Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
I wouldn't put too much stock in that Klopp heaps praise in everyone.

Yeah, I know, I wasn't being entirely serious :P

He was obviously asked about Brighton today so was just complementary as usual, as he is about everyone.
News and Current Affairs / Re: The Irish Politics Thread.
« Last post by Crosby Nick on Today at 02:57:54 pm »
What! I didn’t stick up for him so please don’t twist my words.

Just being flippant. Didn’t know that (alleged?) fact about him.
Any news on the players they’ll be missing on Sunday?
You need help my friend. Not necessarily because of the time played, but because of what has been played during that time... :D
Think Alonso wanting to have a crack at the Champions League and retaining the league with Leverkusen is admirable. He’s almost certainly been given assurances by the club that they’ll be resolute this summer. That, or he’s saying he’ll stay to get the attention away for the rest of the season to not distract them from the task at hand, and he’ll change his position in the summer once the job is complete.

Assuming Xabi is true to his word though, it makes for a tough appointment with no perfect options (even Alonso wasn’t perfect, in reality). Emery, De Zerbi, Xavi, Amorim, Pochettino, Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Enrique, Schmidt, Conceicao, Big Ange would be the likely longlist. Deschamps would be a wild card I’d like us to analyse too.

They all have potential issues but all have clear qualities too. Can’t say I could pick a clear favourite from them, and I expect the majority of the fanbase would agree with me in not seeing a clear reason to pick any of them over Peo Ljinders. He’s obviously got his potential issues too, but it at least provides continuity, and could allow the hiring of some top assistants beneath him to fill the gap in qualities left by Klopp and Kraweitz. Obviously there will still be qualities we are missing from this year to last, but that will always be the case after Klopp, the job is to minimise the impact that has.

I’m not saying it has to be Ljinders, nor that he’s definitely a better candidate but to me, he feels like the most likely to avoid disrupting the current momentum.
Either way the point stands

Arsenal have their  5 best players 25 or under, with a young manager, getting better yr on yr, going deep in the CL, money and a board willing to gamble to the limit of ffp, whether Arteta is technically elite of not, doesn't matter, he will likely finish his reign at Arsenal with more titles than klopp, Arsenal are riding high and the news about Alonso makes their horizons look even brighter.

We have l lot of work to do, even if our next manager is better than arteta, he may well achieve less in the next 2- 4 yrs.

I doubt we can find out own arteta, as it's easier walking into a dressing room that has won little(like arsenal's in 2019), in your first job, I think it would be difficult for a arteta equivalent (or even de zerbi) to walk into our dressing room considering what our team has won collectively and command continued loyalty if things don't start well

Is Arsenal's current squad significantly better than ours? How would they have coped with injuries we have had?

I believe the next manager coming in will believe and expect to compete pretty much straight away.
For all of our domination under Klopp we've won one title under him due to the City/Pep situation. I think holding that against Arteta is similar to when people used to call Klopp a bottler due to his record in finals.

We won a CL in a similar time frame and have gotten to two finals. Thats whats elevated Klopp to the best manager status.
Bellingham all over again

Only in that both of them didn't want to join us and will end up at Madrid.
News and Current Affairs / Re: The Irish Politics Thread.
« Last post by TSC on Today at 02:54:35 pm »
Twitter comments inc. that his daughter married the son of an ex UUP politician (Danny Kennedy) and she told her hubby about the abuse, who then reported it to police.  Usual caveats re Twitter of course.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10