Author Topic: Shoot on Sight: How do we improve our scoring when on top?  (Read 2991 times)

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Shoot on Sight: How do we improve our scoring when on top?
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2021, 08:42:10 pm »
and interestingly enough the side that has won 3 out of the last 4 league titles, doesn't shoot outside the box very often at all, i wonder why that is   :D
They don't but they have it in their locker and have won tight games through them.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2021, 08:45:51 pm »
Haven't we scored the most goals from corners in the league this season?
I honestly don't know but we don't look like a threat and most of our corners either don't beat the first man or are too high.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2021, 09:04:12 pm »
I honestly don't know but we don't look like a threat and most of our corners either don't beat the first man or are too high.

You may want to do research before you make a claim about something that isn't true. We've scored more goals from set pieces than any other sid e in the league.

And this isn't the first time either. We've done this in two other seasons, one of which we won the league in.

They don't but they have it in their locker and have won tight games through them.

They win the majority of their games with the same type of style of play than they do resorting through shots from outside the box. The amount of games they've won with them is minuscule.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2021, 11:07:22 am »
Having a good long-range shooter creates more space by drawing defenders out. A good dribbler will also create space and improve the quality of our final ball.

Having players with the ability to dribble can be much more important than long range shooting.

I’m not sure if long range shooting really draws out a defence. It’s such a low % chance when shooting from >20 yards out that I think most teams are happy to let you have a long range shot. For every shot that goes in there are numerous attempts that either give the ball back to the opposition or fly into the stands, allowing the opposition to waste time on a goal kick and stop any attacking momentum.

I’m not saying we should never shoot from distance, try to be the best we can from direct free kick or corners but they are all marginal gain aspects of scoring more goals. Those marginal gains can make a difference in a season. But if you think there’s a fundamental flaw in the way a teams scores goals then improving long range shooting or set piece efficiency is not the likely area you want to improve. It’s improving chance creation (both quality and quantity) and conversion of those chances. This current Liverpool team is pretty good at those aspects despite the fact the strikers have missed some chances (as every player who’s ever played the game does).
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2021, 11:53:19 am »
sometimes you sit back and think...isn't it great our issues are limited to things like this  :)

I know missing a sitter when you're 2-0 up is different to when you're 2-1 up and those are the chances we got to be better at taking...we probably produce more chances being a goal up than most and probably even take these chances more than most in all honesty (i have not seen stats).

But there are always areas for improvement, though I dont think there is much to be concerned about atm in terms of our attacking play in general. We look pretty free flowing to me this season and I have enjoyed watching some of our passages of play. Been some top stuff on display...and Firmino is yet to come in and defence has yet to settle more

Atleast scoring at all is not a current concern...
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2021, 12:53:24 pm »
It’s unrealistic and risky to expect Alisson to consistently go up for corners IMO.

I, for one, would try the "false gk" role at corners. A double Becker jump and bullet header into the top corner and then slot back into defensive sweeper/keeper role.

Or Alisson to be decoy and shortypants Jota (5 foot 10 but never mind) to head home unmarked.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2021, 01:08:25 pm »
Haven't we scored the most goals from corners in the league this season?

And the most full stop

Thread should be about defending if anything

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2021, 02:24:41 pm »
After watching us this season, one observation is our lack of cutting edge in attack.
We find it difficult to convert dominance to goals. At least not to the same level as Man City. .
Another puzzling thing: Our counter attacks are almost never as lethal as they used to be a few seasons ago. The word used then was "devastating".
Not sure if City are more ruthless than us, they also create and miss an insane number of chances it's just that those 5/6 nils skew the stats a little.

Definitely agree around our problems on the counter, it's been like that for over 18 months and it does impact on our ability to kill games as the opposition don't tend to give us much space so as and when they do attack us, we are unable to use the space and punish them.

Even on Saturday there were a number of times where the right pass sets us off but we mess it up early and the chance is gone and doesn't even show up in the stats.

I guessing more work iin training is needed, but then much of the work done is in tight areas so it's hard to cover every kind of attack.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...