Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 850085 times)

Online JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #11880 on: May 22, 2020, 01:01:18 pm »
Presumably the PL might have to set out their proposals in some more detail shortly in line with UEFA’s 25 May deadline?

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11881 on: May 22, 2020, 01:10:19 pm »
I still think we’ll get a parade of some sort when it’s safe to do so. If that is way off in the future and all the players able to get back together one last time so be it. They deserve it and they deserve what is such a big achievement for this club to be celebrated properly.

All in due course obviously. I’ll take the satisfaction of seeing the boys celebrate in an empty stadium for now.
Our CEO is a tech head. What about the biggest zoom meet of all time? I believe you can get 10,000 in on a zoom webinar - so only 40 licenses gets 400,000 to dial in to different meetings all pointed at Klopp and the players.
That way all our international fans get to participate in the biggest virtual piss up ever - another record :)

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11882 on: May 22, 2020, 01:14:31 pm »
Has the Brighton chairman been taken hostage? Haven't heard him running his mouth for 24 hours.

He was on this morning. You will see him on Sky Sports today mate.

Going on about players health and safety

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11883 on: May 22, 2020, 01:16:27 pm »
He was on this morning. You will see him on Sky Sports today mate.

Going on about players health and safety

Right on cue then.

While Germany effectively goes into week 2 and 3 of football with no fuss.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11884 on: May 22, 2020, 02:08:58 pm »
Presumably the PL might have to set out their proposals in some more detail shortly in line with UEFA’s 25 May deadline?

As far as I remember, the deadline isn't strict. Certainly not a case of being forced to curtail the league because they havent submitted proposals yet.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11885 on: May 22, 2020, 02:10:00 pm »
Right on cue then.

While Germany effectively goes into week 2 and 3 of football with no fuss.

Has the Brighton chairman been taken hostage? Haven't heard him running his mouth for 24 hours.

Just noticed that Brighton have got Hope Powell talking. Saying they shouldn't be relegation from the women's league and one team should come up (villa).

We're bottom of the women's league.

I see what she is trying to do.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #11886 on: May 22, 2020, 02:49:02 pm »
Kante has been told he can train at home even if he misses the rest of the season. The correct way to go about it. Went in on Tuesday, expressed concerns and the club have given him time off for now. I'm sure they will keep in close contact and make sure he is okay as this goes on.

Spain had a team where one of the players was very vocal about not wanting to train or play. The manager put him in touch with a psychologist to talk through his worries, then he was given reassurance and has since decided he is happy to come back.

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11887 on: May 22, 2020, 02:59:23 pm »
Do we know if it's looking like neutral venues or normal grounds? Was the 'we don't want to play at neutral venues' a police issue or the bottom 6 trying to find an excuse for that week?
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11888 on: May 22, 2020, 03:01:57 pm »
Kante has been told he can train at home even if he misses the rest of the season. The correct way to go about it. Went in on Tuesday, expressed concerns and the club have given him time off for now. I'm sure they will keep in close contact and make sure he is okay as this goes on.

Spain had a team where one of the players was very vocal about not wanting to train or play. The manager put him in touch with a psychologist to talk through his worries, then he was given reassurance and has since decided he is happy to come back.

The sensible approach by both Chelsea and the spanish team.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11889 on: May 22, 2020, 03:02:51 pm »
The sensible approach by both Chelsea and the spanish team.

Very much so.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11890 on: May 22, 2020, 05:08:48 pm »
As far as I remember, the deadline isn't strict. Certainly not a case of being forced to curtail the league because they havent submitted proposals yet.

UEFA have confirmed recently that it’s not that strict.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #11891 on: May 22, 2020, 05:18:35 pm »
Do we know if it's looking like neutral venues or normal grounds? Was the 'we don't want to play at neutral venues' a police issue or the bottom 6 trying to find an excuse for that week?

Really hoping it's normal grounds.

Offline Speedy Molby

• Not as fat as his name suggests but is still a bad formby wool :)
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #11892 on: May 22, 2020, 05:27:20 pm »
This quarantine plan could scupper the English clubs still in the Champions and Europa Leagues.
I am alone now. I am beyond recrimination. The curtains have shut, the furniture has gone. I am transforming. I am vibrating. I am glowing. I am flying. Look at me now.

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11893 on: May 22, 2020, 05:32:16 pm »
Have you got a news alert set up for ‘Werner’ ;D
Haha.

Rebel mate bring back the Werner updates :)
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11894 on: May 22, 2020, 05:37:55 pm »
This quarantine plan could scupper the English clubs still in the Champions and Europa Leagues.

It won't. There is an exemption list and I am sure elite sport will be on it or added

Offline Speedy Molby

• Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #11895 on: May 22, 2020, 06:00:11 pm »
Torygraph reporting that the British Grand Prix will be called off because the government refused exemption from quarantine.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 06:01:57 pm by Speedy Molby »
I am alone now. I am beyond recrimination. The curtains have shut, the furniture has gone. I am transforming. I am vibrating. I am glowing. I am flying. Look at me now.

Offline Americano12345

• Main Stander
« Reply #11896 on: May 22, 2020, 06:01:54 pm »
Believe the 'neutral venues' was set forth by the police, and it was almost unanimously opposed by the PL teams. Lots of issues e.g. stadium sponsorship with doing the neutral grounds idea. Saw that the authorities were asked to consider a way to figure out normal grounds.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11897 on: May 22, 2020, 06:03:36 pm »
It won't. There is an exemption list and I am sure elite sport will be on it or added
i wouldn’t be shocked if they forgot about elite sport

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #11898 on: May 22, 2020, 06:19:18 pm »
i wouldn’t be shocked if they forgot about elite sport

And Everton
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11899 on: May 22, 2020, 06:29:57 pm »
Torygraph reporting that the British Grand Prix will be called off because the government refused exemption from quarantine.

Dead easy, get them all to get an HGV licence and then pile into the trucks and hey presto, no quarantine.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #11900 on: May 22, 2020, 07:43:48 pm »

Coronavirus: Premier League 'as confident as we can be' about June return

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52775640
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #11901 on: May 22, 2020, 07:49:28 pm »
Let me clarify the Messi/Sterling thing...

Messi is the greatest player I have ever seen and probably that I will ever see. Obviously Sterling is not even in the same ball park. I think only Maradonna is. And I far love those two's style - dribbling, dropping the shoulder, taking men on, twisting and turning - love it.  Rather than the style of say Ronaldo, direct, heading, long shots etc.

Sterling has the same style as Messi/Maradonna - when I said he's the closet thing to Messi in the prem i meant style wise. Like Hazard a bit too. I've seen Sterling dribble round 3-4 players before in tight spaces. There was one against spurs where he did that and then fluffed his shot - and that was typical of him - weak shooting, which he has improved. But i stand by the style point.   

Kenny Dalglish is the best player I've ever seen.

Imagine Messi trying to have actual tackles coming in on him, shithouse challenges, shit pitches and shit balls to cope with.

Messi is world class, but imagine if Dalglish had the advantages of pristine pitches, little to no tackling and balls you could blow at.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #11902 on: May 22, 2020, 08:07:46 pm »
Liga MX has announced the cancellation of the Mexican Clausura. Cruz Azul and Leon, the top two clubs will qualify for the CONCACAF CL. No champion will be named. There were seven rounds of games, plus playoffs remaining. Clubs wanted to keep playing until four more Santos Laguna players tested positive. Twelve Santos Laguna players have tested positive in total.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:11:40 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11903 on: May 22, 2020, 08:44:28 pm »
Big difference with Mexico, to here is that Coronavirus is on the way up. Latin America is becoming the new ‘hot bed’

Offline Speedy Molby

• Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #11904 on: May 22, 2020, 08:49:05 pm »
Two more Watford players quarantined. They had been in contact with others who tested positive but were negative themselves.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11905 on: May 22, 2020, 08:56:34 pm »
Kenny Dalglish is the best player I've ever seen.

Imagine Messi trying to have actual tackles coming in on him, shithouse challenges, shit pitches and shit balls to cope with.

Messi is world class, but imagine if Dalglish had the advantages of pristine pitches, little to no tackling and balls you could blow at.
maradona dealt with the same shit kenny did and was doing that whilst on crack!

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #11906 on: May 22, 2020, 08:57:28 pm »

Yes! Rushie's coming back for the derby! That's what dating a younger woman does to you ;)
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11907 on: May 22, 2020, 09:00:15 pm »
Two more Watford players quarantined. They had been in contact with others who tested positive but were negative themselves.

I guess it sort of makes sense - but seems odd to quarantine them.

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11908 on: May 22, 2020, 09:01:47 pm »
Did this happen at the “everyone round to Marriappa’s” the other night?

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11909 on: May 22, 2020, 09:02:12 pm »
The tests that came back positive were done before squads were back training? So for anyone to have been in contact with them means they were breaking lockdown rules?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #11910 on: May 22, 2020, 09:03:01 pm »
Did this happen at the “everyone round to Marriappa’s” the other night?

Could have come into contact with an infected staff member

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #11911 on: May 22, 2020, 09:12:49 pm »

Yes! Rushie's coming back for the derby! That's what dating a younger woman does to you ;)
Andy Townsend chatting shite as usual I see.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11912 on: May 22, 2020, 09:13:45 pm »
I don't mind Kante or Deeney saying they wont train or play etc. That's their prerogative (assuming footballers can't be forced to work like the rest of us) but I'm wondering where a line is drawn? What's to stop a whole team from saying they don't feel safe and wont play?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #11913 on: May 22, 2020, 09:14:31 pm »
I don't mind Kante or Deeney saying they wont train or play etc. That's their prerogative (assuming footballers can't be forced to work like the rest of us) but I'm wondering where a line is drawn? What's to stop a whole team from saying they don't feel safe and wont play?

Nothing, and then their club deals with forfeiting their games.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #11914 on: May 22, 2020, 09:16:10 pm »
Watford, bless them, they're trying their best to ruin everything aren't they? ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11915 on: May 22, 2020, 09:17:02 pm »
Nothing, and then their club deals with forfeiting their games.

But Klopp for example said he hasn't got a problem with players if they don't want to train. One or two might be manageable. But what if 5,6,7 or more all of a sudden said they didn't want to train?

I just think it needs clarifying or we could be in a very messy situation.

Offline Speedy Molby

• Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #11916 on: May 22, 2020, 09:28:16 pm »
The tests that came back positive were done before squads were back training? So for anyone to have been in contact with them means they were breaking lockdown rules?
It doesn’t specify that the two who were quarantined today were in contact with the players and staff who tested positive the other day. It could have been family.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #11917 on: May 22, 2020, 09:29:43 pm »
But Klopp for example said he hasn't got a problem with players if they don't want to train. One or two might be manageable. But what if 5,6,7 or more all of a sudden said they didn't want to train?

The league already has a precedent it set with Spurs in 05/06 and Boro in 96/97. Any illness that sweeps through a squad is just treated the same as any other injury. You either play or have a points deduction
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:31:36 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline muszka

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11918 on: May 22, 2020, 09:48:26 pm »
Am I the only on thinking that if the CL this season is finished with playing one legged ties on neutral empty venues then the winner of the competition won't be regarded as highly as a winner in any other year?

It just doesn't feel right to me to finish such a higly regarded competition in a "let's just finish it asap and be done with it" manner. And I'd feel the same even if we were in it.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #11919 on: May 22, 2020, 09:52:03 pm »

They’ve been told it’s safe to go back.

If individual players choose not to go back to work, it’ll be up to their clubs to deal with.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.