Author Topic: Typhoid Trump: the not-smart, corrupt, coward, loser, thread  (Read 4571287 times)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: Ill Douche - Fungal Dick
« Reply #55600 on: July 15, 2019, 03:01:14 pm »
Hes on one hell of a Twitter rant right now.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #55601 on: July 15, 2019, 03:03:48 pm »

Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump
5m5 minutes ago

“We all know that AOC and this crowd are a bunch of Communists, they hate Israel, they hate our own Country, they’re calling the guards along our Border (the Border Patrol Agents) Concentration Camp Guards, they accuse people who support Israel as doing it for the Benjamin’s,....

....What does it mean for America to have free Healthcare for Illegal Immigrants, no criminalization of coming into our Country - See how that works for controlling Immigration! They talk about Israel like they’re a bunch of thugs, not victims of the entire region. They wanted...

.....to impeach President Trump on DAY ONE. Make them the face of the future of the Democrat Party, you will destroy the Democrat Party. Their policies will destroy our Country!”  @LindseyGrahamSC  Need I say more?

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #55602 on: July 15, 2019, 03:07:16 pm »
Maybe she should act consistently with the tweets.

In the tweet that I quoted, Pelosi states Donald Trump is a racist but undermines that recognition by stating that she wants to work with him on immigration reform. That is a nonsensical and dishonest position. Much like her invented phrase of “self-impeachment.”

“Our diversity is our strength and our unity is our power” - after she spent the week attacking the same 4 women through the party machinery for having the temerity to call attention to the conditions in the camps and to demand a substantive response from their leadership. Instead of giving a substantive response, Pelosi ushered through avote on the Senate bill to fund the detainment centres after obtaining reassurances from Mike Pence that he would let her know how quickly detained children die.

I am certain that Nancy Pelosi will continue to use her clout within the party to attack these same 4 women, while doing nothing constructive to stop Trump’s lawlessness. Apparently it’s part of a master plan to defeat Trump in 2020.

Who elevated AOC etc. to their status as the lead anti-Trumpers? Why not Adam Schiff or Jerry Nadler who are definitely out to get Trump and are more than capable and empowered to do it? Why aren't they known as AS or JN?

Because the GOP has targeted AOC in social media. The Russians possibly too. Trump's campaign was looking for someone to take on, but on his terms...bypassing Pelosi, Warren and other more far more experienced people that could be turned into lefty boogeymen. No, they focused on a target that is inexperienced, prolific in social media and has TV appeal.

Now they are using her to fuel the old Bernie/Clinton divide that was so helpful last time.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55603 on: July 15, 2019, 03:13:06 pm »
His whole "drain the swamp" schtick was an anti-Clinton message. His whole "lock her up", and his threats to put her in jail, etc. He put that message front and centre to win the anti-Clinton vote. As well as that, he probably benefited from the Sanders supporters "anyone but Clinton" message. You're probably right on the outcomes, but Trump definitely ran on an anti-Clinton message for a large part of his campaign. It appealed to people who might have voted for Sanders otherwise, but saw Clinton as everything wrong with Washington, and Trump as the element that was going to make Washington do its job, etc.

Being anti-Clinton was a given. Any GOP candidate would jump all over that baggage. But the difference was policy in the rustbelt. And look what Trump has achieved for them...China tariffs,  Steel Tariffs, renegotiating NAFTA, pro coal regulations. He didn't try to prosecute Clinton with all the GOP committees at his disposal. He didn't try to lock her up. He rushed to do all the stuff he promised the rustbelt. The cLinton stuff was just filler in campaign speeches.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55604 on: July 15, 2019, 03:19:02 pm »
considering AOC played the race card on her the other day and later backtracked when someone told her what a fuckup she’d done I’d say Pelosi is well within her rights to do so, after all it’s just 4 of them and I doubt their reach/popularity is anywhere near what they think it is, ditto their ability/skills to actually run something

Several of them have made some gaffs. AOC took Trump's stupid bait when he compared her to Eva Peron...and quoted Peron. Not a smooth move.

The most important thing about this group is not their sex, colour or whatever. It is their inexperience. And the GOP is exploiting it. Pelosi is in her right to criticise them.

I'm curious what Hakeem Jeffries has to say? He is the best bet to take over from Pelosi and he is the Chairman of the Dem Caucus.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55605 on: July 15, 2019, 03:29:35 pm »
If the Supreme Court equivocates about the powers of Congress to investigate, then Impeachment might be only option left to them, as its powers to investigate and hold hearings are specific and enshrined in the Constitution. It is also the duty of Congress to impeach a President like Trump. If it is not used now, when should it be used?

Oversight is in the constitution too. The right of the ways and means committee to request a president's taxes is also in law. Most of these legal shenanigans by Trump like the stupid Census case. It is about delaying and disincentivising  rather than ironclad legal arguments. The impatience of some Dems is what they want. They're trying to slow things down and build frustration. It's what he did as a businessman, it's what he is doing as president...using lawyers to dissuade his opponents.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #55606 on: July 15, 2019, 03:40:55 pm »
I gotta believe his base is eroding.

Not all of the deplorables are morons.
Kill the humourless

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55607 on: July 15, 2019, 04:45:23 pm »
Oversight is in the constitution too. The right of the ways and means committee to request a president's taxes is also in law. Most of these legal shenanigans by Trump like the stupid Census case. It is about delaying and disincentivising  rather than ironclad legal arguments. The impatience of some Dems is what they want. They're trying to slow things down and build frustration. It's what he did as a businessman, it's what he is doing as president...using lawyers to dissuade his opponents.

It's like every legal battle he's ever fought.  A war of attrition that he tries to drag out beyond his opponent's ability to fight it.  He's spent his entire adult life mired in one form of litigation or another.

Due process is being followed.  Only when it is exhausted does impeachment become the only real option.  The difference between now and Watergate is even Nixon had more respect for the rule of law than Trump - and so did any number of his backers.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #55608 on: July 15, 2019, 05:01:30 pm »
Well, 'oversight' is an implied power. The power to 'impeach' is explicit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_oversight

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_in_the_United_States

This is why the Democrats might be forced to go down the impeachment route - if the Supreme Court (with its biases) rule against Congress - or, as might be more likely, simply abdicate responsibility in ruling in the matter.

I guess time will tell.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #55609 on: July 15, 2019, 05:10:49 pm »
Anyone who thinks trying to get trump impeachment is a good idea right now with a GOP majority senate needs to check themselves, Dems need to get the best candidate with the best chance of winning (and no that isn’t Bernie despite what the regressives like to think, if they had any sense they’d get fully behind warren who is way better and an actual democrat, not one when it suits them) and aim to win the senate and the house, then they can go after trump and his lot and actually win, whereas now they’re destined to fail (ditto with the green new deal some seem to think is a good idea to try to get through when it will get laughed out the senate) and waste their time trying to appeal to people who won’t vote trump and who get off on the virtue signalling from stuff like that which won’t help get to the end goal
This, all this would do is give trump an easy win, but hey I’m sure some are cool with 4 more years of trump instead of a dem as they can whine and bitch for another 4 year since instead of having one of theirs come in and get the odd thing wrong

This

The next time someone tells me they have a problem with Biden or Harris or any other Democrat because they are "corporatist elites" or some other such bullshit, I'll tell them to read those Trump tweets. And then politely tell them to fuck off.

And this

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #55610 on: July 15, 2019, 05:12:37 pm »
US President Donald Trump has said that some Democrat congresswomen from countries “whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe” should “go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came”.

While it was not explicitly clear to whom he was referring, it came after the president launched an extraordinary attack on Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ilhan Omar – both women of colour – saying he “doesn’t even know where they came from”

Donald J. Trump
33m33 minutes ago

So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly......

....and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how....

....it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough. I’m sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!

The ridiculousness of his comments is shown in even greater focus when you consider:

Ocasio-Cortez - father is the son of an immigrant; mother is an immigrant

Trump -  father is the son of an immigrant; mother is an immigrant

An identical 'immigration ancestry footprint'

(NB - almost didn't post this, as it seems to pamper to that arsewitted mindset that loves to paraphrase the odious Arthur Wellesley. We're human fucking beings first and foremost, I hate delineating people into race/nationality/religion/gender/sexuality/etc)
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #55611 on: July 15, 2019, 05:19:16 pm »
FYI, it is possible to be happy with literally any candidate who beats trump, AND also have a conversation about which of those candidates might be better than the others.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55612 on: July 15, 2019, 05:21:52 pm »
FYI, it is possible to be happy with literally any candidate who beats trump, AND also have a conversation about which of those candidates might be better than the others.

I don't understand how this easy to understand nuance keeps getting missed. Just because somebody has (legitimate) criticisms of Biden or Harris or Clinton doesn't mean they support Trump ahead of that candidate.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55613 on: July 15, 2019, 05:31:46 pm »

It's my favorite thing these days. People shitting all over Bernie, while demanding everybody fall in line behind Biden (or whoever).

Usually the same people who won't vote for Corbyn too!
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55614 on: July 15, 2019, 05:54:58 pm »
It's like every legal battle he's ever fought.  A war of attrition that he tries to drag out beyond his opponent's ability to fight it.  He's spent his entire adult life mired in one form of litigation or another.

Due process is being followed.  Only when it is exhausted does impeachment become the only real option.  The difference between now and Watergate is even Nixon had more respect for the rule of law than Trump - and so did any number of his backers.

Plus, the current investigations are not about just Trump. They are his campaign, his team, GOP poluticians and party apparatus, the NRA, the Russians, etc. Nailing him on obstruction of justice that he is pardoned for or is deemed not guilty of by the senate...is that worth the trade if all-of-the above?

It reminds me of the baby bull and papa bull story. They round a hill and see a field full of cows. The baby bull says, "Let's run down and have sex with one if those cows!". The papa bull responds, "No son, we will walk down and have sex with all of them".

The Dems can cast a much wider net with the current process.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55615 on: July 15, 2019, 05:59:20 pm »

The ridiculousness of his comments is shown in even greater focus when you consider:

Ocasio-Cortez - father is the son of an immigrant; mother is an immigrant

Trump -  father is the son of an immigrant; mother is an immigrant

An identical 'immigration ancestry footprint'

(NB - almost didn't post this, as it seems to pamper to that arsewitted mindset that loves to paraphrase the odious Arthur Wellesley. We're human fucking beings first and foremost, I hate delineating people into race/nationality/religion/gender/sexuality/etc)

What S-hole country was his mother from?

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55616 on: July 15, 2019, 06:00:56 pm »
I don't understand how this easy to understand nuance keeps getting missed. Just because somebody has (legitimate) criticisms of Biden or Harris or Clinton doesn't mean they support Trump ahead of that candidate.

And the purpose of the leadership race is to test candidates and challenge their weak points early.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55617 on: July 15, 2019, 06:04:46 pm »
What S-hole country was his mother from?
Steady. I believe it was Scotland. :)
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55618 on: July 15, 2019, 06:36:28 pm »
He is doubling down again today...

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #55619 on: July 15, 2019, 07:21:28 pm »
He is doubling down again today...

Lindsey Graham has now called them communists as well. And when asked about the comments, Ken Cuccineli said "So what?"

That's why I've been reiterating just how important it is to get these imbeciles out of the White House, even if they're to be replaced with a Democratic Corporatist-Wall Street banker's mop that's being kept in a broom closet somewhere.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55620 on: July 15, 2019, 07:30:33 pm »
a Democratic Corporatist-Wall Street banker's mop that's being kept in a broom closet somewhere.

Corey Booker is probably not gonna win it, fortunately.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55621 on: July 15, 2019, 07:33:43 pm »
Lindsey Graham has now called them communists as well. And when asked about the comments, Ken Cuccineli said "So what?"

That's why I've been reiterating just how important it is to get these imbeciles out of the White House, even if they're to be replaced with a Democratic Corporatist-Wall Street banker's mop that's being kept in a broom closet somewhere.

2 GOP senators have come out to distance themselves from Trump's comments...they're from Pennsylvania and Ohio...

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55622 on: July 15, 2019, 07:56:45 pm »
Plus, the current investigations are not about just Trump. They are his campaign, his team, GOP poluticians and party apparatus, the NRA, the Russians, etc. Nailing him on obstruction of justice that he is pardoned for or is deemed not guilty of by the senate...is that worth the trade if all-of-the above?

It reminds me of the baby bull and papa bull story. They round a hill and see a field full of cows. The baby bull says, "Let's run down and have sex with one if those cows!". The papa bull responds, "No son, we will walk down and have sex with all of them".

The Dems can cast a much wider net with the current process.

I'm liking that metaphor. ;)

In other news, police have found a fake Epstein passport at his house.  And apparently he has some kind of bolt hole in Saudi.  (Only read the headline so might be shaky interpreting that)

Popcorn's Art

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55623 on: July 15, 2019, 07:56:52 pm »

Here are 5 of Trump’s most unhinged moments as his ‘Showcase to America’ descended into absurdity[/url

1. Trump proudly defends racist attack on The Squad

When a reporter asked Trump if it worried him that “white nationalist groups” are “finding common cause with you” over his attack on The Squad, the president responded, “It doesn’t concern me because many people agree with me. And all I’m saying is, ‘If they want to leave, they can leave.’ It doesn’t say ‘Leave forever.’ It says ‘leave.’”

Trump added, “If they’re not happy with the United States” and “doing nothing but criticizing us all the time,” they should no longer remain in the country.

2. Trump attacked Pelosi as ‘racist’ for saying he wants to ‘make America white again’

In response to Trump’s tweets attacking “The Squad,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi asserted that he’s “trying to make America white again.” And Trump, when asked about Pelosi’s assertion, claimed that the House speaker was the one being racist. Trump told reporters, “That’s a very racist statement. I’m surprised she’d say that.”

4. Trump bragged about ‘big tariffs on China’

Some economists have criticized Trump for imposing tariffs on other countries, including U.S. allies Mexico and Canada. But Trump used the Made in America event to defend tariffs, especially tariffs on China. Trump boasted, “We put tariffs on China, very big tariffs on China.”

5. Trump bragged that U.S./Mexico border wall will thrive despite efforts to subvert it

During his speech, Trump complained that the U.S. has protected other countries’ borders while failing to protect its southern border. “We’d fight for the right of other countries to have a strong, powerful border so that nobody could come in,” Trump asserted. “But our border was like a leaking sieve — and that has changed so rapidly and so much.”

Trump continued, “We’re building a wall as we speak even though we have about seven lawsuits trying to stop it.” And he praised the Mexican government, saying, “Mexico has been a great help.”

Trump says his racist attacks were ‘not at all’ racist as Pelosi preps resolution condemning him

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55624 on: July 15, 2019, 07:59:53 pm »
All they do is complain says the racist whiner in chief.

Trump goes nuts after speech — calls Pelosi ‘very racist’ and claims Ilhan Omar loves al Qaeda

On Monday, President Donald Trump doubled down on racist comments deriding Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) and New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY).

Trump repeated comments that if they’re not happy with America, they should leave. Both woman are U.S. citizens.

“They’re very unhappy. I’m watching them. All they do is complain. So all I’m saying is, if they want to leave, they can leave,” Trump said.

He also wrongly claimed that Omar had made comments praising Al-Qaeda and he stated, wrongly, that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) is racist.

A reporter asked Trump about Pelosi’s comment, in which she said Trump wanted to “make America white again. “

“That’s a very racist statement — somebody who would say that,” Trump replied. “Speaker Pelosi said, ‘make America white again.’ Let me tell you, that’s a very racist statement. I’m surprised she’d say that.”

The president later added that Omar “hates Jews.”

Trump made the comments following the White House’s 3rd Annual Made in America Product Showcase.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55625 on: July 15, 2019, 08:00:18 pm »
I'm liking that metaphor. ;)

In other news, police have found a fake Epstein passport at his house.  And apparently he has some kind of bolt hole in Saudi.  (Only read the headline so might be shaky interpreting that)

They found a foreign passport with his picture from the 80s listing Saudi Arabia as his home. Nobway shpuld that guy get bail.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55626 on: July 15, 2019, 09:10:59 pm »
They found a foreign passport with his picture from the 80s listing Saudi Arabia as his home. Nobway shpuld that guy get bail.

Nah.  Let him skip off to Saudi - then Trump can negotiate the bestest arms deal ever with them in exchange for his return.  Which wont happen and then we can all watch TV as Saudi Arabia "pacifies" the region with American built military hardware.

Popcorn's Art

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #55627 on: July 15, 2019, 09:27:59 pm »
If the Dems ever get complete control they need to be as dirty as the Repugs, make it nearly impossible for them to get back in (as much as they can with the SC being biased)

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55628 on: July 15, 2019, 09:43:26 pm »
NBC News
Amid 'race card' allegations, Pelosi teaches Ocasio-Cortez a math lesson
 Jonathan Allen 
15 hrs ago

WASHINGTON — As they feud publicly, freshman Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is slowly learning a painful lesson about American politics at the hands of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi: Power is about numbers.

Pelosi has them and Ocasio-Cortez does not.

The more Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., lashes out over the limits of her own influence, the more obvious those limits become and the more the imbalance tilts in the direction of Pelosi, D-Calif. After all, their fellow politicians are nothing if not hypersensitive to even the slightest shifts in the winds of power.

Now, they're freely dunking on Ocasio-Cortez and her allies in the wake of her not-so-veiled allegation that Pelosi is discriminating against her clique, known as "The Squad," because of their lack of seniority, their gender and their skin color.

The idea struck much of Washington as so ridiculous that the list of Pelosi's defenders included not only a legion of congressional Democrats but also Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., and President Donald Trump.

"One thing we will not tolerate," Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, D-D.C., said, "is using the race question, otherwise known as the race card, on any member — especially a member who has an enviable record." If Pelosi had a problem on race, Norton added, "the whole world would know it."

Norton, 82, knows a thing or two about the obstacles young women of color face in society and politics: she attended segregated schools here, helped organize the 1963 civil rights march on Washington and served successively as the head of New York City's civil rights commission and the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Ocasio-Cortez said Friday that it is "stupidly untrue" to say she played the "race card" against Pelosi.

She is surely right about one thing: Pelosi has made an example out of The Squad and helped them isolate themselves from the rest of the Democratic caucus as a party of four.

The reality is that The Squad's influence in American politics is more than four votes in the House — but less than its members seem to think.

In late June, as Pelosi was trying to put together a spending package to provide resources to the U.S. border with Mexico, she made concessions to the Congressional Progressive Caucus, a much larger set of lawmakers that includes The Squad. Pelosi didn't just want to pass the bill; she wanted the entire Democratic caucus to vote for it so that she would have maximum possible leverage in negotiations with the more conservative Senate and White House.

Her negotiations with the progressive caucus proved fruitful — with four glaring exceptions. When it came time to vote, The Squad cast the only Democratic votes against the bill. That infuriated Pelosi, but it also gave her an opening to demonstrate to the rest of the caucus that Ocasio-Cortez and her cohort are an island unto themselves within the party.

When Pelosi subsequently went ahead and put the Senate's version of the bill on the floor — against the wishes of progressives — it was harder to argue with the logic that she couldn't fully trust that votes would materialize if she tried to amend it first.

In other words: the argument was progressives had only The Squad to blame for the failure to get a more liberal border bill. Whether that's true or not, Ocasio-Cortez and her friends certainly didn't make the case for themselves as team players with their votes against the original version.

At the same time, Pelosi began publicly calling them out for stirring up dissent on social media but failing to turn online activism into voting power in Congress.

"All these people have their public whatever and their Twitter world," Pelosi said in an interview with New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd. "But they didn't have any following. They're four people and that's how many votes they got."

Then, in a closed-door caucus meeting this past week, when Pelosi admonished lawmakers not to use social media to attack each other, there wasn't any question whom she was targeting: in a tweet just days earlier, Ocasio-Cortez's chief of staff had accused modern Southern Democrats of being like segregationists of old. "Our caucus is very upset about some of the comments that have come from the staffs," Pelosi told reporters as she left the meeting Wednesday.

In the past, separately and collectively, The Squad has gone to battle with fellow Democrats on political issues from primary elections to the influence of pro-Israel donors in American politics, as well as administrative matters such as the composition of House committees and policy issues like the situation on the border. To this point, these four lawmakers have created infinitely more headlines and headaches for the Democrats than they have legislative victories.

Ocasio-Cortez took particular umbrage at Pelosi's string of recent reprimands.

"When these comments first started, I kind of thought that she was keeping the progressive flank at more of an arm's distance in order to protect more moderate members, which I understood," Ocasio-Cortez said this week in an interview with The Washington Post. "But the persistent singling out ... it got to a point where it was just outright disrespectful ... the explicit singling out of newly elected women of color."

The back-and-forth between the high-profile lawmakers has touched off a firestorm within the Democratic caucus that pulls at virtually every thread of intersectionality, but the most commonly expressed sentiment is that Ocasio-Cortez has crossed a lot of lines with a lot of lawmakers and has not shown her colleagues, including Pelosi, the kind of respect that she demands for herself.

As for the question of whether Pelosi is discriminating against The Squad on the basis of gender, seniority and skin color, most Democrats find that absurd.

"We all have a framework through which we see life and my framework is not one that is defined by my gender, race or background, and so I can't relate to what has been said," Rep. Stephanie Murphy, D-Fla., a second-term Vietnamese American leader of the moderate Blue Dog Coalition, said in a telephone interview with NBC News. "I will say that my interactions with the speaker, when we disagree or if we agree, have always been professional, and I think that lack of professionalism [on the part of Ocasio-Cortez] is what we are seeing here."

Murphy, who often has clashed with Pelosi on policy and strategy, has found success in speaking the speaker's language — by bringing votes along with her to force negotiations on particular points of disagreement and by trying to find solutions rather than simply blocking legislation. She explained the tension between Pelosi and The Squad in those terms.

"I think it's probably natural friction that's due to the speaker, whose primary goal is to retain the majority and ride herd over a very diverse caucus, and the fact of the matter is not all of our colleagues are interested in legislating collaboratively and some of them may not be interested in legislating," she said.

The tension between Pelosi and Ocasio-Cortez has existed since before the latter was even sworn in, as they battled over a select committee on climate change. It was only a matter of time before it boiled over. But Pelosi, whose power derives from her ability to collect and count votes, didn't strike until the numbers were most clearly in her favor.

When she did, there were 227 Democrats in her camp and four in Ocasio-Cortez's. That's the kind of math lesson that should be hard to forget.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/amid-race-card-allegations-pelosi-teaches-ocasio-cortez-a-math-lesson/ar-AAEjlsJ?ocid=spartanntp
Kill the humourless

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #55629 on: July 15, 2019, 10:12:05 pm »
He off on one again

Donald J. Trump
2m2 minutes ago

We will never be a Socialist or Communist Country. IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY HERE, YOU CAN LEAVE! It is your choice, and your choice alone. This is about love for America. Certain people HATE our Country....

....They are anti-Israel, pro Al-Qaeda, and comment on the 9/11 attack, “some people did something.” Radical Left Democrats want Open Borders, which means drugs, crime, human trafficking, and much more....

....Detention facilities are not Concentration Camps! America has never been stronger than it is now – rebuilt Military, highest Stock Market EVER, lowest unemployment and more people working than ever before. Keep America Great!

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55630 on: July 15, 2019, 10:18:59 pm »
They got nothing that's why everyone is mad! Are you just reciting from a script? The articles are out there, this bill was a great opportunity for Pelosi and the Dems to push back on the border crisis and instead they rolled over. It's common knowledge. What I would have done? Literally anything, at all. Fucking pick a bad thing and try and make it less shit. No more cages, no more separating families, take your pick.

As for impeachment, I said disrupt. Anything that gives him less time to fuck up America is good for me.

I'm not reading from a script, I'm repeating myself because you can't answer my question. They had one day before the recess to secure some funding for the border situation. Republicans were never going to support the Democratic bill, however they changed it. Pelosi did get some concessions but they were never going to make major concessions and they were certainly never going to agree to stop separating families or keeping kids in cages as part of this legislation, whatever Pelosi did. (And I would add that without actually being involved in the negotiations neither of us know what concessions she actually tried to get). The Republicans didn't need to make any concessions, they could claim a win whatever happened - if it went through it would look like they got their way, if it didn't they could blame the Democrats and say that they didn't really care about securing more funding.

So after the Republicans have rejected your bill, and refused to make any significant concessions or compromises (because they don't have to), what would you do then? It's all very well saying 'fight for it' but it's meaningless if the answer coing back from the other side is always 'no'. You actually have to convince the party with a majority to agree to what you want. You can act tough but if it results in no funding whatsoever, what have you achieved?So then if you end up with a choice between a flawed bill thaf provides some funding, or no funding whatsoever, or the bill going through anyway without your support - which can be spun as you refusing to help the situatiom with actual money and only being interested in political posturing - which choice is the best one? Anyway, this argument is pointless.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55631 on: July 15, 2019, 10:33:40 pm »
I'm not reading from a script, I'm repeating myself because you can't answer my question. They had one day before the recess to secure some funding for the border situation. Republicans were never going to support the Democratic bill, however they changed it. Pelosi did get some concessions but they were never going to make major concessions and they were certainly never going to agree to stop separating families or keeping kids in cages as part of this legislation, whatever Pelosi did. (And I would add that without actually being involved in the negotiations neither of us know what concessions she actually tried to get). The Republicans didn't need to make any concessions, they could claim a win whatever happened - if it went through it would look like they got their way, if it didn't they could blame the Democrats and say that they didn't really care about securing more funding.

So after the Republicans have rejected your bill, and refused to make any significant concessions or compromises (because they don't have to), what would you do then? It's all very well saying 'fight for it' but it's meaningless if the answer coing back from the other side is always 'no'. You actually have to convince the party with a majority to agree to what you want. You can act tough but if it results in no funding whatsoever, what have you achieved?So then if you end up with a choice between a flawed bill thaf provides some funding, or no funding whatsoever, or the bill going through anyway without your support - which can be spun as you refusing to help the situatiom with actual money and only being interested in political posturing - which choice is the best one? Anyway, this argument is pointless.

You can't say "this argument is pointless" after continuing it. You can either stop or continue, but you can't just end it arbitrarily.

Your argument is she did what she could. And that was nothing. I'm saying she could have fought more and got more. And that isn't a controversial leftist opinion, people were prepared for a fight and expecting one and instead she rolled over and gave up everything.

People talk about how successful she was in winning back the house but your argument appears to be that despite such an epic win, there's nothing at all she can do even slightly impede Trump.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #55632 on: July 15, 2019, 10:41:26 pm »
You can't say "this argument is pointless" after continuing it. You can either stop or continue, but you can't just end it arbitrarily.

Your argument is she did what she could. And that was nothing. I'm saying she could have fought more and got more. And that isn't a controversial leftist opinion, people were prepared for a fight and expecting one and instead she rolled over and gave up everything.

People talk about how successful she was in winning back the house but your argument appears to be that despite such an epic win, there's nothing at all she can do even slightly impede Trump.

But your solution to the issue Rob Dylan poses is that "she has to fight more for it" or do something more. You're not offering any specifics. Do you think she just sits there all day and does nothing? No negotiations, nothing? Republicans refuse to offer any compromises or make concessions. What do you do then? You either hit a brick wall and come to a stop where nothing gets done or do what Pelosi did. She's dealing with ineptitude and stone-walling of the highest order. She's not negotiating with normal people.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55633 on: July 15, 2019, 10:44:40 pm »
Several of them have made some gaffs. AOC took Trump's stupid bait when he compared her to Eva Peron...and quoted Peron. Not a smooth move.

The most important thing about this group is not their sex, colour or whatever. It is their inexperience. And the GOP is exploiting it. Pelosi is in her right to criticise them.
yup, looks like those 4 have isolated themselves within the dems which is a ridiculously dumb idea at the stage in their careers that they’re at, honestly don’t think they’re anywhere near as popular as twitter makes them think (most AOC stuff that gets retweeted on my feed isn’t from Americans), much like the bernie bros a few years ago just a loud minority, and whilst they’re good at pointing out others flaws you don’t see any realistic solutions proposed from them, really wouldn’t be shocked if at least one of them gets primaried and loses next time out (if they’re neglecting their constituents for the national spotlight then they could get voted out in a few years)

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #55634 on: July 15, 2019, 10:46:23 pm »
yup, looks like those 4 have isolated themselves within the dems which is a ridiculously dumb idea at the stage in their careers that they’re at, honestly don’t think they’re anywhere near as popular as twitter makes them think (most AOC stuff that gets retweeted on my feed isn’t from Americans), much like the bernie bros a few years ago just a loud minority, and whilst they’re good at pointing out others flaws you don’t see any realistic solutions proposed from them, really wouldn’t be shocked if at least one of them gets primaried and loses next time out (if they’re neglecting their constituents for the national spotlight then they could get voted out in a few years)

I'd be more than willing to bet that at least one of them will be on their way out during the next election cycle.

Edit: "Ocasio-Cortez was recognized by 74% of voters in the poll; 22% had a favorable view.Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota — another member of The Squad — was recognized by 53% of the voters; 9% (not a typo) had a favorable view."

https://www.axios.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-poll-democrats-2020-aeaa3771-f142-4059-b79e-1fed569dfdf9.html
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 10:50:53 pm by Caligula? »

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55635 on: July 15, 2019, 10:48:14 pm »
But your solution to the issue Rob Dylan poses is that "she has to fight more for it" or do something more. You're not offering any specifics. Do you think she just sits there all day and does nothing? No negotiations, nothing? Republicans refuse to offer any compromises or make concessions. What do you do then? You either hit a brick wall and come to a stop where nothing gets done or do what Pelosi did. She's dealing with ineptitude and stone-walling of the highest order. She's not negotiating with normal people.

You want me to come with a border control policy at work?

Abolish ICE. Start there, work backwards.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55636 on: July 15, 2019, 10:53:08 pm »

I can stop but I can't end it arbitrarily - what? I just expressed my opinion that it was pointless as we were going round in circles, not trying to stop you from commenting. Anyway, she did not 'do nothing' as quite clearly there were negotiations and discussions to try and get support for the Democratic bill, and then when it was clear that wouldn't pass, to try and get concessions on the Republican bill. She got some minor concessions, obviously not enough - but she did not 'do nothing'. And unless you were there in the meetings, you don't know what was discussed or what she tried to get. You've said she could have 'fought more and got more' - but again that's just words...specifically how could she have got more? When the answer from the other side is always 'no', to everything, and when they don't need to make any compromises, how are you going to 'get more'? They had one day left before the recess to at least secure some funding, and without it the situation would have got even worse. But hey, at least they could've said they were being 'tough'.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 10:55:15 pm by Rob Dylan »

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55637 on: July 15, 2019, 10:57:22 pm »

And whom is the only person that can do that?
Kill the humourless

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55638 on: July 15, 2019, 10:58:29 pm »
You want me to come with a border control policy at work?

That's got nothing to do with the negotiations over the border funding bill though has it? It's not something the Democrats can do unless they're in power, and it's not like Pelosi could've demanded the abolition of ICE as part of those negotiations.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55639 on: July 15, 2019, 11:03:57 pm »
The frustrating thing about all this is that while the media predictably gets caught up in debating just how racist Trump's comments are, they seem to be missing the more sinister side to what he's said - the idea that criticising the President means you're criticising America - and therefore you hate America. That's classic dictator behaviour. That's what they should be focussing on, and those Democrats he's talking about need to respond by saying something like, "I love America, but I hate what the President is doing to America".