Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1367629 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #4440 on: November 4, 2019, 11:52:21 am »
He's been one of the best rightbacks in world football. The way we play requires the likes of Trent and Roberston. Why the hell would we put him in midfield  ;D

because. Just because. :D

He isn't getting moved from RB imo as long as Klopp is manager, and this will continue to be one of those annoying debates ala ''Henderson shouldn't be captain''

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4441 on: November 4, 2019, 11:53:22 am »
One of, if not his biggest strength is his crossing though. Some of those whips from deep are unlike anything I've seen. Would we not be losing that by putting him centre mid?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #4442 on: November 4, 2019, 11:54:26 am »
One of, if not his biggest strength is his crossing though. Some of those whips from deep are unlike anything I've seen. Would we not be losing that by putting him centre mid?
Is Kdb making his crosses from FB position?

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4443 on: November 4, 2019, 11:58:17 am »
No idea, I don't watch City
« Last Edit: November 4, 2019, 12:01:40 pm by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #4444 on: November 4, 2019, 12:00:45 pm »
This is a chicken and egg thing though. Do we require discipline from our midfield and attacking creativity from our FBs from our fullbacks because that's the system or because that's who we have available? Klopp hasn't always played like this and in the past he's utilised more offensive 8s to progress the ball. At the moment, both given our FB's excellence and given the issues we have with Keita (injured lots), Lallana (legs going) and AOC (on the way back from a career threatening injury) we're playing this way. But could Arnold do more damage as an 8 in a slightly tweaked setup than as a FB in our current setup? Depending on how good he is offensively, the answer to that question might be yes. If it's already happening at the moment, as pop, says, then there'd be potential benefit to formalising it because the load on trent goes down. Having a higher average position than Henderson AND needing to play as a FB in defence? No wonder he gets picked up on defensive things occasionally by pundits. Again, not making this a hill to die on, just think the speculation is interesting. If he stays at FB then we'll have the best FB in the world for the next decade. We lose very little if anything.

I don't see how you can definitively say that, unless you expect the rightback to do his defensive job while covering the midfield gaps and providing width all at once. Henderson could be that rightback on paper, since he already does a lot of that, but he isn't a rightback by trade and has to assume a lot of default rightback positions as a game ebbs and flows.

Not saying Trent can't be a revelation in midfield, just that it's a different setup altogether.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4445 on: November 4, 2019, 12:44:50 pm »
I just hope we don't burn him out

He will be fine, there are plenty of lads his age doing 12 hour days on building sites, working weekends and then going The Beachcomber, Flintlocks and Baileys nightclub for about twelve pints of Double Diamond with Vodka and Orange chasers and then going for a Chinese in The Wah Do until dawn. He only has to play a game football twice a week..

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4446 on: November 4, 2019, 12:47:10 pm »
No idea, I don't watch City

He makes them from much the same area Trent does

Which is very relevant....if we played like Man City do. Which we don’t.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4447 on: November 4, 2019, 12:51:36 pm »
Josh Williams (@distancecovered) on the Echo’s Analysing Anfield covered this as well. He went down the route of Trent defining himself a unique role (covering the cons of moving him forward into midfield).

It’s a really nice debate because we have a manager and set up that isn’t fixed in the way it thinks about the game, formations, positions and so forth.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4448 on: November 4, 2019, 01:44:51 pm »
He makes them from much the same area Trent does

Which is very relevant....if we played like Man City do. Which we don’t.

I feel this is the most important point. The way we play its very, very important we have players with the traits of Trent & Robbo in the wide areas. I don't understand why we would voluntarily take that away?

I can't see that changing under Klopp unless we unearth someone better to displace them (as I don't think there is anyone on the market better than either of them to buy).

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4449 on: November 4, 2019, 02:06:59 pm »
He will be fine, there are plenty of lads his age doing 12 hour days on building sites, working weekends and then going The Beachcomber, Flintlocks and Baileys nightclub for about twelve pints of Double Diamond with Vodka and Orange chasers and then going for a Chinese in The Wah Do until dawn. He only has to play a game football twice a week..

These builder lads wouldn't do so well on the pitch against professional footballers with appropriate fitness regimes though. Trent could probably play a game a day, perhaps more than one a day, and be physically fine. It doesn't mean he'd be playing well enough against fellow pros who have more rest.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline KaiNo7

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4450 on: November 4, 2019, 05:30:27 pm »
I would absolutely love Trent to be tried in right side of a middle 3, he only needs half a yard to get his crosses in, ala beckham if you like.... he would pick up many balls in final third and score lots of goals from edge of box. Absolutely convinced he could play there and chip in with more goals than our current midfielders. Hopefully he can be tried there in future, there is no rush with him though,he is absolute dynamite currently, my favourite player

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #4451 on: November 4, 2019, 05:35:51 pm »
I would absolutely love Trent to be tried in right side of a middle 3, he only needs half a yard to get his crosses in, ala beckham if you like.... he would pick up many balls in final third and score lots of goals from edge of box. Absolutely convinced he could play there and chip in with more goals than our current midfielders. Hopefully he can be tried there in future, there is no rush with him though,he is absolute dynamite currently, my favourite player
I disagree to be honest. I think it's a massive advantage that we have a player like that in a position that isn't usually associated with creativity. You can find loads of creative players to put in midfield but not many right backs with that ability. He performs as a midfielder might but simply does it from a different part of the pitch.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4452 on: November 4, 2019, 05:43:48 pm »
I disagree to be honest. I think it's a massive advantage that we have a player like that in a position that isn't usually associated with creativity. You can find loads of creative players to put in midfield but not many right backs with that ability. He performs as a midfielder might but simply does it from a different part of the pitch.

See Beckham. Except Trent is better all round, and has less of an ego.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Legoland

• Plazzie Brick Lid :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #4453 on: November 4, 2019, 05:50:21 pm »
Is Kdb making his crosses from FB position?

They whip in the crosses from similar areas. But, nvm that, I'm for TAA at RB.

This is precisely the point I was trying to make earlier as well.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4454 on: November 4, 2019, 06:43:24 pm »
You can find loads of creative players to put in midfield but not many right backs with that ability. He performs as a midfielder might but simply does it from a different part of the pitch.

This.

Sorry but really don't. We painfully lack balance in midfield as we don't have creativity, penetration and goals. Yes we're winning all the games but this season we're playing with a massive hand break on and it's a testament to an inhuman effort from our front 3 that is asked to create and score on their own. We grind too much lately because of it and it's a question how much longer can we sustain it.

Not this. We don't lack balance in midfield at all, we lack options as Keita is in and out and Ox is still feeling his way back - or as you yourself put it, Klopp doesn't trust them. I'd say the balance is fine.

The front 3 by no means create and score all the goals on their own, seeing as Trent and Robbo are contributing massively. So that's bollocks. And yes, they are making the effort, but Salah and to a lesser extent Firmino have been nowhere near peak form all season, both having a fair proportion of average/poor games - but we're still winning. It's not all Mane. It's the system and the whole team, which includes our midfield...the idea that the front 3 have been bailing out an awful midfield all season long is bollocks. No matter how highly we rate Trent, it'd likely take him months to adjust to CM and you've no idea whether or not we'd end up with a better team, absolutely no guarantee at all.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4455 on: November 4, 2019, 06:54:52 pm »
We already get this for free because we are a total footballing side. Look at the Robertson goal. Henderson drops in (a poor square ball means he has to drop deeper), Trent moves up and inside into the notional 'number 8' slot, Mane shifts wide right further up, Trent sees Mane's got his man isolated and sharply cuts back to make the angle for Henderson to give him the wall pass on the angle to Mane, Mane jinks outside then inside to make room for his cross...

Total fitba. Trent's average position is further up the pitch than Henderson. We're too wedded to our minds' notions of what a full back does.

Total football is right. Which almost makes this recent talk around here of is he a RB or a midfielder Totally moot no?! He’s already putting in numbers that better the best attacking midfielders in this league. From fullback!

Albeit, a fullback, who is basically a wide forward/winger given the amount this team attacks. He’s always forward. So is Robertson - that’s why they’re always on the verge of assisting each other. Teams which have 2 attacking fullbacks don’t seem to do that (one of them always stays back), but ours does. Maybe because they’re not *actually* fullbacks?

Fullback Total Football style. Just like when his GK’s laying on quarter back passes, the CBs running through midfield towards the box, the number 9 is actually a 10(ish), except when he’s a 9 and wingers who are actually world class inside forwards, except when they’re running back down the wing and putting a tackle on the opposing team’s winger.

Also, another way to prove he’s already a midfielder. Trent’s average position this season so far vs last season. I’d be surprised if it didn’t show he’s further forward. I don’t have access to the data but they’re posted on here every now and then. I think the whole team is, on average, further forward, but it’s being expressed by our fullbacks the most, and it’s why Trent’s coming into his own from that inside midfield area, in the opponent’s final third. His delivery is incredible. It’s why it’d also be interesting to see his numbers vs other creative midfielders. If they’re the same, or (as I have a hunch, better), then it would also put it to bed? He’s already a midfielder.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4456 on: November 4, 2019, 06:55:43 pm »
Great interview by Pepijn Lijnders on Trent.  :)

'A Ferrari without fuel is nothing - but Trent has so much fuel!'

Trent Alexander-Arnold's 'fuel, energy and will power' have driven the Liverpool full-back to elite level, according to Pepijn Lijnders. Alexander-Arnold created the winning goal on his 100th first-team appearance for the Reds on Saturday as Aston Villa were beaten 2-1.

It was another major milestone for the Academy graduate, who was Lijnders’ captain at U16 level five years ago and has since won the Champions League, been to a World Cup, received a nomination for the Ballon d’Or and much more. Liverpool assistant manager Lijnders has watched Alexander-Arnold’s development into one of Europe’s finest offensive defenders at first hand.
Through it all, the determination Lijnders saw in the protégé’s eyes as a youth player in Kirkby has remained – and, he says, is the secret to his success.

“I don’t like him… I love him!” the Dutchman told Liverpoolfc.com when asked about Alexander-Arnold’s century of games.
“A Ferrari without fuel is nothing. But he has so much fuel, so much energy and will power to develop and make his game better, and to make our game better.

“I saw that when he was 15 and 16, but to see it still in a player – in the eyes and in training – I think it’s the reason why he takes the game further and further and sets a new benchmark for an offensive full-back. “It’s good, it’s important for the club and for the fans. For us as a coaching staff, it’s important as well because it’s always nice to see players, if we give them the opportunity, they take them and take it to the next level.“He’s a good example of how the process should work.”
Such is Alexander-Arnold’s quality on the ball – which saw the No.66 set a Premier League record for assists by a defender in 2018-19 – many have suggested he could move into midfield later in his career.
The Scouser played in the centre under Lijnders as he progressed through the Academy and the coach agrees he has the capability to thrive in the position.
But given the balance of the current Reds team, coupled with the importance of the wings in modern football, the Dutchman sees no reason to switch Alexander-Arnold yet.

“He plays as a playmaker on the right,” said Lijnders.“I said already a few times I’m not sure how the game will evolve, the only thing I know is they close the centre better and better, and defensive stability is becoming better in teams, with five at the back or with four at the back, they defend the centre of the pitch much better.

“So the wings become more interesting and become more important, to have a good positional play there and a good offensive idea there.“Trent is one who gives us that from that position, he plays like a central midfielder there, how he puts passes. Of course, from the centre of the pitch you can reach many more positions. He has that in him, he did that before.

“But in this moment, why would you think about it if you have a midfield like that and Trent as a full-back like that? But, of course, he can do that.”
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4457 on: November 4, 2019, 07:01:34 pm »
“But in this moment, why would you think about it if you have a midfield like that and Trent as a full-back like that? But, of course, he can do that.”

Humankind is full of examples where we did stuff just because we could, without thinking whether or not we should...

Feel like I'm paraphrasing a film quote there but I can't think what it is...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #4458 on: November 4, 2019, 08:07:57 pm »
To me, this whole discussion seems like Beckham all over again - the football hipsters can argue all they like like they did with him that he can do so much more, but if you can cross like that, the world's best football managers are going to keep playing you on the right regardless, not in the middle. Might sound like an over-simplification, but I think it will turn out to be true.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #4459 on: November 4, 2019, 08:14:07 pm »
Humankind is full of examples where we did stuff just because we could, without thinking whether or not we should...

Jurassic Park
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4460 on: November 4, 2019, 08:16:18 pm »

JFK's quote regarding going to the moon I think

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #4461 on: November 5, 2019, 12:14:30 am »
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4462 on: November 5, 2019, 12:29:01 am »
Why couldnt he be a great midfielder? What is he lacking in his game?

If I was being picky, I would say a little bit of acceleration. De Bruyne moved from being a 10 to an 8. He always had that first two or three metres of acceleration to beat players. It's the one thing I have yet to see Trent do consistently. He isn't particularly fast but his reading of the game is so good that you never ever notice it. He's no slouch either but he's not a Walker or Mendy. I'm happy for him to be a full back throughout his career. Dani Alves did it and I don't recall the calls for him to be moved into midfield all the time and I think Alves is the model for Trent.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4463 on: November 5, 2019, 12:31:52 am »

We're going to need a bigger quote!
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline stejay007

• Kemlynite
« Reply #4464 on: November 5, 2019, 05:03:16 pm »
No way Trent should be moved to centre of the park. His delivery from central positions just isn't as up to scratch as his delivery from wide.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4465 on: November 5, 2019, 05:35:05 pm »
I just hope we don't burn him out

Tbf, on the sly he’s had 2 weeks off whilst on Int’l duty and another week off with a cold as well. Hopefully another 2 weeks rest sitting on England’s bench again in a weeks time.

He’s 21, so probably the ideal age for being fully developed physically and still have that almost unlimited energy of youth.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2019, 05:37:04 pm by OneTouchFooty »

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #4466 on: November 6, 2019, 12:10:12 pm »
Absolute filth;

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4467 on: November 6, 2019, 02:45:51 pm »

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4468 on: November 8, 2019, 09:46:27 am »
I'll just leave this here.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4469 on: November 8, 2019, 01:36:44 pm »
Wasted at RB. Should be manager.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4470 on: November 8, 2019, 01:39:28 pm »

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4471 on: November 9, 2019, 01:22:23 am »

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4472 on: November 9, 2019, 01:57:37 am »
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Redondos Barber

• Kopite
« Reply #4473 on: November 9, 2019, 12:11:53 pm »
Chairman imo.
You misspelt Mao.
Reports from Old Trafford suggest Ed Woodward is to be promoted to the newly created position of Chairman lmao.
« Last Edit: November 9, 2019, 12:14:00 pm by Redondos Barber »

Offline vallapureddy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4474 on: November 10, 2019, 07:08:53 pm »
Just wowww for that pass from his weakfoot. The curve on the cross for Robertson to get moving is pure filth. That goal is just poetic in every sense.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #4475 on: November 10, 2019, 07:13:00 pm »
The TAA crossover pass to Robertson is currently the deadliest ball in football.

Long may it continue

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #4476 on: November 10, 2019, 08:00:44 pm »
I keep thinking (for 2 years now) that Trent's hands are going to cost us one day. A couple of times he sticks his hands out looking like real obvious intentional handballs but the ref's somehow don't see them... the Roma one in the semi's 2 years ago was the most obvious one. Now, I don't know what one is going to suggest, we can't cut the hand off which offends thee, so we got to teach him how to move those hands somehow. And yeah, I know Silva hands the ball first so it's advantage Liverpool and goal is legit.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4477 on: November 10, 2019, 08:17:53 pm »
I'm still struggling to really see it as a handball and think that it's only the fact he opens up his hand in the way he does that is swaying opinion. When you're running your hands go back and forth.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4478 on: November 10, 2019, 08:19:03 pm »
Decent third choice keeper  :)

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4479 on: November 10, 2019, 08:19:40 pm »
He can hit some belting cross field passes with his left leg as well.

Nothing amazes me now, he has all sorts in his locker.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."