Author Topic: PL: Liverpool 3 vs Brentford 0 Fab 44' Ox 69' Taki 77’  (Read 15310 times)

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Re: PL: Liverpool 3 vs Brentford 0 Fab 44' Ox 69' Taki 77’
« Reply #240 on: January 17, 2022, 09:37:21 am »
Biggest change to Thursday was the quality of set pieces, we got close a couple of times before breaking the deadlock. After that the game was always going to be different.

Agree just general quality and quantity of balls into the box was much better. When you have that much possession, you just need to test the defenders and make them play the ball sometimes. You might not always get a perfect cross but whipping it across them or making them step out can cause issues. We didn't see enough of it vs Arsenal until the final 10
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2022, 10:47:01 am »
Having gone a while without a league win I'd say relief was the biggest feeling after yesterday's victory. Covid absences caused us to the hit the rails when we were in a real great run of form and batting teams off with ease.

Some semblance of control was really good to see yesterday.

Bring on Arse!

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2022, 12:08:38 pm »
I wouldn't classify the Chelsea project as sports-washing, it's more of a vanity project for Abramovich (and, arguably, part of the city of London being used to launder Russian money). 
It's definitely sports-washing*, when you consider how the money was made; they guy's reputation was 'saved' by it. It's almost certainly where all the others got the idea as well.

*as well as sports-laundering. 
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2022, 12:21:49 pm »
3-0!
Another game where we dominated just about everything. The first goal was important. We needed it and it came at a very good time for us. The second pretty much killed the game. We looked better than we did vs Arsenal. Thought we had more variation and I reckon Jones was a contributing factor. It got even better as the goals came. Was happy to see Jota and Firmino go off a little early as they are so important. The game was won and we have more games coming up without Salah and Mane.  Happy to see a goal from Minamino. Important times for him now. Hope he can make the most of the chances he gets. Still think there's another level in him.

Sums it up for me. I thought we'd improve post Arsenal. I think we'll be better again on Thursday. It seemed a more coherent and better balanced team and one that's getting to know itself now. 1-0 would have been grand but 3 is better.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #244 on: January 17, 2022, 12:23:21 pm »
I wouldn't classify the Chelsea project as sports-washing, it's more of a vanity project for Abramovich (and, arguably, part of the city of London being used to launder Russian money).  I take your point though, neither Man City or Chelsea operate within the standard financial constraints.

Roll forward five years and the top three spaces may well be locked down by two state-owned and one oligarch-owned club.  Possibly the only way for other clubs to break into that will be to get similar financial backing.

Anyway, coming from a long way... irrespective of some of the flaws of this squad, we should enjoy every game.  We're in contention for trophies and, generally, playing ambitious football.

It’s the most successful sports washing project in the world - he’s now known almost exclusively as the benevolent and successful owner of a football team. What do you think he was before that?
You think he became a billionaire in Russia in his mid 30s through hard work and commercial aptitude?

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #245 on: January 17, 2022, 12:29:28 pm »
It's definitely sports-washing*, when you consider how the money was made; they guy's reputation was 'saved' by it. It's almost certainly where all the others got the idea as well.

*as well as sports-laundering. 
I don't see it as sports washing in the way that states utilise benign endeavours to wash the stench of more problematic realities 'back home'.

Abramovich - along with the handful of other oligarchs - accumulated their wealth through the handing out (by Yeltsin?) of vast industries for very little in return; turning a few individuals into billionaires overnight.

I don't doubt that buying Chelsea had ulterior motives - UK Passport(?), laundering money(?) - but being a private individual makes Abramovich distinct from the ownership of City and Newcastle who are, effectively, state-owned. How involved are the Kremlin in Abramovich's overseas concerns, such as Chelsea FC? Maybe they are.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #246 on: January 17, 2022, 01:23:57 pm »
It’s the most successful sports washing project in the world - he’s now known almost exclusively as the benevolent and successful owner of a football team. What do you think he was before that?
You think he became a billionaire in Russia in his mid 30s through hard work and commercial aptitude?
Yep

And once again, he started it. The others have followed, They learn from each other, the super-wealthy.

I'm not really interested in the semantics or minutiae of it. It's gobshitery however you define it.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #247 on: January 17, 2022, 01:33:54 pm »
Perfect performance in many ways, it was clear in the period from the 20th-40th minute that we were figuring out how to make up for not having the dynamic runs of Salah and Mane to react to.  Once the lads had that figured the game became way more comfortable and our play with the ball was as good as it normally is.

Fully expect them to carry this on now, we'll dispatch of the Goons in similar fashion on Thursday.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: January 17, 2022, 01:53:23 pm »
Before the game, I'd knew we would win but was unsure about what team would turn up. Brentford, they are a bit shit, aren't they. I didn't watch their game against Southampton, but when Southampton are lashing four past you, you aren't in a good place.

Started slowly but get into the game. Obviously, we are missing pace outwide with SM and MS away. Jones shown some nice touches, he had a good second half. Ox, I thought he was off it, but he turned up with a goal. Can't complain. Henderson, it's a weird one. At times I think he forgets he is a European Cup winning captian. Doesn't half play within himself at times. I still think there is more to come from him, has been a few hums and ars recently in the crowd by me about him.

Overall, good day apart from the Ox injury. Arsenal will be difficult, but we should have enough to beat them. Just keep up the intensity and tempo, and not let Areta drag us down into a grind.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #249 on: January 17, 2022, 02:04:06 pm »
Before the game, I'd knew we would win but was unsure about what team would turn up. Brentford, they are a bit shit, aren't they. I didn't watch their game against Southampton, but when Southampton are lashing four past you, you aren't in a good place.

Started slowly but get into the game. Obviously, we are missing pace outwide with SM and MS away. Jones shown some nice touches, he had a good second half. Ox, I thought he was off it, but he turned up with a goal. Can't complain. Henderson, it's a weird one. At times I think he forgets he is a European Cup winning captian. Doesn't half play within himself at times. I still think there is more to come from him, has been a few hums and ars recently in the crowd by me about him.

Overall, good day apart from the Ox injury. Arsenal will be difficult, but we should have enough to beat them. Just keep up the intensity and tempo, and not let Areta drag us down into a grind.

Not particularly no, especially not for a newly promoted team. They've scored more than a number of established PL teams, and same with conceded. Their 'expected points' would have them in 8th, above the likes of United, Leicester, Brighton and Villa. Getting battered by a team like Southampton is just the hallmark of a newly promoted side
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #250 on: January 17, 2022, 02:52:07 pm »
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2022, 03:55:18 pm »
I thought we'd have trouble scoring pre-match...

But we started well, moved the ball around quite well until we got to their box and then couldn't quite find that finishing touch.
I though Curtis brought good balance to the midfield and Jota seemed to be getting in better positions, Trent was much sharper too.

After 30, faded a bit but got the 1st at such a crucial time

The rest of the game was a walk in the park
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2022, 06:07:56 pm »
We've got to look at the next 4 now and get 3 points from each of them. Look at the fixtures - we should be doing. If we don't slip up, City will.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #253 on: January 19, 2022, 06:32:03 pm »
Not particularly no, especially not for a newly promoted team. They've scored more than a number of established PL teams, and same with conceded. Their 'expected points' would have them in 8th, above the likes of United, Leicester, Brighton and Villa. Getting battered by a team like Southampton is just the hallmark of a newly promoted side
Even based on their actual points, they've done well - they are 10 clear of relegation on a fraction of the budget some of the ones below them are on.

Also to be fair to Southapton, they swing wildly from excellent to awful on a game by game basis. The very definition of a midtable side
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: January 19, 2022, 08:19:41 pm »
Yep

And once again, he started it. The others have followed, They learn from each other, the super-wealthy.

I'm not really interested in the semantics or minutiae of it. It's gobshitery however you define it.

However I look at it I can't see it as a sportswashing campaign, I mean, the horrible Russki wanker hasn't been allowed to set foot in the country has he?  Some "cleansing" that is eh?   :)

For me it was always about vanity and wanting to show that he could rock up to those posh c*nts in Loon den and stand alongside them with fists full of cash.
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #255 on: January 20, 2022, 12:16:14 pm »
I thought we'd have trouble scoring pre-match...

But we started well, moved the ball around quite well until we got to their box and then couldn't quite find that finishing touch.
I though Curtis brought good balance to the midfield and Jota seemed to be getting in better positions, Trent was much sharper too.

After 30, faded a bit but got the 1st at such a crucial time

The rest of the game was a walk in the park

Trent has moved up more into central midfield with Henderson being the one to whip balls into the box or being played behind. Whoever that is taking up the Ox spot tonight will need to do a lot more than Ox did last week when Henderson and Trent could not find an outlet. Wished Harvey is fit enough to play but maybe a month too soon.