Author Topic: Trains from London - any general tips, please?  (Read 60890 times)

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Trains from London - any general tips, please?
« on: December 27, 2018, 11:51:56 am »
I have a railcard so get cheaper tickets at the advance rate, but I wondered if anyone had any tips on getting this down even further?

What is the sweet early spot in booking tickets early on the Virgin website?

My usual group have various babies/work type urgencies at the moment, so I'm without a lift some games (and I hate driving!). Trying to avoid going by coach where possible!

Cheers and Happy Holidays  :)
YNWA.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Re: Trains from London - any general tips, please?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 12:55:21 pm »
I used to do this every other week before moving back up.

Advance release is usually 12 weeks in advance - I think there's a page on Virgin's website with dates around which they'll go on sale.

Have a look at split ticketing, sometimes you can save a few quid using, for instance, Euston-Stafford then Stafford-Lime St. tickets on the same train.

If you can be bothered, changing at Crewe onto LNWR or Chester onto Merseyrail is also something to look at.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline roots99

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 06:33:17 pm »
I used to do this every other week before moving back up.

Advance release is usually 12 weeks in advance - I think there's a page on Virgin's website with dates around which they'll go on sale.

Have a look at split ticketing, sometimes you can save a few quid using, for instance, Euston-Stafford then Stafford-Lime St. tickets on the same train.

If you can be bothered, changing at Crewe onto LNWR or Chester onto Merseyrail is also something to look at.

All this is good advice.
To make it a little easier the Trainline does ticket alerts: https://www.thetrainline.com/ticketalert
Put in the start & end destination (Euston and Lime St in your case) plus the date of travel, and the morning the advanced tks are released you will be notified. Then go and actually book them direct from Virgin to swerve the booking fees.

Remember to be careful with TV and cup ties moving fixtures as advance tks are not refundable or flexible.   
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in." - Bill Shankly

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 07:44:07 pm »

There are a few websites that will look at Split Tickets it for you, e.g. https://www.splitticketing.com/ they usually charge a % but you can just compare the price and see if it's worth it.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 10:36:31 pm »
Thank you guys, very useful.
YNWA.

Offline Barry Banana

• because johnster was a rubbish username?...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 10:48:22 pm »
Where kick off times allow we normally get a London Northwestern off-peak day travelcard for London aways.£32 return on the day with a railcard.

You normally have to split at Stafford and it takes about 3 hours 15.

Early kick offs up to 3pms ok. Late kick off it doesn’t fit.
Long live the King

Offline Lager

• Main Stander
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 02:28:37 am »
You can go London to Crewe with London Northwestern instead of Virgin - I did it a lot last year and if you booked far enough in advance you could get a single for £12.

Crewe to Liverpool is usually then really cheap as well. The only downside is the train from London to Crewe takes a while longer and you've still got to get to Liverpool, but it was pretty much always cheaper.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 03:40:16 am »
I have a railcard so get cheaper tickets at the advance rate, but I wondered if anyone had any tips on getting this down even further?

What is the sweet early spot in booking tickets early on the Virgin website?

My usual group have various babies/work type urgencies at the moment, so I'm without a lift some games (and I hate driving!). Trying to avoid going by coach where possible!

Cheers and Happy Holidays  :)

Which games and where do you live? More often than not we will have a space in the car. Do you live near London?
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline lfc79

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 12:14:13 am »
If you're not bothered about travel times I have got the train via Birmingham a couple of times which is very cheap as Virgin are forced to offer decent priced tickets due to several train companies running competing services.

You could still get return ticket to Birmingham for the palace game on the 19th for £19 and from Birmingham -Liverpool for £23 compared to £89 on the direct trains and probably no seats

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 11:47:09 am »
Which games and where do you live? More often than not we will have a space in the car. Do you live near London?

Go most home games mate - from South West London. Everyone I know seems to leave from North which sometimes just makes the train a little easier.
YNWA.

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 11:48:07 am »
If you're not bothered about travel times I have got the train via Birmingham a couple of times which is very cheap as Virgin are forced to offer decent priced tickets due to several train companies running competing services.

You could still get return ticket to Birmingham for the palace game on the 19th for £19 and from Birmingham -Liverpool for £23 compared to £89 on the direct trains and probably no seats

Good idea actually!

Thank you all!
YNWA.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #11 on: January 2, 2019, 06:21:12 pm »
That birmingham idea is brilliant. Just done a sim for the crystal palace game and it saves around half the normal price i usually pay (from london to liverpool).
I use the two together railcard with a mate and it saves 1/3 off.
For anyone intrested the 26-30 Railcard just got released today which also gives you 1/3 off.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline Danthemanaussiered

• Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: January 3, 2019, 12:43:11 pm »

If the first train is delayed however won't that mean you are screwed for the 2nd one (ie missed your advance priced train and have to get a full price one next)

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 05:24:01 pm »
For the Newcastle game, seeing as fixtures aren't set until July, do people just take the punt on the super advance fares that I believe become available on the weekend?

Want to get to every home game again this season but ideally minimising the need to take the coach and minimising train costs.
YNWA.

Offline roots99

• Main Stander
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 06:05:29 pm »
For the Newcastle game, seeing as fixtures aren't set until July, do people just take the punt on the super advance fares that I believe become available on the weekend?

Want to get to every home game again this season but ideally minimising the need to take the coach and minimising train costs.

In theory the PL is announcing TV dates for Aug and Sept on or around July 5. Personally I'd jump on it as soon as the ko time is announced. That would still be around 10weeks before the match so you haven't lost much if anything waiting.

Plus, in this case, the member sale won't be until another 2 weeks after that so anyone below 13+ probably won't be looking until after then.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in." - Bill Shankly

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 06:35:22 pm »
In theory the PL is announcing TV dates for Aug and Sept on or around July 5. Personally I'd jump on it as soon as the ko time is announced. That would still be around 10weeks before the match so you haven't lost much if anything waiting.

Plus, in this case, the member sale won't be until another 2 weeks after that so anyone below 13+ probably won't be looking until after then.

Good points! Thank you!
YNWA.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 07:23:25 pm »
Try this London North Western Railway site https://www.londonnorthwesternrailway.co.uk/

You can get good deals if you book early enough, they now have a direct service Liverpool-Euston but via Birmingham & Northampton, or you can change at Crewe for the Trent Valley stopper.

I never use the trainline, they charge booking fees, most train operating companies including LNWR don't
#Sausages

Offline Barry Banana

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 07:58:39 pm »
Try this London North Western Railway site https://www.londonnorthwesternrailway.co.uk/

You can get good deals if you book early enough, they now have a direct service Liverpool-Euston but via Birmingham & Northampton, or you can change at Crewe for the Trent Valley stopper.

I never use the trainline, they charge booking fees, most train operating companies including LNWR don't

You don’t need to book early. Swap at Stafford and it’s £30 return on the day with a railcard. £45 without. Liverpool - Stafford bit can be done on virgin for many games too with a day return.

It’s also quicker swapping at Stafford than direct.
Long live the King

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 05:56:13 am »
Very helpful. Thank you both!
YNWA.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 07:38:13 pm »
You don’t need to book early. Swap at Stafford and it’s £30 return on the day with a railcard. £45 without. Liverpool - Stafford bit can be done on virgin for many games too with a day return.

True, but can save more if you don't mind booking in advance. For midweek evening matches, some LNWR only off peak tickets, don't have any afternoon/evening peak restrictions when departing Euston Monday to Thursday, certainly save a bit more compared with the Virgin Trains fares, even though it takes longer.

Just to add, the timetable was revised in May, the Crewe-Euston Trent Valley stopper now goes direct Crewe-Stafford, there's a new service Crewe-Euston via Stoke & Birmingham.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 07:46:47 pm by Statto Red »
#Sausages

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2019, 08:50:46 pm »

Does that mean two searches on trainline mate e.g. Spitting the jorney into two? Ta
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline Barry Banana

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2019, 09:03:11 pm »
True, but can save more if you don't mind booking in advance. For midweek evening matches, some LNWR only off peak tickets, don't have any afternoon/evening peak restrictions when departing Euston Monday to Thursday, certainly save a bit more compared with the Virgin Trains fares, even though it takes longer.

Just to add, the timetable was revised in May, the Crewe-Euston Trent Valley stopper now goes direct Crewe-Stafford, there's a new service Crewe-Euston via Stoke & Birmingham.

Yeah - should have added those fares only normally work for midday to 3pm kick offs on the weekend. Later kick offs and the London Midland (or whatever it is now) Stafford to London trains (and vice Versa) end.
Long live the King

Offline Barry Banana

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2019, 09:04:48 pm »

Does that mean two searches on trainline mate e.g. Spitting the jorney into two? Ta

Yeah. Book a Liverpool to Stafford day return (which is open on times and can be used on Virgin), then separately book London Midland Stafford to London.
Long live the King

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 04:07:23 pm »
Yeah. Book a Liverpool to Stafford day return (which is open on times and can be used on Virgin), then separately book London Midland Stafford to London.

You can get a Virgin Train only Liverpool-Stafford ticket, £!2.10 off peak day return using a railcard[£25.15 anytime return on Virgin only using a railcard]

Liverpool-Crewe is only £9.10 off peak day return Virgin Trains only ticket, using a railcard[£13.40 anytime day return]

Off Peak return Crewe-London on LNWR only is £28.10 using a railcard, from Stafford it's £27.05
#Sausages

Offline Barry Banana

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2019, 05:17:26 pm »
You can get a Virgin Train only Liverpool-Stafford ticket, £!2.10 off peak day return using a railcard[£25.15 anytime return on Virgin only using a railcard]

Liverpool-Crewe is only £9.10 off peak day return Virgin Trains only ticket, using a railcard[£13.40 anytime day return]

Off Peak return Crewe-London on LNWR only is £28.10 using a railcard, from Stafford it's £27.05

The Stafford to London bit seems to have gone up since last season. But as someone said you can buy singles for cheaper in advance. Still, £40 with a railcard on the day isn’t too bad.

Also, if you get the sound Scouse train guard called John, and ask if you can stay on the Virgin to London rather than swapping at Stafford, he’ll always let you.
Long live the King

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 12:45:56 am »
Anyone know if there was an outcome to this, please?
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/train-times-fixtures-schedule-government-scheme-epl-british-transport-police-a8778681.html

They said it was "nearing completion" but there doesn't seem to be anything further since this announcement in Feb. ::)

We are a team of one half.

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: July 7, 2019, 06:53:21 pm »
Some success, managed to get Newcastle train ticket for just over £20. Hopefully I can be better prepared for all matches now. Thanks again.
YNWA.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #27 on: July 7, 2019, 07:13:29 pm »
Some success, managed to get Newcastle train ticket for just over £20. Hopefully I can be better prepared for all matches now. Thanks again.

What's your route?

I got a direct from Euston for £19.80 using the 26-30 Railcard
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 8, 2019, 09:59:00 am »
What's your route?

I got a direct from Euston for £19.80 using the 26-30 Railcard

Exactly the same! Where possible I'd like to avoid the 4 hour trains. What time/day did you book out of curiosity? Went up a bit for me.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2019, 10:17:02 am by RainbowFlick »
YNWA.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #29 on: July 8, 2019, 05:31:47 pm »
Exactly the same! Where possible I'd like to avoid the 4 hour trains. What time/day did you book out of curiosity? Went up a bit for me.

I've booked the 7.49 arriving at 11.43. I've left it abit tight. Praying to god that there is no delays. And the 4 hour one back.

I usually book an early 2 hour one either direct or 1 stop at crewe but i'm going away in August + bulk sale and charity shield so i'm counting every pound.

I usually power walk up to anfield but i might have to catch a cab cus it will be tight
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 5, 2019, 12:20:40 pm »
Did anyone get a decent price for the Tottenham game in October? So far have been able to get decent rates on games booking early on Virgin, but it's about £60 on there now. Wondering if I missed the "sweet spot" the tickets dropped - although I guess maybe more people are planning to travel for that game from down South.
YNWA.

Offline lfc79

• Kopite
« Reply #31 on: August 5, 2019, 12:26:16 pm »
They only have the advance tickets on sale up to 25th of October on the virgin site, it will be very busy but they will probably put an extra relief train on after the game.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 5, 2019, 12:55:39 pm »
The one time Sky release the fixtures early, the bastards put them out before the cheap train tickets are out. Infuriating.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 5, 2019, 01:07:43 pm »
They only have the advance tickets on sale up to 25th of October on the virgin site, it will be very busy but they will probably put an extra relief train on after the game.

The 27th advance are on there, but there are none (you can still find advance on that day that get you in too late for them game). I think Virgin have removed them. It's not the first time they have done that.

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 5, 2019, 04:10:47 pm »
The 27th advance are on there, but there are none (you can still find advance on that day that get you in too late for them game). I think Virgin have removed them. It's not the first time they have done that.

Interesting. Was hoping to box off some £20-ish train tickets instead of forcing someone else to drive...!
YNWA.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 5, 2019, 04:54:33 pm »
Interesting. Was hoping to box off some £20-ish train tickets instead of forcing someone else to drive...!
Virgin are twats mate, they have pulled all advance to manc and the date is not even confirmed yet. There is no way that many people are risking it and have sold out of advanced.

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #36 on: August 5, 2019, 05:12:53 pm »
Virgin are twats mate, they have pulled all advance to manc and the date is not even confirmed yet. There is no way that many people are risking it and have sold out of advanced.
Surely no one would take the risk of booking trains when the date could still change?  ;)
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2019, 05:33:09 pm »
edit: Actually, looks like I can get a £30 getting in around 12am to Euston. Leaves at 8.04pm. Is this possibly too tight? Can you run it in about 30 minutes!?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 05:43:56 pm by RainbowFlick »
YNWA.

Offline AttaRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2019, 05:52:30 pm »
I walk from Lime Street to the ground and usually takes me 40 minutes so running you should be fine for 30 minutes

Offline TeddyTime33

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA, Chester via Newtownards
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2019, 06:50:00 pm »
edit: Actually, looks like I can get a £30 getting in around 12am to Euston. Leaves at 8.04pm. Is this possibly too tight? Can you run it in about 30 minutes!?
Yeah if you power walk can do it about 30 minutes, if you are swift out of ground at FT it helps too