Author Topic: Kolo Toure  (Read 163724 times)

Offline WelshMike

• Legacy Fan
Re: Kolo Toure
« Reply #1040 on: December 1, 2013, 04:30:50 pm »
He wasn't great today but I only wish some of our players shared his passion.

Damn right, pretty great to see considering he's only been here for a few months, but he clearly just loves football... and winning. Just like Suarez.

He was alright I thought - one of our better players for sure - but started becoming more erratic as the game went on, but when you've got Skrtel one side of you and Johnson having his worst game in years on the other - you can see why that would happen.

Bottom line is he's generally very solid - he knows when to commit, he's brave, he communicates, he's a leader, and so on. I think him and Sakho would be boss together.
TEAMWORK
Coming together is a beginning.
Keeping together is a progress.
Working together is a success.

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1041 on: December 1, 2013, 08:17:20 pm »
There was obviously no positives to today's performance by anyone really.
After calming down a bit and looking back though I agree, gotta love the passion Toure has.
The emotional reaction he showed after that goal (can't recall which one...) is great to see, very refreshing especially for someone who so recently joined the club.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #1042 on: December 1, 2013, 08:20:32 pm »
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #1043 on: December 1, 2013, 08:35:58 pm »
I like him an all but I thought along with Sterling, Moses and Skrtel he was one of our poorest players

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1044 on: December 1, 2013, 08:57:29 pm »
I like him an all but I thought along with Sterling, Moses and Skrtel he was one of our poorest players
Skrtel was the best of a bad bunch I thought.. just 2 really bad deflections distort an otherwise decent performance.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1045 on: December 1, 2013, 09:11:25 pm »
Skrtel was not the worst part of our back line, but being the only floater in a sea of turds is nothing to brag about.

Time for Agger and Sakho.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1046 on: December 1, 2013, 09:30:54 pm »
By far was very poor
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1047 on: December 1, 2013, 09:31:41 pm »

Skrtel wasn't one of the poor ones

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1048 on: December 1, 2013, 09:39:03 pm »
Skrtel wasn't one of the poor ones
Agree he was just unlucky with the deflections
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1049 on: December 1, 2013, 09:43:25 pm »
He was really poor today.

He seemed to be a yard or two behind the back four at all times and played a lot of people on.

The third goal, whilst ultimately down to Skrtel - was only possible as Kolo was a good ten yards behind the rest of the back four and played their man down the left onside.

Offline Redknobprob

• Kopite
« Reply #1050 on: December 1, 2013, 09:46:51 pm »
This guy better than Sakho?

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #1051 on: December 1, 2013, 10:22:02 pm »
Skrtel was not the worst part of our back line, but being the only floater in a sea of turds is nothing to brag about.

Time for Agger and Sakho.
To be honest, from now on it's got to be Sakho and one of the others, and on this seasons performances it'd be Skrtel for me, over the rest.

We've got massive defensive problems when Johnsons's having a mare like he did today. Kolo, as bad as he was himself, ended up not even wanting to pass the ball 5 yards to Johnson in the second half for fear of him instantly losing the ball.

Rodgers has to pick his back 4 and only change it with injury, the chopping and changing isn't helping anyone.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Online RID1_L

• Main Stander
« Reply #1052 on: December 1, 2013, 10:28:04 pm »
He was really poor today.

He seemed to be a yard or two behind the back four at all times and played a lot of people on.

The third goal, whilst ultimately down to Skrtel - was only possible as Kolo was a good ten yards behind the rest of the back four and played their man down the left onside.

Kolo was down injured which is why he played their man onside. He should've probably stayed down instead of trying to get back up to help out.

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #1053 on: December 1, 2013, 11:01:35 pm »
I really wish we go for him and Sakho together.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1054 on: December 2, 2013, 05:46:13 pm »
He was poor and I would replace both him and Skrtel. The third goal was largely down to him playing their #20 on side when he should have been five yards up the field. It's not who scores the own goal (that's bad in itself too), but the created situations matter form me. He did that on numerous other occasions last game. I don't know if he lost his playing rhythm and will get better next game, or he lost his concentration.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #1055 on: December 2, 2013, 05:51:01 pm »
Should never have been a starter, he has never come across as somebody who inspires confidence that he is not about to drop a clanger. Add him with Skrtel and even Laurel and Hardy would have competition for the greatest comedy pairing.

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1056 on: December 2, 2013, 05:55:22 pm »
Clean fucking awful yesterday!
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1057 on: December 2, 2013, 06:02:58 pm »
I think the dynamic between him and Skrtel was always going to be messy. I remember watching him alongside Wisdom in the Carling Cup game against Notts County and wondering why the hell they looked like Sunday League players with the levels of confusion at times. Skrtel's a player who's hardly the calmer type as a player, and I think there was a lot of uncertainty in that partnership. Maybe it's also the reason Skrtel was on the left side, Toure/Flanagan down the left may have caused similar confusion as Toure/Wisdom down the right as against Notts County.

Anyway, next game, it needs to be Agger and Toure, Toure and Sakho or Agger and Sakho for me. I think they're our best CB partnerships.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1058 on: December 2, 2013, 07:22:06 pm »
I remember watching him alongside Wisdom in the Carling Cup game against Notts County and wondering why the hell they looked like Sunday League players with the levels of confusion at times.

Because they are simply not any better most of the time?

Anyway, next game, it needs to be Agger and Toure, Toure and Sakho or Agger and Sakho for me. I think they're our best CB partnerships.

So you wanna have a sunday five a side player in our CB pairing?

After this game it can only be a three at the back with Agger, Sakho and Skrtel considering the quality of our full backs at the moment...
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline plskikme

• Kopite
  • What Could Have Been and What Can Be
« Reply #1059 on: December 2, 2013, 07:38:22 pm »
It's been said before but he was down injured and tried to get up to continue hence playing Sagbo(?) onside. He was still holding his back when he tried to help Skrtel defend Sagbo, but ended up being drawn toward the ball, giving room for the pass.

It's hard to say who was the worst as almost everybody from top to bottom stank the place up. The shitness just spread throughout the team.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #1060 on: December 2, 2013, 08:01:39 pm »
It's been said before but he was down injured and tried to get up to continue hence playing Sagbo(?) onside. He was still holding his back when he tried to help Skrtel defend Sagbo, but ended up being drawn toward the ball, giving room for the pass.

It's hard to say who was the worst as almost everybody from top to bottom stank the place up. The shitness just spread throughout the team.

Ye that was bloody annoying as it finished the game for good. Sagbo took advantage of Toure being injured, and Toure got back to his feet just as Sagbo got it
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Istanbul, 2005

• Strong believer in UKIP's domestic and European policies.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mersey paradise
« Reply #1061 on: December 2, 2013, 08:10:06 pm »
I thought Agger-Kolo looked very solid, Kolos strength and ability 1v1 combained with Aggers qualities.

Agger-Kolo or Agger-Sakho should be our CBs the coming weeks.
At Half time AC thought they had us beat
The Blueshite were dancing in the North Wales Streets
But Stevie G played like a man posessed
And all they have now is their Bitterness!

How do you sleep at night Duckenfield?

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1062 on: December 3, 2013, 11:58:44 am »
Because they are simply not any better most of the time?

So you wanna have a sunday five a side player in our CB pairing?

After this game it can only be a three at the back with Agger, Sakho and Skrtel considering the quality of our full backs at the moment...

Yeah, I don't think you fully understood my point. I didn't say Toure was a Sunday league player. I said when he played in certain partnerships, there was a level of confusion between those players, which made it look like they were. That confusion we saw again at times on Sunday, and I said before the match I wasn't too confident seeing Skrtel and Toure as our CB pairing.

When you put Toure next to an Agger or Sakho, the defence looks solid. Just like when Skrtel would play alongside Sami or Carra.

I agree with the 3 at the back though - don't see why it was changed. We actually looked fairly solid at the back after that change, but I guess it was still a work in progress. the 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 was more familiar, but since we've gone back to it, we look far too open at times (especially when chasing the game). It represents no progress from a year ago in that regard, which is weird, because I thought the pragmatic approach was working better results wise this season. We can't afford to concede as many goals as we do in games - Sturridge or no Sturridge, we're going not going to win many points if we have to score 3 goals to get a win/draw. And I think we'd concede less with a back 3 of Toure, Sakho and Agger/Skrtel. 

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1063 on: December 3, 2013, 12:06:15 pm »
He looked quite awkward on the ball which is a disaster when Flanagan is on the left, Johnson is having a shocker and Skrtel is not exactly Agger when it comes to playing the ball around. Toure was great doing his job he came in to do, fill in for a centre back in our settled back four. He's not good enough to be the lead centre back which was the problem Sunday. He clearly cares about winning which is great but we can't expect him to perform along side the shit we put out.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1064 on: December 3, 2013, 12:06:37 pm »
Yeah, I don't think you fully understood my point. I didn't say Toure was a Sunday league player. I said when he played in certain partnerships, there was a level of confusion between those players, which made it look like they were. That confusion we saw again at times on Sunday, and I said before the match I wasn't too confident seeing Skrtel and Toure as our CB pairing.

When you put Toure next to an Agger or Sakho, the defence looks solid. Just like when Skrtel would play alongside Sami or Carra.

I agree with the 3 at the back though - don't see why it was changed. We actually looked fairly solid at the back after that change, but I guess it was still a work in progress. the 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 was more familiar, but since we've gone back to it, we look far too open at times (especially when chasing the game). It represents no progress from a year ago in that regard, which is weird, because I thought the pragmatic approach was working better results wise this season. We can't afford to concede as many goals as we do in games - Sturridge or no Sturridge, we're going not going to win many points if we have to score 3 goals to get a win/draw. And I think we'd concede less with a back 3 of Toure, Sakho and Agger/Skrtel. 

I totally agree on the confusion bit. Maybe it´s because CB aren´t used to being rotated and need to be trusted similar to goal keepers who would usually overreact when being put under the pressure of rotation. I think they are all playing a little bit below their standards for serveral reasons... Toure, Skrtel and Agger and I think it has something to do with not playing regular and trying to force it whenever they get game time. On the other hand, they have to get used to it, big clubs usuallly keep 4 center backs around and will rotate on a regular basis.

Yeah, three at the back seems to be the best compromise at the moment considering our full back problems.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #1065 on: December 20, 2013, 07:08:31 pm »
Just seen an interview with him on LFCtv. He really is a great addition to the squad, he is so enthusiastic when he talks and obviously still has such a thirst for success. Brilliant :)
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1066 on: December 20, 2013, 08:10:56 pm »
Would like to see him start alongside Sakho for a few matches as I think they are our 2 best CBs, and would compliment each other very well.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #1067 on: December 20, 2013, 08:27:42 pm »
Would like to see him start alongside Sakho for a few matches as I think they are our 2 best CBs, and would compliment each other very well.

Think Skrtel-Sakho has been a decent partnership lately, and stability is probably good. If it ain't broke don't fix it

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1068 on: December 20, 2013, 08:30:25 pm »
Toure's attitude is so great that I can imagine he's brilliant to have in the squad.

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1069 on: December 20, 2013, 08:40:08 pm »

See absolutely no reason to do so whilst Skrtel and Sakho are playing well together. Chopping and changing the defense every other game can't be good for it.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1070 on: December 20, 2013, 08:53:20 pm »
See absolutely no reason to do so whilst Skrtel and Sakho are playing well together. Chopping and changing the defense every other game can't be good for it.

I just think Toure is a better player than Skrtel and so he should be in the team, and they should be our 2 regular centre halfves.  Skrtel has a mistake in him every match and Toure is a natural leader.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1071 on: December 20, 2013, 08:55:36 pm »

I didn't say anything about chopping and changing, but it would be hard to drop Skrtel at the moment, it also would be bad for his confidence as he hasn't done much wrong.

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1072 on: December 31, 2013, 01:15:51 pm »
I just think Toure is a better player than Skrtel and so he should be in the team, and they should be our 2 regular centre halfves.  Skrtel has a mistake in him every match and Toure is a natural leader.
I agree. Toure is not only the dest defender we've got at the moment, but he's also a natural born leader, sort of like Carragher used to be in his good days.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1073 on: January 4, 2014, 09:13:54 pm »
He's now pretty much what I expected him to be when we announced that we'd signed him - a 4th choice, cup-game/injury-problem option, and a good experienced head to have around a very young squad.

A very clever bosman signing but not the answer to anything in our first XI, really.

Offline LeoMessi

• More Beverley than Barcelona
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1074 on: January 4, 2014, 09:24:13 pm »
A very clever bosman signing but not the answer to anything in our first XI, really.

Why not? he showed in his first 3 games how solid he was with 3 clean sheets, just because Skrtel got ahead of him with his good form doesn't mean he now isn't good enough. I'd say he's our second best CB and probably has more experience than any other player in our squad
FCB|LFC

Offline KaiNo7

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1075 on: January 9, 2014, 05:21:53 pm »
I think we are lucky to have him... Great squad player

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #1076 on: January 9, 2014, 05:24:23 pm »
I agree. Toure is not only the dest defender we've got at the moment, but he's also a natural born leader, sort of like Carragher used to be in his good days.

In his good days? You mean like when he was our best defender right before he retired?
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #1077 on: January 18, 2014, 08:29:41 pm »
Thought he was terrible today both with and without the ball.

i generally quite like the guy as well
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1078 on: January 18, 2014, 08:35:31 pm »
I keep saying it, he is what he is - a clever bosman squad player signing. Brings good experience and presence to a young squad and a good option in times of injuries. Glad we brought him in.

But there's absolutely no way he should be starting games regularly for us.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #1079 on: January 18, 2014, 08:36:49 pm »
Where was he off to for the second goal?