Author Topic: -8 of Internationals draft - Sign up and discussion  (Read 14712 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: -8 of Internationals draft - Sign up and discussion
« Reply #160 on: April 6, 2022, 07:57:28 pm »
Your laissez-faire approach will be your undoing.

I know. No one wins back to back though! And I’ve been busy so haven’t made any lists like I normally would. Going for the ‘wing it’ approach on this one which won’t end well.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #161 on: April 6, 2022, 08:06:03 pm »
People who don’t post a photo with their selection are the absolute worst.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #162 on: April 6, 2022, 08:08:55 pm »
I felt like I needed to get the full backs done before the yield could turn embarrassing ;D

Hakimi and Alaba are quite a catch in that department among these kinds of nations.
Linudden.

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #163 on: April 6, 2022, 08:14:00 pm »
People who don’t post a photo with their selection are the absolute worst.

I’m so glad that Jürgen is a Red…

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #164 on: April 6, 2022, 09:05:18 pm »
Pathetic
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #165 on: April 6, 2022, 09:22:18 pm »
I felt like I needed to get the full backs done before the yield could turn embarrassing ;D

Hakimi and Alaba are quite a catch in that department among these kinds of nations.
Blindly thought Hakimi would last for ages and I’d swoop him in about round or 7. Should have known!
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #166 on: April 6, 2022, 10:16:07 pm »
Blindly thought Hakimi would last for ages and I’d swoop him in about round or 7. Should have known!

You'd be correct, DS, because that's what he is; a 7th round pick. No great shakes. Far, far better still out there
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #167 on: April 6, 2022, 10:16:45 pm »

Mate, there literally are no right backs left ;D

Joking aside, there are, but most of them are no good. It's the blind spot of these nations.
Linudden.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #168 on: April 6, 2022, 10:31:46 pm »
Mate, there literally are no right backs left ;D

Joking aside, there are, but most of them are no good. It's the blind spot of these nations.

There’s tons.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #169 on: April 6, 2022, 10:47:49 pm »
You'd be correct, DS, because that's what he is; a 7th round pick. No great shakes. Far, far better still out there

I've great respect for your drafting pedigree Bobby, but there's no need to be salty over players young enough to be your grandkids getting picked over some Scottish gentleman who played for Blackpool in the 1950s :D

There’s tons.

There are but remains to be seen how many gems can be dug up. I'm able to think of some I'd be feeling comfortable with, although Hakimi and Nicol stood out for me. The latter was my plan B and I could've had him before Max got him. That being said, I want two properly athletic wing backs for the system I'll be pursuing so I think Hakimi and Alaba will very much fit those plans.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2022, 10:52:39 pm by Lewis Hamilton’s #1 fan »
Linudden.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: April 7, 2022, 09:06:17 am »

Yeah nothing more than an okay pick, certainly not worthy of 'oooh look who I got in round 4, when the likes of Hugo Sanchez, Zlatan, Brady, Gerets et al also are. Its a good 7/8th round pick like you say.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: April 7, 2022, 09:17:06 am »
I've great respect for your drafting pedigree Bobby, but there's no need to be salty over players young enough to be your grandkids getting picked over some Scottish gentleman who played for Blackpool in the 1950s :D

How did you know about that?  ;D

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #172 on: April 7, 2022, 09:42:27 am »
Just as a warning, I will be down to phone access only from 5pm today, and I'll be out most of the day tomorrow, so someone might want to pick up the player list in here until I can get it sorted.

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #173 on: April 7, 2022, 09:43:10 am »

The balls of saying this and then picking Koulibaly.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: April 7, 2022, 10:02:37 am »
I've PM'd DS

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #175 on: April 7, 2022, 10:04:04 am »
Just as a warning, I will be down to phone access only from 5pm today, and I'll be out most of the day tomorrow, so someone might want to pick up the player list in here until I can get it sorted.

Will do, no worries :wave
Linudden.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: April 7, 2022, 10:04:14 am »
Sorry, bad traffic on the way to work. Picking now.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: April 7, 2022, 10:08:00 am »
Absolutely paper thin selection left for good defensive midfielders, so had to use my pick from probably the strongest country I had left, Portugal. Paolo Sousa was class and heavily underrated. There’s a reason Juventus finally won the European Cup again after he was signed and BVB won it once Sousa joined.

Really calm shielding presence.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #178 on: April 7, 2022, 10:10:08 am »
Absolutely paper thin selection left for good defensive midfielders, so had to use my pick from probably the strongest country I had left, Portugal. Paolo Sousa was class and heavily underrated. There’s a reason Juventus finally won the European Cup again after he was signed and BVB won it once Sousa joined.

Really calm shielding presence.

Don’t say that. I need one to do a lot of the running alongside Big Jan and behind Rui Costa.

Here’s bound to be a South American hatchet man lurking somewhere.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: April 7, 2022, 10:30:40 am »
Cheap pick that. Cheap and shameful.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: April 7, 2022, 10:31:49 am »
The balls of saying this and then picking Koulibaly.

He’s a way behind Virgil but who isn’t. However, utilising the draft rules, it’s a damned good 5th round pick. Every time I see him play, particularly for Senegal, I have been impressed. He’s a proper lion. Up there with the best cb’s.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #181 on: April 7, 2022, 10:32:53 am »
Cheap pick that. Cheap and shameful.

Good though, isn’t he? :D

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: April 7, 2022, 10:33:21 am »
Good though, isn’t he? :D

Yeah fucking class, he'll do Mo/Sadio levels for the next 4/5 years

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #183 on: April 7, 2022, 11:04:39 am »
I like to think I know football pretty well, but I literally have no clue who you just picked Lobo  :-X
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #184 on: April 7, 2022, 11:07:09 am »
I like to think I know football pretty well, but I literally have no clue who you just picked Lobo  :-X
d

Going off the picture he used, he captained Belgium at France 98 but I’ve still never heard of the fucker.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: April 7, 2022, 11:12:16 am »

More fool you my learned friend, one of Belgiums greatest ever players

(I also had to google him, but he's on loads of 'best ever defensive midfielder' lists so fuck it and looks great on youtube)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #186 on: April 7, 2022, 11:17:19 am »
More fool you my learned friend, one of Belgiums greatest ever players

(I also had to google him, but he's on loads of 'best ever defensive midfielder' lists so fuck it and looks great on youtube)

Better than Fellaini?

Time to upgrade his wiki page. Long ago in yonder when I used to watch drafts from afar (and had too much time on my hands) I used to edit wiki pages to shine a light players who were a bit forgotten. Does he have a nickname? That always gives the illusion of being better than they were  ;D
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #187 on: April 7, 2022, 11:18:47 am »
It looks like Van Der Elst's love for Club Brugge held back his international reputation a bit. Also the Belgian league was quite competitive back then. Mechelen won the 1988 Cup Winners' Cup for example.

Back then the threshold for moving abroad was higher because of the domestic player regulations, hence Zico ended up at Udinese and Caniggia played for Atalanta. Maybe then he decided the alternatives weren't that exciting.
Linudden.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: April 7, 2022, 11:31:12 am »
Ahhh there he goes, was wondering how long he'd last

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #189 on: April 7, 2022, 11:34:55 am »
Better than Fellaini?

Time to upgrade his wiki page. Long ago in yonder when I used to watch drafts from afar (and had too much time on my hands) I used to edit wiki pages to shine a light players who were a bit forgotten. Does he have a nickname? That always gives the illusion of being better than they were  ;D

If Pele didn’t name them as one of his 125 best players of the 20th Century I’m just not interested.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #190 on: April 7, 2022, 11:39:20 am »
It looks like Van Der Elst's love for Club Brugge held back his international reputation a bit. Also the Belgian league was quite competitive back then. Mechelen won the 1988 Cup Winners' Cup for example.

Back then the threshold for moving abroad was higher because of the domestic player regulations, hence Zico ended up at Udinese and Caniggia played for Atalanta. Maybe then he decided the alternatives weren't that exciting.

Yep, players moved around a lot less back then. There was also a lot less money in football to take players abroad and we didn't hit the 'foreigner' revolution across European leagues until the 90s. Hagi, for example, didn't leave Romanian football until he was 25. That is incredibly rare today where you get 17 year olds being snapped up and taken across the world the moment they show a flash of talent. Mores the pity too, so many young talents have had their development stunted by moving too soon. Both in playing time and simply in growing up as adults before taking the leap to a new country away from family/friends and to a bigger club with heavier expectations.

That could be an interesting idea for a draft actually. The 'home draft' - only players who spent X number of years in their own league/country.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #191 on: April 7, 2022, 11:42:09 am »
Ahhh there he goes, was wondering how long he'd last

I was worried when Hyppia went early that Jari will follow, as I wanted him in the #10 role behind Puskas. But I am guessing people don't wanna rule out Jussi Jaaskelainen. Still there are plenty of good attacking midfield options available.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #192 on: April 7, 2022, 12:31:18 pm »
Litmanen and Son both excellent picks. Thought about Son, then forgot all about him when picking Diaz.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: April 7, 2022, 12:33:07 pm »
Yeah Sons a class pick, was thinking about him but he plays off the left as well so would have ended up shunted to the right

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #194 on: April 7, 2022, 12:36:39 pm »
Yeah Sons a class pick, was thinking about him but he plays off the left as well so would have ended up shunted to the right

He’ll play wherever your midfield general big Franky tells him. No one questions one of Belgium’s greatest players.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #195 on: April 7, 2022, 12:53:31 pm »
Bremner deep and then Yaya as box to box and Luka as playmaker for the midfield three now. Feels quite solid.

That could be an interesting idea for a draft actually. The 'home draft' - only players who spent X number of years in their own league/country.

More than that, a 'Decade at one club draft' would really play to the Van Der Elst type of player if we're talking about players remaining for long :wave Can't find many decade stayers today. Henderson just made it at LFC, but besides that no-one around when he showed up was left for the CL final in Kyiv. Skrtel was the last to go in 2016 I think.

In fact, to my knowledge, the only players who have stayed a decade at Liverpool who joined the first team during the Premier League era were Carragher, Gerrard and Henderson.
« Last Edit: April 7, 2022, 01:06:05 pm by Lewis Hamilton’s #1 fan »
Linudden.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: April 7, 2022, 12:54:55 pm »
I agonised over Son and decided Bale in the end - higher peak for longer and the better player when you measure their best over time. Excellent pick though, had he played off the right instead he’d have been my pick after Bale.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: April 7, 2022, 01:04:21 pm »
Didn't know John C. Reilly was Scottish.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #198 on: April 7, 2022, 01:19:27 pm »
Here come the Portu-geese. Liked the Paulo Sousa earlier. Had a fairly short career, but certainly one of the best DMs in the draft. Had I not blocked myself with Eusebio I'd have been all over him.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: April 7, 2022, 01:41:46 pm »
Here come the Portu-geese. Liked the Paulo Sousa earlier. Had a fairly short career, but certainly one of the best DMs in the draft. Had I not blocked myself with Eusebio I'd have been all over him.

Keeping my Portugal pick back. There's going to be big holes for selection at pick 9-10. I'm sure they'll have someone notable to fill it