Author Topic: The Men in Suits behind the scenes  (Read 536837 times)

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: Michael Edwards set to become Liverpool's sporting director
« Reply #200 on: June 7, 2018, 11:05:51 pm »
and for those who called for a big name... look at monchi at roma, sold salah for peanuts.

Also the guy who was at Leicester and then failed at everton.

I don't think Steve Walsh was ever considered a 'big name' in sporting directors to be fair  ;D

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #201 on: June 7, 2018, 11:14:58 pm »
We've come a long way from Comolli, haven't we?
Incidentally, he was the one who brought Edwards to Liverpool.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: June 7, 2018, 11:34:08 pm »
Incidentally, he was the one who brought Edwards to Liverpool.

Probably his best bit of business! ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #203 on: June 7, 2018, 11:49:12 pm »
Just a few words in defence of Ian Ayre - he sorted the dale of the club to FSG to enable this. He oversaw the signings of Firmino and Klopp, and propelled the club into a place where all the financial deals he was being decried for have finally borne fruit. Good for him.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #204 on: June 7, 2018, 11:52:02 pm »

He wasn’t that bad. He needed to push back though, like the comittee did.

Now we have everyone singing off the same sheet and reaping the rewards. The manager has a plan that the scouts and spoting director can work to.

Hodgeson was a dinosaur. Kenny and Comolli fixed something that wasn’t really broke. Rodgers was going back to the drawing board a lot.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2018, 11:56:56 pm by Giono »
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #205 on: June 8, 2018, 03:17:51 am »

He wasn’t that bad. He needed to push back though, like the comittee did.

Now we have everyone singing off the same sheet and reaping the rewards. The manager has a plan that the scouts and spoting director can work to.

Hodgeson was a dinosaur. Kenny and Comolli fixed something that wasn’t really broke. Rodgers was going back to the drawing board a lot.

I think it has alot to do with Klopp's system. It's distinct, and you can see the exact kind of players that it calls out for. With Rodgers, he didn't have that, i think he was too young and hadn't decided what his ideal or perfect system was, and that made it a lot harder on the transfer side of things.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: June 8, 2018, 06:54:44 am »
Rodgers also didn't have the confidence to work with the system. I don't know if that's age or his personality. But with Klopp we're seeing a manager who trusts others to do their job. Also suspect Peter Moore is a key appointment -- the set-up is reminding far more of 'back in the day' despite the new technical roles; there's a quiet efficiency to it. No more photos with Fowler.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #207 on: June 8, 2018, 02:37:58 pm »
Rodgers also didn't have the confidence to work with the system. I don't know if that's age or his personality. But with Klopp we're seeing a manager who trusts others to do their job. Also suspect Peter Moore is a key appointment -- the set-up is reminding far more of 'back in the day' despite the new technical roles; there's a quiet efficiency to it. No more photos with Fowler.

Klopp is used to, and embraced, the structure.

Rodgers prefers the old ways where the manager is in charge and the chief scout answers to the manager, rather than the other way around, which is essentially what the DoF system is.

On a technical level, I like the new way, because I like metrics. On the other hand, if a manager is to be sacked (as most managers are, eventually), then let them be sacked on their own terms. Because the problem with the DoF system is that the DoF usually doesn't get sacked for getting transfers a bit wrong - the manager usually does, even if they didn't have much or any say in the transfers.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #208 on: June 8, 2018, 02:48:23 pm »
We need to give this guy a pay rise. Unless he signs Butland then he can forget about it  ;D
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: June 8, 2018, 02:59:03 pm »
Because the problem with the DoF system is that the DoF usually doesn't get sacked for getting transfers a bit wrong - the manager usually does, even if they didn't have much or any say in the transfers.
Tell that to Damien Comolli.  :D

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #210 on: June 8, 2018, 03:04:26 pm »

Rodgers didn't even try to work within this actual system mind, hence the clusterf*ck that was the transfer comittee. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the club likely should have had the structure set before emplying a new manager, and given an ultimatum as to how to work, rather than him saying 'nope won't work with a sporting director'. But anyway, thats been talked over and over of course.

And this is how Kloppo has always worked to great effect, so is very comfortable doing so, he's worked so well in the past with Heidel at Mainz and Zorc at Dortmund, and now it seems Edwards too.  And it's a normal way to work for coaches in other leagues.

I suspect more and more British managers will have to get used to this way of work, as more clubs over in the UK seem to be now using this structure.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: June 8, 2018, 04:08:05 pm »
Klopp is used to, and embraced, the structure.

Rodgers prefers the old ways where the manager is in charge and the chief scout answers to the manager, rather than the other way around, which is essentially what the DoF system is.

On a technical level, I like the new way, because I like metrics. On the other hand, if a manager is to be sacked (as most managers are, eventually), then let them be sacked on their own terms. Because the problem with the DoF system is that the DoF usually doesn't get sacked for getting transfers a bit wrong - the manager usually does, even if they didn't have much or any say in the transfers.

But.......with the lifespan of managers being 3-4 years these days it makes more sense to have a DOF so that there is continuity within the style and profile of players that are brought in year after year.  Ripping up the template and wasting millions of pounds anytime a manager changes doesn’t really make a lot of sense anymore. 

Offline BigJimFinn

• Main Stander
« Reply #212 on: June 8, 2018, 05:40:39 pm »
But.......with the lifespan of managers being 3-4 years these days it makes more sense to have a DOF so that there is continuity within the style and profile of players that are brought in year after year.  Ripping up the template and wasting millions of pounds anytime a manager changes doesn’t really make a lot of sense anymore.
And it is nowhere near 3-4 years. Klopp at 2,7 years is the fifth-longest serving manager in the Premier League, and only Pochettino was hired in the PL before him (Howe, Dyche and Houghton came up with their teams). If Conte leaves, there will only be 9 managers who have held their post longer than a season. Taking into consideration the insane cost of transfers and wages of a Premier League squad, the old 'Arry model is simply no longer sustainable.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #213 on: June 8, 2018, 08:11:54 pm »
Misunderstood genius.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #214 on: June 8, 2018, 08:21:13 pm »

Except what happens when you find out that the DOF is the problem.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #215 on: June 8, 2018, 08:33:51 pm »
He's doing a great job of identifying targets and negotiating a good price.

But Klopp is clearly the key to everything. Keita, VVD, and now Fekir have all reportedly made it clear they only wanted to play for Liverpool. That makes negotiating much easier obviously. You can identify great players all day long but you either need gobs of money or manager like Klopp to close the deal.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: June 9, 2018, 02:10:30 am »
Except what happens when you find out that the DOF is the problem.

Thankfully that’s nothing that we have to worry about right now.  We’ve got a sporting director and manager who are both reading from the same page. 

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: June 9, 2018, 02:36:02 am »
Our targeting has been on point for a while. Having a manager that can sell the vision is the ticker though. Edwards is clearly very good at his job though, given his relative youth, he is probably still learning on the job but obviously, he's got massive potential as he combines analytics knowledge with business knowledge and footballing experience having himself been a footballer before injury cut his career short. I'm sure he's learning from Klopp also. Hopefully he gets our summer signings over the line as it has been a while since we got all our first choice signings in the same window.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: June 9, 2018, 08:35:35 am »
and for those who called for a big name... look at monchi at roma, sold salah for peanuts.

Also the guy who was at Leicester and then failed at everton.

30m was a fair price though. Not peanuts. Think it was done before Neymar skewed the market.

And we all thought that we were buying a winger and for that price was actually quite a high sum. Some here were listening to the "expert" talkshit pundits and were moaning that we even overpaid.

Waiting for the Fekir deal to be done and i think that he have done a brilliant job. We shall see how he flogs off the deadwood and how much we could get back.

A major failure though was not getting emre contract extended. Maybe we should ayre back to do the negotiations ;D

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: June 9, 2018, 11:34:56 am »
30m was a fair price though. Not peanuts. Think it was done before Neymar skewed the market.

And we all thought that we were buying a winger and for that price was actually quite a high sum. Some here were listening to the "expert" talkshit pundits and were moaning that we even overpaid.

Waiting for the Fekir deal to be done and i think that he have done a brilliant job. We shall see how he flogs off the deadwood and how much we could get back.

A major failure though was not getting emre contract extended. Maybe we should ayre back to do the negotiations ;D

I hope people don't blame him if the Fekir deal doesn't happen as he's literally done his bit agreeing the fee etc. Also think many probably owe Graeme Kelly an apology on here. He was clearly right.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #220 on: June 9, 2018, 11:49:14 am »
Also think many probably owe Graeme Kelly an apology on here. He was clearly right.

That chancer can fuck off. He took a swing at it and got a hit, but then even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: June 9, 2018, 11:52:37 am »
Also think many probably owe Graeme Kelly an apology on here. He was clearly right.

:lmao

If Indykaila gets one thing right for once, are you going to start believing him too?

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: June 9, 2018, 11:55:14 am »
:lmao

If Indykaila gets one thing right for once, are you going to start believing him too?

I really don't get all the worship people who get the occasional thing right about the club get. If our players got the support this charlatan did, we'd be the best fans in the world.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: June 9, 2018, 11:57:54 am »
I really don't get all the worship people who get the occasional thing right about the club get. If our players got the support this charlatan did, we'd be the best fans in the world.

He got one thing right years ago and has been dining out on it ever since.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: June 9, 2018, 11:58:59 am »
That chancer can fuck off. He took a swing at it and got a hit, but then even a broken clock is right twice a day.

The guys a twat anyway. He clearly gets the odd bit of info but pads it with 95% bullshit, he’s also releasing info against the club’s wishes which is probably detrimental to the club so he can get fucked.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: June 9, 2018, 12:07:37 pm »
The guys a twat anyway. He clearly gets the odd bit of info but pads it with 95% bullshit, he’s also releasing info against the club’s wishes which is probably detrimental to the club so he can get fucked.

I think what he's guilty of is saying something is certain.

Like he'll hear something is agreed verbally between player and club and he'll say it's done.

Or Fekir has medical issue = it's off.

When it's usually not as back and white as that. For what it's worth I think after reading Reddys article Edwards will be back over there to renegotiate the fee based on appearances. Protects LFC whilst if stays fit Lyon get full amount.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: June 9, 2018, 12:07:49 pm »
I hope people don't blame him if the Fekir deal doesn't happen as he's literally done his bit agreeing the fee etc. Also think many probably owe Graeme Kelly an apology on here. He was clearly right.

Get to fuck. Guessing isn’t being correct. It’s like saying someone who guessed ‘heads’ on the flip of a coin knew it would be heads.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #227 on: June 9, 2018, 12:39:11 pm »

Not having that Craig, come on get real here this is a million to one occurrence. Unless Kelly has got inside knowledge of this there is no way he could of guessed that a player with a long standing widely known about knee injury may have trouble with a medical over the aforementioned knee. It is the stuff of Nostradamus mate.

With that I am off to tweet my new hero and ask him for tonight's winning Lotto numbers.

A short update he has mislaid the lotto numbers but as an act of good faith and to back up his soothsaying ability he has made an extraordinary prediction, told me Panama will not win the World Cup.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: June 9, 2018, 01:23:06 pm »

why would anyone blame Edwards if the fekir deal falls through? he did all he could and if its true the deal is off because of medical reasons, it takes some sort of mental gymnastics to put the blame on Edwards.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #229 on: June 9, 2018, 01:27:46 pm »

How do we know he is right? No one knows what's going on, it is why there are such conflicting reports out there. How anyone can say with any certainty what's going on at the moment is beyond comprehension. Only those involved actually know that.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: June 9, 2018, 01:39:27 pm »
Not having that Craig, come on get real here this is a million to one occurrence. Unless Kelly has got inside knowledge of this there is no way he could of guessed that a player with a long standing widely known about knee injury may have trouble with a medical over the aforementioned knee. It is the stuff of Nostradamus mate.

With that I am off to tweet my new hero and ask him for tonight's winning Lotto numbers.

A short update he has mislaid the lotto numbers but as an act of good faith and to back up his soothsaying ability he has made an extraordinary prediction, told me Panama will not win the World Cup.

Of course he could guess it was down to the medical, after the journos said the deal is done pending a medical, and there was a delay.

Haha. Fucking hell. Are you being contrarian deliberately, or are you just stupid?

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #231 on: June 9, 2018, 01:48:35 pm »
Of course he could guess it was down to the medical, after the journos said the deal is done pending a medical, and there was a delay.

Haha. Fucking hell. Are you being contrarian deliberately, or are you just stupid?

You may need one of these mate.

;D ;D
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #232 on: June 9, 2018, 01:48:46 pm »

Think he's having a joke mate  ;D

Online Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: June 9, 2018, 01:51:55 pm »
You may need one of these mate.

;D ;D

;D

Haha. I’ve had a fucking ‘mare.

Online Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: June 9, 2018, 01:53:00 pm »
Think he's having a joke mate  ;D

I know mate. I’m the fucking stupid one. Wtf. Must have drunk too much last night.

Online Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: June 9, 2018, 01:57:33 pm »
Sorry, Al.  :-X

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #236 on: June 9, 2018, 01:58:19 pm »
Sorry, Al.  :-X

No problems mate we have all done it.  ;D
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: June 9, 2018, 02:01:46 pm »
No problems mate we have all done it.  ;D

:D

I just really hate pricks like Graeme Kelly, which clouded my judgment of any nuance or sarcasm in your post.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #238 on: June 9, 2018, 02:08:59 pm »
:D

I just really hate pricks like Graeme Kelly, which clouded my judgment of any nuance or sarcasm in your post.

The only real Liverpool ITK is Durlmints, and that's because he's part of the scouting team, so it's a given really. He's the only ITK with 98% accuracy on his information. But don't take my word for it, why not subscribe to durlmintsLFCtransfernews.blogspot.com for only £49.99 a month?
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #239 on: June 9, 2018, 02:14:36 pm »
Just a few words in defence of Ian Ayre - he sorted the dale of the club to FSG to enable this. He oversaw the signings of Firmino and Klopp, and propelled the club into a place where all the financial deals he was being decried for have finally borne fruit. Good for him.

Well we all have opinions mine are not as rosy as yours :

Ayre was happy to assist Cecil and the two crooks in getting rid of Rafa, he changed his allegiances when he was told that the two crooks were to be got rid of,  he didnt sort out the deal for FSG three people were involved and he had the least status and say in the whole matter.
FSG called the shots later they got Klopp, not Ayre, Klopp got Firmino not Ayre, he was good at selling shirts but as a CEO he was a fucking disaster.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway