Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12264193 times)

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #99040 on: February 17, 2019, 01:17:02 pm »

Foden stepped up with two goals yesterday (one of them not involving awful goalkeeping), on an awful pitch against pro opposition in the game of their lives. I agree that he may well not be a world class talent, but the signs are good for him becoming a regular player for a top team.

Players like Henderson and Milner show that you can reach the very top level with hard work, without necessarily having magic wands for feet, but they were both playing regular senior football by the time they were Foden's age. My argument is that, although world class talents will find their way into first teams because they're that good, talents a level below may slip through the net or fail to reach their potential because they spent crucial development years (18-22) when they should be making the final steps, sitting on the bench and/or playing U23 footy.

I think the Chelsea and Man City stockpiling is at a level above ours though.
Not sure why you think Foden is not a world class talent? He was the star of the u17 team that won the world cup ahead of Sancho, Brewster and Odi. He was their best player and he even got the Golden Shoe Award as best player in the competition. He is 18 and getting games for Manchester City who probably have the best midfield in the world squad wise.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #99041 on: February 17, 2019, 04:01:04 pm »
Not sure why you think Foden is not a world class talent? He was the star of the u17 team that won the world cup ahead of Sancho, Brewster and Odi. He was their best player and he even got the Golden Shoe Award as best player in the competition. He is 18 and getting games for Manchester City who probably have the best midfield in the world squad wise.

He might have been the best of those playing against their own age group but that doesn't always translate to playing against men.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #99042 on: February 17, 2019, 04:51:18 pm »

Golden Boot was won by Brewster. Foden won the Golden Ball.

He is a good player but that team had stars all over the show- Sancho (briefly); Odoi, Brewster, Gibbs-White, Tomori, etc. I will be very surprised if Foden becomes world class- unless we downgrade the true meaning of the term, football-wise.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99043 on: February 17, 2019, 05:39:53 pm »
He might have been the best of those playing against their own age group but that doesn't always translate to playing against men.
No it doesn't but he is playing against men for man city and impressing. 9 appearences in cup competitions this year and 5 goals from midfield is good even though the opposition wasn't the best.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #99044 on: February 17, 2019, 05:44:48 pm »
No it doesn't but he is playing against men for man city and impressing. 9 appearences in cup competitions this year and 5 goals from midfield is good even though the opposition wasn't the best.

Has to do it against the best, to be considered "world class"
Better looking than Samie.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99045 on: February 17, 2019, 06:46:54 pm »
Has to do it against the best, to be considered "world class"
Obviously mate. But he's what 18. I am saying he has potential to be world class not that he is world class.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99046 on: February 17, 2019, 06:53:38 pm »
Two Liverpool youngster in England's u16 team today. It looks like Norris captained the team and Quansah started also and scored. Team sheet I found online.

Offline kratos

• Kopite
« Reply #99047 on: February 17, 2019, 09:36:08 pm »
Any ideas who may be playing in the u23 match against West Ham tomorrow?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99048 on: February 18, 2019, 05:57:49 am »
Obviously mate. But he's what 18. I am saying he has potential to be world class not that he is world class.

What qualities make you think that, out of interest? He looks a very good player to me, but I'm not sure he dominates enough to be "world class".

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99049 on: February 18, 2019, 08:19:44 am »
Any ideas who may be playing in the u23 match against West Ham tomorrow?

Randall for one.  He wasn't with the first team squad that went warm weather training last week and he's been moved off the first team squad list and back into the academy on the LFC site.    Think his contract is up at the end of the season.  Shame he didn't get another loan with a view to a permanent move.   

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99050 on: February 18, 2019, 10:57:12 am »
Foden stepped up with two goals yesterday (one of them not involving awful goalkeeping), on an awful pitch against pro opposition in the game of their lives. I agree that he may well not be a world class talent, but the signs are good for him becoming a regular player for a top team.
We're not really saying anything different. You reckon he has potential to be world class, I say he may well not be world class. Neither of us are saying he definitely is or isn't.

But let's have a look at previous FIFA U17 Golden Ball winners:

2015 Kelechi Nwakali - Never heard of him. Still early days, but it's not looking great at this stage.
2013 Kelechi Iheanacho - Not world class.
2011 Julio Gómez - Not world class.
2009 Sani Emmanuel - Not playing football anymore, made 16 senior appearances.
2007 Toni Kroos - Arguably world class, depending on how you define that and what you think of him as a player. 1/5 so far...
2005 Anderson - Not world class.
2003 Fabregas - Same as Kroos. 2/7...
2001 Sinama-Pongolle - Not world class.
1999 Landon Donovan - Not world class.
1997 Sergio Santimaria - Not world class.

Going further back to the start of the competition, the extra names on the list are Mohamed Kathiri, Daniel Addo, Nii Lamptey, James Will, Philip Osundu and William. I've never heard of any of them.

So that's 2 players in 16 years who are at or above the level many seem to think Phil Foden is destined for.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99051 on: February 18, 2019, 02:04:29 pm »
I think what that list might say is that you can't put players into "potentially world class" or "no chance of world class" categories at such a young age.  There are so many variables that, unless you are a generational talent (ie; the real ronaldo, Messi, etc), it's almost impossible to declare how good a player will end up being. 

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99052 on: February 18, 2019, 02:36:52 pm »
I think what that list might say is that you can't put players into "potentially world class" or "no chance of world class" categories at such a young age.  There are so many variables that, unless you are a generational talent (ie; the real ronaldo, Messi, etc), it's almost impossible to declare how good a player will end up being. [/b ]

Exactly.

However, it's way easier to declare how good a player WON'T be.

Offline KingKolo

• usernamechangefullcirclejerk
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99053 on: February 18, 2019, 02:36:53 pm »
I think what that list might say is that you can't put players into "potentially world class" or "no chance of world class" categories at such a young age.  There are so many variables that, unless you are a generational talent (ie; the real ronaldo, Messi, etc), it's almost impossible to declare how good a player will end up being. 
Yeah for sure.

There are so many different factors which can have an impact.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99054 on: February 18, 2019, 02:50:39 pm »
Would say Foden Hudson Odoi and Sancho are all potentially world class, some of the best talents in Europe let alone England, for comparison I don’t think we have a single talent in their age groups at that level, maybe Jones and Brewster at a stretch, but these guys are elite.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99055 on: February 18, 2019, 03:49:24 pm »
Would say Foden Hudson Odoi and Sancho are all potentially world class, some of the best talents in Europe let alone England, for comparison I don’t think we have a single talent in their age groups at that level, maybe Jones and Brewster at a stretch, but these guys are elite.

I think people's definitions of "world class" is where debates start about this topic.

Also an incomplete ability to assess a player according to what is needed in the professional game.

There are four (or five for some people) areas that players are to be assessed by - Technical, Tactical, Physical, Psychological (or psycho-social, depending on your ideal).

When you assess from those four criteria, you can start to see why the truly "world class" players are "world class". They score highly in all four pillars. Not just highly, but very highly, almost near-perfect in every one.

For me, Foden maybe lacks in the physical department to be truly world class as a midfielder. If he develops his strength, that might change things. But we haven't got enough minutes to judge him on at this level for the other parts, so it's too early to say. But I don't think he has ALL the attributes to be world class. But then again, my interpretation of "class" is quite strict ;D

World Class - would start every game in every team on the planet
Top class - would start every game for most teams, but would be in and out of the first team for the absolute best teams in the world
Good - what it says on the tin. Capable of standing out in certain teams, but wouldn't get on the bench for the absolute top teams
Average - lower league players, generally get by on being physical and abundant in one specific skill of the game (heading, crossing, shooting, dribbling, etc)
Bad - players who, more often than not, reached the professional level due to an abundance of athleticism and not much else. Severely lacking in tactics and technique, and also psychology
Paul Konchesky - players who won a raffle to play pro football (e.g., Paul Konchesky)

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99056 on: February 18, 2019, 04:16:04 pm »
I think people's definitions of "world class" is where debates start about this topic.

Also an incomplete ability to assess a player according to what is needed in the professional game.

There are four (or five for some people) areas that players are to be assessed by - Technical, Tactical, Physical, Psychological (or psycho-social, depending on your ideal).

When you assess from those four criteria, you can start to see why the truly "world class" players are "world class". They score highly in all four pillars. Not just highly, but very highly, almost near-perfect in every one.

For me, Foden maybe lacks in the physical department to be truly world class as a midfielder. If he develops his strength, that might change things. But we haven't got enough minutes to judge him on at this level for the other parts, so it's too early to say. But I don't think he has ALL the attributes to be world class. But then again, my interpretation of "class" is quite strict ;D

Top class - would start every game for most teams, but would be in and out of the first team for the absolute best teams in the world
Good - what it says on the tin. Capable of standing out in certain teams, but wouldn't get on the bench for the absolute top teams
Average - lower league players, generally get by on being physical and abundant in one specific skill of the game (heading, crossing, shooting, dribbling, etc)
Bad - players who, more often than not, reached the professional level due to an abundance of athleticism and not much else. Severely lacking in tactics and technique, and also psychology
Paul Konchesky - players who won a raffle to play pro football (e.g., Paul Konchesky)

Yeah I agree mostly, out of the three if I was to bet on who would be absolutely world class Foden would be the last of the three I mentioned for that exact same reason he might lack a bit of athleticism, saying that it’s not out of the realm he develops into a world class midfielder at a later stage of his career, like David Silva has, De Bruyne has and Bernardo Silva is starting to as well, he has everything else going for him.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99057 on: February 18, 2019, 04:50:17 pm »

Trent and Joe Gomez.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #99058 on: February 18, 2019, 05:03:56 pm »
Trent and Joe Gomez.
Are 2 and 3 years older than the three mentioned.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #99059 on: February 18, 2019, 06:59:32 pm »
Hammers v Liverpool U23's live now on LFCTV
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #99060 on: February 18, 2019, 08:38:42 pm »
Glatzel scores
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99061 on: February 18, 2019, 08:46:00 pm »

I always wondered about these kinds of things. There was a point people seemed insistent that physicality was an absolute must in the game and yet you had players like Xavi and Iniesta at the very top of the game at club AND international level, without great strength or speed. Now there is absolutely zero question the two of them were world class, so do they score highly in he physical pillar or were they not world class? Physchologically Higuain if most are to be believed is lacking and has been for some time but he's up there with some of the best goalscorers in the last 5-10 years in terms of numbers so has he EVER been world class?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99062 on: February 18, 2019, 09:03:26 pm »
I always wondered about these kinds of things. There was a point people seemed insistent that physicality was an absolute must in the game and yet you had players like Xavi and Iniesta at the very top of the game at club AND international level, without great strength or speed. Now there is absolutely zero question the two of them were world class, so do they score highly in he physical pillar or were they not world class? Physchologically Higuain if most are to be believed is lacking and has been for some time but he's up there with some of the best goalscorers in the last 5-10 years in terms of numbers so has he EVER been world class?

I wouldn't say Xavi and Iniesta weren't strong. They didn't overly use their strength, but they weren't ever really knocked off the ball, were they? And Iniesta was definitely quick. Again, it comes down to people's definitions - when we say "speed", a lot of people think of speed over 50-100 yards, but football speed, as you know, is about the 5-15 yard range, with turning speed a huge part of it too. It's not "physicality", it's the "physical" part of the game - speed, strength, agility, quickness, flexibility, stamina, power.

The "psychological" part is not really about "bottle", either - it's more about how players manage their own performance, how they approach their preparation, how seriously they take it, how much they manager their outside lives so that they don't impact their game performance negatively.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99063 on: February 18, 2019, 09:18:01 pm »
I wouldn't say Xavi and Iniesta weren't strong. They didn't overly use their strength, but they weren't ever really knocked off the ball, were they? And Iniesta was definitely quick. Again, it comes down to people's definitions - when we say "speed", a lot of people think of speed over 50-100 yards, but football speed, as you know, is about the 5-15 yard range, with turning speed a huge part of it too. It's not "physicality", it's the "physical" part of the game - speed, strength, agility, quickness, flexibility, stamina, power.

The "psychological" part is not really about "bottle", either - it's more about how players manage their own performance, how they approach their preparation, how seriously they take it, how much they manager their outside lives so that they don't impact their game performance negatively.

But going by that surely most players are 'strong' otherwise they wouldn't make it to professional level at all. I mean how many players do we see who are constantly eased off the ball because they're weak? I don't know about anyone else but I can't name a single player who is often knocked off the ball so much so that you notice it a lot. Even the 'slight' players the premier league commentators try to question because englands oh so big and brutish for foreign players :lmao

I'd argue Foden is quick over that range personally and he's not really one to be eased off the ball, especially when you consider the kids speed of thought which puts him in dangerous positions throughout games which for me is far more important than physical strength. I can only speak for what i've seen of him but looking at Foden he looks small and slight but watching him play, he has all the attributes needed to play like a D.Silva type

The psychological part I just don't see how most of that can be judged as the vast majority of it we aren't really privvy to and it isn't really brought to light often for most players.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99064 on: February 18, 2019, 09:32:00 pm »
But going by that surely most players are 'strong' otherwise they wouldn't make it to professional level at all. I mean how many players do we see who are constantly eased off the ball because they're weak? I don't know about anyone else but I can't name a single player who is often knocked off the ball so much so that you notice it a lot. Even the 'slight' players the premier league commentators try to question because englands oh so big and brutish for foreign players :lmao

I'd argue Foden is quick over that range personally and he's not really one to be eased off the ball, especially when you consider the kids speed of thought which puts him in dangerous positions throughout games which for me is far more important than physical strength. I can only speak for what i've seen of him but looking at Foden he looks small and slight but watching him play, he has all the attributes needed to play like a D.Silva type

The psychological part I just don't see how most of that can be judged as the vast majority of it we aren't really privvy to and it isn't really brought to light often for most players.

Well we always hear and read things about training and off-field stuff. For example, Balotelli, with all of his physical and technical attributes, was clearly more concerned with buying trampolines and hanging with his crew, than preparing properly for each game.

James Milner, by contrast, has less technical qualities than Balotelli, but prepares himself like a monk.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99065 on: February 18, 2019, 11:18:05 pm »

I'm pretty sure that information is available to coaches, players/coaches who have worked with potential signings will give other people the low down. Not hard to gather that info if you are in the industry Im sure.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99066 on: February 18, 2019, 11:28:58 pm »
I'm pretty sure that information is available to coaches, players/coaches who have worked with potential signings will give other people the low down. Not hard to gather that info if you are in the industry Im sure.

I'm talking more fans who discuss the whole 'world class' thing

There are loads of examples of players who that info is broadcast about, but I feel there are just as many you don't really hear about

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99067 on: February 19, 2019, 12:43:37 am »
I'm talking more fans who discuss the whole 'world class' thing

There are loads of examples of players who that info is broadcast about, but I feel there are just as many you don't really hear about

Ahhh ok my mistake, tbf to POP he did say his definition was quite strict.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99068 on: February 19, 2019, 04:18:05 pm »
Adam Lewis has signed a new long-term contract with Liverpool Football Club.

The 19-year-old has been a regular member of Neil Critchley’s U23 side this season and has recently returned from the first-team training camp in Marbella.

The Liverpool-born player has been with the Reds since U6 level. He has played both at left-back and in midfield this season, a mark of his versatility.

He has also spent time at Melwood training with Jürgen Klopp’s first-team squad.

Lewis played for England U19s in the European Championship finals last summer and went on to make his debut for the U20s in September.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99069 on: February 19, 2019, 05:09:17 pm »
Adam Lewis has signed a new long-term contract with Liverpool Football Club.

The 19-year-old has been a regular member of Neil Critchley’s U23 side this season and has recently returned from the first-team training camp in Marbella.

The Liverpool-born player has been with the Reds since U6 level. He has played both at left-back and in midfield this season, a mark of his versatility.

He has also spent time at Melwood training with Jürgen Klopp’s first-team squad.

Lewis played for England U19s in the European Championship finals last summer and went on to make his debut for the U20s in September.

Good news. Will be behind Robbo next season.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #99070 on: February 19, 2019, 05:19:52 pm »

When people think physical - they think top speed, strength, build, size etc

But agility, balance and acceleration are arguably the three most important things in football, physically speaking. They are the three things Messi has in absolute abundance.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99071 on: February 19, 2019, 05:47:40 pm »

But agility, balance and acceleration are arguably the three most important things in football, physically speaking. They are the three things Messi has in absolute abundance.

Or as the coaching courses put it - ABC'S: Agility, Balance, Coordination, Speed (which has its own subdivisions)

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99072 on: February 19, 2019, 07:03:37 pm »
Good news. Will be behind Robbo next season.
He's not even training full time at Melwood is he? Might be a bit of a stretch to have him as the second choice left back of that is the case as you would imagine if this was realistic he would be there all season like Jones Kellliher and Brewster.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99073 on: February 19, 2019, 07:06:38 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly which is precisely why I think players like Foden won't struggle with that, he's small and slight but he has good balance, acceleration and agility from what i've seen of him. I couldn't personally see him struggling with the physical side of the game

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99074 on: February 19, 2019, 07:09:35 pm »

We're not really saying anything different. You reckon he has potential to be world class, I say he may well not be world class. Neither of us are saying he definitely is or isn't.

But let's have a look at previous FIFA U17 Golden Ball winners:

2015 Kelechi Nwakali - Never heard of him. Still early days, but it's not looking great at this stage.
2013 Kelechi Iheanacho - Not world class.
2011 Julio Gómez - Not world class.
2009 Sani Emmanuel - Not playing football anymore, made 16 senior appearances.
2007 Toni Kroos - Arguably world class, depending on how you define that and what you think of him as a player. 1/5 so far...
2005 Anderson - Not world class.
2003 Fabregas - Same as Kroos. 2/7...
2001 Sinama-Pongolle - Not world class.
1999 Landon Donovan - Not world class.
1997 Sergio Santimaria - Not world class.

Going further back to the start of the competition, the extra names on the list are Mohamed Kathiri, Daniel Addo, Nii Lamptey, James Will, Philip Osundu and William. I've never heard of any of them.

So that's 2 players in 16 years who are at or above the level many seem to think Phil Foden is destined for.
Well that's my theory about him being the best of his age group meaning he has a huge chance of going all the way blown to pieces. I haven't even heard of 3 of the last 4!!!

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #99075 on: February 19, 2019, 07:09:55 pm »
I'm really pleased for Adam he's having a really good season, he is well thought of as well.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99076 on: February 19, 2019, 07:12:10 pm »
He's not even training full time at Melwood is he? Might be a bit of a stretch to have him as the second choice left back of that is the case as you would imagine if this was realistic he would be there all season like Jones Kellliher and Brewster.

Agreed.  Think it would be a huge leap to be the first choice if Robertson got injured and fans would quickly be on his back and demanding better\more experience if he dared make errors against top prem opposition and, say, we started losing points.  I think he would need a loan next season.  I think he’s got a great left foot, lots of heart and effort but has been caught out defensively a few times in the U23s, and for England, when playing LB

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #99077 on: February 20, 2019, 07:52:01 am »
It's probably too early for Adam Lewis to backup Robbo next season but anyway it's great news that he signed a new contract, his time will come and he'll probably get an opportunity to during the pre-season. Very interesting player for the future.

Spekaing of interesting players, nice to see Glatzel play and score for the U23's, he's had a great season so far and while Bobby Duncan probably gets more headlines Glatzel is the better prospect for me. Plays a well-rounded game, very intelligent with a great first-touch.

Another interesting player is of course Hoever, but I've noticed he hasn't played since his red card a couple of weeks ago, right? Has he been injured or "just" training with the first-team? I'm not really a fan of us not letting players play games due to making up numbers in the first-team training sessions. Phillips, Hoever, Woodburn, Kelleher, Camacho, Whelan was all in Marbella with the first-team and none played for the U23's a couple of days ago, and I doubt any was in contention to play vs. Bayern.

Allan has been loaned to Fluminense apparently - https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/338139-allan-liverpool-fluminense-loan

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99078 on: February 20, 2019, 06:23:52 pm »
Paul Glatzel has signed his first professional contract with Liverpool Football Club.

The striker, captain of Barry Lewtas’ U18 side this season, has penned the deal with the Reds in the week he celebrates his 18th birthday.

Glatzel joined the club as an U9 player and has progressed through the ranks at the Academy, scoring his first goal for the U23s - and 23rd overall this season - in Monday night’s win over West Ham United.

He has also featured for the Reds’ UEFA Youth League team, who will discover their next opponents in the competition when the last-16 draw takes place on Friday.

Born in Liverpool to German parents, Glatzel has dual nationality and has represented both Germany and England at youth level.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99079 on: February 20, 2019, 07:37:47 pm »

Another interesting player is of course Hoever, but I've noticed he hasn't played since his red card a couple of weeks ago, right? Has he been injured or "just" training with the first-team? I'm not really a fan of us not letting players play games due to making up numbers in the first-team training sessions. Phillips, Hoever, Woodburn, Kelleher, Camacho, Whelan was all in Marbella with the first-team and none played for the U23's a couple of days ago, and I doubt any was in contention to play vs. Bayern.
I think Hoever has genuinely been kept with the firsts in case of further injuries an injury to Matip or Fab, especially when Virgil was banned.   Nat Phillips is not fit yet (he’s only in partial training with the squad I think) and Whelan probably has’t spend much time training with the firsts.   Probably don’t want to risk him playing in the U23s until either Lovren or Gomez is back, whichever is first.