Author Topic: African Cup of Nations (AFCON)  (Read 138023 times)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: African Cup of Nations (AFCON) - Shite or Shazam?
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2020, 10:10:28 am »
Why is that?

Why not? - Like Australia playing in the Copa?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2020, 01:48:19 pm »
''We wont selll Sadio,Mo or Naby because of this, obviously not, but to bring any new players in from Africa, we have to consider that they will be unavailable for 4 weeks'' Klopp

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2020, 02:01:55 pm »
''We wont selll Sadio,Mo or Naby because of this, obviously not, but to bring any new players in from Africa, we have to consider that they will be unavailable for 4 weeks'' Klopp

Yeah, not surprising. If big clubs are less likely to buy African players becuase they'll lose them mid-season, it may well cause a serious rethink from the competition organisers.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2020, 02:05:45 pm »
Solve what problem exactly?

Wales
Golf
Sorting out AFCON
Madrid

In that order

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2020, 02:11:49 pm »
Klopp clearly not happy about this in the presser today.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2020, 02:20:07 pm »
Klopp clearly not happy about this in the presser today.

Understandably. And he's not being cynical about it, just showing compassion for the players. Being run into the ground to make a few rich c*nts richer. The competition is already an absolute shitshow. Having it so widely participated in and every two years is as cynical as it gets

Good footballers really need to take a collective stand - the balance of power is all wrong with international football

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2020, 02:22:12 pm »
Kloppo:
For us it’s a catastrophe.
If we say he can’t go, he’s suspended. How can the club who pay his salary not decide.
If he’s injured and we say he cannot play for us, we have to send him to Africa so they can have a look.
We don’t have any say. We just plan the route.
These are all things that should not be like this.
I speak about it now and no-one will listen.
The moaner from Liverpool again. It’s a complete waste of time.
As long as nothing changes, I will keep saying it.
It’s about the players, not me.

Love the 'moaner from Liverpool' line! Cos it's so true, the pricks in the media in England, and the angry fans of other clubs will say exactly that, even though he is 100% right.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2020, 07:42:52 pm »
Stupid corrupted organisation.

The only confederation I know that runs the international tournament every 2 years instead of the usual 4 and it involves everyone!

They have no player’s welfare in mind. All they want is to line their pockets.

Hope our African players just retire from international football.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2020, 07:46:20 pm »
Stupid corrupted organisation.

The only confederation I know that runs the international tournament every 2 years instead of the usual 4 and it involves everyone!

They have no player’s welfare in mind. All they want is to line their pockets.

Hope our African players just retire from international football.

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2020, 07:53:33 pm »
Enjoy the league win this season because we won’t repeat it next year.
Internet terrorist

Offline tornado

• ali
  • Kopite
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2020, 08:01:16 pm »
If the PL league winter break comes forward a little bit, then the impact is some what mitigated.

With current set up, club can arrange with countries to release players after the 1st PL match in January. There is  a FA came after that and if the PL break can be after the PL on the following weekend, that would help.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2020, 08:30:55 pm »

Might as well liquidate the club after this season, what's the point of even competing.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2020, 08:31:08 pm »

::)
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2020, 09:12:55 pm »
More and more organisations are realising they can just do whatever the fuck they want to make money and not only can clubs do nothing about it, but anyone who complains will just get ignored with the usual "you get paid millions to kick a ball about" logic.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2020, 09:28:04 pm »
The thing is that this policy will backfire in due course. Many African players Now move to Europe with their families and they’ll get better options to succeed. They will get dual nationality and The best ones will have to chose who to represent on international level, their home country or their host country. Considering that the best clubs will also prefer non-African players of same quality so they don’t lose them in the middle of a season, the players might be influenced to chose accordingly. That’s a viciously circle, and the African teams will lose top players that would otherwise represent them. And as Klopp said it, it’s worst for the players - if you are an African player, you have to be significantly better than your peers to play for a top club, equal is not enough...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2020, 09:38:01 pm »
The thing is that this policy will backfire in due course. Many African players Now move to Europe with their families and they’ll get better options to succeed. They will get dual nationality and The best ones will have to chose who to represent on international level, their home country or their host country. Considering that the best clubs will also prefer non-African players of same quality so they don’t lose them in the middle of a season, the players might be influenced to chose accordingly. That’s a viciously circle, and the African teams will lose top players that would otherwise represent them. And as Klopp said it, it’s worst for the players - if you are an African player, you have to be significantly better than your peers to play for a top club, equal is not enough...

True. Even on Football Manager, I've always made sure that if I have African players in my squads - they are XI players, preferrably star players and always pray that dual French-African nationals get picked for France. Most players of African nationality I've had were dual French nationals and played for France. In real life, that urge could be even stronger especially as the club money get more lucrative and therefore the stakes higher for players who come from poor backgrounds.
Linudden.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2020, 09:49:13 pm »
Jesus if like i didn't hate international football enough already.  :no

Think we reaching a breaking point for clubs when it comes to international football anyway. Players now are massive financial assets i can't see them putting up with it much longer.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:50:45 pm by Mister men »
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline #RedDawn2020

• Main Stander
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2020, 09:56:41 pm »
Shite.

No offense to African football in general, but having watched some AFCON matches this summer I have to say this is, from a sporting perspective, one of the most useless tournaments in current football. Aside from the initial excitement to watch a game such as Sambia vs Madagascar, I can not recommend watching a single game of this tournament and having it every two years doesn’t do it any favors. Aside of one or two outstanding players in the best teams, the majority Of players is not even Championship level. Don’t watch this, watch that (literally anything else).

I appreciate how important it is politically and socio-culturally for the most impoverished nations in Africa to see Sadio, and Kalidou, and Naby, and Mo and Rihad and so on performing and in some way giving back. I am not sure there is  lot of money in that competition either.

And every two years? That’s FIFA politics for you. I am sure FIFAs approval was given and the agreement will ensure Infantinos reign for the next couple of years.
“Intensity is our identity.”

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2020, 09:59:55 pm »
Jesus if like i didn't hate international football enough already.  :no

Think we reaching a breaking point for clubs when it comes to international football anyway. Players now are massive financial assets i can't see them putting up with it much longer.

I'm strongly considering boycotting the Qatar farce altogether even if Sweden's in it. International football is naturally biased to the large populaces anyway, so what's in it for me as a Swede regardless? Yeah, I know Sweden is really successful per capita but at the same time, the sky would have to fall down for them to win anything and they can't even put a Nordic Championship together so it's just... a massive meh. Not to mention, I don't like the government either and the national teams' successes are just used as PR for them.

Croatia being blatantly cheated in the final really drew down the curtain on international football for me. A World Cup win for either Belgium or Croatia, could've saved the tournaments' appeal, but instead it just felt bland.

The European Championship is a lot more unpredictable and fun I guess (Denmark, Greece and Portugal), but even it has been ruined by a pointless expansion.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 10:07:30 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline #RedDawn2020

• Main Stander
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2020, 10:16:07 pm »

The European Championship is a lot more unpredictable and fun I guess (Denmark, Greece and Portugal), but even it has been ruined by a pointless expansion.

Spot on. Used to be my favorite international competition. Short and sweet and full of surprises with a large number of high quality games with a total of 16 teams. In particular 96-08 saw a lot of nice games , the occasional shock for Germany or England and some worthy winners. The expanded competitions by FIFA and UEFA are just watering down the quality , resulting in an overall meh experience.
“Intensity is our identity.”

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2020, 10:17:20 pm »
I'm strongly considering boycotting the Qatar farce altogether even if Sweden's in it. International football is naturally biased to the large populaces anyway, so what's in it for me as a Swede regardless? Yeah, I know Sweden is really successful per capita but at the same time, the sky would have to fall down for them to win anything and they can't even put a Nordic Championship together so it's just... a massive meh. Not to mention, I don't like the government either and the national teams' successes are just used as PR for them.

Croatia being blatantly cheated in the final really drew down the curtain on international football for me. A World Cup win for either Belgium or Croatia, could've saved the tournaments' appeal, but instead it just felt bland.

I refuse to go to that part of the world.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2020, 11:12:38 pm »
It's not just AFCON's fault.

FIFA are planning their new expanded version of the Club World Cup that same summer.

So players like Mane, Keita, and Salah will finish the League season. Then have to be ready for the CWC. And after that AFCON.

By moving AFCON at least our African players should get some rest during the summer.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2020, 11:44:14 pm »
It's not just AFCON's fault.

FIFA are planning their new expanded version of the Club World Cup that same summer.

So players like Mane, Keita, and Salah will finish the League season. Then have to be ready for the CWC. And after that AFCON.

By moving AFCON at least our African players should get some rest during the summer.

It fucking is,every 2yrs is pure bollocks.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2020, 08:31:50 am »

I genuinely feel we should boycott this.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2020, 09:48:01 am »
I genuinely feel we should boycott this.

I heard Woodward and United had been insisting that the ECA clubs will boycott the new World Cup because it's placed during the off-season and contains too many games. Hopefully it's true, so the tournament never even gets off the ground.
Linudden.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2020, 09:49:33 am »
Can we not just ban Africa and the other less well off federations and just use their players when we want?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2020, 09:50:57 am »

It will force us to go into the market and sign another attacker. Werner's low buyout clause of around 30 million euros, mind?
Linudden.

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2020, 12:06:25 pm »
Yes, it’s getting ridiculous.

The levels of self-interest and corruption are such that the clubs must surely, and inevitably, get together and create some sort of ultimatum.

International football as it stands, is as guilty as any other organisation of putting money first and players’ welfare a poor second. Some International organisations have been guilty of sending players back to their clubs - particularly “key” players - crocked. It’s entirely evident why, the temptation to pursue glory over welfare is too great.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2020, 12:56:22 pm »
Yes, it’s getting ridiculous.

The levels of self-interest and corruption are such that the clubs must surely, and inevitably, get together and create some sort of ultimatum.

International football as it stands, is as guilty as any other organisation of putting money first and players’ welfare a poor second. Some International organisations have been guilty of sending players back to their clubs - particularly “key” players - crocked. It’s entirely evident why, the temptation to pursue glory over welfare is too great.

In reality, it should be quite easy. The Premier League clubs demanding that the FA refuse to suspend any players the clubs withdraw from international duty to Afcon. What are the FA supposed to do then if every single club write to them? They all have an interest in being able to utilize African players.
Linudden.

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
AFCON 2022
« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2020, 02:09:34 pm »
Thankfully its been switched to 2022.

"After a meeting on Tuesday afternoon, the Confederation of African Football has made the decision to move the upcoming Afcon to January 2022.

This decision follows UEFA's decision to move the 2020 European Championship to next year, and CONMEBOL's decision to delay the 2020 Copa America to 2021 too."

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
Re: AFCON 2022
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2020, 02:15:26 pm »
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2020, 02:19:18 pm »
Hallelujah

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2020, 02:51:02 pm »
World Cup and Afcon in the same year will be  a huge pain in the arse for the African players and the fitness personnel the club though. We will have to let them off league games for 3 to 4 months. Otherwise the burnout will be epic. 

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2020, 02:51:57 pm »
World Cup and Afcon in the same year will be  a huge pain in the arse for the African players and the fitness personnel the club though. We will have to let them off league games for 3 to 4 months. Otherwise the burnout will be epic.

3-4 months? Don’t be hyperbolic.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2020, 02:52:06 pm »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2020, 02:56:16 pm »

Exactly.

It’s just an extra problem for the season after though. Considering we’ll probably be without Salah, Mané and Naby for 6-9 months because of the AFCON.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2020, 02:56:55 pm »
That's massive for us. Absolutely huge. 2022 will be crazy for Mane and Salah (assuming their respective countries qualify for the world cup finals) but we've got a year to plan for that.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2020, 02:57:45 pm »
Good for the immediate future, as less pressure of bring in replacements, but losing our 3 African players for a full year at the AFCON the next season will be terrible.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2020, 02:59:36 pm »
So the "they'll be fucked without Mane and Salah, they can't repeat it again next season" etc, etc celebrations from other clubs have been put on hold?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2020, 03:00:06 pm »
We’re gonna be extra fucked when Firmino and Alisson go on their 18 month hiatus for the Copa America. No wonder we don’t want Coutinho back.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.