Author Topic: PL: Bford 3 v 3 Liv 26’ Pinnock 30’ Jota 54’ Mo Janelt ‘63 Jones 67’ Wissa 82’  (Read 32821 times)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Good game. Twat of a result. Need to sharpen  our killer instinct pronto.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
You can't score from every chance you get, we're scoring 3 goals a game for the most part. Even in our most successful seasons we've missed chances, but people have selective memories at times.

At this point we've scored more goals than any other side in the league, including City.
Garbage.

These are gilt edge chances and I don’t give a fuck abar city.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Garbage.

Garbage was our defending against a side that was just promoted, even more so given the quality of our defenders at the back. You may not care about City, but the facts remain the same

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Garbage.

You want us to score 20 goals with an xG of 2.5? Not happening. There were some good chances in the game, if we took all of them, it could've been like the Palace game of last season where we scored 7. But how often do teams score all their chances? Rare. That's his point, and that's far from garbage. It's based on reasoning and stats.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Garbage was our defending against a side that was just promoted, even more so given the quality of our defenders at the back. You may not care about City, but the facts remain the same

Even our midfielders didn't really defend well. For some reason, it looked like Fabinho and Van Dijk were losing their headers, which they rarely do. Brentford had clearly prepared for this, so that meant having their players in the right areas to win second balls, that caused us all sorts of problems.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Even our midfielders didn't really defend well. For some reason, it looked like Fabinho and Van Dijk were losing their headers, which they rarely do. Brentford had clearly prepared for this, so that meant having their players in the right areas to win second balls, that caused us all sorts of problems.

Yes, 2nd balls, and 3rd balls in some instances, we were dominated in that regard, which is rare given our quality in that area.

Going into the match, we conceded 1 goal, and scored 14 goals. At the end of the match, we conceded 3 goals, and scored 3. One part of the team didn't do their job well enough given the opposition and given our quality. It happens its football, but when looking at the game, I'm not putting more blame on the forwards than I am on the defenders/midfielders, who got done 3 times with the same type of tactic.  And I even agree, that yes Mo should have scored at 3-2, but again the defending imo was the bigger issue on the day.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Virgil was 6 of 8 on aerial duels on saturday and Fabinho was 3/3.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
I mentioned this yesterday but for their second goal one of the players causing the overload was Janson who had wandered up in open play. That’s pretty brave from their point of view. But who, if anyone should be picking him up there? Can’t really expect Jota to come back with him, Fabinho and the centre backs had other stuff to focus on. They took risks and got rewarded for it.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Brentford have an xG of 7.2 + 1 Penalty - roughly around 7.9 goals in 6 games (8 goals). In comparison, Chelsea have 9.3 goals in 6 games (9 goals) and Man United have 9.9 + 1 Penalty = 10.6 goals in 6 games (10-11 goals). Attack wise, Brentford are only 1-2 goals short of a Top 4 spot.

In fact, Brentford are 3rd in the xGD table, behind Man City and us.

We won't face many sides as threatening as Brentford, despite what others think about them by generalizing a promoted side as a poor side or anything. 

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jόrgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
I think there may be a bit of an overreaction to one result here. Liverpool are clear at the top by a point ahead of City and Chelsea. A draw was disappointing because a clear difference between Liverpool and the chasing pack would have given succour ahead of one of the most difficult games of the season against City.

However, few teams are going to play like Brentford (flood the midfield, long ball threatening the backline, bypass the centre and run in behind) and they played well, so that has to factored in here. Improvements can and should be made to the problems down the right (by encouraging key players to drop in and support the right side from the middle when necessary) and some work on the backline to tighten it up.

But I am not seeing the systemic or structural issues that some are pointing to on here. There are some worrying elements that COULD become systemic or structural, but for now at least I don't think the problems should lead to massive overhauling of the team... but in the winter window I think RB cover could become important. Part of the problem yesterday was TAA being brought back a touch too quickly from illness, IMO>
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

• Legacy Fan
I think there may be a bit of an overreaction to one result here. Liverpool are clear at the top by a point ahead of City and Chelsea. A draw was disappointing because a clear difference between Liverpool and the chasing pack would have given succour ahead of one of the most difficult games of the season against City.

However, few teams are going to play like Brentford (flood the midfield, long ball threatening the backline, bypass the centre and run in behind) and they played well, so that has to factored in here. Improvements can and should be made to the problems down the right (by encouraging key players to drop in and support the right side from the middle when necessary) and some work on the backline to tighten it up.

But I am not seeing the systemic or structural issues that some are pointing to on here. There are some worrying elements that COULD become systemic or structural, but for now at least I don't think the problems should lead to massive overhauling of the team... but in the winter window I think RB cover could become important. Part of the problem yesterday was TAA being brought back a touch too quickly from illness, IMO>

I agree. I don't think the game showed that we will have problems down the line because of personnel, we just didn't play to the level required in certain parts of the pitch.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Virgil was 6 of 8 on aerial duels on saturday and Fabinho was 3/3.

That's cool then. For some reason it felt like Toney was winning a lot of them.

Just checked, Toney won 9 headers, so he must've gotten around Fabinho and our defense. Also, it was not the direct header that was the problem, it was the second and third ball around the header that caused the problem.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
at no point in that game are we ever more than 1 goal ahead. If we score one of the 2 sitters missed at 3-2, it’s game over.

I can’t remember the last time we went 2 goals ahead and didn’t win, I can only think of Salzburg and Chelsea at home in the last 3 seasons (including this one) where we’ve gone 2 goals or more ahead and had that advantage pulled back (even though we eventually win the games).

We may well have scored more than City but what we need to be trying to reduce is the gap between going 1 goal ahead and going 2, for us we’re in the fortunate position that we don’t do what a lot of sides do(and actually what we used to be a bit guilty of) and easing off at 1-0

Scoring that 2nd goal is our Achilles.
Kill the humourless

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
You want us to score 20 goals with an xG of 2.5? Not happening. There were some good chances in the game, if we took all of them, it could've been like the Palace game of last season where we scored 7. But how often do teams score all their chances? Rare. That's his point, and that's far from garbage. It's based on reasoning and stats.
xGEC’s we’re 3 and of those xGEC’s, 2 were at a probability of 8.76856 and 8.83426, respectively with the 3rd at an eye watering 9.1865.
Evidence enough to demonstrate the fact we should not have been beaten to xGEC’s ratings and our xGEC’s were of a level that fell into the PIITFN criteria.
Sure we conceded, but Brentford had 2 xGEC’s and were successful in 200% of those at less xGEC’s factors of 7.9856 and 8.0583.

The numbers don’t lie, surely you can see this.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 08:18:24 pm by CHOPPER »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
xGEC’s we’re 3 and of those xGEC’s, 2 were at a probability of 8.76856 and 8.83426, respectively with the 3rd at an eye watering 9.1865.
Evidence enough to demonstrate the fact we should not have been beaten to xGEC’s ratings and our xGEC’s were of a level that fell into the PIITFN criteria.
Sure we conceded, but Brentford had 2 xGEC’s and were successful in 200% of those at less xGEC’s factors of 7.9856 and 8.0583.

Poetry in Motion said the lack of taking all the gilt-edged chances was normal based on reasoning and stats, and, as such, deserved your response.

I'd have put it differently: our lack of taking all the gilt-edged chances is normal based on decades of watching football. It just doesn't happen Chopper. Everyone misses sitters. It's not just Raheem Sterling. Torres, Suarez, Owen, even Rushie missed with shots they seemed certain to score.

I was much more concerned about that 2v1 and 3v1 against Trent at the back post that Brentford managed for their 2nd and 3rd goals. Disappointing we didn't learn after the first time it happened. Whose job is that to sort out? Trent's? Virgil's? Jurgen's? Hendo's?

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
Part of the problem yesterday was TAA being brought back a touch too quickly from illness, IMO>

I don't think that had anything to do with it, he didnt look rusty, he was just left exposed to 3 of their players on two occasions(i think) by the rest of our team

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan

A few will. Villa will for one.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Poetry in Motion said the lack of taking all the gilt-edged chances was normal based on reasoning and stats, and, as such, deserved your response.

I'd have put it differently: our lack of taking all the gilt-edged chances is normal based on decades of watching football. It just doesn't happen Chopper. Everyone misses sitters. It's not just Raheem Sterling. Torres, Suarez, Owen, even Rushie missed with shots they seemed certain to score.

I was much more concerned about that 2v1 and 3v1 against Trent at the back post that Brentford managed for their 2nd and 3rd goals. Disappointing we didn't learn after the first time it happened. Whose job is that to sort out? Trent's? Virgil's? Jurgen's? Hendo's?

And this is not reasoning? :)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

:lmao

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
xPITA is always high on here after dropped points, as is xBW and xMoaningFannies. Someone will have a radar and a Gantt chart for it
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
In 19/20 (up to the lockdown/sealing the title) we mastered the knack of seeing out a 1-0 or 1 goal win, although the opposition did often miss good late chances.

Since then we usually always need the 2 goal cushion or we'll just get punished. Norwich/Leeds/Burnley/Palace we did get it and won comfortably in the end. If we don't get the 2 goal cushion the sucker punch always arrives. Even in the last 10 games last season the ones we dropped points in were games where we were seeing out a 1-0 (Leeds/Newcastle) and conceded near the end.
You've chosen literally the best winning streak in our club's history, and then compared it to what happened after.

The reality is that after winning 26 of our first 27 that season, we had a 3 month lockdown, a global pandemic, no crowds, then the worst injury-hit season we've ever seen.

Since we found our consistency under Klopp, it's clear that there are very distinct periods of time that all need context before we can draw any conclusions:

2018/19: a 97 point season and a European cup
2019/20: a 99 point season and the Premier League title
2020/21: title winning form until Christmas, when we were top of the league. Then title winning form from early March, with 26 points out of 30 to finish 3rd despite half our best players injured or playing out of position.

Over 3 full seasons, the two periods of inconsistent form are for two key reasons.

1. The drop-off after lockdown - in March 2020 the world had just gone to shit, we had the title virtually in the bag, and after 78 points from a possible 81, it was always going to be difficult to keep that consistency - especially in empty stadiums.

2. The poor run from late December 2020 through to early March 2021 - injuries, more injuries, players out of position, no senior CB's, empty stadiums, plus all the injuries. Also, did I mention the injuries?

I don't think it's fair to say ' we usually always need a 2 goal cushion or we'll get punished', and then compare that to the best ever winning streak in our history (when we had a fully fit squad).

Since early March this year, we're unbeaten in 16 games, winning 12 and drawing 4. This run includes four 2-0 wins and five 3-0 wins. That's title winning form, and plenty of 2 goal cushions. A 3-3 draw against a newly promoted side doesn't change any of that.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
And this is not reasoning? :)
It's a different sort of reasoning...  :)

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
I mentioned this yesterday but for their second goal one of the players causing the overload was Janson who had wandered up in open play. That’s pretty brave from their point of view. But who, if anyone should be picking him up there? Can’t really expect Jota to come back with him, Fabinho and the centre backs had other stuff to focus on. They took risks and got rewarded for it.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

The left most three players and right most three players are engaged, the middle three are ball-watching.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
The left most three players and right most three players are engaged, the middle three are ball-watching.
including Virgil. Gulp*
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Crazy image that. Absolutely crazy. If only it were a home game and the crowd could have shouted “They are behind you”, panto style.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan

Just checked, Toney won 9 headers, so he must've gotten around Fabinho and our defense. Also, it was not the direct header that was the problem, it was the second and third ball around the header that caused the problem.
He won them on Matip for the most part. Matip heading was bad but they also have to do better on the 2nd and 3rd ball.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan

Van Dijk wasn’t an issue mostly. Matip though barely won a header all game. He was absolutely demolished. I felt a bit foolish because I confidently stated pre match that the ‘2nd best CB in the country’ wouldn’t give him any joy. In reality I’ve rarely a seen a CB so outmatched by a forward.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan

LOL. Next we'll be accused of being bus parkers. 10 players in and around our box to try to defend that cross. They'll have to look at that situation closely. Very poor positioning in general and we did get it badly wrong there. Easily sorted on the training field however.