Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Last post by Sammy5IsAlive on Today at 06:16:41 pm »
He's always been defensively vulnerable in those kinds of situations. He ends ball watching and doesn't check for a player making that run behind him.

To be fair I think the open play back post situation is one that most 'natural' fullbacks (i.e. the ones that aren't converted CBs) struggle with. It used to be pretty much the only time that Ashley Cole used to look vulnerable.

That set piece is really poor though. By the time the ball gets over to him it is too late and he probably isn't winning a header against Calvert Lewin however good his body language. But there seems to be a complete lack of awareness and communication from him to try and prevent that from happening.

I've never had a problem with his physical commitment or his competitiveness. But his concentration defensively is a massive issue and it feels like it is not something he is even trying to improve.

Maybe he has decided that he is now a central midfielder (whether that be from an inverted RB position or a conventional midfield position) and not a defender. I'm not actually sure if he can hack it as a top level CM - he gets played around way to easily out of possession and whilst he is exceptional once he gets his head up on the ball he never looks completely comfortable in the confined spaces when he is hurried. In a funny kind of way it feels a bit like how Gerrard always wanted to play as a box to box CM in the middle of everything but was much more productive playing in other positions where he had the space to make his talent count.

Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Jürgen Klopp
« Last post by Knight on Today at 06:16:18 pm »
Didn't he say in the original interview when leaving that he wanted to leave last season, but then decided he needed to put things right.

Maybe he did actually. It’d certainly explain the sense that it’s all a bit much for him now.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Jürgen Klopp
« Last post by lgvkarlos on Today at 06:15:21 pm »
Senior players that under achieved last season brought back in to destroy the end of this season, I think his loyalty to certain players is his Kryptonite. The kids and new players (and Jurgen) basically won our only trophy this season, and played sensationaly well to put us in a great position.
I'm in my sixties and Klopp could be my favourite manager but I can't deny this last two years has been a letdown, probably made worse because I desperately want him to succeed.

I have been in a funk all day, just so pissed off.

We need to cut our losses I think.

I've never seen a player whose thinking and reactions are that slow. Just not one bit switched on. Maybe a good psychologist could help him but then his finishing when he actually does find space is shocking 
Quansah
Trent
Bradley
Mac Allister
Elliott
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Last post by LallanaInPyjamas on Today at 06:14:52 pm »
Think people are misunderstanding the "overachieved" thing. We have overachieved in that this was a transition season where we've had to build a completely new midfield with four new signings and having missed out on 3 of our first choices in these positions. We went through a long spell at the turn of the year missing 9-10 players from every match day squad resulting in kids being thrown in and somehow we still got results. We went to Old Trafford with two 20 year olds in the back line who werent even in the squad at the start of the season, and a back up keeper. So to challenge for the league under those circumstances was an overachievement for this squad at this point in time.

I always felt we had too many young players that needed one more years experience and development. Kelleher (yes he's 25 but hes played so few games overall), Bradley, Quansah, Gravenberch, Szboszlai, Jones, Elliott, Nunez, Gakpo. Some of these have several levels to go up and are going to be huge players for us. Others have big question marks against them now, particularly Dom, Nunez and Gakpo. But we're in a very strong position for the new manager who will certainly have funds to spend. Got to imagine Mo goes this summer and that will provide a chunk of finance along with the wages we'll save from Thiago and Matip and moving on a few squad players, we should have plenty to spend. Replacement for Mo and a quality DM are crucial for us now.

All completely fair enough, except the post said 'massively overachieved'. I'd agree to sustain a title challenge for as long as we did with the injuries we had was overachieving - as was winning the League Cup final against a team worth probably 5x as much because of those injuries - but it looks like we're going to end up maybe only a few points ahead of where I'd have set the target with this squad.

Either way 'massively' is...massively over-egging it.

Anyway, back to Trent - I think Jookie's earlier shout that even as a RB, he is still one of the top 3 in the world is an interesting one. I can't say too many exceptional right-backs spring to mind, but full-backs have evolved so much now - there's probably more types of them than midfielders these days.

I do think a) his lack of application/ability defensively and b) Bradley's emergence means we have to move him into midfield and see if it works, assuming he stays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcSz3-tvEEI&ab_channel=TheAthleticFCPodcast

Is Slot the right man for Liverpool?

The Athletic FC Podcast
Apr 25, 2024 
Since Jurgen Klopp announced his intention to stand down, Liverpool have set their sights on Dutchman Arne Slot.

So why do Liverpool want Feyenoord’s Arne Slot and is he the right personality to replace Klopp at Anfield?

Ayo Akinwolere is joined by The Athletic's David Ornstein, and Adam Crafton who spent time with Slot last season as they won the Eredivisie.

00:00 Intro
00:20 Liverpool are negotiating with Feyenoord
04:45 Who is Arne Slot
08:26 Is Slot the man for Liverpool?
14:55 Arne’s communication with his players
21:03 What’s next for Liverpool?
25:43 Club transitions
30:04 Could Slot unite fans?
33:44 Feyenoord & Arne Slot
37:14 Outro
I'd say we want it done so Klopp can give the supporters his blessing on the hire.
No chance all or even most of them are still here in 5 years. Look back through the thread, there's unlikely to be more than 5 still here, especially with a change of manager in the meantime.

Difference is that in the past we’ve often been in terrible positions and had older squad. Rarely have we been in such a good position to keep a squad together for a long time and compete. We only need one or two choice signings per season for the next several years.
Man, to think I've wasted so much time since January watching Bayer Leverkusen and Sporting Lisbon! Don't want to add Feyenoord to the list!

Nah, in all seriousness, it's actually a joy watching the other leagues without fume. I'll be pouring over old Feyenoord clips now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10