Author Topic: CL SF: Liverpool 4 vs Barçelona 0 (4-3) Origi 6', 79’, Gini 53', 56 Bloody hell.  (Read 266861 times)

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I chuckled when I saw this bumped today.

We ruined them that night.

I doubt if last night's scoreline would have happened without their destruction at Anfield. The premise of their supremecy had been shaken by Roma but it was dispelled by us. They walked off against us knowing that they can be taken apart and that is what did for them last night. They knew that a hammering was possible and that they just didn't have the guts to prevent it. Suarez apart, all of them accepted it.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
After the 1st leg and they missed that late chance, they feared the worst. That's how much they feared a trip to our place, even at  3-0 up they knew it was not over by a long shot.

That 3-0 scoreline was a travesty as we went to their place and dominated them for long stretches, just couldn't get the goal we deserved.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
They should thank their lucky stars Roma beat them in 2018, otherwise we’d have twatted them 2 years running.
We are Liverpool!

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
They should thank their lucky stars Roma beat them in 2018, otherwise we’d have twatted them 2 years running.
When you get beaten half to death in an alley four weeks in a row, you're not thinking "Gee thank god it wasn't the same guy as last week" ;D
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Teams should certainly no longer fear them.  As said above, Roma cracked them, we broke them and Bayern destroyed them.

Bayern was the culmination of a process that began three seasons ago, aided by Barcelona itself rotting from within. Roma made it possible - Liverpool made it inevitable. Bayern was simply the capstone.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Stumbled into this from last year.  Wasn't easy to find, but Joe Scarborough is a well known Liverpool fan.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Uy9uYEfcacA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Uy9uYEfcacA</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
Stumbled into this from last year.  Wasn't easy to find, but Joe Scarborough is a well known Liverpool fan.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Uy9uYEfcacA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Uy9uYEfcacA</a>

He compared Liverpool to Jim Harbaugh? Sometimes I look at Harbaugh and see Brendan Rodgers. He will praise you to the death, but once he no longer likes you the hubris wears thin, and people see him as a fraud.

On the flipside he's like Klopp, there's a video where he talks about blue collar values and Klopp has ingratiated himself to Liverpool similar values, and players run through walls for him.

Bit of a tricky one to compare for us.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
He compared Liverpool to Jim Harbaugh? Sometimes I look at Harbaugh and see Brendan Rodgers. He will praise you to the death, but once he no longer likes you the hubris wears thin, and people see him as a fraud.

On the flipside he's like Klopp, there's a video where he talks about blue collar values and Klopp has ingratiated himself to Liverpool similar values, and players run through walls for him.

Bit of a tricky one to compare for us.

I know nothing about American sports lol.  I just liked how Joe talked about the overhaul of our backline and the difference it made to us.

He's as far away from a typical LFC fan as you can imagine, being an outright conservative, but you also get the impression that he has total respect for the club's values, and those of the city, even if he doesn't agree with them.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
I've been watching those Barcelona fan reactions videos of that night on YouTube recently, just delicious to see their cocky arrogance wiped off their faces.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan

great explanation that. as a neutral at least we are the team to support. our tenacity and human spirit is something to behold.

it gives us a mystic aura as well. The comeback in istanbul,dortmund and barcelona. Teams would look at us and obviously have that thought playing in their minds even before stepping on the pitch or even a goal or two up.

but of course that does make us more unbearable. :P

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Watching this game back just reinforces how vital it is to get the fans back in to stadiums (once safe, obviously!)

That night would never have happened in an empty Anfield. Absolute magic.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Watching this game back just reinforces how vital it is to get the fans back in to stadiums (once safe, obviously!)

That night would never have happened in an empty Anfield. Absolute magic.

One of those games that in 30 years if you add up everyone “who was there” attendance will show as 250,000 ;D

Never gets old listening to the radio 5 commentary

Offline Ginieus

• Main Stander
  • Chilled out entertainer
One of those games that in 30 years if you add up everyone “who was there” attendance will show as 250,000 ;D

Never gets old listening to the radio 5 commentary

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06qd4fy

5 Live commentary from the 2005 final. Gives me goosebumps every time and dare say a bit teary at times. Will always be best night of my life i'll never forget.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
After the 1st leg and they missed that late chance, they feared the worst. That's how much they feared a trip to our place, even at  3-0 up they knew it was not over by a long shot.
You know, I hate when the media bring that Dembele chance as if that would've been game over at 4-0. Putting aside our performance on the night, Mo had missed an open goal just moments before to make it 3-1. I suppose had we gone out maybe people would've looked at Mo's miss as the 'turning point'.

Regardless, all a 4th goal would've given Barca is the opportunity to take us to extra time but more likely the probability of us scoring a 5th ;D
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

• Kopite
You know, I hate when the media bring that Dembele chance as if that would've been game over at 4-0. Putting aside our performance on the night, Mo had missed an open goal just moments before to make it 3-1. I suppose had we gone out maybe people would've looked at Mo's miss as the 'turning point'.

Regardless, all a 4th goal would've given Barca is the opportunity to take us to extra time but more likely the probability of us scoring a 5th ;D

Does Trent quickly take that corner if we are still behind on aggregate though? Not so sure. We still would of needed a goal at that point. It's okay to take that risk when you are level on aggregate.

When he took that risk, it was the equivalent of 0-0 on aggregate scoreline wise.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
Does Trent quickly take that corner if we are still behind on aggregate though? Not so sure. We still would of needed a goal at that point. It's okay to take that risk when you are level on aggregate.

When he took that risk, it was the equivalent of 0-0 on aggregate scoreline wise.
It was purely opportunistic by Trent, so I think he would've tried it whether we were behind or level, he went on instinct rather than thinking it all through.

The only way he does pause and think is if we were already ahead and looking to save legs.

The main premise is that looking at individual misses as turning points can be a little pointless unless you look at all misses!
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

• Kopite
It was purely opportunistic by Trent, so I think he would've tried it whether we were behind or level, he went on instinct rather than thinking it all through.

The only way he does pause and think is if we were already ahead and looking to save legs.

The main premise is that looking at individual misses as turning points can be a little pointless unless you look at all misses!

That's actually true. Because I remember when Aurelio did it against Chelsea, we were behind. He just saw an opening and went for it like Trent.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
https://twitter.com/Moving_Unit/status/1341311966422458368?s=19

Just saw this and it brought back wonderful memories

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I listened to the 5L coverage in bed this morning as I was waking up.

He'll never be forgotten.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good god above what a game of football. Will never ever tire of watching clips of that night back. Let's hope something like those days can return again soon.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Happy anniversary. 2 years ago today

Offline RedMichelFerri

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - Liverpool till I die
What a night it was....and the scenes at the end with players will always remain in our memories.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.”

- Rafa Benitez : RIP Ray.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Happy anniversary. 2 years ago today

Stupid question but where does the time go? Two years, wow.

Such an unbelievable night and thanks to the fact we went on to win the trophy, one we can always look back on fondly without any bittersweet feelings.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Stupid question but where does the time go? Two years, wow.

Such an unbelievable night and thanks to the fact we went on to win the trophy, one we can always look back on fondly without any bittersweet feelings.

Yeah, it always seems such a shame that the Dortmund comeback is marred by not winning the trophy, it's still one of the best games I've ever been too - possibly second after Barca in fact.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What a time to be alive this was. I ended up watching this in a bar in Florida, take me back!

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
Ah what a fucking game.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Ah what a fucking game.

What a week!

Newcastle in the Saturday night which was one of the most fraught games I’ve ever watched. The frustration of not winning a game we should be winning, the Salah injury, the feeling that the season was going to end in a way that didn’t do the manager or players justice then the elation of a late winner that kept hopes alive.

Monday night - I couldn’t watch it so only found out the score at full time, but the growing hope we might just have it back in our hands, and then City score a once in 5 seasons kind of goal and the fear that everything is lost again.

Tuesday - say no more

Wednesday - the madness of Ajax v Spurs and the slight mixed feelings about facing another English club in the final, tempered by the fact we knew we were better and must be strong favourites.

Sunday - final day. We take the lead, Brighton score, that glorious minute when it looked things might go our way. That soon ended but we were left with such a feeling of pride in these wonderful players.

What a week! Not great for the health with the severe highs and lows but compare that now to the numb and empty feeling of seeing us toil in empty grounds.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
One game I will never tire of watching. How Hendo managed to keep going through the ninety plus minutes I will never know. The agony he was in at the end takes my breath away.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
What a week!

Newcastle in the Saturday night which was one of the most fraught games I’ve ever watched. The frustration of not winning a game we should be winning, the Salah injury, the feeling that the season was going to end in a way that didn’t do the manager or players justice then the elation of a late winner that kept hopes alive.

Monday night - I couldn’t watch it so only found out the score at full time, but the growing hope we might just have it back in our hands, and then City score a once in 5 seasons kind of goal and the fear that everything is lost again.

Tuesday - say no more

Wednesday - the madness of Ajax v Spurs and the slight mixed feelings about facing another English club in the final, tempered by the fact we knew we were better and must be strong favourites.

Sunday - final day. We take the lead, Brighton score, that glorious minute when it looked things might go our way. That soon ended but we were left with such a feeling of pride in these wonderful players.

What a week! Not great for the health with the severe highs and lows but compare that now to the numb and empty feeling of seeing us toil in empty grounds.

I was at the Wolves game. The minute, the minute, the fucking minute. The big WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED at the end of the game. Deserved both titles that season. The most insane and superhuman effort. The fact that they went back and it got the following seasons shows tons about their character.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2021, 01:43:18 pm by lamonti »

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
The big WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED at the end of the game.

The goosebumps. I've been looking for the footage of that ever since, never managed to find it.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
Mate messaged me about an hour before leaving, saying he was gonna drive down, rather than jump the train. On the walk up to the ground, I said (whilst not particularly believing it was going to happen) how he’d possibly cost us the greatest night out we’d ever have.

My head still thanks him to this day. Don’t think I slept more than an hour still that night, was up repeatedly watching it and had the biggest adrenaline rush I’ve ever known.
AHA!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
I refuse to believe it's been two full years. Ridiculous.

Fearless  :scarf :champ
« Last Edit: May 7, 2021, 01:23:18 pm by disgraced cake »
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
This would have been so much better in an empty ground

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
One of the greatest days of my life.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
My missus never spoke to me for three days after I'd shelled out for a corporate ticket as I missed out on the sales after going to all the home games that campaign.

I came home very early in the morning after driving back (well, floating back it felt like!) and just smiled at her when I saw her. Credit to her, even she said (and she hates football) "that was amazing"

And wasn't it. Thought I'd never be in the ground to see another game like when we turned Dortmund over again anytime soon, but my God, that was something from another universe that night.

I'm actually typing this looking at the ticket stub from the game. Goosbumps have appeared and a warm glow as well. Happy weekend guys.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
My missus never spoke to me for three days after I'd shelled out for a corporate ticket as I missed out on the sales after going to all the home games that campaign.

I came home very early in the morning after driving back (well, floating back it felt like!) and just smiled at her when I saw her. Credit to her, even she said (and she hates football) "that was amazing"

And wasn't it. Thought I'd never be in the ground to see another game like when we turned Dortmund over again anytime soon, but my God, that was something from another universe that night.

I'm actually typing this looking at the ticket stub from the game. Goosbumps have appeared and a warm glow as well. Happy weekend guys.
Nice post.

All I can remember from the game after Origi's goal was..........sheer manic bedlam on the Kop !

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
The Origi goal is the least I’ve ever celebrated a crucial goal. I just didn’t understand what was happening. I though it would get pulled back. Ended up just stood there silently shaking my head. Now the Wjinaldum second goal... there’s where I lost all of my shit.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
The Origi goal is the least I’ve ever celebrated a crucial goal. I just didn’t understand what was happening. I though it would get pulled back. Ended up just stood there silently shaking my head. Now the Wjinaldum second goal... there’s where I lost all of my shit.

And pre-VAR as well. :D

One of the many highs of supporting this great club. Even though we may now be in a slough of despond we know that things will get better and those highs will return.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
And pre-VAR as well. :D

One of the many highs of supporting this great club. Even though we may now be in a slough of despond we know that things will get better and those highs will return.

There was VAR in the game. They used it to look to see if Gini should have got a red card for ragging the ball away from Ter Stegen for his 1st goal.