Author Topic: CL: Liverpool 2 vs 0 At Madrid Jota 13’ Mane 21’  (Read 22998 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
CL: Liverpool 2 vs 0 At Madrid Jota 13’ Mane 21’
« on: November 3, 2021, 06:41:40 pm »
MATCH PREVIEW - Liverpool vs Atletico Madrid

Date: Wednesday 03 November 2021

Kick Off/TV 8.00pm, BT Sports

Venue:

Officials

Referee: Danny Makkelie (NED)
Assistants: Hessel Steegstra (NED), Jan de Vries (NED)
Fourth Official: Dennis Hgler (NED)
VAR Official: Pol van Boekel (NED)
Assistant VAR Official: Jochem Kamphuis (NED)

Champions League Form Guide

Liverpool - WWW
Atletico Madrid - DWL

Recent Meetings

19/10/2021 - Atletico Madrid 2-3 Liverpool
13/03/2020 - Liverpool 2-3 Atletico Madrid
18/02/2020 - Atletico Madrid 1-0 Liverpool

Match Preview

Cast your minds back to 13 March 2020. There was an awareness that Covid-19 was now on it's way to UK shores, but there was still some element of the unknown as to just what it may entail for the country. The UK Government continued to allow sporting events to take place in front of large crowds, and a packed house descended on Anfield ahead of what we hoped would be another chapter in it's glorious European history. 3,000 Atletico fans were allowed to attend, despite the outbreak reaching Madrid.

Liverpool would exit the competition that evening, and Anfield wouldn't see a capacity crowd again for some 17 months.

There were some truly desperate times for families across the UK, and the wider world, in that period. I for one will never take these occasions for granted again. Atletico Madrid are the visitors, and the Reds have a wonderful chance to secure an early passage to the last 16 of Europe's premier club competition.

We are well aware of the challenge that a Diego Simeone team brings by now. Tough, defensive football, in your face, in the refs face, feigning all sorts of injuries, led of course from the front by our old friend, Luis Suarez. In many ways, the antithesis of how Klopp sets his men up. The two sides threw up a surprising thriller on Matchday Three, the Reds racing into a two goal lead before being pegged back. Antoine Griezmann was shown a red card for a reckless high boot, before Mo Salah secured a huge win from the spot. Three points again and it's job done.

For Liverpool's part, there have been some shades of the early Klopp football, with games reflecting some of the barnstormers we had in 2017/18. There have been points dropped from winning positions against Brentford, Brighton and Man City, which you wouldn't associate with the later Klopp sides. The Reds continue to score freely however, scoring no less than three goals in each away fixture so far, including a recent 5-0 drubbing of Manchester United. It may take two or three goals again to settle this one.

Atletico come into this one on the back of 3-0 win against Real Betis, with Joao Felix only appearing as a late substitute for Suarez.

Team News

Naby Keita (hamstring) will join James Milner and Harvey Elliott on the sidelines. Fabinho remains a doubt and Thiago, who was seemingly set to return to the bench at the weekend, sat out again altogether.

Antoine Griezmann misses out for the visitors following his red card in the return fixture. Joao Felix and Luis Suarez will continue to pose a formidable threat up front.

Predicted Line-Up

I think there may be a shift in formation here with the midfield injuries, with Firmino potentially dropping back into the 10.

(4-2-3-1) Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Konate, van Dijk, Robertson, Henderson, Jones, Firmino, Salah, Mane, Jota

Writers Prediction

What an opportunity to secure an early passage to the last 16, and all but win the group after only four fixtures. 2-1 to the Red Men, Salah and Mane with one apiece.

YNWA
« Last Edit: November 3, 2021, 08:22:46 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CL: Liverpool vs At Madrid
« Reply #1 on: November 3, 2021, 06:44:00 pm »

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 3, 2021, 06:48:19 pm »
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3 on: November 3, 2021, 07:57:22 pm »
The players are coming out.  As things stands if we win tonight we will go through as group winners, with the earlier game ending in a draw.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 3, 2021, 08:01:32 pm »
0 Atletico get us under way. Atletico attacking the Kop first half.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 3, 2021, 08:03:16 pm »
1 Atletico keep hold of the ball for the first minute or so, a testing ball from Trippier ends up with us clearing.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 3, 2021, 08:04:54 pm »
2 Game continues with AM getting a lot of possession early days, Alisson comes out early seeing Salah free, but his ball can't quite make Mo and is cleared.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 3, 2021, 08:06:29 pm »
4 We are starting to get a touch of the ball now, but AM are back as a unit, and Jota's ball can't find Tsimikas.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 3, 2021, 08:07:31 pm »
Did Suarez and the other forward refuse to take a knee?

I don’t think any of them did
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 3, 2021, 08:07:37 pm »
5 The first dive of the night as Suarez as he goes in for a ball with Matip. Joel is not amused, he did well there.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 3, 2021, 08:08:48 pm »
6 The ref has a word with Tsimikas as he comes together with Trippier, he's not booked.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #11 on: November 3, 2021, 08:09:56 pm »
Yellow for Hermoso - well merited - good spot ref

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 3, 2021, 08:10:20 pm »
8 We get a free kick for a foul on Salah by Hermoso who is booked. The ball goes in, but though not bad is cleared at a second attempt.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 3, 2021, 08:10:55 pm »
Yellow for Hermoso - well merited - good spot ref
He actually complained…

Has there ever been an easier call for a ref?
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 3, 2021, 08:12:13 pm »
10 We lose the ball, and Carrasco runs down the wing, we appeal for a hand ball but it's not given. They continue attacking, we eventually clear.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 3, 2021, 08:13:27 pm »
He actually complained…

Has there ever been an easier call for a ref?
The shithouse thought he'd gotten away with it 'cos he shielded himself (or so he thought) from the ref's line of sight while delivering that sly shove.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 3, 2021, 08:13:34 pm »
11 AM get a corner but its one of the worst corners I have seen and goes across the ground.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #17 on: November 3, 2021, 08:13:56 pm »
What a cross!
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 3, 2021, 08:14:16 pm »
Sadio is on his game tonight - running them ragged already

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 3, 2021, 08:14:24 pm »
12 Goooaaalll for Jota!, great cross from Trent.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #20 on: November 3, 2021, 08:14:57 pm »
12 Goooaaalll for Jota!, great cross from Trent.
Phenomenal delivery.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Re: CL: Liverpool 1 vs 0 At Madrid Jota 13’
« Reply #21 on: November 3, 2021, 08:15:21 pm »
It was a really well worked move, involving a number of players, really patient play but that cross from Trent was perfection, Jota just a foot out of the net.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 3, 2021, 08:16:05 pm »
What a cross!
Jota with a lovely header as Trent fires in the perfect cross - takes one bounce and then Jota nodded that in

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 3, 2021, 08:16:30 pm »
14 A flare up between Mane and Corrasco ends with a yellow card for Sadio, Hendo is furiously talking with the referee.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 3, 2021, 08:16:55 pm »
Not sure why Sadio was given a Yellow there - looked like Correa fouled him

Minute later Koke rakes Jota's achilles, nothing given

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 3, 2021, 08:17:04 pm »
15 Over to Tepid.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 3, 2021, 08:17:28 pm »
Not sure why Sadio was given a Yellow there - looked like Correa fouled him

I think that was why Hendo was so furious with the ref.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 3, 2021, 08:17:49 pm »
15 some cynical fouls from Atletico.  Need to not let it go to our heads l

Corner to the reds after a lovely run by Chamberlin

It’s just over VVDs head and the keeper claims.

Some game al ready
W

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #28 on: November 3, 2021, 08:18:02 pm »
We need to be more creative with corners, they love set piece defending.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 3, 2021, 08:19:30 pm »
18 nice cross by Mane from the left, the Keeper takes well.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 3, 2021, 08:20:16 pm »
19 we’re camped on the edge of their area, Mane shoots, it’s blocked and nearly runs to Jota 
W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 3, 2021, 08:22:21 pm »
Enjoyable one touch passing works the ball all the way from Alisson to well into the Atleti half - last shot was overhit and goes out f

whooooshodfhdosjfdosjfods

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 3, 2021, 08:22:25 pm »
21 2-0 Mane

Mane starts it off in midfield and drives forwards, the ball comes out to TAA, his cross shot is cleverly finished by Mane.
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 3, 2021, 08:22:53 pm »
A lovely goal, second assist for Trent.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 3, 2021, 08:23:33 pm »
21 2-0 Mane

Mane starts it off in midfield and drives forwards, the ball comes out to TAA, his cross shot is cleverly finished by Mane.

ha ha ha ha

Sadio was pivotal in the build up and then of course the lovely finish

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
Re: CL: Liverpool 2 vs 0 At Madrid Jota 13’ Mane 21’
« Reply #35 on: November 3, 2021, 08:23:55 pm »
23 Oxlade Chamberlin smashes one last the post from just inside the area, they were queueing up to hit it.
W

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #36 on: November 3, 2021, 08:24:21 pm »
No Milan repeat please Reds, keep going.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 3, 2021, 08:25:16 pm »
I really wish that the Ox can get his eye in - game against Brighton he also had a couple of good sighters that went past the post

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 3, 2021, 08:25:22 pm »
That Chamberlain chance was made by some great hunting from Hendo, won the ball back really quickly.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 3, 2021, 08:26:45 pm »
25 a spell of possession for Atletico, Carrasco has a shot blocked well.

Corner to Them, it’s punched clear under pressure
W