Author Topic: Dan Gordon's Hillsborough Film  (Read 140411 times)

Offline tbonejones

• Dr. Doolittle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We'll be coming down the road...
Re: Dan Gordon's Hillsborough Film
« Reply #40 on: May 9, 2016, 01:01:48 pm »
Not many words in my head after watching that.

Just that there have been real heroes and angels at work over the last 27 years, countering the work of the absolute bastards that tried to stop them.

Role models in every way.
Journo: ''So, let me get this right, train, coach, train, plane.''
Rafa: ''No, coach first because we will not be walking to the train station.''

Don't Buy The Sun - www.dontbuythesun.co.uk

It was poodle. She was rocking a fucking poodle to sleep.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: May 9, 2016, 04:58:02 pm »
I've watched several other documentaries on Hillsborough before. Videos of it as it happened on Youtube, and Charles McDougall's TV film. This is the first that I've actually had to stop at certain points and take a moment. There's some truly heartbreaking scenes and recollections of events. Just seeing the agony etched on the faces of those who were there was enough to bring me to tears. It's important to remember that not only where there some right horrible c*nts involved in it all, but there were also good men; honorable, brave, and dignified men amongst them that also suffered.

It's difficult to convey in written text the emotions that you feel so soon after watching a program like this. One thing is immediately clear, though: to everyone involved in the pursuit of justice; from the families of the victims, and to people like Phil Scraton, you are in each and every way, in your own way, heroes and an inspiration to all the world over.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #42 on: May 9, 2016, 11:18:38 pm »
I couldn't watch the first half, it was too painful ( and feel guilty for that) but will, when I feel right, caught the last 40 mins and what hit me more than anything was the HSE saying the 7...7!! Turnstiles for 10,000 fans no matter how well run couldn't deliver the people inside until 40 mins after Kick off.

It seems jaw dropping that such a fundamental issue is made clear to us now..the more I think about it, the madness of it , how can SWFC , The FA not be culpable?

That Paul Middup is an evil , sly, obnoxious twat....and a Mason to boot I bet ( and whilst SYP will get it good and proper....the Masons have a lot to answer for in the cover up and lies circulated)

Where as Phil Scraton is a man and a real hero.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: May 9, 2016, 11:39:24 pm »
So easy to say if only this or that or whatever could go wrong went wrong that day. truth is the lot of them fu... up in every possible way because there useless incompetent ba...who had no respect for the fans safety or the regulations and emergency procedures. what sort of sick society allowed something so obviously wrong to last 27yrs.
So angry watching this again last night, all those good decent peoples lives destroyed and vilified by nothing more than scum.   the Cowboy builders of the police force. SYP.
Felt sick for those decent SYP police and the survivors last night. still suffering to this day.
I hope the CPS do the right thing and save the families more heartache fighting a battle they should be doing for them. let them recover in peace, it's been a long draining 27 yrs.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline terrible suits

• Formerly: terrisus
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Justice for the 96 - You'll Never Walk Alone
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2016, 03:43:44 am »
I don't know whether this will help for anyone (I hadn't received any notes of anyone having issues with the plain .mp4 file), but just in case, I made a plain .html webpage with the video embedded. Nothing fancy, but just in case someone needed a webpage to display the video in, as opposed to launching the video directly. Let me know if there are any issues or problems.

http://www.terrisus.com/misc/Hillsborough.html

Offline bordeauxred

• posh scouser
  • Kopite
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2016, 10:07:53 pm »
Very informative documentary. So much respect for Prof Scraton. Absolute hero.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2016, 02:13:47 pm »
I couldn't watch the first half, it was too painful ( and feel guilty for that) but will, when I feel right, caught the last 40 mins and what hit me more than anything was the HSE saying the 7...7!! Turnstiles for 10,000 fans no matter how well run couldn't deliver the people inside until 40 mins after Kick off.
It's an extremely important bit of footage mate, it completely dispels many myths hence we've cut it from the main film in to its own 2 min edit for quick sharing.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sXi0DClt5JQ&amp;showsearch=0&amp;rel=0&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sXi0DClt5JQ&amp;showsearch=0&amp;rel=0&amp;fs=1</a>

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2016, 02:47:47 pm »
It's an extremely important bit of footage mate, it completely dispels many myths hence we've cut it from the main film in to its own 2 min edit for quick sharing.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sXi0DClt5JQ&amp;showsearch=0&amp;rel=0&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sXi0DClt5JQ&amp;showsearch=0&amp;rel=0&amp;fs=1</a>

Yes & was pointed out the amount of fans who went through the turnstiles & the gate equated to the capacity of that end-which pissed on the ticketless fans lie.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2016, 07:43:15 pm »
Just watching again.  Its worse every time.

Prof..   ''the myth begins with the lie''    oh fuck that has me every single time.

Offline martinf

• Main Stander
  • Liverpool FC is my religion, Anfield is my church
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2016, 11:04:16 pm »
Had it recorded and watched it tonight when I had time to take it all in. Thank you Mr. Scraton, and thank you to the families for their ceaseless fight. Tears just flowed watching it.
A Liverbird upon my chest

JFT96 - We have the Truth, now give the 96 Justice and bring those responsible to account for their actions.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2016, 12:26:09 pm »
This article in the Guardian is not about the film itself, but it nevertheless features quite heavily the director Dan Gordon.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/13/sheffield-wednesday-hillsborough-brighton-championship-playoffs
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:59:54 pm by Tsar Kastik »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2016, 09:01:38 pm »
Is Paul Middup of the police federation still alive? I hope they get his head on a stick!
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Bluelagos

• Twinned with Redouagadougou. ITFC Fan but LFC Legend.
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Follow the town, up or down....ok, usually down
    • Hillsborough diaries.
« Reply #52 on: June 1, 2016, 11:30:37 am »
Is Paul Middup of the police federation still alive? I hope they get his head on a stick!

He was alive and well enough to repeat some of his filth at the inquests.   Am sure he will get what is coming  :)

Offline InRed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #53 on: June 1, 2016, 09:54:24 pm »
Just re-watched this. Andy Burnham's nod is such a bittersweet moment.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #54 on: June 1, 2016, 10:05:01 pm »
He was alive and well enough to repeat some of his filth at the inquests.   Am sure he will get what is coming  :)
He did seem to suffer from memory loss though - apparently, during the most significant moments of his entire career, he forgets being at a key Press Conference and at a critical meeting. Bless. I did enjoy seeing him summarily dismissed from the witness stand after having plaintively cried foul at the questioning style to which he was subjected (which was a great moment!). Bless his cottons. :wanker

Offline DredzofOz

• Boys Pen
  • LFC all the way from Sydney
« Reply #55 on: September 3, 2016, 11:12:42 am »
Brilliant doco, was shown here in Australia not too long ago. So hard to watch though. Gut wrenching stuff.

Offline stuartheal

• Kopite
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2016, 04:35:23 pm »
Kept this on Sky Plus from BBC2 showing. Watched it again this afternoon. The 96 will never be forgotten.

Still find it truly shocking how the police and a certain newspaper acted. I sincerely hope that those responsible are held criminally accountable.

An excellent yet harrowing documentary. Every single football fan shoild watch this. Puts it all into perspective.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2017, 11:31:17 pm »
Earlier tonight Dan Gordon's excellent Hillsborough documentary won a BAFTA tv award (for Best Single Documentary)

a clip of the him accepting the award, along with Phil Scraton and some of the other top people who worked on it, his speech, and a post-award interview:-

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cA7CxAhESQ0?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cA7CxAhESQ0?fs=1</a>

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA7CxAhESQ0

The documentary itself can be be seen at (contains additional and updated footage from the Inquests):-

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0yIAGkOpzSk?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0yIAGkOpzSk?fs=1</a>

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yIAGkOpzSk

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2017, 11:39:43 pm »
Bumped. Well deserved recognition.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Beginge

• Boys Pen
« Reply #59 on: August 1, 2017, 03:07:01 pm »
thanks for the movie i'm definitely going to watch it. and thank you guys for your opinions as they were they ones making me watch it. would you mind if i am going to ask some questions after watching it? thanks

Offline P_thy

• Boys Pen
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2017, 07:59:24 pm »
Thanks for the heads up - will definitely keep an eye out for it

Offline PhilScraton

• Love and affection.....on the buses :) aka Fill Scratton.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Main Stander
« Reply #61 on: October 9, 2017, 08:41:36 pm »
Belfast International Arts Festival

HILLSBOROUGH

96 men, women and children died as a consequence of a foreseeable fatal crush on the terraces of the Hillsborough football stadium on 15 April 1989. What followed was one of the longest and most painful fights for justice in British legal history. Daniel Gordon’s BAFTA-winning film meticulously and powerfully presents the true story of how families and campaigners fought for the final vindication of those who had suffered on that day.

Followed by a Q&A with Queen’s University Professor Phil Scraton, factual consultant for the film and primary author of the Hillsborough Independent Panel’s ground-breaking 2012 Report.

DIR: DANIEL GORDON • UK • 2016 • 2 HRS 1 MINS

DATE
Thursday, 19 October 2017
TIME
6:00pm
DURATION
2 hours 1 min
VENUE
Queen’s Film Theatre
TICKET PRICES
£6.70 / £5
« Last Edit: October 9, 2017, 08:44:10 pm by PhilScraton »
'Freedom is always and exclusively freedom for those who think differently' Rosa Luxemburg

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2018, 01:06:31 am »
I've just watched that again.

For the 96 .

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2018, 10:47:33 pm »
Missus is coming round on Saturday and I'm showing her this. She doesn't 'get' football or why I'm so obsessed with our club. Hopefully a deeper understanding will make her understand that we're more than just a club. We're Liverpool.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #64 on: January 5, 2019, 08:06:37 am »
I've just watched that again.

For the 96 .

Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 7, 2022, 09:55:07 pm »
I've spent a lot of time since I joined RAWK a couple of months ago in the Hillsborough Memorial Board. I found the Dan Gordon film and I watched it a couple of nights ago as I hadn't seen it before. I wonder, especially now in the aftermath of the tv show ANNE , and now the #Hillsborough Law Now, if it would be a good idea to bump the thread about the film?

I know most on here have probably seen it but some of the younger/newer fans of Liverpool FC, new members of RAWK and indeed viewers of ANNE might not have. I don't want to be seen as insensitive given that Anne was a hard watch, and this film will be just as difficult. I felt it was a necessary watch, for me anyway.

I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde