elba undoubtedly has the screen presence to carry a leading role such as this, but he deserves a better script and some - any - support from his fellow cast members.

The nutter wasn't bad to be fair. But that was definitely true of the characters at the police station. Especially that shite cockney bint whose character was so unimaginative and flat that she might as well have been lifted from a Beverley Hills Cop sequel. "'Eee's a faaakin mavaaareeek guv', sort 'im 'aart!"
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 04:26:50 pm »
Two Luther threads on the go? It wasn't that feckin' good!

Anyway, just got around to watching the final episode and have been reserving judgement on that basis, no spoilers required. A series which had a couple of interesting ideas and included one exceptionally well-written episode, but lost the war against cliche, featured some truly appalling acting as well as too many conceits which stretched the realms of believability beyond breaking point.

All in all I think that's a reasonable take. Except I think Elba's performances were so pivotal to the show and his presence so powerful that the others around him did tend to drown a bit in his wake rather than rise to the occasion - quite the contrast to the Wire where he was surrounded by stellar performances in virtually every role. Their collective limpness - McGann apart - probably seemed worse than it was because of the comparison. Still, I enjoyed it overall. Certainly very watchable with Elba in that lead role.

Offline Chaztastic

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 11:27:44 am »
The nutter wasn't bad to be fair. But that was definitely true of the characters at the police station. Especially that shite cockney bint whose character was so unimaginative and flat that she might as well have been lifted from a Beverley Hills Cop sequel. "'Eee's a faaakin mavaaareeek guv', sort 'im 'aart!"

She was the worst culprit. An actor? On her mother's side maybe. And I'm sorry, the one playing Ginger Nuts... if ever a role-type demands subtlety and nuance to be convincing it's that one. Instead we got an entirely risible "I've seen comic book pyschos, I KNOW how to play this role" car-crash of an effort.  I fully expected her to be licking razor blades with that "see how mental I am" look that never left her face since - what a shock - we knew she was a mentalist before Luther did (which in itself is another failing, never patronise the viewer).

All in all I think that's a reasonable take. Except I think Elba's performances were so pivotal to the show and his presence so powerful that the others around him did tend to drown a bit in his wake rather than rise to the occasion - quite the contrast to the Wire where he was surrounded by stellar performances in virtually every role. Their collective limpness - McGann apart - probably seemed worse than it was because of the comparison. Still, I enjoyed it overall. Certainly very watchable with Elba in that lead role.

I'd agree with "watchable". It certainly wasn't Elba's fault he was dealing with an inferior script, vision, directing and support. To draw parallels with any previous work would be futile and unfair, suffice to say he did well with what was put in front of him.

Offline Chaztastic

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 11:29:50 am »
Oh, and Steven Mackintosh (DCI Reed) ain't half looking like Tim Lovejoy these days.

I feel for the bugger, I really do.

Offline Rigden

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2010, 11:05:09 pm »
Right. Watched in two days and i enjoyed it, especially some of the details such as the way Elba sat and such stuff.

The ending is such a cliff hanger that it looks like they will continue with a second season.
“Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

Offline Red in Korea

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2010, 06:00:00 am »
Right. Watched in two days and i enjoyed it, especially some of the details such as the way Elba sat and such stuff.

The ending is such a cliff hanger that it looks like they will continue with a second season.

Seriously?

Offline Rigden

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2010, 03:12:34 pm »
Seriously?

Seriously. Just an example, I enjoy small details like that.
“Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

Offline Red in Korea

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 02:16:41 am »
Seriously. Just an example, I enjoy small details like that.

Well, it partly makes me want to go through and watch them again to see how he sits, and partly makes me think you're a bit wobbly ;)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 09:04:52 pm »
Second season just starting :D

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 10:03:37 pm »
Thought it was good. Although I cringed at the live streaming to the police computer bit. Seriously - how many people would know how to do something like that.

Offline Ben_

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2011, 10:18:39 pm »
Thought that was boss.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2011, 10:20:43 pm »
Thought it was good. Although I cringed at the live streaming to the police computer bit. Seriously - how many people would know how to do something like that.

I know a couple, however they work for the US government. ;)
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2011, 10:21:28 pm »
Thought that was boss.

Yeah me too. Really enjoyed that hour and looking forward to next weeks.

That last scene genuinely had me on the edge of me seat.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2011, 10:22:40 pm »
Very enjoyable hokum.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."