Author Topic: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain  (Read 759366 times)

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
« Reply #2040 on: July 18, 2018, 11:20:08 pm »
James Pearce

The ECHO understands that he damaged his posterior cruciate ligament and his anterior cruciate ligament, as well as medial ligaments when he slid in to dispossess Roma's Aleksandar Kolarov. As a result he now faces a gruelling rehabilitation programme.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-dealt-massive-alex-oxlade-14925294

I know it'd only be an educated guess but would be interesting to hear Welshred's thoughts on this latest news. How likely or unlikely is it that Oxlade-Chamberlain will be able to come back the same player, particularly as his explosiveness was a big part of his game?

PCL alone is at least a year. He basically tore every ligament in his knee. No wonder why we think he will be out for the whole season. Hate to be negative but it will be amazing if he can come back even close to the level he was at.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2041 on: July 18, 2018, 11:21:12 pm »
Christ it sounds absolutely horrific.
Hate to be a downer but I think we and him would be really lucky if he's able to play top level football again
One of my favourite players at the club who was on his way to being top class... sport can be brutal

I don't think we'll be able to know anything about that until much closer to his return date.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #2042 on: July 18, 2018, 11:23:20 pm »
Crikey, I knew he was done for ages, but is he really in this much trouble?

well who knows. Simon Brundish (LFC fan / coach on twitter) things he'll be lucky to get back - but of course he's guessing too
I mean to blow out all his major knee ligaments .... its so rare to do that much damage!

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2043 on: July 18, 2018, 11:24:20 pm »
well who knows. Simon Brundish (LFC fan / coach on twitter) things he'll be lucky to get back - but of course he's guessing too
I mean to blow out all his major knee ligaments .... its so rare to do that much damage!

Fucking hell. That's... not good.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2044 on: July 18, 2018, 11:27:41 pm »
Gutted!  :(
Believer

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2045 on: July 18, 2018, 11:27:44 pm »
Fucking hell. That's... not good.

i mean its speculation at this stage isn't it.. but there's no way he's certain to get back to where he was
It's so ridiculously unlucky

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2046 on: July 18, 2018, 11:33:28 pm »
It sounds bleak but its a wonder what medical science can do these days. Theyre doing amazing things with stem cells in recovery. Is that a possibility?
Football is a lie

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2047 on: July 18, 2018, 11:37:37 pm »
Gutted for the lad.
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2048 on: July 18, 2018, 11:40:10 pm »
The article was quite clear in the implication that provided Chamberlain spent the correct amount of time out, he should be okay to return. There is no way a coach who hasn't seen the injury can then suggest he may not make it back. Sometimes I despise the internet, and these rumour mongers. Let's just give the lad time to recover, we will find out soon enough, Klopp though said he is recovering as well as can be expected this far, so why people are just jumping into the worst possible outcome, I don't quite get.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #2049 on: July 18, 2018, 11:48:52 pm »
Has there ever been such a severe injury that looked so innocuous? Terrible news.
Del Piero, 1998, Juve v. Udinese. I was watching that game live, saw him go down in a tackle by the touchline, 2-2 game with just a couple of minutes left and thought here we go, five minutes of rolling around and playacting to kill off the game, typical.
That was him, done, and for a couple of years it looked like he'd never return to anything like the player he was. By 2001 he was named captain of Juve and was back to being a formidable player. Changed his game a bit as you'd expect, but he was a force. Alex has the character to do the same, all the drive to make it happen and the brains to adapt his game if necessary. Whether his body complies is out of his hands but I wish him all the very best, he's a fine man and deserves a break.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2050 on: July 18, 2018, 11:49:00 pm »
The article was quite clear in the implication that provided Chamberlain spent the correct amount of time out, he should be okay to return. There is no way a coach who hasn't seen the injury can then suggest he may not make it back. Sometimes I despise the internet, and these rumour mongers. Let's just give the lad time to recover, we will find out soon enough, Klopp though said he is recovering as well as can be expected this far, so why people are just jumping into the worst possible outcome, I don't quite get.

True of course someone can't assess it remotely (the physio I saw wasn't doing that btw) and I don't think anyones jumping to the worst possible outcome - its a range of possibilities right?
It would be as silly to say 'he'll definitely be the same player' as it would be to say 'he'll definitely won't be back'
Its just acknowledging how serious it is and being realistic about his situation I think - if he'd just ruptured his ACL alone you'd be worried.
The club can't be certain, no one can with something this serious in recent years we've seen Lucas, Ings and Sturridge all changed as players by lesser injuries.
Personally I desperately hope this time next year he's tearing it up in preseason - he deserves to be.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:51:28 pm by JackWard33 »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2051 on: July 18, 2018, 11:54:45 pm »
True of course someone can't assess it remotely (the physio I saw wasn't doing that btw) and I don't think anyones jumping to the worst possible outcome - its a range of possibilities right?
It would be as silly to say 'he'll definitely be the same player' as it would be to say 'he'll definitely won't be back'
Its just acknowledging how serious it is and being realistic about his situation I think - if he'd just ruptured his ACL alone you'd be worried.

While its a possibility until we know different we need to be optimistic, what's the point in thinking otherwise. Despite the injury the tone of the piece I thought was quite encouraging when you consider how serious the injury obviously is. I think they just have to write off this season completely for him, even if he came back early just let him have the season off. Then hopefully, he will have the benefit of going into a full pre-season. That way they can take their time in the way they need too.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2052 on: July 18, 2018, 11:58:05 pm »
Players who've had similar injury?

Online End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2053 on: July 19, 2018, 12:04:13 am »
Poor lad,  that is horrific.
No time for caution.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #2054 on: July 19, 2018, 12:13:57 am »
See my post a few back on Del Piero.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #2055 on: July 19, 2018, 12:29:12 am »
 :(
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #2056 on: July 19, 2018, 12:37:08 am »
http://www.latimes.com/sports/nba/la-sp-nba-playoffs-livingston-20180413-story.html

DO NOT LOOK IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MHFs4a-Bb-c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MHFs4a-Bb-c</a>

Nothing innocuous about this at all. It looks every single bit as bad as it was.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Tozznee

• Kemlynite
« Reply #2057 on: July 19, 2018, 01:28:39 am »
It's even more worrying when you consider the players who've suffered ACL and similar injuries in the past (Del Piero aside); they never seem to come back 100%. I hope this isn't the case with Ox

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2058 on: July 19, 2018, 01:34:18 am »
Has there ever been such a severe injury that looked so innocuous? Terrible news.
To be fair plenty of non contact injuries be it in NBA or NFL are the worst ones.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #2059 on: July 19, 2018, 02:19:25 am »
I did something which must be similar to this a few years back. Had bone damage too with mine. Biggest thing for me was learning to have confidence in the joint again. Bit different being a 40 year old fatty to an athlete like AOC though. Just wish him the best with his recovery and getting back onto the pitch. See what happens when he gets there.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline dosx

• Kopite
  • This is Anfield
    • LFC
« Reply #2060 on: July 19, 2018, 02:25:10 am »
Oh dear unlucky lad.
🔥97🔥

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2061 on: July 19, 2018, 02:28:45 am »
Zero idea. Never heard of anyone who's managed to do that much damage so innocuously. I've rehabbed car crashes that have had better outcomes.

If there's no cartilage damage like the article says, am I right to hold out some hope of a full recovery?  Losing a large percentage of it is the reason my brother was left with permanent damage after a similar injury.

Offline HiTs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • In Istanbul when we won it 5 times!
« Reply #2062 on: July 19, 2018, 04:11:14 am »
Good luck, come back stronger than OX
★      ★       ★       ★       ★       ★                        ★                          ★
77     78      81      84       05      19      World Champions 2019     Premier League 2020

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2063 on: July 19, 2018, 06:38:04 am »
Gutted. I was looking forward to seeing him and Keith ripping teams apart this year. He’ll be back though. If there’s any one player you’d back to do it, it’s him with his attitude. He’ll get the best possible rehab too. Hopefully he’ll be back 100% but he’s good enough to do a John Barnes if he does lose a little explosiveness.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #2064 on: July 19, 2018, 06:41:36 am »
Such a shame. This would have been his year to get 10 goals and 10 assists and establish himself as an elite midfielder. We saw a lot of good signs last year.

He is a loss for sure, but our options for the third midfield slot are Lalana, Milner, Gini and Henderson. Still leaves a likely 3 that started the CL final as our 'rotation' midfield. We're very fortunate to have this kind of depth.

Really hope the lad recovers well and is back to play enough games to get a title winning medal  8)
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2065 on: July 19, 2018, 07:00:02 am »

If there's no cartilage damage like the article says, am I right to hold out some hope of a full recovery?  Losing a large percentage of it is the reason my brother was left with permanent damage after a similar injury.

I honestly couldn't say, his knee has suffered a major, major trauma so all possibilities are on the table and we won't know until closer to  his return time. I'd like to think with the medical staff and facilities we have available, added to him being seen by one of the best knee surgeons in the world, he'd be able to play again and at a high level but it's a wait and see from me.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2066 on: July 19, 2018, 07:18:12 am »
Fuckity fuck

Fingers crossed everything goes right in his rehab
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Online RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2067 on: July 19, 2018, 07:23:27 am »
Testament to the guy that so many people are absolutely gutted by this and we haven't even really seen the "best" of him in my opinion.

A year out is a lot of time at his age in this career, sadly. Hope he comes back 100%.
YNWA.

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
« Reply #2068 on: July 19, 2018, 08:05:41 am »
Such a shame, but the non specific injury information the club previously put out makes perfect sense now. The upside to this is that it isn’t a setback per se, he was aware of the prognosis from the start.

He is clearly a great personality with real drive and will have exceptional support and the best possible chance of making it back to the highest level and that’s all you can ask for. Must take some real willpower to battle back with no guarantees. He seems like the kind of person who absolutely appreciates his relative good fortune though, no doubt there are people out there by the thousands who suffer something like this and whose lives are wrecked, with no support or unable to work etc.

If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #2069 on: July 19, 2018, 08:21:32 am »
Absolutely gutted  :(

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #2070 on: July 19, 2018, 08:27:26 am »
Heart breaking for him and us.
Hope to see him back and 100% soon.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2071 on: July 19, 2018, 08:48:27 am »
What an amazing guy he is... knew how bad the damage was but wanted to keep most of it secret so his teammates could concentrate on the job in hand.

I remember there was debate on to which ligament he had torn. Well sadly it looks like you was all correct 'cause he's done all of them.

Can only wish him a full recovery.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2072 on: July 19, 2018, 08:54:52 am »
Absolute disaster for him personally and for us. Difficult to point to many sportsmen, let alone footballers, who have come back to the top level after suffering that much damage.

For that to come out of absolutely nothing is about as unlucky as you can get.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #2073 on: July 19, 2018, 09:12:51 am »
Sounds very bad and it's devastating that this has happened just when he was playing his best football. He will get time to recover and I hope that he can get completely over this.
#JFT97

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2074 on: July 19, 2018, 09:20:15 am »
Is he going to need more surgery or is it just a long rehab?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2075 on: July 19, 2018, 09:28:26 am »
Is he going to need more surgery or is it just a long rehab?

From what I’ve read, he had the operation on the day of the second leg against Roma which was successful so he shouldn’t need any more.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #2076 on: July 19, 2018, 09:38:00 am »
With Alisson due and Fekir possible it probably seems a good time to let people know.  On the flip side though, he'll need our full support; hard saying it but he might find himself with a real battle on his hands to get back into the first team.  :-\

I actually sent him a lil msg on insta for this reason - he probs won't see it like but he's been a class act on and off the pitch since joining us and can only wish him our best as fans so he gets better soon and returns to us.

I still think he was an awesome buy and really changed the way I saw him since his Arsenal days. Gutted for him but hopefully comes back hungry and determined to take his place back!

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2077 on: July 19, 2018, 10:56:36 am »
What an amazing guy he is... knew how bad the damage was but wanted to keep most of it secret so his teammates could concentrate on the job in hand.

I remember there was debate on to which ligament he had torn. Well sadly it looks like you was all correct 'cause he's done all of them.

Can only wish him a full recovery.

Excellent team spirit by Oxlade Chamberlain. Let us hope he will return as good as he was before he got injured.

However in the meantime we must sign a midfielder to replace him as it would appear that he will not be returning till next year. Keita and Fabinho were not signed for that purpose and Fekir has different attributes from Oxlade Chamberlain.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #2078 on: July 19, 2018, 11:26:38 am »
I can say that around the time of the horrific injury, the lad was surprising me with how good a player he was becoming...on and off the pitch.

Terrible bad luck with the injury, but here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #2079 on: July 19, 2018, 12:10:34 pm »
Gutted for him and for us. Was going to be a key player this coming season I’m sure. Good luck to him hope he makes a full recovery. Great lad.