Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD  (Read 3119933 times)

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - END GAME
« Reply #12360 on: January 14, 2022, 10:02:51 am »
Not at all. Salah not playing wasn't the reason we didn't win yesterday. The team in general spent 70 minutes not moving the ball quickly, not being direct enough and not making them defend. We shuffled them from side to side which is something we do all too often against low blocks, even with Salah on the pitch. Salah and Mane would provide us with the directness, but they are just world class players that any team would miss. We saw what we needed to do when Ox, Jones and Williams were on the pitch. Drive at them as soon as we get the ball, take them on and get a cross in wide areas. The team missed Salah, but it also missed Mane, it missed Thiago and it missed Keita. It even missed Origi who would have just found a good shot at any chance given.

Trent and Robertson were off form last night, which could be due to any reasons. Another day they put in some great crosses and corners, get shots in when there is space and Arsenal start to panic with the pressure. As it was Arsenal comfortable cleared away ball after ball at the near post, and watched us pass it from the defence out wide and back in again. Better players help, but we need to learn to be more aggressive and direct against a low block like that.
The players we have cannot play against a low block, it has been proven time and time and time again. Regardless of wether Salah stays or not we need more creativity , it’s so obvious I can’t believe some people don’t see it.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12361 on: January 14, 2022, 10:05:07 am »
Harvey Elliott's clearly been groomed to take that creative place in midfield, we just have to see how we recovers from the injury. In any case, I can't see us spending big on that position, simply because of that.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #12362 on: January 14, 2022, 10:06:25 am »
We could do with an extra body or two, and some players obviously aren’t at the level we thought they were. But if you’re going to fire off, have the balls to do it at everyone involved in the decision making process.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #12363 on: January 14, 2022, 10:08:08 am »
The players we have cannot play against a low block, it has been proven time and time and time again. Regardless of wether Salah stays or not we need more creativity , it’s so obvious I can’t believe some people don’t see it.

I tend to agree with that, it's not the same point I replied to originally  :)
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12364 on: January 14, 2022, 10:09:00 am »
Harvey Elliott's clearly been groomed to take that creative place in midfield, we just have to see how we recovers from the injury. In any case, I can't see us spending big on that position, simply because of that.

I reckon we will look for an all action midfielder who can do a bit of everything and play ahead of or in place of Fabinho and Henderson, keeping Jones, Elliott and Thiago as our attacking options. Think 2 of Milner, Keita and Ox get moved on.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #12365 on: January 14, 2022, 10:23:17 am »
I reckon we will look for an all action midfielder who can do a bit of everything and play ahead of or in place of Fabinho and Henderson, keeping Jones, Elliott and Thiago as our attacking options. Think 2 of Milner, Keita and Ox get moved on.

This is pretty much what Keita was meant to be when he signed. We need to get these transfers right now, and by that I mean sign players that are regularly available and ready to come in whenever needed. Far too often we have suffered injuries to our first team players and the squad player that should be stepping in has been injured too.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12366 on: January 14, 2022, 10:36:36 am »
There are no links and we won't sign anyone for the first team, is that fair?
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12367 on: January 14, 2022, 10:41:02 am »

We were never going to. We dont have money and no one appears to be leaving. Even if someone leaves, I reckon the odds of someone being signed are minimal short of maybe a youngster who wont be for the first team

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12368 on: January 14, 2022, 10:47:21 am »
Even if someone leaves, I reckon the odds of someone being signed are minimal short of maybe a youngster who wont be for the first team

They don't do Januaries as a rule.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12369 on: January 14, 2022, 10:50:36 am »

I'm generally of the view that if we are going to sign someone in January, we will know it by the first week. If it isn't extremely clear by that point, its a safe bet we won't. Loan/reactive stuff like Kabak can happen towards the end, but there was a fairly solid link throughout January
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12370 on: January 14, 2022, 11:06:32 am »

They can though, can't they? Pretty much every team we come up against plays a low block against us, and we're the highest scoring team in the League.

It's just every now and again, we go through ruts, obviously not helped by our two main attackers not playing. And when it does go wrong, it looks horrific.

And in general, playing against a low block of 10 rather than 11 can be difficult, as the opposition just gives up any semblance of trying to attack. Man City took until the 90th minute to breakdown a 10-man Arsenal, and they only managed a dodgy penalty against a 10-man Wolves. Minamino scores his chance yesterday and it would have been very similar to those two matches.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12371 on: January 14, 2022, 11:26:38 am »
we  cant play against a low block?
We have 2 games where we struggled against a low block.

So im not sure that is true.

Offline MD1990

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12372 on: January 14, 2022, 11:28:53 am »
we really lack pace in attack without Salah & Mane.
Gordon will provide it more so in the future still so young.

But Minamino isnt really good enough. Ox is a midfield player. Jota not lightening quick either more so a great goalscorer

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #12373 on: January 14, 2022, 11:35:50 am »
But Minamino isnt really good enough. Ox is a midfield player. Jota not lightening quick either more so a great goalscorer

You could argue Taki needs the game time of course but would have been nice to see Gordon come on and stay wide right and Jota left

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12374 on: January 14, 2022, 11:41:24 am »
You could argue Taki needs the game time of course but would have been nice to see Gordon come on and stay wide right and Jota left
No he doesn't. Clearly not good enough for us.

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12375 on: January 14, 2022, 11:51:18 am »
No he doesn't. Clearly not good enough for us.

I'm not sure he's a left sided attacker though, he's probably not good enough as you say but hard playing out of position

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12376 on: January 14, 2022, 11:54:46 am »
I'm not sure he's a left sided attacker though, he's probably not good enough as you say but hard playing out of position
He is slow off the mark, struggles to beat his man and will still get shoved off the ball. We need to stop wasting time on players that are clearly not good enough.

Offline MD1990

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12377 on: January 14, 2022, 12:07:08 pm »
He isnt good enough.
It has been clear for well over a year.

Physically not good enough for the PL.

Chelsea have better players out on loan nevermind in their squad.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12378 on: January 14, 2022, 12:08:54 pm »
He isnt good enough.

Chelsea have unlimited money, he's not good enough for the league but definitely more than good enough for a cup game

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12379 on: January 14, 2022, 12:11:19 pm »

Or Junes or Julys or Augusts.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12380 on: January 14, 2022, 12:13:36 pm »
Chelsea have unlimited money, he's not good enough for the league but definitely more than good enough for a cup game
Ok, they do but we should have better squad options than him.

Offline MD1990

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12381 on: January 14, 2022, 12:15:48 pm »
This is true.
But we need to find a way to compete since we wont be funded by a Coutinho type sale most likely.

Maybe we should start investing more in youth team players.
Get in some more players like Eliott & Gordon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12382 on: January 14, 2022, 12:15:59 pm »
Ok, they do but we should have better squad options than him.

Certainly :) although someone has to put money in for that and I'm not saying anything about that as this will become 600 pages of FSG chat as usual :D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12383 on: January 14, 2022, 12:18:31 pm »
This is true.
But we need to find a way to compete since we wont be funded by a Coutinho type sale most likely.

Maybe we should start investing more in youth team players.
Get in some more players like Eliott & Gordon

I'm not sure why Gordon didn't come on really, would have been. I guess most young players now just want EVERYTHING at like 19 years old, huge wages, guaranteed playing time etc, that's my thinking anyway. I think it gets harder and harder for us to find diamonds. Especially when City, Chelsea and probably now Newcastle will now out pay us

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #12384 on: January 14, 2022, 12:20:19 pm »

See, I agree with you but I don't understand it. It's not like the market is "closed". And it's not like we don't monitor and short-list players in the 12 months PRIOR to every January.

There isn't a huge amount of movement but there are talents out there who would move. More like, it is the "Sell to buy" factor. We don't have many buyers for who we are selling so
we have to leave it until the Summer to sort that out.

I know a lot of these arguments on there are circular and I don't see in any point it dishing out blame but we seem to be at least 2 players short of what we need. We suspected this in the summer and nearly everyone on here was worried and talking about AfCon then and look here we are; Bobby coming back off an injury, Jota done well desperately needed, Origi- knee injury (Klopp doesn't trust him anyway), Minamino - still doesn't look a good fit in our league.

Midfield? It is 2022 and we keep seeing James Milner and Henderson in the same midfield: something has gone wrong there in our long-term planning.

I'd say there are no solid links at all from us and I do find it surprising that many just passively accept, "Oh yeah, Liverpool won't bring anyone in". I always thought, as I learned from listening to Rafa Benitez that the market moves, so sometimes you get opportunities and you move. Us just saying No, no no no no and sitting on our hands is a disappointment.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12385 on: January 14, 2022, 12:24:44 pm »
See, I agree with you but I don't understand it.

It's Klopp. He's a 'squad contract' manager I reckon. He gets them together pre-season and tries to encourage the band of brothers (us against the world) mentality. So if there are injuries or whatever, he's already made a contract with them to 'for better or worse' it out, like a good marriage. The season we got to Kiev, it hurt us, and by the final we were wondering if we could recall Grujic and Harry Wilson on loan. We've had variants of it in every season bar the league win since that point. It's just how Klopp operates, and he doesn't tend to wheel and deal unless something unusual pops up (like Minamino, like Kabak/Davies). It's not like the club never did business in January before then - Coutinho and Sturridge and Suarez were transformational signings.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12386 on: January 14, 2022, 12:25:31 pm »
Surely everyone knew that before the window opened?

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12387 on: January 14, 2022, 12:30:41 pm »
It's Klopp. He's a 'squad contract' manager I reckon. He gets them together pre-season and tries to encourage the band of brothers (us against the world) mentality. So if there are injuries or whatever, he's already made a contract with them to 'for better or worse' it out, like a good marriage. The season we got to Kiev, it hurt us, and by the final we were wondering if we could recall Grujic and Harry Wilson on loan. We've had variants of it in every season bar the league win since that point. It's just how Klopp operates, and he doesn't tend to wheel and deal unless something unusual pops up (like Minamino, like Kabak/Davies). It's not like the club never did business in January before then - Coutinho and Sturridge and Suarez were transformational signings.

I get that and what you've put there is a really interesting explanation of his mentality. But we have to ask the question does he see the same game as us, and is he looking at Minamino, Origi etc and also thinking okay I've got Jota and Bobby in January and that will be enough? Why was he not saying in May/June, look guys I think we need another pacy wide-player and then we'll have options throughout the season and during AFCON especially?

I love the fact he was integrating Harvey Elliot in the right-side attacking mid role, that's great for us and a superior version of what football should be but at the same time, bring another midfielder in and don't pin yourself to a mast with Thiago/Ox/Keita leaving us vulnerable to inevitable stormy seas.

In other words--you've removed Gini's minutes and replaced them with Balsa wood!

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #12388 on: January 14, 2022, 12:31:17 pm »
We need a starting XI midfielder-- don't think Fab-Thiago-Hendo is a good fit, Hendo plays instead of Fab or Thiago for me, not with them-- and a Jota-level or better forward.

We hit quite a bit of form for the few games this trio was available.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12389 on: January 14, 2022, 12:37:26 pm »
we  cant play against a low block?
We have 2 games where we struggled against a low block.

So im not sure that is true.

we really lack pace in attack without Salah & Mane.
Gordon will provide it more so in the future still so young.

He isnt good enough.

I'm impressed with the consistency of the formatting of your posts.  That's it. 

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12390 on: January 14, 2022, 12:39:09 pm »
See, I agree with you but I don't understand it. It's not like the market is "closed". And it's not like we don't monitor and short-list players in the 12 months PRIOR to every January.

There isn't a huge amount of movement but there are talents out there who would move. More like, it is the "Sell to buy" factor. We don't have many buyers for who we are selling so
we have to leave it until the Summer to sort that out.

I know a lot of these arguments on there are circular and I don't see in any point it dishing out blame but we seem to be at least 2 players short of what we need. We suspected this in the summer and nearly everyone on here was worried and talking about AfCon then and look here we are; Bobby coming back off an injury, Jota done well desperately needed, Origi- knee injury (Klopp doesn't trust him anyway), Minamino - still doesn't look a good fit in our league.

Midfield? It is 2022 and we keep seeing James Milner and Henderson in the same midfield: something has gone wrong there in our long-term planning.

I'd say there are no solid links at all from us and I do find it surprising that many just passively accept, "Oh yeah, Liverpool won't bring anyone in". I always thought, as I learned from listening to Rafa Benitez that the market moves, so sometimes you get opportunities and you move. Us just saying No, no no no no and sitting on our hands is a disappointment.

It's not closed, but I think it gets harder and harder to buy well in January as you get better as a team. Despite polarising opinions on how the club is run and the wider nuances of investment/money etc - I think largely most of us on here are in agreement - We'd like another forward that's at least at Jota's level and we'd like a central midfielder, though I think the profile of that player is more debateable. The issue is finding players of the requisite quality that are available and at a reasonable price. That reasonable price fluctuates depending on player profile, but the main point is we're not going to, and I'd argue shouldn't, drastically overpay for a player because of a premium added by a selling club. So the challenge becomes - who can we find who's going to contribute for seasons to come who's available, affordable and better than what we currently have. I think the January window significantly reduces the number of players that fall into that category.

People may cite previous Januaries and bring up Virgil, Coutinho and Sturridge, but the first was a niche situation where we had all but tied the player down in the summer only to get bitch-slapped for boasting about it before Southampton buckled, but probably got a £10m premium on the price. If the signing is as a no-brainer as Virgil was, then I think the club pays it without thinking, but it's a very rare situation. Both of Sturridge and Coutinho were gambles for different reasons and ones we as a club were in much more need of in comparison to our current situation.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12391 on: January 14, 2022, 12:39:29 pm »
I get that and what you've put there is a really interesting explanation of his mentality. But we have to ask the question does he see the same game as us, and is he looking at Minamino, Origi etc and also thinking okay I've got Jota and Bobby in January and that will be enough? Why was he not saying in May/June, look guys I think we need another pacy wide-player and then we'll have options throughout the season and during AFCON especially?

I love the fact he was integrating Harvey Elliot in the right-side attacking mid role, that's great for us and a superior version of what football should be but at the same time, bring another midfielder in and don't pin yourself to a mast with Thiago/Ox/Keita leaving us vulnerable to inevitable stormy seas.

In other words--you've removed Gini's minutes and replaced them with Balsa wood!

No he doesn’t, and thank fuck for that!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12392 on: January 14, 2022, 12:55:13 pm »
No he doesn’t, and thank fuck for that!

That's true. Okay so let's be positive and see what we come up with. THEORY: we're losing Milner, Ox and Naby Keita in the summer. Replace them with TWO obtainable midfielders in June:

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #12393 on: January 14, 2022, 12:56:31 pm »

Most likely you are correct. There won't be any significant signings this window. We'll be looking at the summer but I reckon we won't do that much and it depends on who will can sell. We really should be selling some of the fringe players now so that we have some money to buy new.
#JFT97

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12394 on: January 14, 2022, 01:02:00 pm »
That's true. Okay so let's be positive and see what we come up with. THEORY: we're losing Milner, Ox and Naby Keita in the summer. Replace them with TWO obtainable midfielders in June:

Yeah sounds sensible. I’d probably prefer even just losing the first two, signing two more and keeping Naby.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #12395 on: January 14, 2022, 01:02:19 pm »
Most likely you are correct. There won't be any significant signings this window. We'll be looking at the summer but I reckon we won't do that much and it depends on who will can sell. We really should be selling some of the fringe players now so that we have some money to buy new.
Players leaving will free up wages but if signings are really dependent on outgoings then we are pretty stuffed. Unless we are all in for a shock and they sell Mo.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12396 on: January 14, 2022, 01:04:03 pm »

Like what Jeremy Irons said in the movie Margin Call, this is it. The music about to stop for FSG. Giving Mane, Firmino and Naby new contracts with a bigger salary would be stupid and at the same time can't see any club willing to give us good money for them so we can replace them and improve our midfield. They only way out is to sell Salah and do a mini rebuild but what happens if he decided to stay for another year and leave on free ?

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12397 on: January 14, 2022, 01:18:28 pm »

Most likely, even though I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of a late move, if the right opportunity presents itself. It seems that Zakaria is waiting for a move from LFC and Juventus, and is so far rejecting the big money offers from Man Utd and Newcastle ...

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #12398 on: January 14, 2022, 01:27:45 pm »
Like what Jeremy Irons said in the movie Margin Call, this is it. The music about to stop for FSG. Giving Mane, Firmino and Naby new contracts with a bigger salary would be stupid and at the same time can't see any club willing to give us good money for them so we can replace them and improve our midfield. They only way out is to sell Salah and do a mini rebuild but what happens if he decided to stay for another year and leave on free ?
I wondered after the Super League farce whether it was the beginning of them looking to get out. Followed up by renewal of contracts for high value assets but little external investment gave more rise to that belief and that maybe Redbird would be in the wings for a  bigger role but I think I was wrong about that.
I am not sure what their plan is but I think they will invest quite big in the summer. Letting things slide doesn't make financial sense.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #12399 on: January 14, 2022, 01:32:42 pm »
2 fucking players John, just 2 mate, don't have to be worldies, just a bit of refreshing of the squad, get people on their toes, something a bit different, doesn't have to break the bank