Author Topic: Tech you just love - the simple things  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Tech you just love - the simple things
« on: December 3, 2019, 12:47:10 pm »
What technology do you think 'Wowzers - love that..' - some of the 'taken for granted' simple stuff

One thing that's always fascinated me as a kid was Cats-eyes in the road - such a simple idea and such an amazingly effective solution to a problem.

The inventor of cat's eyes was Percy Shaw of Boothtown, Halifax, West Yorkshire, England. When the tram-lines were removed in the nearby suburb of Ambler Thorn, he realised that he had been using the polished strips of steel to navigate at night. The name "cat's eye" comes from Shaw's inspiration for the device: the eyeshine reflecting from the eyes of a cat. In 1934, he patented his invention (patents Nos. 436,290 and 457,536), and on 15 March 1935, founded Reflecting Roadstuds Limited in Halifax to manufacture the items. The name Catseye is their trademark. The reflective lens had been invented six years earlier for use in advertising signs by Richard Hollins Murray, an accountant from Herefordshire and, as Shaw acknowledged, they had contributed to his idea.

The blackouts of World War II (1939–1945) and the shuttered car headlights then in use demonstrated the value of Shaw's invention and helped popularise their mass use in the UK. After the war, they received firm backing from a Ministry of Transport committee led by James Callaghan and Sir Arthur Young. Eventually, their use spread all over the world.

In 2006, Catseye was voted one of Britain's top 10 design icons in the Great British Design Quest organised by the BBC and the Design Museum, a list which included Concorde, Mini, Supermarine Spitfire, K2 telephone box, World Wide Web and the AEC Routemaster bus.

Original Cats Eye

Double Ended Cats Eye

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat%27s_eye_%28road%29
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
Re: Tech you just love - the simple things
« Reply #1 on: December 3, 2019, 01:34:21 pm »

The really clever thing about the design of those is they collect rainwater in that casting and then when a car goes over the 'eye' bit, it presses down and squirts the collected water over the reflectors to keep them clean.

They don't half weigh a bit though, I remember finding an old one by some road works as a kid and thinking I'd take it home as a trophy. That cast base is heavy duty.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2 on: December 3, 2019, 02:43:55 pm »
The really clever thing about the design of those is they collect rainwater in that casting and then when a car goes over the 'eye' bit, it presses down and squirts the collected water over the reflectors to keep them clean.

They don't half weigh a bit though, I remember finding an old one by some road works as a kid and thinking I'd take it home as a trophy. That cast base is heavy duty.

:)

Really!? That's a great idea. Yeah, I can imagine they weigh quite a lot - they look pretty heavily embedded.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 3, 2019, 10:47:19 pm »

The Fitch Inertia Barrier.

John Fitch was a WW2 Fighter pilot who flew P51 Mustangs and shot down an ME262 jet fighter. After the war, he became a successful racing driver.

He was paired with Pierre Levegh to drive the Mercedes in the 1955 Le Mans race. Levegh clipped an Austin-Healy driven by Lance Macklin on the main straight, flipped,hit the bank and the Mercedes burst into flames, with the wreckage careering into the Grandstand. The accident killed around 85 people. Fitch was so badly affected by it he vowed to come up with a safety device to prevent it happening again.

He was named on 15 patents, but the one above was used on the roads of the USA. Barrels filled with sand or water are placed near solid structures such as bridges or concrete dividers and absorb the impact. He got the idea from the sandbags he placed around his tent in WW2 to protect himself from being strafed during attacks by the Luftwaffe. Fitch tested all of his safety barriers himself by driving the cars used in the testing. His Inertia barrier system is believed to have saved over 17000 lives.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2019, 10:50:02 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4 on: December 3, 2019, 11:22:51 pm »

The Fitch Inertia Barrier.

John Fitch was a WW2 Fighter pilot who flew P51 Mustangs and shot down an ME262 jet fighter. After the war, he became a successful racing driver.

He was paired with Pierre Levegh to drive the Mercedes in the 1955 Le Mans race. Levegh clipped an Austin-Healy driven by Lance Macklin on the main straight, flipped,hit the bank and the Mercedes burst into flames, with the wreckage careering into the Grandstand. The accident killed around 85 people. Fitch was so badly affected by it he vowed to come up with a safety device to prevent it happening again.

He was named on 15 patents, but the one above was used on the roads of the USA. Barrels filled with sand or water are placed near solid structures such as bridges or concrete dividers and absorb the impact. He got the idea from the sandbags he placed around his tent in WW2 to protect himself from being strafed during attacks by the Luftwaffe. Fitch tested all of his safety barriers himself by driving the cars used in the testing. His Inertia barrier system is believed to have saved over 17000 lives.

Nice. Cheers for putting that up mate.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 11:42:14 am »
When I reverse my car on a hill or slope, the wing mirrors automatically tilt to match the gradient. It would be infuriating if it were delayed or slightly offset, but it happens smoothly and is always accurate.

I'm aware this may not be new to some, but it was to me. There are much more flashy features on the car but this is undoubtedly one of my favourites.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 02:39:42 pm »
When I reverse my car on a hill or slope, the wing mirrors automatically tilt to match the gradient. It would be infuriating if it were delayed or slightly offset, but it happens smoothly and is always accurate.

I'm aware this may not be new to some, but it was to me. There are much more flashy features on the car but this is undoubtedly one of my favourites.

I have the same sort of thing on mine but doesnt match the gradient. Basically when reverse is selected it tilts down to show the rear wheel/roadside alignment for parking, but can be turned off for normal reversing.

All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 10:23:17 pm »
What cars do this?

Witchcraft!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 02:42:08 pm »
VAR

here it is in action

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 09:58:17 am »
What cars do this?

Witchcraft!
My 14 year old Lexus does it!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 08:48:14 pm »
What cars do this?

Witchcraft!

My mates Range Rovers (1998 Autobiography and 2002 Vogue) had it.

I've got a light reactive rear view mirror which darkens when a car behind has bright lights. I've also noticed when I reverse up the drive, the mirror goes lighter.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 08:50:17 pm by rob19:6 "And yeah doth the Lord liketh trucking." »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 04:53:28 pm »
My mates Range Rovers (1998 Autobiography and 2002 Vogue) had it.

I've got a light reactive rear view mirror which darkens when a car behind has bright lights. I've also noticed when I reverse up the drive, the mirror goes lighter.
That's just an anti-glare mirror isn't it? My Lexus also has that. Wing mirrors do it too.

My 2001 Clio would automatically turn on the rear windscreen wiper if it was raining and I put the car into reverse.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 04:56:36 pm »
That's just an anti-glare mirror isn't it? My Lexus also has that. Wing mirrors do it too.

My 2001 Clio would automatically turn on the rear windscreen wiper if it was raining and I put the car into reverse.
It’s an lcd that is connected to a phot sensitive resistor...  works quite well.  Mind you, if they crack it looks like a broken calculator screen... very messy.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 09:29:16 am »
It’s an lcd that is connected to a phot sensitive resistor...  works quite well.  Mind you, if they crack it looks like a broken calculator screen... very messy.

If you turn it upside down can you get it to say

HELL.O BOOBLESS

?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 02:37:13 pm »
Wireless headphones. I got a cheap set last year and it's just so nice not having to have my phone in an outer pocket and the wire rubbing on my chin or irritating me. Only issue was the 3 hour battery life, but my life was changed again when my phone came with a pair of Samsung Galaxy buds that last all day.

First world problems are still problems.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.