Author Topic: Anfield Pitch  (Read 86627 times)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Anfield Pitch
« Reply #280 on: August 8, 2017, 10:05:10 pm »
If we didn't manage to extend the length of the pitch after all the works it'd be disappointing.

The width is in line with the regulations but length wise we're 4 meters short. If we could at least decrease that gap in half it'd make a difference as every inch counts when almost all the teams come to Anfield to defend in numbers.

If teams are going to sit back and have 9 mine within 30 yards of the goal, it doesn't make a difference how long the pitch is. You could make the pitch a mile long, they'll still be camped 30 yards from goal.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #281 on: August 8, 2017, 10:06:54 pm »
1 meter each side could be done no?

Would still leave us 2 meters short according to your post, but 1 meter leaves you dangerously close to the advertising boards and would also screw up sight lines from the back of the stands.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #282 on: August 8, 2017, 10:10:18 pm »
If teams are going to sit back and have 9 mine within 30 yards of the goal, it doesn't make a difference how long the pitch is. You could make the pitch a mile long, they'll still be camped 30 yards from goal.
It's 2017 , we shouldn't have such a short pitch. If it was me I'd shave off first two rows of Annie rd and Kop and what we lose in numbers would be regained by rebuilding ARE. Money is clearly there as we're bidding 70m for players now.

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
« Reply #283 on: August 8, 2017, 11:01:41 pm »
Check the stadium thread.

Thanks Tepid, and other responders, a new track should make a big difference to us this year, I can't seem to find that thread you referenced though? Help me out?
I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: August 8, 2017, 11:02:49 pm »
Thanks Tepid, and other responders, a new track should make a big difference to us this year, I can't seem to find that thread you referenced though? Help me out?

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=315184.7920

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: August 8, 2017, 11:03:50 pm »
It's 2017 , we shouldn't have such a short pitch. If it was me I'd shave off first two rows of Annie rd and Kop and what we lose in numbers would be regained by rebuilding ARE. Money is clearly there as we're bidding 70m for players now.

It's still not going to make a difference to teams like United coming to Anfield and parking the bus. A wider pitch may help with that, a longer one wouldn't.

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #287 on: August 8, 2017, 11:22:16 pm »
It's still not going to make a difference to teams like United coming to Anfield and parking the bus. A wider pitch may help with that, a longer one wouldn't.
Fact is away teams have less space to defend at Anfield compared to Emirates, Ettihad, OT etc. And the less space you have to defend the easier it is. We can argue till infinity how much we would gain if we expanded it but in modern football smallest of details make huge difference because in modern game space is becoming a genuine luxury.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #288 on: August 9, 2017, 08:41:25 am »
It's not just about losing seats from the front of the Kop/Anny to make it longer, as we'd have major viewing issues from the back of those stands to the far goal line if the pitch was lengthened.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #289 on: August 9, 2017, 10:06:08 am »
I wonder if Chelsea's pitch is similar to ours? It always looks quite small to me.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #290 on: August 9, 2017, 10:07:37 am »
Yeah I agree, much like other things in life, length isn't important, it's the girth.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: August 9, 2017, 10:44:11 am »
I wonder if Chelsea's pitch is similar to ours? It always looks quite small to me.

It's bigger.

I know I couldn't believe it either.

Our pitch is too small imo. But then again. When we had Suarez we weren't complaining about breaking teams down due to a slightly small pitch.
« Last Edit: August 9, 2017, 10:46:34 am by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: August 9, 2017, 12:44:28 pm »
It's bigger.

I know I couldn't believe it either.

Our pitch is too small imo. But then again. When we had Suarez we weren't complaining about breaking teams down due to a slightly small pitch.

Strange that. Probably got to do with camera angle
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: August 9, 2017, 01:51:39 pm »
Yeah I agree, much like other things in life, length isn't important, it's the girth.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: August 9, 2017, 01:55:02 pm »

Offline ScouseBrad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #295 on: August 9, 2017, 09:10:22 pm »

I'm with you think we need to widen for the way we are transforming... more space to drag teams apart

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: December 4, 2017, 02:29:21 pm »
Anfield will host the 2nd match Rugby League Test Series between England and New Zealand.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/42203639

Hull's Kcom Stadium will host the opening match against the Kiwis, ranked second in the world, on 27 October.

The second Test is at Liverpool's Anfield on 3 November before the series finale at Leeds United's Elland Road on 11 November.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #297 on: December 4, 2017, 02:33:41 pm »
Well the new pitch seems to holding up really well so far this season. Looks like all the new technology works well

A bit disconcerting seeing guys climbing under the pitch packing away the spare warm up goal posts :P

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #298 on: December 4, 2017, 02:39:27 pm »

It doesn't work like that. You would have to re-profile the Kop and Anny Road or have the front rows a metre in the air and people at the back unable to see the goal line.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #299 on: December 4, 2017, 03:34:44 pm »

It's only 6 yards shorter than the average (which is about 116 yds long), though. So 3 yards at each end. It's definitely short, but it's not ridiculously short.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #300 on: December 4, 2017, 04:23:25 pm »
It's only 6 yards shorter than the average (which is about 116 yds long), though. So 3 yards at each end. It's definitely short, but it's not ridiculously short.
It's not ridiculously short but if we could even just half that shortage it'd make a difference as all the teams are ridiculously defensive at Anfield these days.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #301 on: December 4, 2017, 04:27:08 pm »
It's not ridiculously short but if we could even just half that shortage it'd make a difference as all the teams are ridiculously defensive at Anfield these days.

What are you basing your statement that a pitch 3 yrds longer (so 1.5 yards each end), would make a difference?

I mean is there anything to back up forming such an opinion?

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #302 on: December 4, 2017, 04:31:43 pm »
I mean is there anything to back up forming such an opinion?
Just my opinion from watching football - for example when away teams move up a bit to try to pick up the second ball on a shorter pitch it's gonna take them that precious second less to get back in shape and block those vital spaces between the lines, in today's football spaces are constantly getting harder to find.

Also another thing, Pocchettino once was complaining about WHL pitch being smaller (and yes I know their home record there was great), so it's also elite coaches who recognize it's importance.

To summarize it's not of huge importance but in today's football details count.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: December 4, 2017, 04:49:41 pm »
Just my opinion from watching football - for example when away teams move up a bit to try to pick up the second ball on a shorter pitch it's gonna take them that precious second less to get back in shape and block those vital spaces between the lines, in today's football spaces are constantly getting harder to find.

Also another thing, Pocchettino once was complaining about WHL pitch being smaller (and yes I know their home record there was great), so it's also elite coaches who recognize it's importance.

To summarize it's not of huge importance but in today's football details count.

True, but I'd think that width makes much more difference than length in terms of attacking teams parking the bus.

Overall Anfield is the fifth smallest pitch by overall surface, and at the 68 metres of width is exactly the same as the vast majority of PL pitches (Brighton and Huddersfield at 69 are the only wider ones).

http://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/articles/are-all-football-pitches-the-same-size/
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #304 on: December 4, 2017, 10:17:46 pm »

Making it wider would actually be more helpful. We're a pressing team, so a shorter pitch is good for recovery. But a wider pitch would force the other team to spread out more and create gaps that we could exploit.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline RedPat

• Legacy Fan
  • Kenny Godglish
« Reply #305 on: December 4, 2017, 10:30:05 pm »
Making it wider would actually be more helpful. We're a pressing team, so a shorter pitch is good for recovery. But a wider pitch would force the other team to spread out more and create gaps that we could exploit.
Just noticed you were back now PoP welcome back always enjoyed your posts.
Kenny Godglish

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: December 6, 2017, 07:25:03 am »

Would it really? It might make a difference for attacking teams but if the opposing team isn't venturing into our half does it matter if the space they don't use is 5 metres shorter?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #307 on: December 6, 2017, 10:43:52 am »
Would it really? It might make a difference for attacking teams but if the opposing team isn't venturing into our half does it matter if the space they don't use is 5 metres shorter?
They always do at some point as all their game plans are the same - kick it long to a target man and push the midfield line up a bit to pick up the second ball if possible. Once they lose it they need a second or two less to get compact vertically compared to Ettihad, Emirates etc.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: June 23, 2018, 06:13:27 pm »
Article from The Liverpool Echo, Thursday 21st June 2018.

Liverpool have detailed their next batch of Anfield improvements.
Including further work on the pitch and new broadcasting positions for television.

The Stadium's maintenance programme for the 2018/19 campaign has begun, which includes a 'clean out' of the current pitch - installed last summer - to ensure Jurgen Klopp's side have a pristine playing surface at home next season.

The grass used to grow Anfield's hallowed turf is a blend of hard wearing ryegrass cultivars. The cultivars selected have been specifically bred to provide a strong resilient surface that can tolerate the high speed and impact of playing football. Last year's new pitch included 80 tonnes of zeolite, a form of volcanic ash. This holds on to valuable nutrients and keeps the lush verdant green all season.

Over 120 tonnes of sand will be worked into the surface to ensure 'optimum drainage', while the new grass will be sown ready and nurtured for the start of the the new season.

As well as the pitch improvements, three new TV camera positions will be installed in the Main Stand to offer a wider range of locations for broadcast companies to film.

Other improvements outside of the stadium include a painted Kop roof, work on the 'Anfield Forever' project along 96 Avenue, and the addition of 'Sir' on the signage which adorns the Kenny Dalglish Stand.

Liverpool's new Kop fan bar has also started it's refurbishment programme, with the old retail store becoming a bar which will feature live music and large screen TVs for over 600 fans to enjoy each match day.

Work on the Kop fan bar is expected to be completed in time for the new season.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #309 on: June 23, 2018, 09:47:32 pm »
Zeolite structures are fascinating and have huge numbers of uses....

Ultra sad nerdy comment alert!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Bincey

• Legacy Fan
  • Is that Joe Pasquale? In the garden?
« Reply #310 on: June 23, 2018, 10:03:00 pm »
Zeolite structures are fascinating and have huge numbers of uses....

Ultra sad nerdy comment alert!

Don't tease us like that, what are some of the uses?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: June 23, 2018, 10:29:06 pm »
Don't tease us like that, what are some of the uses?
Molecular sieves to sort branched and none branched isomers resulting from fractional distillation/cracking...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: June 24, 2018, 08:34:29 am »
Molecular sieves to sort branched and none branched isomers resulting from fractional distillation/cracking...

Of course we all knew that - tell us something we don’t know.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #313 on: June 24, 2018, 09:08:38 am »
Why do have a mental image of Del Boy selling Liverpool ryegrass cultivars

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: June 24, 2018, 09:11:06 am »
Of course we all knew that - tell us something we don’t know.
;D

The non branched ones auto ignite more easily so have a lower octane rating and case knocking.  The branched ones less so.

The surface of the zeolite can also be used as a catalyst to promote transformation from straight to branched molecules.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 09:12:49 am by Tepid T₂O »
W

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #315 on: June 24, 2018, 09:23:47 am »
I’m wondering why it’s being replaced after it was completed last season with a ‘state of the art’ Desso pitch? They’ve ripped it all up and doing it again?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: June 24, 2018, 09:42:56 am »
I’m wondering why it’s being replaced after it was completed last season with a ‘state of the art’ Desso pitch? They’ve ripped it all up and doing it again?
No, they’ve reseeded and seem to have changed the composition of what the put in it as well as grassss to make it quicker..
W

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #317 on: June 24, 2018, 01:35:58 pm »

It gets redone every summer (reseeded).

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #318 on: June 24, 2018, 02:29:51 pm »
It gets redone every summer (reseeded).
I knew it was reseeded but with all the sand I wondering how that effected the artificial weave they put in the pitch or is that replaced every year also? It’s just they were saying last year our Desso pitch was way beyond its life expectancy.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #319 on: June 24, 2018, 02:35:17 pm »
I knew it was reseeded but with all the sand I wondering how that effected the artificial weave they put in the pitch or is that replaced every year also? It’s just they were saying last year our Desso pitch was way beyond its life expectancy.

The Desso stuff was redone last year so it's brand new. They remove the grass aspect and a lot of the top soil/sand mix every summer and then relay that stuff and reseed.