Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD  (Read 3119666 times)

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - END GAME
« Reply #12440 on: January 14, 2022, 10:56:47 pm »
That's prudent from their business perspective. But AFAIK none of that spending counts towards FFP.

It has nothing to do with FFP. We are being run like a business, and being run well. We as fans want to win titles every season, of course. FSG, on the other hand, are building a club that will be competitive with Man City, Chelsea and Newcastle for the next 20 years. In case you have missed it, Man Utd and Arsenal have already lost that battle, and only 20 years ago they were the members of the Big 3 with LFC ...

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12441 on: January 15, 2022, 12:22:20 am »
How would Ndombele go in our midfield? Maybe a loan as he's on the outer at Spurs.

Just asking. He was outstanding in a great Lyon team and is has only just turned 25.
Bit of a Pogba, very good technical ability but just doesn't do enough in terms of concentration and application. He SHOULD be one of the most dynamic midfielders in this league but he doesn't apply himself

At his best he's what our midfield needs, strong, creative, combative but he isn't showing it in the premier league

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12442 on: January 15, 2022, 12:41:27 am »
Bit of a Pogba, very good technical ability but just doesn't do enough in terms of concentration and application. He SHOULD be one of the most dynamic midfielders in this league but he doesn't apply himself

At his best he's what our midfield needs, strong, creative, combative but he isn't showing it in the premier league

But if he has all those traits could working with someone like Klopp get him to do that on a regular basis. We could offer someone like AOC or Phillips as a potential swap.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12443 on: January 15, 2022, 12:58:15 am »
But if he has all those traits could working with someone like Klopp get him to do that on a regular basis. We could offer someone like AOC or Phillips as a potential swap.

There's a reason we value work ethic in incoming players so highly, Klopp isn't just going to magically turn him into a different person.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #12444 on: January 15, 2022, 01:22:24 am »
In other words--you've removed Gini's minutes and replaced them with Balsa wood!
Don't knock balsa wood. It got Thor Heyerdahl and friends safely across the pacific ocean from Peru to the polynesian islands.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #12445 on: January 15, 2022, 01:38:23 am »
At this point I'm resigned to the fact that the overwhelming odds are Mane, Firmino and Salah are all going to be here one way or another until Summer 2023.  So this thread is basically going to be of value for tracking the eventual Milner replacement in the summer, which I do think will be a top level signing, and fuck all else over the next 12 months.  Maybe a Minamino sale?  Though my guess is they'd just use Gordon to cover those minutes unless they really want to loan him out for a year to the Championship.

Ideally you don't want to have to replace a whole forward line in one summer window, I suppose with Jota we don't, but barring Salah re-signing it's looking like Klopp will get one year to set the baseline with a new group and then hand it off.  So set your clocks to June 1st, 2023 people.  This time we will mean business.  Or not.  Who knows? 

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12446 on: January 15, 2022, 04:22:27 am »
There's a reason we value work ethic in incoming players so highly, Klopp isn't just going to magically turn him into a different person.

I didn't realise he was also on 200k per week.  :o
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #12447 on: January 15, 2022, 08:28:06 am »
It has nothing to do with FFP. We are being run like a business, and being run well. We as fans want to win titles every season, of course. FSG, on the other hand, are building a club that will be competitive with Man City, Chelsea and Newcastle for the next 20 years. In case you have missed it, Man Utd and Arsenal have already lost that battle, and only 20 years ago they were the members of the Big 3 with LFC ...
Out of interest, why have Utd lost that battle?

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12448 on: January 15, 2022, 08:46:02 am »
By not spending wisely. They've lost in the short run but the medium term is up for debate.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #12449 on: January 15, 2022, 08:48:31 am »
You hear this all the time about being run like a business but businesses are run in different ways depending on where they are.
For instance, if they are trying to grow they may need to take on a measured amount of debt to fund that expansion because their current revenues don't support that.
I would argue that is the phase we are in now. We have a number of cracking players and with a moderate amount of investment we would stay very competitive for the next 3 or 4 years at least, maintain our humongous fanbase and just as importantly attract new sponsors while keeping our existing ones. That will then position us that we are truly self sustainable.
Sure City can invest and so can Chelsea and Man City but with our manager and recruitment staff and our current team we can still outstrip them. Players want to come here, that is massive.
I would argue if we don't invest I don't see us being competitive in 20 years or 5 or 10 for that matter. Our performance on the pitch will drop, our sponsors will lose interest, the best players won't want to come here and then we just cannot compete because even our long term business model will be screwed.
On here, it's seems to treated as any debt is bad. I agree that if the debt is not manageable and prevents you competing. But no debt? Based on what that will mean long term?
Again, not asking for £100m just consistent modest investment, that is what we need in the next 3 to 4 years.
It would be interesting to know how much the value of the club has risen since Summer 18 when we had made all our big transfers. Does it outstrip the expenditure?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12450 on: January 15, 2022, 09:13:51 am »
At this point I'm resigned to the fact that the overwhelming odds are Mane, Firmino and Salah are all going to be here one way or another until Summer 2023.  So this thread is basically going to be of value for tracking the eventual Milner replacement in the summer, which I do think will be a top level signing, and fuck all else over the next 12 months.  Maybe a Minamino sale?  Though my guess is they'd just use Gordon to cover those minutes unless they really want to loan him out for a year to the Championship.

Ideally you don't want to have to replace a whole forward line in one summer window, I suppose with Jota we don't, but barring Salah re-signing it's looking like Klopp will get one year to set the baseline with a new group and then hand it off.  So set your clocks to June 1st, 2023 people.  This time we will mean business.  Or not.  Who knows? 

I mean, if our strategy is to let all of Mane, Firmino and Salah to leave on a free in summer 2023 and replace a whole front line then I dont give a shit what this football structure has done thus far, I would happily say that the idea is stupid.

Also, where is the money coming from to replace all of them?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 09:16:31 am by killer-heels »

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #12451 on: January 15, 2022, 09:43:32 am »
People will seemingly bang that drum for many years, but it still boggles my mind that people are looking at this season and going ‘Yeah, it’s Wijnaldum they’re missing’

The midfield was shite last season with the exception of the games Fabinho and Thiago started together (Wijnaldum was ever present).

If Thiago was as durable as Wijnaldum then the midfield would be less of an issue.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12452 on: January 15, 2022, 09:46:16 am »
I mean, if our strategy is to let all of Mane, Firmino and Salah to leave on a free in summer 2023 and replace a whole front line then I dont give a shit what this football structure has done thus far, I would happily say that the idea is stupid.

Also, where is the money coming from to replace all of them?

The sensible thing would be to tie one up to a new deal (really needs to be Mo), sell one in the summer and sign a younger replacement and then let the other one go in 2023 (or agree a new deal if both parties agree).

We aren't Man City who can afford to lose Aguero, Silva, Kompany, Toure et al for nothing at the end of their deals with a blank cheque to replace.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12453 on: January 15, 2022, 09:51:48 am »
The midfield was shite last season with the exception of the games Fabinho and Thiago started together (Wijnaldum was ever present).

If Thiago was as durable as Wijnaldum then the midfield would be less of an issue.

Exactly Fromola, crazy that there are people that can't see that.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12454 on: January 15, 2022, 10:25:53 am »

Do you see them winning the Premier League or the Champions League any time soon?

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12455 on: January 15, 2022, 10:31:02 am »
Do you see them winning the Premier League or the Champions League any time soon?

No, I don’t see us winning it any time soon either which is what I care about

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12456 on: January 15, 2022, 10:34:20 am »
No, I don’t see us winning it any time soon either which is what I care about

We are one of the top 4 favorites to win the Champuons League this season, so you are way off the mark ...

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12457 on: January 15, 2022, 10:38:00 am »
We are one of the top 4 favorites to win the Champuons League this season, so you are way off the mark ...

The problem is if we get Chelsea or City over two legs (and then in the final) - or maybe 1 or 2 others like Bayern - we're dependent on having our best side on the pitch for both games. That's a huge long shot with injuries and Covid.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12458 on: January 15, 2022, 11:01:06 am »

Do I need to remind of what You said? Winning the premier league and champions league.

Will we win the premier league this season? NO
Will we win the premier league next season? Not unless there is a serious change in our transfer budget
Will we win the champions league this season? NO- I don’t see a team capable of winning the champions league regardless of the betting odds, the togetherness isn’t there, the momentum isn’t there, we aren’t keeping enough clean sheets, we don’t close out games well enough and we lack inspiration if Salah isn’t on top form so get real FFS, this unrealistic view of where we really are at is what is causing us to decline so rapidly.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #12459 on: January 15, 2022, 11:01:58 am »
Do I need to remind of what You said? Winning the premier league and champions league.

Will we win the premier league next season? Not unless there is a serious change in our transfer budget
Will we win the champions league this season? NO- I don’t see a team capable of winning the champions league regardless of the betting odds, the togetherness isn’t there, the momentum isn’t there, we aren’t keeping enough clean sheets, we don’t close out games well enough and we lack inspiration if Salah isn’t on top form so get real FFS, this unrealistic view of where we really are at is what is causing us to decline so rapidly.

Remind me to dig a trench elsewhere if you're next to me, please.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12460 on: January 15, 2022, 11:02:44 am »

That's the spirit

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12461 on: January 15, 2022, 11:06:38 am »
The problem is if we get Chelsea or City over two legs (and then in the final) - or maybe 1 or 2 others like Bayern - we're dependent on having our best side on the pitch for both games. That's a huge long shot with injuries and Covid.

But so are they...

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #12462 on: January 15, 2022, 11:07:02 am »
IF (and that’s a big IF) our ‘best’ 13/14 players are fit and available for every game, I think we’ve got a great chance in the Champions League this season.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #12463 on: January 15, 2022, 11:08:41 am »
Your comment was that they had lost the battle to be competitive for the next 20 years.
If they make a good appointment in the summer and back him (which they have the previous manager) then yeah, I can see them winning the league in the next 3 years and possibly the CL. I think they have spent more than City over the last few years so if they can  still invest and have the right manager spending the money they could win the league and CL.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12464 on: January 15, 2022, 11:08:59 am »
Remind me to dig a trench elsewhere if you're next to me, please.

if we’re not willing to look at things honestly how will we Improve?

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12465 on: January 15, 2022, 11:10:47 am »
IF (and that’s a big IF) our ‘best’ 13/14 players are fit and available for every game, I think we’ve got a great chance in the Champions League this season.

They need to be fit, on form and take our chances when we get them

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #12466 on: January 15, 2022, 11:13:03 am »
They need to be fit, on form and take our chances when we get them
The reason those 13/14 players are our best players is because when fit, they’re generally great 

If they’re all available, no team would concern me over two legs.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12467 on: January 15, 2022, 11:39:13 am »
Your comment was that they had lost the battle to be competitive for the next 20 years.
If they make a good appointment in the summer and back him (which they have the previous manager) then yeah, I can see them winning the league in the next 3 years and possibly the CL. I think they have spent more than City over the last few years so if they can  still invest and have the right manager spending the money they could win the league and CL.

Man Utd and Arsenal have NO CHANCE of winning the Premier League or the Champions League any time soon. They are light years behind Man City, LFC and Chelsea, despite spending a fortune in recent years. Like I said, they have lost the battle ...

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12468 on: January 15, 2022, 11:41:08 am »
The reason those 13/14 players are our best players is because when fit, they’re generally great 

If they’re all available, no team would concern me over two legs.

Absolutely. And it works that way for every team. Does anyone think that Man City or Bayern Munich will be the favorites against us without De Bruyne or Lewandowski?

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12469 on: January 15, 2022, 11:47:35 am »
Absolutely. And it works that way for every team. Does anyone think that Man City or Bayern Munich will be the favorites against us without De Bruyne or Lewandowski?

But if we're missing a couple and City are missing a couple it benefits them in most areas of the pitch. Already this season we faced them at Anfield with Milner at right back which they were able to exploit - that was one down to one injury. We played at Chelsea with Milner and Henderson in midfield (and the Arsenal semi final) due to one injury.

And it's enshrined in law that Chelsea get all their best players back to face us.

I'd still take out best XI - and manager - over the others. It's more the drop off when you're having to make changes in many areas.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #12470 on: January 15, 2022, 12:38:28 pm »
Man Utd and Arsenal have NO CHANCE of winning the Premier League or the Champions League any time soon. They are light years behind Man City, LFC and Chelsea, despite spending a fortune in recent years. Like I said, they have lost the battle ...
Oh, so there is no logic to your argument then.
Man Utd are behind City because they didn't spend all of it well. That is s not to say they don't have some very good players and with additions in the right areas - centre midfield for one - cannot catch-up quickly. They still have the financial wherewithal to compete and I imagine will do for some time yet.
Funny you cite Arsenal as your example. You mean the club that was run to a rigid self sustainable model and now needs to spend £100ms to catch-up (which they don't have the ability to generate without taking huge risks).
Reminds me a bit of Doug Ellis at the Villa, took over as European and league winners, proudly ran them as a rigid break even for 15-20:years and sold them as a middle table club.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12471 on: January 15, 2022, 12:43:01 pm »
Oh, so there is no logic to your argument then.
Man Utd are behind City because they didn't spend all of it well. That is s not to say they don't have some very good players and with additions in the right areas - centre midfield for one - cannot catch-up quickly. They still have the financial wherewithal to compete and I imagine will do for some time yet.
Funny you cite Arsenal as your example. You mean the club that was run to a rigid self sustainable model and now needs to spend £100ms to catch-up (which they don't have the ability to generate without taking huge risks).
Reminds me a bit of Doug Ellis at the Villa, took over as European and league winners, proudly ran them as a rigid break even for 15-20:years and sold them as a middle table club.

You don't really get what is wrong with Man Utd and Arsenal, don't you? They have been spending a fortune for years, but the right structure is simply not there. No matter who they appoint as a manager, or how much do they spend on players, they don't have the setup to compete with the oil clubs ...

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12472 on: January 15, 2022, 12:44:28 pm »
You hear this all the time about being run like a business but businesses are run in different ways depending on where they are.
For instance, if they are trying to grow they may need to take on a measured amount of debt to fund that expansion because their current revenues don't support that.
I would argue that is the phase we are in now. We have a number of cracking players and with a moderate amount of investment we would stay very competitive for the next 3 or 4 years at least, maintain our humongous fanbase and just as importantly attract new sponsors while keeping our existing ones. That will then position us that we are truly self sustainable.
Sure City can invest and so can Chelsea and Man City but with our manager and recruitment staff and our current team we can still outstrip them. Players want to come here, that is massive.
I would argue if we don't invest I don't see us being competitive in 20 years or 5 or 10 for that matter. Our performance on the pitch will drop, our sponsors will lose interest, the best players won't want to come here and then we just cannot compete because even our long term business model will be screwed.
On here, it's seems to treated as any debt is bad. I agree that if the debt is not manageable and prevents you competing. But no debt? Based on what that will mean long term?
Again, not asking for £100m just consistent modest investment, that is what we need in the next 3 to 4 years.
It would be interesting to know how much the value of the club has risen since Summer 18 when we had made all our big transfers. Does it outstrip the expenditure?

This is very good. I think we probably need to spend at least £100 million this summer. We can recoup some of that by selling a CM and a forward but if we want to compete at the top end we absolutely need a new 8 and a new forward this summer who are immediately (after a settling in period of course) in the first 13/14 players. That'll cost us at least £100 million and it's a bare minimum of what we need. If that means investment/ taking on debt then so be it, we need to invest at this point to keep us at the top and make sure that the spine of this team (Allison, Van Dijk, Matip, Trent, Robbo, Fabinho, Salah) can continue to compete whilst it's basically at its peak.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 12:46:36 pm by Knight »

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12473 on: January 15, 2022, 01:13:50 pm »
You don't really get what is wrong with Man Utd and Arsenal, don't you? They have been spending a fortune for years, but the right structure is simply not there. No matter who they appoint as a manager, or how much do they spend on players, they don't have the setup to compete with the oil clubs ...
Arsenal fell off because they were faced with a big-spending Chelsea team and instead of maintaining their squad, they spent money on building a new stadium. After a while their best players were leaving for nothing or next to nothing and going straight to their rivals. United fell off because their best players aged out together, they didn't replace them properly and when a new manager came in the best had already been squeezed out of them. Not that there are any lessons to be learned of course.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #12474 on: January 15, 2022, 01:47:04 pm »
In Utd I see a club with similarities to the one that Klopp took over (albeit we didn't have their spending power).
A board that people argue know nothing about football, a management team that make regular gaffes away from the pitch and a disjointed football side. Our transfer committee was laughed at by many. I don't think anyone who saw us lose 6-1 at Stoke envisaged we would be winning the league within 6 years.
Man Utd have some very good players and if they recruit a manager who knows what he is doing, they will back him and he will be able to turn things around much more quickly than Klopp could on a modest budget. It's all about making the right appointment, the same administration which were very successful under Ferguson and have him in the background with Murtagh now making the football decisions and a different role for the new CEO now Woodward has gone. I certainly wouldn't be writing them off, they just need to manage their debt situation.
Arsenal display the challenges if you drop out of the top 4, difficult to attract players, may have to overpay and cannot afford transfer mistakes. However they are very similar to where we were in 2015 and with a good manager they can get back up there but will take longer.
A good manager is absolutely vital but either way I would certainly not be writing them off for the next 20 years, certainly not Utd.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12475 on: January 15, 2022, 01:58:38 pm »
So, the only thing both Man Utd and Arsenal are missing is a competent CEO, a competent Director of Football and a competent Manager ...

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #12476 on: January 15, 2022, 02:00:03 pm »
So, the only thing both Man Utd and Arsenal are missing is a competent CEO, a competent Director of Football and a competent Manager ...

Exactly.  The combination of all three decided Varane was a great signing for them.  Can you even imagine someone thinking that Varane would be a great signing?  Would have to be an imbecile, right?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #12477 on: January 15, 2022, 02:04:15 pm »
No, a competent manager for Utd.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12478 on: January 15, 2022, 02:09:22 pm »

Just like when we came back from that 0-3 deficit against Barcelona, right?

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12479 on: January 15, 2022, 02:20:29 pm »
Exactly.  The combination of all three decided Varane was a great signing for them.  Can you even imagine someone thinking that Varane would be a great signing?  Would have to be an imbecile, right?

Varane next to Maguire? Not so good. Varane next to Van Dijk? Much better. Varane is still a very good player, but he was never the defence leader at Real Madrid. He was always the wing-man of Ramos ...