Author Topic: Typhoid Trump: the not-smart, corrupt, coward, loser, thread  (Read 4570892 times)

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ill Douche - Fungal Dick
« Reply #55560 on: July 14, 2019, 11:07:47 pm »
Lots talked about it, but more Sanders supporters voted Hillary than Hillary supporters voted for Obama in 08. Difference is Obama won.

You're literally saying she should do nothing and then also do nothing. And you wonder why people are mad that she does nothing.

Is this supposed to make sense? What I'm 'literally saying' is what I 'literally' wrote - that securing some funding for the border crisis is better than securing none, which is what would've happened if she had refused to back the Republican bill. You still haven't answered the question, what would you have done in her position? Specifically on the border funding bill(s).

And regarding impeachment, what I'm 'literally saying' is that I'd be happy for them to start impeachment proceedings, but they wouldn't change what's happening at the border, or stop Trump doing anything else. The most they would do is make him a bit more unpopular going into the 2020 election.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #55561 on: July 14, 2019, 11:13:28 pm »
I'd be quite happy to forego impeachment if I felt that Pelosi and her cronies were doing anything else to make life even slightly difficult for him.

"We'll beat Trump with a good candidate running on a solid platform" - sounds familiar, what could go wrong.

Those committees are doing q good job. They are run by some really clever and experienced folks. I'd give them q chance to do their jobs, they have court cases coming  up. They have Mueller and others coming up.

Not everything will rest on the presidential candidate. Every single GOP candidate from dogcatcher on up will have Trump tied to them in the election. The Dems could pick up lots in the house, senate and statehouses too. An impeachment process that fraudulently clears him lets them off the hook.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55562 on: July 14, 2019, 11:16:47 pm »
Is this supposed to make sense? What I'm 'literally saying' is what I 'literally' wrote - that securing some funding for the border crisis is better than securing none, which is what would've happened if she had refused to back the Republican bill. You still haven't answered the question, what would you have done in her position? Specifically on the border funding bill(s).

And regarding impeachment, what I'm 'literally saying' is that I'd be happy for them to start impeachment proceedings, but they wouldn't change what's happening at the border, or stop Trump doing anything else. The most they would do is make him a bit more unpopular going into the 2020 election.

Concessions, oversight. Restrictions on ICE and improvements in the conditions for the families stuck in concentration camps. Literally anything rather than just giving them the money.

That last paragraph is mind blowing. Making Trump less popular is literally the point. Tie him up.in courts, defending his reputation. Put pressure on him to defend his name rather than letting him run roughshod over the entire country.

The Republicans constantly fucked with Obama during his Presidency and the Democrats are too pathetic to even push back slightly on anything. Oh wait no, she tweeted some stuff. And that one time she sarcastically applauded him. No wait, she clarified afterwards that she was being entirely sincere. The Resistance indeed.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55563 on: July 14, 2019, 11:17:18 pm »
Anyone who thinks trying to get trump impeachment is a good idea right now with a GOP majority senate needs to check themselves, Dems need to get the best candidate with the best chance of winning (and no that isn’t Bernie despite what the regressives like to think, if they had any sense they’d get fully behind warren who is way better and an actual democrat, not one when it suits them) and aim to win the senate and the house, then they can go after trump and his lot and actually win, whereas now they’re destined to fail (ditto with the green new deal some seem to think is a good idea to try to get through when it will get laughed out the senate) and waste their time trying to appeal to people who won’t vote trump and who get off on the virtue signalling from stuff like that which won’t help get to the end goal

Not everything will rest on the presidential candidate. Every single GOP candidate from dogcatcher on up will have Trump tied to them in the election. The Dems could pick up lots in the house, senate and statehouses too. An impeachment process that fraudulently clears him lets them off the hook.
This, all this would do is give trump an easy win, but hey I’m sure some are cool with 4 more years of trump instead of a dem as they can whine and bitch for another 4 year since instead of having one of theirs come in and get the odd thing wrong

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55564 on: July 14, 2019, 11:21:23 pm »
Those committees are doing q good job. They are run by some really clever and experienced folks. I'd give them q chance to do their jobs, they have court cases coming  up. They have Mueller and others coming up.

You are far more optimistic than me. I hope you're right. I doubt it though.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55565 on: July 14, 2019, 11:22:55 pm »
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
@AOC

Mr. President, the country I “come from,” & the country we all swear to, is the United States.

But given how you’ve destroyed our border with inhumane camps, all at a benefit to you & the corps who profit off them, you are absolutely right about the corruption laid at your feet.
-----
You are angry because you don’t believe in an America where I represent New York 14, where the good people of Minnesota elected @IlhanMN, where @RashidaTlaib fights for Michigan families, where @AyannaPressley champions little girls in Boston.
-----
You are angry because you can’t conceive of an America that includes us. You rely on a frightened America for your plunder.

You won’t accept a nation that sees healthcare as a right or education as a #1 priority, especially where we’re the ones fighting for it.
-----
But you know what’s the rub of it all, Mr. President?

On top of not accepting an America that elected us, you cannot accept that we don’t fear you,either.

You can’t accept that we will call your bluff & offer a positive vision for this country. And that’s what makes you seethe.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55566 on: July 14, 2019, 11:25:12 pm »
Ayanna Pressley
@AyannaPressley

THIS is what racism looks like. WE are what democracy looks like. And we’re not going anywhere. Except back to DC to fight for the families you marginalize and vilify everyday.
-----

Ilhan Omar
@IlhanMN

Mr. President,

As Members of Congress, the only country we swear an oath to is the United States.

Which is why we are fighting to protect it from the worst, most corrupt and inept president we have ever seen.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55567 on: July 14, 2019, 11:40:20 pm »
Concessions, oversight. Restrictions on ICE and improvements in the conditions for the families stuck in concentration camps. Literally anything rather than just giving them the money.

That last paragraph is mind blowing. Making Trump less popular is literally the point. Tie him up.in courts, defending his reputation. Put pressure on him to defend his name rather than letting him run roughshod over the entire country.

The Republicans constantly fucked with Obama during his Presidency and the Democrats are too pathetic to even push back slightly on anything. Oh wait no, she tweeted some stuff. And that one time she sarcastically applauded him. No wait, she clarified afterwards that she was being entirely sincere. The Resistance indeed.

How can the Democrats force any 'concessions' without a majority in the Senate and with McConnell in charge? They are not interested in concessions or negotiations. You seem to be suggesting that the Democrats should've got the Republicans to agree to most of the stuff that was in the Democratic bill, but without them actually voting for the Democratic bill. Again, what choice, in practical terms, would you have made - support the Republican bill and secure some funding, or keep banging your head against a brick wall and secure none, just to look tough. And 'literally anything' isn't an answer.

The Republicans 'constantly fucked with Obama' because for most of his Presidency they had a majority in at least one of the houses, and just blocked everything. That's just the practical reality, the Democrats can talk tough all they like but it's useless if they can't get anything through the Senate.

I said that the most that impeachment would achieve is making him a bit more unpopular come the next election. On the other hand, it could backfire (or at least not really have any impact) if it drags on for ages and nothing comes of it. I'm not against it, but it would not stop Trump from doing anything, as you seem to suggest it would. He's constantly having to defend himself now anyway...impeachment is not going to stop him 'riding roughshod over the entire country'. Name one of his policies that would be hindered or stopped by impeachment.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55568 on: July 14, 2019, 11:51:25 pm »
How can the Democrats force any 'concessions' without a majority in the Senate and with McConnell in charge? They are not interested in concessions or negotiations. You seem to be suggesting that the Democrats should've got the Republicans to agree to most of the stuff that was in the Democratic bill, but without them actually voting for the Democratic bill. Again, what choice, in practical terms, would you have made - support the Republican bill and secure some funding, or keep banging your head against a brick wall and secure none, just to look tough.

They could have fucking fought for it. Pelosi said she would. And then... didn't.

It's not outsmarting the fascists to just roll over and let them do whatever they want because "we'll get them in 2020", all it's doing is letting Trump fuck up the country and show strength. And anyone that thinks this is wrong and shouldn't be allowed gets to look up at Nancy Pelosi saying "it's wrong but we'll allow it".

You earn votes, you're not entitled to them. Running as not-Trump isn't going to win anything. And running as "not-Trump but we won't stop him" is even worse.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55569 on: July 15, 2019, 12:15:40 am »
They could have fucking fought for it. Pelosi said she would. And then... didn't.

It's not outsmarting the fascists to just roll over and let them do whatever they want because "we'll get them in 2020", all it's doing is letting Trump fuck up the country and show strength. And anyone that thinks this is wrong and shouldn't be allowed gets to look up at Nancy Pelosi saying "it's wrong but we'll allow it".

You earn votes, you're not entitled to them. Running as not-Trump isn't going to win anything. And running as "not-Trump but we won't stop him" is even worse.

'They should have fought for it' is not an answer, it's just vague sabre-rattling. What would you do, in practical terms, if you had a bill that you know the Senate will never endorse, in whatever form, simply because it's a Democratic bill. 'Fighting for it' isn't going to get you anywhere, becuase whatever you do, they still won't vote for it, and it'll never get through. If there is then an alternative bill which is not what you want but it at least provides some funding to alleviate the crisis, what would you do? Deliver absolutely no funding just to look tough? How would that help those migrants held in detention camps? There was an urgent need for some funding, it would be irresponsible to drag it out for weeks and months and refuse to vote for any bill, when you know you will never get your preferred bill through. And unless you were there in the negotiations, you don't know what concessions or oversight they did or didn't get, or fought to get. But there's only so much you can do if the other side simply refuses to concede anything, and refuses to govern responsibly.

And you still haven't answered how impeachment will stop any of Trump's policies. That's not to say it's a bad idea, but it won't 'stop' anything.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #55570 on: July 15, 2019, 12:21:16 am »

Running as "not-Clinton" worked for Trump, though.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55571 on: July 15, 2019, 12:26:12 am »
'They should have fought for it' is not an answer, it's just vague sabre-rattling. What would you do, in practical terms, if you had a bill that you know the Senate will never endorse, in whatever form, simply because it's a Democratic bill. 'Fighting for it' isn't going to get you anywhere, becuase whatever you do, they still won't vote for it, and it'll never get through. If there is then an alternative bill which is not what you want but it at least provides some funding to alleviate the crisis, what would you do? Deliver absolutely no funding just to look tough? How would that help those migrants held in detention camps? There was an urgent need for some funding, it would be irresponsible to drag it out for weeks and months and refuse to vote for any bill, when you know you will never get your preferred bill through. And unless you were there in the negotiations, you don't know what concessions or oversight they did or didn't get, or fought to get. But there's only so much you can do if the other side simply refuses to concede anything, and refuses to govern responsibly.

And you still haven't answered how impeachment will stop any of Trump's policies. That's not to say it's a bad idea, but it won't 'stop' anything.

They got nothing that's why everyone is mad! Are you just reciting from a script? The articles are out there, this bill was a great opportunity for Pelosi and the Dems to push back on the border crisis and instead they rolled over. It's common knowledge. What I would have done? Literally anything, at all. Fucking pick a bad thing and try and make it less shit. No more cages, no more separating families, take your pick.

As for impeachment, I said disrupt. Anything that gives him less time to fuck up America is good for me.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #55572 on: July 15, 2019, 01:18:47 am »
But this is the Primary season, where we try to chase out the shitty candidates and get the one we want. I'm not falling in line behind every candidate right now. As long as people represent a better America I'm going to do as much as I can to get them ahead of the likes of Biden.

And I don't disagree with that. You have the right ro line up behind whichever candidate you'd like. My gripe is more aimed at a future scenario, one where I hope a repeat of 2016 doesn't happen. And that has to do with a certain section of democrats not voting in the general election because they're not happy with the nominee. And this can go both ways. Progressives being unhappy with Biden (as they were with Clinton) or centrists thinking that a Sanders/Warren is too extreme. It's a process that will fairly play out. The nominee must be supported whoever it may be.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55573 on: July 15, 2019, 01:32:30 am »
Running as "not-Clinton" worked for Trump, though.

Did he really? He was all about himself. He promised a hurting and angry rustbelt that he would turn back time. He was going to bring back coal, steel, manufacturing jobs. That's what tilted the election really. A few thousand votes in the rustbelt. They didn't hate Hillary like evangelicals or southerners do. Clinton never offered them anything at all. That was the difference.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55574 on: July 15, 2019, 01:44:34 am »
And I don't disagree with that. You have the right ro line up behind whichever candidate you'd like. My gripe is more aimed at a future scenario, one where I hope a repeat of 2016 doesn't happen. And that has to do with a certain section of democrats not voting in the general election because they're not happy with the nominee. And this can go both ways. Progressives being unhappy with Biden (as they were with Clinton) or centrists thinking that a Sanders/Warren is too extreme. It's a process that will fairly play out. The nominee must be supported whoever it may be.

My guess is unless it's Biden, everyone more or less falls in.

But don't assume that's enough.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55575 on: July 15, 2019, 01:54:32 am »
They got nothing that's why everyone is mad! Are you just reciting from a script? The articles are out there, this bill was a great opportunity for Pelosi and the Dems to push back on the border crisis and instead they rolled over. It's common knowledge. What I would have done? Literally anything, at all. Fucking pick a bad thing and try and make it less shit. No more cages, no more separating families, take your pick.

As for impeachment, I said disrupt. Anything that gives him less time to fuck up America is good for me.

You don't think he is distracted? Check out his twitter these days. He is freaking. Why? His cabinet is dropping like flies and the Dem comittees are interviewing people out of his control these days.

Impeachment would focus it all on him...it would feed the beast.him and McConnell would control the narrative. "Waste of time" would be the mantra. The house just wants to waste valuable time,

The big difference with Nixon...the Dens controlled the house and the senate after the 1972 elections. The Dems had 56 senate seats. They controlled the committees and the agenda of impeachment. There was also a tape recording of him telling others to break the law.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55576 on: July 15, 2019, 02:28:20 am »
You don't think he is distracted? Check out his twitter these days. He is freaking. Why? His cabinet is dropping like flies and the Dem comittees are interviewing people out of his control these days.

Impeachment would focus it all on him...it would feed the beast.him and McConnell would control the narrative. "Waste of time" would be the mantra. The house just wants to waste valuable time,

The big difference with Nixon...the Dens controlled the house and the senate after the 1972 elections. The Dems had 56 senate seats. They controlled the committees and the agenda of impeachment. There was also a tape recording of him telling others to break the law.

I'm far less into impeachment than I am obstructing him in other ways, but doing neither is unacceptable.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #55577 on: July 15, 2019, 02:40:12 am »
The Washington Post
‘His own fiefdom’: Mulvaney builds ‘an empire for the right wing’ as Trump’s chief of staff
 Seung Min Kim, Lisa Rein, Josh Dawsey, Erica Werner 
2 hrs ago

Mick Mulvaney’s battles with Alexander Acosta began almost immediately.

Weeks after he was named acting White House chief of staff, Mulvaney summoned the labor secretary for a tense January encounter that became known inside the West Wing as “the woodshed meeting.”

Mulvaney told Acosta in blunt terms that the White House believed he was dragging his feet on regulation rollbacks desired by business interests and that he was on thin ice as a result, according to advisers and a person close to the White House. Soon after, Acosta proposed a spate of business-friendly rules on overtime pay and other policies.

But it wasn’t enough to save Acosta from Mulvaney’s ire — and helps explain why the former federal prosecutor had such tepid administration support last week as he resigned over his handling of a high-profile sex-crimes case more than a decade ago.

The episode illustrates the growing influence wielded by Mulvaney, a former tea-party lawmaker who has built what one senior administration official called “his own fiefdom” centered on pushing conservative policies — while mostly steering clear of the Trump-related pitfalls that tripped up his predecessors by employing a “Let Trump be Trump” ethos.

This account of Mulvaney’s rising power is based on interviews with 32 White House aides, current and former administration officials, lawmakers and legislative staffers, some of whom requested anonymity to speak candidly. Mulvaney and the White House declined to make him available for an interview.

Mulvaney — who is technically on leave from his first administration job as budget director — spends considerably less time with Trump than the two previous chiefs of staff, Reince Priebus and John F. Kelly. And the president has sometimes kept him out of the loop when making contentious foreign policy decisions, advisers say. At a recent donor retreat in Chicago, Mulvaney told attendees that he does not seek to control the president’s tweeting, time or family, one attendee said. Priebus and Kelly had clashed with the president over his Twitter statements and the influence of his eldest daughter and her husband, who are senior advisers.

Instead, Mulvaney has focused much of his energy on creating a new White House power center revolving around the long-dormant Domestic Policy Council and encompassing broad swaths of the administration. One White House official described Mulvaney as “building an empire for the right wing.”

He has helped install more than a dozen ideologically aligned advisers in the West Wing since his December hiring. Cabinet members are pressed weekly on what regulations they can strip from the books and have been told their performance will be judged on how many they remove. Policy and spending decisions are now made by the White House and dictated to Cabinet agencies, instead of vice versa. When Mulvaney cannot be in the Oval Office for a policy meeting, one of his allies is usually there.

“You have a chief of staff with a professional commitment to ensuring that a real policy agenda gets enacted,” said Charmaine Yoest, who served in senior roles in the Trump White House and at Health and Human Services before moving to the Heritage Foundation. “You’ve got to dig in, chart a path forward and stay committed to it, and we welcome his serious approach to policymaking.”

But Mulvaney also faces significant obstacles on Capitol Hill, where he made enemies on both sides of the aisle during his three terms as a bomb-throwing House conservative. Democrats openly disdain him as a saboteur, while many key Republicans distrust his willingness to compromise, particularly on fiscal policy. Some GOP senators freely signal they would rather deal with any other administration official than him.

Mulvaney spends more time in his office than his predecessors, feeling no need to sit in on all of Trump’s meetings. He regularly huddles with Joe Grogan, a hard-liner who now leads the domestic council, and Russell T. Vought, a conservative ally who runs the Office of Management and Budget in Mulvaney’s absence.

Advisers say a whiteboard in Mulvaney’s office has two items with stars beside them: immigration and health care. Immigration, however, is largely left to top White House adviser Stephen Miller and, to a lesser extent, presidential son-in-law Jared Kushner, with dim prospects for significant legislation on Capitol Hill. Passing any kind of health-care bill before the 2020 election is also unlikely, aides say, while budget cuts sought by Vought have died quickly in Congress.

Mulvany’s biggest successes so far have come in deregulation efforts, where he prods agencies to move faster in case Trump loses or Democrats win the Senate in 2020, advisers say.

Aside from the domestic policy shop, Mulvaney has also tapped allies to fill roles in the White House’s legislative affairs operation, the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, and his old haunts at OMB. He regularly suggests ideas to all of them.

“What I am seeing is that Mulvaney cares about the domestic agencies much more than the prior chiefs of staff did,” said Tammy McCutchen, a former Labor Department official in the George W. Bush administration who is now a partner at the Littler Mendelson law firm. “They’re holding the agencies accountable to move forward on regulations.”

In the past two months, he has forced out the chiefs of staff at Health and Human Services and the Labor Department amid policy disputes with them and their respective secretaries. Mulvaney and Grogan have repeatedly clashed with HHS Secretary Alex Azar, overruling him, for example, on ending the funding of medical research by government scientists using fetal tissue.

Emma Doyle, Mulvaney’s deputy, has sought to control all presidential events and the president’s schedule — asking officials to submit formal proposals for why they should be in the room and controlling who is usually in the room. She also leads a weekly meeting on presidential events. Doyle was recently in charge of a review of the president’s immigration agencies and led a months-long hunt earlier this year for who was leaking the president’s internal schedules.

“Everything is controlled. The only people not under his thumb are Kudlow and Bolton,” said one senior administration official, referring to economic adviser Larry Kudlow and national security adviser John Bolton.

Where Priebus and Kelly were more deferential to Cabinet members, Mulvaney has told them they are being judged on how much they can deregulate, with the policy council monitoring them daily. He is pushing for faster rollbacks of rules enacted by former president Barack Obama before Trump’s first term ends, such as restricting what falls under the Clean Water Act and halting implementation of higher fuel-economy standards, according to administration officials.

The president has blessed Mulvaney’s operation, White House aides said, and Trump considers his chief of staff an emissary to movement conservatives who have been vital to his presidency. But some Trump advisers say the president has no idea what Mulvaney and his aides do all day.

Mulvaney and Vought, among others, have sought to convince Trump to care more about cutting spending and the deficit. But Trump has rebuffed many of their proposed cuts as deficits soar.

Trump recently told West Wing aides that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) told him no politician had ever lost office for spending more money. Two people with direct knowledge confirmed that McConnell delivered that message in a June phone call about budget sequestration.

Although pleasing to businesses, Mulvaney’s efforts are also heartening to social conservatives, who say they are finding a more open reception than before.

For instance, a new rule released in May gives health-care providers, insurers and employers greater latitude to refuse coverage for medical services they say violate their religious or moral beliefs. That policy is facing legal challenges. The same month, the White House proposed a rollback of Obama-era rules that banned discrimination against transgender medical patients. Another rule, also being challenged in the courts, bans taxpayer-funded clinics from making abortion referrals.

“We’re just taking the president’s challenge seriously to look everywhere and come up with options for deregulation that spurs economic growth,” Vought said in an interview. “You have an administration that’s in sync and everyone is talking to each other.

Mulvaney — who has acknowledged to other advisers he knows little about foreign policy — has installed a deputy for national security, Rob Blair, who regularly battles with Bolton and his allies. Mulvaney and Bolton are barely on speaking terms, and Blair has regularly challenged Bolton’s subordinates, according to people familiar with the relationship.

Mulvaney has also been a key backer internally of Halil Suleyman Ozerden, whom Trump nominated for the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals last month despite misgivings from conservatives, according to people familiar with the matter. Ozerden and Mulvaney have known each other for years and Mulvaney was a groomsman in Ozerden’s wedding. Mulvaney vouched for him in a private conversation with Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), who chairs the committee that will take up Ozerden’s nomination.

The former House Freedom Caucus member’s sway in Congress is clearly limited, however. GOP aides routinely trash Mulvaney in private and say he has done little to improve his image from his House days, when he was a leading antagonist in forcing government shutdowns and other hardball tactics. McConnell has told others on Capitol Hill that he would prefer to deal with Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.

In a recent interview, Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Richard C. Shelby (R-Ala.) paused for 10 seconds when asked whether Mulvaney was a productive force, particularly during a meeting with key principals in the office of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) in June.

Shelby finally responded that Mulvaney was “engaged” before pointing out that Mnuchin was the lead negotiator on behalf of the administration in the fiscal talks.

The bad blood between Mulvaney and Democrats is even more obvious.

Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.) recalled being pleasantly surprised when the White House reached out to a half-dozen deal-minded Democratic senators in April, wanting to discuss the influx of migrant children at the border.

But he said there was no follow-up from the White House. Later, Tester saw Mulvaney on television complaining that the administration had met with Democrats on the border problems but that they weren’t working to address them.

“I think it was about Mulvaney being able to get on national TV and say, ‘We met with the Democrats,’ ” Tester said. “It was apparent to me that that was the political agenda behind it. It wasn’t about getting anything done. It was about laying blame.”

Mulvaney appears fully aware of his shortcomings with lawmakers, joking to others in the White House about his unpopularity on Capitol Hill. “I know they’d rather deal with Mnuchin,” Mulvaney has said, according to two White House officials.

Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.), who served in the House with Mulvaney, praised his performance but noted that senators are also able to talk to the president directly about any concerns.

“He’s not there to be a clerk. He’s there to lead,” Cramer said. “But I think it’s also clear that when the president says this is the position, that Mick’s more than capable of carrying out the president’s position. And I suspect in some cases they’re far apart — but in most cases they’re pretty well in line.”

Mulvaney’s relationship with Trump has had its rocky moments. During a recent ABC News interview, the president berated Mulvaney on camera for coughing.

But the two men are unlikely to part ways, advisers say, partially because Mulvaney knows when to leave Trump alone — and is a good golfer.

“He takes the phrase chief of staff in the literal way. He’s the chief of the staff. He’s not chief of the president,” said Jonathan Slemrod, who led congressional outreach for Mulvaney at OMB until November. “He thinks Trump is a political genius and doesn’t second-guess a lot of his decisions.”

For his part, Mulvaney has joked about being an acting chief of staff, arguing there is no practical difference.

“You could make me the permanent chief of staff tomorrow and he could fire me on Thursday,” Mulvaney said of Trump at a June 11 fiscal summit sponsored by the Peterson Foundation. “Or you could leave me as the acting chief of staff and I could stay to the second term. It doesn’t make any difference.”

He added, “I’ll stay as long as I feel like he values my opinion and I like working for him, and both those things are happening right now.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/his-own-fiefdom-mulvaney-builds-an-empire-for-the-right-wing-as-trumps-chief-of-staff/ar-AAEk5ey?ocid=spartanntp
Kill the humourless

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55578 on: July 15, 2019, 07:17:21 am »
I'm far less into impeachment than I am obstructing him in other ways, but doing neither is unacceptable.

Obstructing like not giving him his wall in a gov shutdown standoff? That took balls and that took some media skill. Pelosi owned Trump on that one.

The ice raids are being obstructed at the city law enforcement level. The Dem house members are trickling to the border for photo ops to bear witness and keep it in the media. Pence went down and the narrative was already written before he went.

Negotiations for the debt ceiling will be beginning soon.

Trump is insecure. Chinese torture of bad headlines is effective. More effective than an impeachment circus he can control.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55579 on: July 15, 2019, 07:23:09 am »

You were saying  ;D

Maybe she should act consistently with the tweets.

In the tweet that I quoted, Pelosi states Donald Trump is a racist but undermines that recognition by stating that she wants to work with him on immigration reform. That is a nonsensical and dishonest position. Much like her invented phrase of “self-impeachment.”

“Our diversity is our strength and our unity is our power” - after she spent the week attacking the same 4 women through the party machinery for having the temerity to call attention to the conditions in the camps and to demand a substantive response from their leadership. Instead of giving a substantive response, Pelosi ushered through avote on the Senate bill to fund the detainment centres after obtaining reassurances from Mike Pence that he would let her know how quickly detained children die.

I am certain that Nancy Pelosi will continue to use her clout within the party to attack these same 4 women, while doing nothing constructive to stop Trump’s lawlessness. Apparently it’s part of a master plan to defeat Trump in 2020.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #55580 on: July 15, 2019, 07:29:47 am »
Did he really? He was all about himself. He promised a hurting and angry rustbelt that he would turn back time. He was going to bring back coal, steel, manufacturing jobs. That's what tilted the election really. A few thousand votes in the rustbelt. They didn't hate Hillary like evangelicals or southerners do. Clinton never offered them anything at all. That was the difference.

His whole "drain the swamp" schtick was an anti-Clinton message. His whole "lock her up", and his threats to put her in jail, etc. He put that message front and centre to win the anti-Clinton vote. As well as that, he probably benefited from the Sanders supporters "anyone but Clinton" message. You're probably right on the outcomes, but Trump definitely ran on an anti-Clinton message for a large part of his campaign. It appealed to people who might have voted for Sanders otherwise, but saw Clinton as everything wrong with Washington, and Trump as the element that was going to make Washington do its job, etc.
Better looking than Samie.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55581 on: July 15, 2019, 07:56:29 am »
I am certain that Nancy Pelosi will continue to use her clout within the party to attack these same 4 women, while doing nothing constructive to stop Trump’s lawlessness. Apparently it’s part of a master plan to defeat Trump in 2020.
considering AOC played the race card on her the other day and later backtracked when someone told her what a fuckup she’d done I’d say Pelosi is well within her rights to do so, after all it’s just 4 of them and I doubt their reach/popularity is anywhere near what they think it is, ditto their ability/skills to actually run something

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #55582 on: July 15, 2019, 08:40:45 am »
I'd be quite happy to forego impeachment if I felt that Pelosi and her cronies were doing anything else to make life even slightly difficult for him.

"We'll beat Trump with a good candidate running on a solid platform" - sounds familiar, what could go wrong.

Pelosi's cronies? This has all the hallmarks of the shitshow we have in the Labour Party over here.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55583 on: July 15, 2019, 08:53:33 am »
Pelosi's cronies? This has all the hallmarks of the shitshow we have in the Labour Party over here.
problem with that logic is he thinks corbyn is a good idea

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55584 on: July 15, 2019, 08:55:10 am »

I'm confused, unless I'm misreading the intent of this post it feels like you're allowed to criticize the Labour leadership but we can't criticize the Democratic leadership? Labour doing nothing about brexit is bad, Dems doing nothing about concentration camps is not bad?

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #55585 on: July 15, 2019, 09:45:52 am »
They swept California including orange county. You think AOC polls well in orange county? Talk about fantasy.

Have you not seen all the house committee hearings going on into Trump? How is an impeachment hearing any different or more effective at swaying public opinion against him? Will Trump and his cronies cooperate even more with them? Will the court fights over those hearings last any shorter time than the court fights over the current house committee investigations?

I'd rather the dems go into 2020 with their house candidates having a list of real changes they tried to implement but for a do-nothing senate. I'd rather the environment and healthcare to be the rallying cries of Dem Senate and house candidates trying to expand the electorate...not having those subjects drowned out by an impeachment circus.

Will your disgust with Trump's policies be any less when President Pence and his VP Nikki Haley candy coat them?
If the Supreme Court equivocates about the powers of Congress to investigate, then Impeachment might be only option left to them, as its powers to investigate and hold hearings are specific and enshrined in the Constitution. It is also the duty of Congress to impeach a President like Trump. If it is not used now, when should it be used?
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55586 on: July 15, 2019, 09:55:50 am »

And, there might be photos or film of Trump breaking the law. This, or the fear of it, certainly would explain why Trump is even more freaked out and deranged than usual at the moment. /speculation.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55587 on: July 15, 2019, 10:00:22 am »
I'm confused, unless I'm misreading the intent of this post it feels like you're allowed to criticize the Labour leadership but we can't criticize the Democratic leadership? Labour doing nothing about brexit is bad, Dems doing nothing about concentration camps is not bad?
I'm sure Alan is capable of defending himself: but it seems to me that he was just expressing an opinion. There was no hint of Alan disallowing criticism of Pelosi.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55588 on: July 15, 2019, 10:51:17 am »
I'm sure Alan is capable of defending himself: but it seems to me that he was just expressing an opinion. There was no hint of Alan disallowing criticism of Pelosi.

The (unfair) criticism of Pelosi stems from "she is not impeaching Trump, therefore she is part of the problem and enabling him".

I don't necessarily agree with Pelosi's stance but that argument is not in the least bit true either.  Impeachment itself is a divisive issue amongst Democrats at a time where unity is critical.  Politics is not black and white, and neither is impeachment.  Personally I think Trump should be challenged, but I can certainly understand why Pelosi is holding back.

If the Democrats somehow conspire to lose the next election then impeachment is definitely on the table, but even if they lose the presidency they'll almost certainly gain the senate; without McConnell to prop him up, Trump is politically dead.  It will be four years of paralysis for America as he will almost certainly fight the Dems on every single issue and veto everything in sight (art of the deal y'know) but a paralysed Trump/America is a big improvement on what we have now.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55589 on: July 15, 2019, 11:27:43 am »
The (unfair) criticism of Pelosi stems from "she is not impeaching Trump, therefore she is part of the problem and enabling him".

I don't necessarily agree with Pelosi's stance but that argument is not in the least bit true either.  Impeachment itself is a divisive issue amongst Democrats at a time where unity is critical.  Politics is not black and white, and neither is impeachment.  Personally I think Trump should be challenged, but I can certainly understand why Pelosi is holding back.

If the Democrats somehow conspire to lose the next election then impeachment is definitely on the table, but even if they lose the presidency they'll almost certainly gain the senate; without McConnell to prop him up, Trump is politically dead.  It will be four years of paralysis for America as he will almost certainly fight the Dems on every single issue and veto everything in sight (art of the deal y'know) but a paralysed Trump/America is a big improvement on what we have now.
I pretty-much agree will all of that. I too - I think - would prefer impeachment proceedings to be held, but I do accept that there are potential downsides too. I expect that Pelosi knows what she is doing, but at the same time, it doesn't feel right.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55590 on: July 15, 2019, 11:43:24 am »
I pretty-much agree will all of that. I too - I think - would prefer impeachment proceedings to be held, but I do accept that there are potential downsides too. I expect that Pelosi knows what she is doing, but at the same time, it doesn't feel right.

Of course it doesn't feel right, because in a moral and just world Trump would already be out of office.  But we've seen the lay of the land as far as the GOP are concerned. 

I reiterate the point I've made several times: I believe Trump (or his backers) is trying to bounce Pelosi into an impeachment trial everybody knows cannot be won to push his "victim" narrative.  On the flip side, Impeachment would send the right message to the likes of Bar et al who are routinely ignoring subpoenas, ie "we're not fucking around here, this is serious"; it would consolidate all the investigations underway and make non cooperation look very bad.

However, there's still the matter of public opinion, and they are generally not well informed on the procedure of impeachment, the requirements and why it might be necessary; and the "impeach him and people will just come around to it as they learn" is right up there with Everton's "build it and they will come".  There's just no guarantee and it was the same under Nixon.

The "anybody who is not on my side is my enemy" attitude being aimed at Pelosi's seeming in action is failing to take in the wider context.   Whether we like it or not, the moral outrage is taking a back seat to the political reality of dealing with a man who habitually breaks the rules and is used to getting away with it. 

From Pelosi's viewpoint, containing this shitstorm takes priority over fighting it.  You don't risk your firefighters' lives against a forest fire.  You control it, contain it, direct it and then put it out.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #55591 on: July 15, 2019, 12:42:30 pm »
Allowing Trump to fight 'the Establishment' in the form of an impeachment trial during his 2020 reelection year would be a huge gamble. My take is they want to defeat him at the ballot box, and if they don't then there's nothing to lose by attacking him more strongly at the start of his second term.

Whether it's the right move or not I don't know.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55592 on: July 15, 2019, 12:51:35 pm »
Amazing how he flip flops from 'America is a horrible swamp and only I can fix it' to 'this is the greatest country we don't need your criticisms'.

He does it all the time. It was a terrible economy and now it's the greatest.

But it's a powerful trick. People begin to repeat his words, even if they are being sarcastic. So you get more and more people talking about making America great, keeping America great etc. People like talking about positive things, but Trump has a habit of hijacking the ’good’ by constantly using words like the greatest, fantastic, incredible etc. If you say good, he says great. If you say the greatest, he'll say the greatest of all time. And he will link it all back to himself. And then he uses he worst, terrible, horrible and similar when he talks about people who are against him. We should all try and use our own words and not repeat what he has said when we describe things.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55593 on: July 15, 2019, 02:06:56 pm »

I think Nancy has more savvy than you give her credit for.
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55594 on: July 15, 2019, 02:08:30 pm »
CNN
Why Trump's racist dog whistle won't work this time (Opinion)
 By Frida Ghitis 
8 hrs ago

Donald Trump's grandfather, Friedrich Trump, was born in Kallstadt, Germany, and emigrated to the United States as a teenager. (According to one historian, he was thrown out of his country of birth for failing to perform mandatory military service.) Now Friedrich's grandson has become President of the United States, and is trying to fuel a re-election campaign by stoking nativist resentment.

On Sunday morning, Trump tweeted what you might call the unofficial launch of his 2020 dog-whistle re-election campaign.

It was so inflammatory that it burnt through the hesitations of cautious editors. CNN plainly, correctly, called it a "racist attack." The President sarcastically suggested that some of his non-white critics are not real Americans. He urged that "Progressive Democrat Congresswomen," the best-known of whom happen to be women of color, should go back to their countries. The "Congresswomen," he wrote, "who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world..." should leave.

He was most likely referring to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, born in New York; Rashida Tlaib, born in Michigan; Ayanna Presley, born in Massachusetts; and Ilhan Omar, a Somali-born naturalized American. They are all US citizens, like him, like his wife, his in-laws, and his ex-wives. They are Americans.

Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but I think Trump has Americans pegged wrong. This electoral strategy will backfire.

The America I have known is made up primarily of people who are intrigued and attracted to people of different backgrounds.

And although there has always been a segment that does not trust outsiders -- and bigots who consider non-whites inferior -- most Americans are not racists, not bigots, and not nativists. So why is Trump, the man who possesses a peculiar political instinct, betting his re-election on dividing Americans and turning them against their better instincts?

He thinks it worked the first time. But this is not 2016. In 2016, the entire world was terrified by ISIS terrorists beheading hostages and blowing up nightclubs. The Great Recession was recent enough that people still feared the recovery might unwind, making it easier for many people to believe that immigrants were taking away their jobs. He could frighten people by talking about rapists at the border, promising better health care, and an administration of "only the best people." Back then, we didn't know quite how much Trump lied, and how many of his promises he would be unable to keep.

It's different now. Trump's dog-whistle, formerly perceived mainly by extremists, is now a trumpet we can all hear.

Sure, his racism, his cruelty against migrants and his family separation policy will still play well with a segment of the electorate. But today, Americans see Trump for what he is. They see his campaign and what he is trying to do. When he tweets about corrupt, inept governments, we think about Donald Trump. When he tells the descendants of immigrants that they should leave, we think perhaps Friedrich Trump's grandson is the one who doesn't belong here.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/why-trumps-racist-dog-whistle-wont-work-this-time-opinion/ar-AAEjRrD?ocid=spartandhp
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55595 on: July 15, 2019, 02:11:07 pm »
The Daily Beast
Trump Is a Racist. If You Still Support Him, So Are You.
 By Goldie Taylor 
8 hrs ago

The president is a racist, in his words and his actions.

Before you go clutching your pearls and extolling the virtues of “civility,” let me say this: put a sock in it.

This is not a new revelation, nor is it something that we can continue to ignore as though it were coming from a drunk uncle at the family barbeque. Bigotry is dangerous and, in the hands of our nation’s commander-in-chief, it can mean an inability to recognize individual humanity and a failure to act with moral authority in times of crisis. Every person talking about his clothes as he cheerfully bares his ass  is part of the problem.

Sunday, he claimed that newly elected progressive Democrats “originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe” and “the worst, more corrupt and inept anywhere in the world.” And he told freshmen Reps. Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ilhan Omar—outspoken Democratic women of color who have challenged the administration’s inhumane immigration policies— to leavethe country.

Three of the four were born here in the United States. All are American citizens, and duly elected members of Congress.

Trump’s repugnant rebuke of American values did not come out of thin air.  It unfolded days after “The Squad” travelled with a delegation of congressional democrats to tour detention facilities in border states. What they found was deplorable. Reports of rampant abuse and neglect filled the airwaves, leading Trump to again dismiss accurate coverage as “fake news.” Rather than focus on improving basic conditions and getting to work on bi-partisan, comprehensive reforms, the president basically said if immigants didn’t like how they were being treated, they should stay in their own country.

This morning, he turned his ire on some of his most vocal critics in Congress—all of whom have previously called for his impeachment.

“Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came,” Trump tweeted about the four congresswomen today. “Then come back and show us how it is done.”

“These places need your help badly,” he went on, “you can’t leave fast enough.”

While Republicans predictably remained tight-lipped and oblivious, Democrats reacted swiftly.

“Mr. President, the country I ‘come from,’ and the country we all swear to, is the United States,” Rep. Ocasio-Cortez responded. “You are angry because you can’t conceive of an America that includes us. You rely on a frightened America for your plunder.”

“When @realDonaldTrump tells four American Congresswomen to go back to their countries, he reaffirms his plan to ‘Make America Great Again’ has always been about making America white again,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a tweet. “Our diversity is our strength and our unity is our power.”

This isn’t simply disgusting and divisive rhetoric. Whether it is the abhorrent, inhumane treatment of immigrants detained in government-sponsored concentration camps or the slow, piecemeal aid sent to Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria, for some, his policies have been deadly.

Certainly, this is not  the first time Trump has shamelessly revealed himself in public. His “Make America Great Again” campaign was always about catering to our lowest common denominator-- a hateful sector of the electorate that believes themselves culturally superior by skin color and religion.

For years, even before mounting a formal bid for the presidency, Trump regaled television news audiences with racist conspiracy theories about former president Barack Obama. He pledged to send investigators out to prove the nation’s 44thpresident was not born in the United States. He later derided immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador and African countries, calling those foreign nations “shit hole countries.” He once said immigrants from Haiti all “have AIDS” and that Nigerian immigrants would never “go back to their huts.”

In Trump’s mind, a judge’s Mexican heritage made him incapable of ruling fairly in a civil fraud case against one of his companies and he believes “laziness is a trait in blacks.” Trump, whose real estate company was sued for housing discrimination in the 1970s, went on the place a full-page ad in the New York Times calling for the execution of five innocent black teenagers. Even after the Central Park 5 was exonerated, he refused to take it back. After Heather Heyer was murdered in Charlotteville, Virginia amid a white supremacist protest, he lamented the there were “some very fine people” on “both sides.”

Trump is not a fine person.  His words Sunday were not racially “charged,” “fueled,” or “tinged.” They were unapologetically racist.

And, if you support him, so are you.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/trump-is-a-racist-if-you-still-support-him-so-are-you/ar-AAEjTmq?ocid=spartandhp
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55596 on: July 15, 2019, 02:15:54 pm »
Democratic leadership? Labour doing nothing about brexit is bad, Dems doing nothing about concentration camps is not bad?

Concentration camps slaved and starved "undesirables" to death or sent them straight to the ovens.
Kill the humourless

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55597 on: July 15, 2019, 02:41:44 pm »
Concentration camps slaved and starved "undesirables" to death or sent them straight to the ovens.

They're death camps,concentration camps are different.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55598 on: July 15, 2019, 02:58:14 pm »
POLITICO
Republicans ready to dive off a cliff on Obamacare
 By Burgess Everett 
16 hrs ago

Republicans have no real plan to establish a new health care system if the courts strike down the Affordable Care Act before the 2020 election. But plenty of them are rooting for its demise anyway — even if it means plunging the GOP into a debate that splits the party and leaves them politically vulnerable.

After a decade of trying to gut Obamacare, Republicans may finally get their wish thanks to a Trump administration-backed lawsuit. Its success would cause chaos not only in the insurance markets but on Capitol Hill. And Republican senators largely welcome it — even if they don’t know what comes next.

“I’m ready for it to succeed,” said Sen. Mike Rounds (R-S.D.). “I would love to get back in and actually deal with health care again.”

“Do I hope the lawsuit succeeds? I do,” said Sen. Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.). “What I wish is we had some idea where we are going if it does succeed, as it looks more and more like it might.”

Even Republicans not known for taking a hard line are eager for a forcing mechanism to take on Obamacare.

“I have a plan that I would be delighted to have Congress pick up and go forward with,” added Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) of a proposal to protect pieces of the law. “Necessity is the mother of acceptance. I hope that we reach that necessity and that would propel my proposal to see a good deal of support.”

Both Cramer and Romney said GOP discussions were picking up about how to step in if the law falls after a U.S. appeals court indicated last week it could kill all or part of the law, though the Supreme Court would have the final say. Democrats and Republicans are also working on a modest package of bills intended to lower health care costs.

But when it comes to major changes to Obamacare, the parties aren’t talking.

Democratic leaders have no intention of working with the GOP since they want the Affordable Care Act to survive. And there’s no reason to think that Senate Republicans could unify on a replacement to the law after previously failing to do so.

“If it did succeed, I would be very concerned,” said Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) of the lawsuit. “I don’t think there’s a plan in place to take care of individuals who’ve been using the exchanges to purchase their insurance or who have been covered under the Medicaid expansion. I’m just hoping the court doesn’t strike it down.”

Democrats are ready to hammer Republicans if the law gets taken down because of the GOP lawsuit. Democrats took back the House last year in large part because of their focus on health care.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) called the GOP’s stance “repeal without a replace.”

“Every plan Republicans have put forward has failed to maintain the protections offered under the current law,” he said. “It's pretty simple: If you care about maintaining protections for people with preexisting conditions, you don’t demand they be taken away.”

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), a close Schumer ally, added, “They better do something. If not, this is all on them. This is all on Mitch McConnell."

Republicans may be wagering that Democrats would jump into negotiations to protect popular provisions in Obamacare and somehow forge a new compromise health care law — all in the heat of the presidential campaign. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has said Congress would act immediately on pre-existing conditions if the courts strike down that part of the law.

But it’s also possible that the law would simply collapse and Congress play a blame game for months as millions of Americans struggle to deal with the fallout. Republican efforts to create a new law fell short in 2017, and Democrats are not exactly unified on whether to protect Obamacare or embrace a larger role for government like with “Medicare for All.”

It’s difficult, if not impossible, to see how the parties would compromise a year from now. McConnell quickly shied away from President Donald Trump’s talk of restarting efforts to replace the law earlier this year, and in May said, “It’s not possible” to reconcile the GOP’s priorities with Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s on a major replacement bill.

In interviews, several Senate Republicans insisted that Congress could get its act together. But veterans of the health care wars are not so sure.

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), who killed the GOP’s repeal push with Collins and the late Sen. John McCain, observed dryly of the efforts to replace Obamacare: “You know how much I loved that fight.”

Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.), who voted with her party in 2017 on the so-called “skinny repeal”, signaled she was also eager to avoid another wide-ranging health care debate.

“I can’t say that I hope it succeeds,” she said of the lawsuit. “I think the strategy from here on that I’ve adopted in my own mind is repair. Repair what we’ve got.” She then pivoted into a GOP line that will be heard for months: “You know, you see the Democrat presidential candidates. They want to scrap it, their own creation.”

The Democratic focus on moving beyond Obamacare — either through Medicare for All or through proposals to let people buy into Medicare — could further complicate any effort by Congress to react to a potential Supreme Court ruling that strikes down Obamacare, a decision that may occur next year if the appeals court shoots down the law in the coming months.

The lawsuit backed by GOP attorneys general, the Trump administration and many GOP lawmakers argues that the Affordable Care Act should collapse now that Congress has zeroed out its individual mandate in a Republican tax law. A previous Supreme Court ruling had used the mandate as reason to uphold the law.

Collins said she viewed the case as clear-cut: Congress’ failure to repeal the entire law in either a standalone bill or the tax law is evidence that lawmakers were focused only on the mandate in the tax bill.

But plenty of her colleagues hope she’s wrong.

For Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), the collapse of Obamacare in the courts “would be a relief.”

“I would anticipate that the court would give a certain level of time for Congress to get its act together in a way that actually works,” Johnson said. “We’re not going to turn the switch on right away, but doesn’t hurt to have a deadline.”

Yet Republicans also admit the lawsuit has the potential to be politically damaging, not just to Trump but to their Senate majority.

Republicans are fighting a pitched battle to defend their 53-47 majority, and polls show Democrats have the high ground on health care amid GOP efforts to dismantle the Affordable Care Act.

“I only fear the political consequences of” false Democratic attacks, said Sen. Mike Braun (R-Ind.), who backs efforts to protect pre-existing conditions.

He said he worried Democrats might not join efforts to prop up those protections “for some technicality just so they can keep coming at us for the lawsuit.” But Republicans conceded that if they don’t begin preparing for the potential maelstrom their party has created, it will be their own fault.

“That people are concerned about losing the Affordable Care Act is testament to the fact that the United States Congress hasn’t done its job,” said Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.), who is “ready” for the lawsuit to succeed. Obamacare has “not made their lives better, but yet people worry that as bad as it is, if we don’t have it, we have nothing.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/republicans-ready-to-dive-off-a-cliff-on-obamacare/ar-AAEj9o3
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55599 on: July 15, 2019, 03:00:34 pm »
Washington Examiner
British ambassador who resigned called Christopher Steele “absolutely” legit, leaked cables show
 Jerry Dunleavy 
13 hrs ago

The former British ambassador to the United States, who turned in his resignation last week following the release of private communications harshly critical of President Trump, said he believed that dossier author and ex-British spy Christopher Steele was “absolutely” credible, according to the leaked cables.

Sir Kim Darroch, the long-time senior British diplomat who had served as their representative in Washington, D.C., since January 2016, “is said to have vouched for the credibility of Christopher Steele, the author of an explosive dossier of claims about Donald Trump’s ties to Russia, in conversation with at least one US official” according to a new article by the Sunday Telegraph, which has reviewed the documents.

The British newspaper reported: “Asked whether Mr. Steele, a former MI6 officer, was ‘legit’, Sir Kim replied: ‘Absolutely.’”

The leaked cables from Darroch covered a broad range of topics beyond just Steele, but it was his critiques of Trump that garnered the most attention and cost him his job. “We don't really believe this administration is going to become substantially more normal; less dysfunctional; less unpredictable; less faction riven; less diplomatically clumsy and inept,” Darroch wrote.

The new piece from the Sunday Times on Steele backs up previous reporting on Darroch. An article by the New Yorker in 2018 claimed that “as word of the dossier began to spread through Washington” back in 2016, “a former State Department official recalls a social gathering where he danced around the subject with the British Ambassador, Sir Kim Darroch … After exchanging cryptic hints, to make sure that they were both in the know, he asked the Ambassador, ‘Is this guy Steele legit?’ The Ambassador replied, ‘Absolutely.’”

Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz and his team have been looking into whether the FBI and the Justice Department abused the FISA process when they filed four applications and renewals beginning in October 2016 to surveil Trump campaign adviser Carter Page. The applications relied heavily on the unverified dossier compiled by Steele, who was hired by the opposition research firm Fusion GPS, which itself was hired by Marc Elias of the Perkins Coie law firm at the behest of the Clinton presidential campaign.

A letter from Horowitz to Congress last month revealed the Justice Department watchdog has “received and reviewed over one million records” and has “conducted over 100 interviews, including current and former Justice Department and FBI personnel” during its inquiry into alleged abuse of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

One of the interviews that Horowitz’s team conducted was of Steele himself, whom investigators interviewed in London for hours last month and whose new information may have extended the Justice Department inspectors general inquiry even further. Attorney General William Barr had originally predicted that Horowitz would be finished in May or June.

Horowitz had reportedly been homing in on Steele for many months.

Republicans in Congress have long cast doubt on the credibility of Steele’s dossier, but they are not the only ones. Watergate journalist Bob Woodward has been calling it “garbage” for more than two years, and former CIA Moscow station chief Daniel Hoffman told the Washington Examiner that “I called what b******t the dossier was a year-and-a-half ago … It’s likely FSB [the successor agency to the KGB] disinformation.”

Special counsel Robert Mueller’s team reportedly met with Steele twice in September 2017, and Steele also provided a written statement to the Senate Intelligence Committee in August 2018. A number of Steele’s biggest claims, including the allegation stemming from “Kremlin insiders” that former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen had met in Prague with Putin associates and foreign hackers, were knocked down in Mueller's report.

Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, the Republican chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, on Sunday promised his own “deep dive” investigation into the origins of the Trump-Russia investigation. And Trump has empowered Barr with “broad declassification authority” to get to the bottom of some of these questions too, with Barr in turn selecting U.S. Attorney John Durham as his right-hand man in the effort.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/british-ambassador-who-resigned-called-christopher-steele-“absolutely”-legit-leaked-cables-show/ar-AAEk3Yj
Kill the humourless