Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 312229 times)

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #2280 on: May 14, 2020, 11:15:45 pm »

OGLE-2018-BLG-0677Lb: A Super-Earth Near the Galactic Bulge
Antonio Herrera-Martín1, M. D. Albrow1, A. Udalski2, A. Gould3,4,5, Y.-H. Ryu4, J. C. Yee6, S.-J. Chung4,7, C. Han8, K.-H. Hwang4, Y. K. Jung6
Published 2020 May 7 • © 2020. The American Astronomical Society.
The Astronomical Journal, Volume 159, Number 6

Abstract
We report the analysis of the microlensing event OGLE-2018-BLG-0677. A small feature in the light curve of the event leads to the discovery that the lens is a star–planet system. Although there are two degenerate solutions that could not be distinguished for this event, both lead to a similar planet-host mass ratio. We perform a Bayesian analysis based on a Galactic model to obtain the properties of the system and find that the planet corresponds to a super-Earth/sub-Neptune with a mass of ${M}_{\mathrm{planet}}={3.96}_{-2.66}^{+5.88}{M}_{\oplus }$. The host star has a mass of ${M}_{\mathrm{host}}={0.12}_{-0.08}^{+0.14}\,{M}_{\odot }$. The projected separation for the inner and outer solutions are ${0.63}_{-0.17}^{+0.20}$ au and ${0.72}_{-0.19}^{+0.23}$ au respectively. At ${\rm{\Delta }}{\chi }^{2}={\chi }^{2}(1{\rm{L}}1{\rm{S}})-{\chi }^{2}(2{\rm{L}}1{\rm{S}})=46$, this is by far the lowest Δχ 2 for any securely detected microlensing planet to date, a feature that is closely connected to the fact that it is detected primarily via a "dip" rather than a "bump."

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/1538-3881/ab893e

Planet hunters discover new 'one in a million' Super-Earth
by University of Canterbury

Astronomers at the University of Canterbury (UC) have found an incredibly rare new Super-Earth planet towards the centre of the galaxy. The planet is one of only a handful that have been discovered with both size and orbit comparable to that of Earth.

Astronomers at the University of Canterbury (UC) have found an incredibly rare new Super-Earth planet towards the centre of the galaxy.

The planet is one of only a handful that have been discovered with both size and orbit comparable to that of Earth. The planet-hunters' research has recently been published in the Astronomical Journal.

Lead researchers in the discovery, astronomers Dr. Antonio Herrera Martin and Associate Professor Michael Albrow, both of UC's School of Physical and Chemical Sciences in the College of Science, are part of an international team of astronomers who collaborated on the Super-Earth research.

Dr. Herrera Martin, the paper's lead author, describes the planet-finding discovery as incredibly rare.

"To have an idea of the rarity of the detection, the time it took to observe the magnification due to the host star was approximately five days, while the planet was detected only during a small five-hour distortion. After confirming this was indeed caused by another 'body' different from the star, and not an instrumental error, we proceeded to obtain the characteristics of the star-planet system," he says.

Using the solar system as a point of reference, the host star is about 10% the mass of our Sun, and the planet would have a mass somewhere between that of Earth and Neptune, and would orbit at a location between Venus and Earth from the parent star. Due to the host star having a smaller mass than our Sun, the planet would have a 'year' of approximately 617 days.

The new planet is among only a handful of extra-solar planets that have been detected with both sizes and orbits close to that of Earth.

Dr. Herrera Martin explains the planet was discovered using a technique called gravitational microlensing.

"The combined gravity of the planet and its host star caused the light from a more distant background star to be magnified in a particular way. We used telescopes distributed around the world to measure the light-bending effect."

The microlensing effect is rare, with only about one in a million stars in the galaxy being affected at any given time. Furthermore, this type of observation does not repeat, and the probabilities of catching a planet at the same time are extremely low, the UC astronomer says.

This particular microlensing event was observed during 2018 and designated OGLE-2018-BLG-0677. It was independently detected by the Optical Gravitational Lensing Experiment (OGLE) using a telescope in Chile, and the Korea Microlensing Telescope Network (KMTNet) to which the UC astronomers belong, using three identical telescopes in Chile, Australia, and South Africa. The KMTNet telescopes are equipped with very large cameras, which the team uses to measure the light output from around one hundred million (100,000,000) stars every 15 minutes.

"These experiments detect around 3000 microlensing events each year, the majority of which are due to lensing by single stars," the paper's co-author Associate Professor Albrow notes.

"Dr. Herrera Martin first noticed that there was an unusual shape to the light output from this event, and undertook months of computational analysis that resulted in the conclusion that this event was due to a star with a low-mass planet."

https://phys.org/news/2020-05-planet-hunters-million-super-earth.html

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2281 on: May 23, 2020, 09:15:15 pm »
NASA's head of human spaceflight just up and resigned.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pHV14Tc2Jmw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pHV14Tc2Jmw</a>
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2282 on: May 27, 2020, 03:38:05 pm »
SpaceX and NASA are attempting to put US astronauts into space from US soil this afternoon for the first time since the Space Shuttle program was ended, nearly a decade ago:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/26/tech/spacex-nasa-launch-may-27-scn/index.html
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2283 on: May 27, 2020, 03:52:54 pm »
SpaceX and NASA are attempting to put US astronauts into space from US soil this afternoon for the first time since the Space Shuttle program was ended, nearly a decade ago:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/26/tech/spacex-nasa-launch-may-27-scn/index.html
Live broadcast on NASA TV starts at 12:15 with the launch scheduled for 16:33 EDT (UTC-4). I'm not sure if this site will be accessible from Europe, but it's a public site:
https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html#public
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2284 on: May 27, 2020, 03:54:23 pm »
Just tried it now and it is accessible

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2285 on: May 27, 2020, 04:14:06 pm »
You can try to dock the Dragon yourselves:
https://iss-sim.spacex.com/

:)

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #2286 on: May 27, 2020, 05:02:28 pm »
What’s the scheduled lift off U.K. time, peeps? I’m watching the NASA livestream on YouTube

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2287 on: May 27, 2020, 05:08:48 pm »
What’s the scheduled lift off U.K. time, peeps? I’m watching the NASA livestream on YouTube

9.33pm I think it is.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #2288 on: May 27, 2020, 05:09:16 pm »

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2289 on: May 27, 2020, 07:40:48 pm »
Have they brought the launch forward or are they going to be sat horizontally in there for the next couple of hours just prepping?   ???
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2290 on: May 27, 2020, 08:59:05 pm »
Live broadcast on NASA TV starts at 12:15 with the launch scheduled for 16:33 EDT (UTC-4). I'm not sure if this site will be accessible from Europe, but it's a public site:
https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html#public

Here's a youtube link too.  About 30 minutes to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aymrnzianf0

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2291 on: May 27, 2020, 09:13:45 pm »
3 mins away from the next weather check. Looks very cloudy and windy

Looks all very Elon Musk inside that capsule. Very clean and white.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2292 on: May 27, 2020, 09:14:52 pm »
Looks like it's getting scrubbed

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2293 on: May 27, 2020, 09:15:50 pm »
Yeah think the weather is going to claim this one

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2294 on: May 27, 2020, 09:17:31 pm »
Launch aborted

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2295 on: May 27, 2020, 09:18:17 pm »
Saturday the next window

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2296 on: May 27, 2020, 09:19:04 pm »
Bollocks to that
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2297 on: May 27, 2020, 09:20:21 pm »
Bummer...

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2298 on: May 27, 2020, 09:23:55 pm »
Saturday at 8.22 BST the next effort then?

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2299 on: May 27, 2020, 09:29:34 pm »
Will it not be too light for us to see in the UK at that time?

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2300 on: May 27, 2020, 09:37:06 pm »
Will it not be too light for us to see in the UK at that time?

8.22 pm. But yeah it probably will be too bright unless you use binoculars are something.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2301 on: May 27, 2020, 09:42:40 pm »
8.22 pm. But yeah it probably will be too bright unless you use binoculars are something.

Yeah.  Sunset in Liverpool is 9.28pm Saturday, so best bet is the sun catches the launch trail?

Popcorn's Art

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #2302 on: May 27, 2020, 09:45:28 pm »

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2303 on: May 27, 2020, 10:03:46 pm »
Think they said it was always likely to get scrubbed today didn’t they? High chance of cloud cover I believe.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2304 on: May 27, 2020, 10:07:26 pm »
Think they said it was always likely to get scrubbed today didn’t they? High chance of cloud cover I believe.

I was reading earlier that they have to consider the conditions of the ocean where the landing pads are among other things.

Everyone is keeping their eye on the weather. SpaceX and Nasa have strict criteria that have to be met before they will proceed with a launch. The winds, the cloud cover, precipitation and lightning – all these factors must be watched very closely. And it’s not just the conditions at ground level on the launch pad that matter. Controllers are interested in what the weather is doing at different altitudes as the rocket climbs into the sky and heads out across the Atlantic Ocean. Going into Wednesday, the forecasters were saying there was a 50:50 chance of favourable weather for the launch. But crucially this forecast was only for the Kennedy launch site itself.

SpaceX and Nasa also need to listen to what the meteorologists are telling them about the conditions along the flight line in the event that the Dragon has to abort its ascent. If something goes wrong with its rocket, the capsule will need to splashdown somewhere along a swathe of ocean that stretches all the way up the eastern seaboard of the US and reaches across to the British Isles. SpaceX has designated certain zones where the crew would ditch, and each one has to have benign wave and wind conditions. If any of these zones step outside the permitted criteria, the launch will not proceed… even if it’s a beautiful day back in Florida.

And just to add to the complication, a tropical storm has formed off South Carolina.

Looks like they'd a fair idea it would be aborted.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 10:11:22 pm by Barneylfc∗ »

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2305 on: May 28, 2020, 05:10:23 am »
Saturday's chances are not a hell of a lot better...

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2306 on: May 28, 2020, 10:28:00 am »
I was reading earlier that they have to consider the conditions of the ocean where the landing pads are among other things.

Looks like they'd a fair idea it would be aborted.

Reading that and you realise NASA's come a long way from launching Apollo 12 into a lightning storm  ;D

Popcorn's Art

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2307 on: May 30, 2020, 07:25:19 pm »
An hour to go. (57 minutes to be exact) All good for launch as it stands.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2310 on: May 30, 2020, 07:33:01 pm »

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2311 on: May 30, 2020, 07:43:42 pm »
I'm reading that right now it's no go.
Is it better for viewing from UK if they fall back to tomorrow?

--edit-- no go right now, but if weather clears, we're back on.

Ps I was reading earlier about challenger. They decided not to check the wing for damage as they knew it couldn't be repaired. Better for the astronauts to be unaware , rather than face orbiting until they ran out of air. Scary.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 07:45:31 pm by PaulF »
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2312 on: May 30, 2020, 08:00:12 pm »

Fantastic! :)
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2313 on: May 30, 2020, 08:02:29 pm »
20 mins and looks like it'll be go for launch

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2314 on: May 30, 2020, 08:10:46 pm »
very exciting.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2315 on: May 30, 2020, 08:13:05 pm »

This brings back nightmares of trying to dock in Elite.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2316 on: May 30, 2020, 08:16:11 pm »
What are the chances of seeing anything after launch?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2317 on: May 30, 2020, 08:17:01 pm »
What are the chances of seeing anything after launch?
you mean in the UK? With naked eye?

So excited.
Such a geek am I.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2318 on: May 30, 2020, 08:18:05 pm »
you mean in the UK? With naked eye?

So excited.
Such a geek am I.
Yeah. in the north of Ireland.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2319 on: May 30, 2020, 08:20:15 pm »
Yeah. in the north of Ireland.

Very slim. First pass pretty much impossible. 2nd pass at 10.15 might be possible but unlikely.