Author Topic: CL: Liverpool 2 vs 1 Ajax Salah 17’ Kudus 27’ Matip 89’  (Read 16568 times)

Online SouthDerryLaggo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Enjoy these times
Re: CL: Liverpool 2 vs 1 Ajax Salah 17’ Kudus 27’ Matip 89’
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2022, 10:15:12 pm »
Phew. Yes lads
YNWA

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2022, 10:15:47 pm »
indeed.

Mad that someone earlier said we didn’t create much?

I swear some just find a way to have a whinge when there isn’t much need beyond the brainfartish defenisve lapse for their goal (and only shot on goal).
We didn’t create many clear cut chances. More half chances really. Great to get them win, and it was deserved but we definitely need to improve.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2022, 10:16:18 pm »
Massive win.

Is Matip our most creative player?

Why does Trent stand over freekicks he clearly is not going to take - surely he would be better off on the edge of area as he has a shot on him.

Finally we score from a corner.

Good job.

True but surely Bassey was at fault for that goal?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2022, 10:16:26 pm »

Also... Diaz is a fucking gem, he just never stops
Duracell bunny.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2022, 10:16:31 pm »
Ferdinand is butt hurt :lmao :lmao :lmao

How's United champions league group looking this season?

;D
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: September 13, 2022, 10:16:35 pm »
Much better and we deserved to win by more

The lads looked so much more composed and even better the fight we're used to seeing was back. Chasing, pressing, screaming for the ball, wanting the win... it was lovely to see.

We need to build on this

Also... Diaz is a fucking gem, he just never stops
I am really happy with the performance regardless of the result because the basics were there- compactness, intensity...

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 13, 2022, 10:16:49 pm »
Thank fuck for that.

I’ve taken a step back from here over the last few weeks as it’s been genuinely getting me down watching us, I think it’s the rapid fall from grace, even the euphoria lf the Newcastle match was always caveated by the fact I felt the performance was mostly poor and it was papering over the cracks.

Tonight was a real pick me up, a much better performance and a last minute winner that felt fully deserved.

If we can get two wins against Rangers now that should have us in a really commanding position in the group, won’t be easy obviously but certainly achievable.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #207 on: September 13, 2022, 10:16:53 pm »
Jota is some player
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline rothers

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #208 on: September 13, 2022, 10:17:35 pm »
Great win given our form, but BT Sport feeding the narrative that Trent is reason for all our problems

It’s like they’ve never seen how we play over the last 5 seasons…

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #209 on: September 13, 2022, 10:17:43 pm »
Not perfect. Not always scintillating. Not easy.

But what a relief.

Offline touchlineban

• Main Stander
  • Nothing Personal
« Reply #210 on: September 13, 2022, 10:17:53 pm »
Thiago, Tsimikas and Diaz absolute ballers tonight.

Couldn't help notice though, how many of our shots hitting the middle of the goal.  Any chance someone could hit the corner of the goal?

That said, excellent performance.
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit posting."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: September 13, 2022, 10:17:55 pm »
Jota is some player

Showed today that his build up play is massively underrated as well. He did an almost Firmino role in there coming deep.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: September 13, 2022, 10:18:07 pm »
How's United champions league group looking this season?

;D
Ooops... :D

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: September 13, 2022, 10:18:18 pm »
Our attack needs shooting practice. No days off from now till next game for them

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #214 on: September 13, 2022, 10:19:06 pm »
The ball hit the same fella in the face aster it went 2-1

Why didn’t it hurt as much as it did before when he dropped to the floor?

It’s a head scratcher for sure
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: September 13, 2022, 10:19:11 pm »
Great win given our form, but BT Sport feeding the narrative that Trent is reason for all our problems

It’s like they’ve never seen how we play over the last 5 seasons…

Trent played well going forward but I hated him receiving the ball in the centre forward position. Less tactical smartarsery please ;D

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #216 on: September 13, 2022, 10:19:16 pm »
Showed today that his build up play is massively underrated as well. He did an almost Firmino role in there coming deep.

He’s so good and his movement is underrated too.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #217 on: September 13, 2022, 10:19:32 pm »
True but surely Bassey was at fault for that goal?

He doesn't like being called Shirley
TheMissionary
YNWA

Online Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: September 13, 2022, 10:19:32 pm »
Great result, marked improvement in intensity/effort, and great character to go right until the end and win at the death. Bonus that it was funny as fuck watching the Ajax players crying about timewasting having spent the entire night doing just that.

Still cannot for the life of me understand what we are doing with the right hand side though. Trent was playing centre forward at points? Felt like we just weren't playing a RB for stretches of the match and that's fine (to an extent) when you have as much of the ball as we did but we'll get murdered (and have done all season) playing that in certain games and there seems to be an unwillingness to adapt our approach game by game - you just know we'll play the same way every time and other teams will have plenty of success taking advantage of it. Even at 1-1 they missed a great opportunity when Trent was left 1 vs 2 at the far post and if that goes in, I don't think we're winning that game.

It just feels like we're trying to be too clever. Oh your RB spends most of the game in the #10/#8 position? Fine, but do you play three CBs? No, ok well do you play a dominant, athletic midfield who are adept at covering? Oh, you're playing a winger as the covering midfielder. Hmm. It's yet to really yield much in attack either - I'm not sure the set-up is benefiting any of that right sided trio. Ugh.

Otherwise, Thiago and Matip are different gravy, Diaz is tireless, and Tsimikas deserves an extended run in the side. Encouraging signs for sure but still not sure what the plan is for this side.

Offline Garnier

• Legacy Fan
  • thought Brendan could tame Balotelli
« Reply #219 on: September 13, 2022, 10:19:32 pm »
Great win

See you in october!!
The change is cast

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 13, 2022, 10:19:45 pm »
3 points, nothing more nothing less. Dwell on that for the next 18 days.
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #221 on: September 13, 2022, 10:20:04 pm »
Great result. We needed that

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #222 on: September 13, 2022, 10:20:36 pm »
Given the fact that we don’t play for six years, it was important to get a win to give everyone a buzz for the incoming barren period.

Offline klopptopia

• Anny Roader
« Reply #223 on: September 13, 2022, 10:20:41 pm »
The ball hit the same fella in the face aster it went 2-1

Why didn’t it hurt as much as it did before when he dropped to the floor?

It’s a head scratcher for sure

fuming at that, he even cleared the ball after it hit him before going down

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: September 13, 2022, 10:20:41 pm »

Not meant as a dig but on current form, Jota was much better than Firmino in that department today. The narrow front three and connections facilitated primarily by Jota were really important, especially in the first half. Jota was great!

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #225 on: September 13, 2022, 10:22:35 pm »
I do like a cheeky late winner. Deserved and against a good, in form team. Now we need to build on it, one game at a time. The difference Thiago made to us was staggering, a proper fucking baller that lad. Can't be arsed talking about negatives, just gonna enjoy this one and move on. Up the fucking reds.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #226 on: September 13, 2022, 10:23:02 pm »
Was doing my tree in too. Every time, trots over to the left, blatantly not taking it. I’m sure there’s some reason we don’t know about as to why we do it…but it would seem he’d be better off on the right or in the middle ready to pick up any second ball
Tonight didn’t bear it out but when you look at the landing position of second balls from clearances after a free kick delivered from that deeper left area, they’re usually coming out to the position Trent then takes up, giving the ability to swing it back in on his right with an in-swinging cross. Never seen it happen and it seems a blatant waste of time though.

Much, much better tonight overall. Positives in a few positions but my favourite thing was that Jota was very good and played like a proper striker. I’m still worried about Trent’s attacking positioning but he was improved also.

Harvey Elliott, who is a proper footballer I rate, cannot play as an essential part of a 3. He’s either a luxury player or a creative 10. We will of course work on his positioning, cutting passing lanes and when to step outside of the centre of the park, but I just don’t think being a pure CM is ever going to come naturally enough that it makes the best use of his clear talent. I said in his own thread it will take some time given he’s spent his entire career pretty much as a winger, but I think to look to reconstitute him as some sort of lock-picking number 8 is always going to be asking him for to do things unnatural to his game and potentially diminish that which he does best. I’d be playing him ahead of a double pivot or using him as an attacking 8 when we’re chasing a game. Haven’t much choice other than playing him there at present. He is a phenomenal progressive footballer but cannot do any of the defensive side of the 8 role in our set up even semi-competently. The stats bear that out so far. Let’s not ‘Wijnaldum’ a player who isn’t capable of that and has so, so much potential elsewhere.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: September 13, 2022, 10:23:54 pm »
Good win tonight! Joel Matip at the back just provided that assurance plus also his ability to make daisy adventures with the ball was very much needed! Hope he stays injury free now.

What we as a team now need to do is build on this, there’s no point in going 1 step forward and 2 steps back with a shite result the next time we play. Take it and grasp it

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 13, 2022, 10:24:06 pm »
I mean, you can have Trent take up these forward positions because he's that good, but then you have to a have midfielder on the right hand side who can compensate when we lose possession and Trent is out of position. Having a right hand side of Trent, Elliot, and Salah makes no sense if we're playing the offbeat high-risk stuff where Trent is sometimes in the CF position. I'm hoping Arthur takes over from Elliot at some point but don't know if he has the athleticism and stamina that this role will require.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 10:25:40 pm by Angelius »

Online kasperoff

• Legacy Fan
  • What happened to Sabu?
« Reply #229 on: September 13, 2022, 10:24:52 pm »
I thought we were very good for most of that. They looked OK in patches, but we wiped the floor with them really. Could have been 5-1 if we'd have finished a bit better.

Thiago was great and the knock-on was that Fab could play his normal game and looked far better also.

But that right back area has got to be looked at. It's costing us every game now.
I think the same, can't stand him, but if you could have a £1million pound cheque or steve bruces head hollowed out and filled with pound coins which would you have?

Offline Ste08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: September 13, 2022, 10:25:09 pm »
Much improved. I actually recognised us this week. Still needs bit more work but we are moving back in the right direction.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #231 on: September 13, 2022, 10:25:29 pm »
So much better from us. Result was really important obviously, but felt like players were playing well, the team were playing well again.

Most had a good game. Thought Tsimikas played especially well. 

Lots to like. That was a step in the right direction
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: September 13, 2022, 10:25:32 pm »
Much improved. I actually recognised us this week. Still needs bit more work but we are moving back in the right direction.
The break will do us good.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: September 13, 2022, 10:25:53 pm »
I mean, you can have Trent take up these forward positions because he's that good, but then you have to a midfielder on the right hand side when we lose possession and Trent is out of position. Having a right hand side of Trent, Elliot, and Salah makes no sense if we're playing the offbeat high-risk stuff where Trent is sometimes in the CF position. I'm hoping Arthur takes over from Elliot at some point but don't know if he has the athleticism and stamina that this role will require.

Yeah that right hand side set up Ill hate forever unless we win the league and CL and then Ill accept it will work ;D

Offline Nyx

• Kemlynite
  • Has Gomez scored yet?
« Reply #234 on: September 13, 2022, 10:27:37 pm »
We needed that desperately. Not so much the win, but the much improved performance. Still got a ways to go but happy for tonight.

I still don’t like our right side at all and the midfield balance is off. Hopefully that’ll be worked on in the time off and get better as some of the injured players come back and others get up to speed.

Thrilled to have Thiago back as he is just magnificent. Good for Salah to get a goal and Matip the winner. Up the reds!

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: September 13, 2022, 10:27:44 pm »
I mean, you can have Trent take up these forward positions because he's that good, but then you have to a have midfielder on the right hand side who can compensate when we lose possession and Trent is out of position. Having a right hand side of Trent, Elliot, and Salah makes no sense if we're playing the offbeat high-risk stuff where Trent is sometimes in the CF position. I'm hoping Arthur takes over from Elliot at some point but don't know if he has the athleticism and stamina that this role will require.

We need Keita back.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: September 13, 2022, 10:28:23 pm »
We need Keita back.

Ha yeah actually the exact sort of midfielder we need.

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 13, 2022, 10:29:16 pm »

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #238 on: September 13, 2022, 10:29:18 pm »
We need Keita back.

we need to not have any expectation of Keita playing a significant role any time soon (or again).

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: September 13, 2022, 10:29:35 pm »

Arthur is really not that sort of player. He is actually fairly average off the ball and has, at least historically, had pretty terrible stamina. He is basically a poor mans Thiago.