Author Topic: FSG (*)  (Read 832217 times)

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
Re: FSG
« Reply #3440 on: February 8, 2017, 02:33:18 pm »
There's an excuse for every single one of them isn't there.

None of them seem to include us not offering enough money to convince them to come to L4.

Odd.
You're just seeing what you want to see at this point. A few of us just mentioned we could have got some of them (Alli, Williams, Vorm, Chilwell ... maybe Dahoud, fuck, I'll give you Sanchez, even though I think he simply preferred Arsenal over us).

If we bid for a midfielder next season, and he ends up going to Bayern Munich, are you going to get pissed at FSG? It's just not logical.

Fuck, some blame them for selling Suarez, even though he kicked up a fuss about us not selling to Arsenal. Then Barca came knocking.

I think FSG deserve criticism where its due. Blaming them for not signing Costa, Gotze and Texeira though .. well it's just silly
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3441 on: February 8, 2017, 03:02:51 pm »
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/253548-reds-appoint-new-marketing-director

Liverpool FC have today appointed a new marketing director to develop and grow the club globally.

Markus Breglec has taken on the newly created role.

Prior to joining the Reds, Breglec held a senior position with consumer electronics company HTC and has over 19 years’ experience devising strategies for globally recognised brands such as Nike, Sony and Adidas.

He led the global award-winning sponsorship strategy for HTC’s partnership with the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League.

The new marketing director will create strategies to drive growth, inspire innovation and foster collaboration. Fan engagement will be fundamental to this new role and Breglec will call upon his experience across sports and consumer electronics.

Billy Hogan, LFC's managing director and chief commercial officer, said: “Marketing is a critical element of our commercial success and ultimately grows the club which enables us to support our on pitch ambitions. The primary focus for Markus will be to bring the club closer to our hundreds of millions of fans around the world. He has proven expertise which makes him a leader in his field and we’re delighted that he will be joining us.”

Breglec added: “I am very excited to join Liverpool FC and with it the greatest and most deeply connected football family. The Reds are the beating heart in world club football with an unprecedented fan connection, amazing history and great future ahead. I very much look forward to further help grow the club, drive innovation and engage supporters globally.”

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3442 on: February 8, 2017, 03:03:04 pm »

None of them seem to include us not offering enough money to convince them to come to L4.

Odd.

Is it not  odd than you are suggesting money is the reason for these signings not happening, yet overlooking just as probable reasons ?

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3443 on: February 8, 2017, 03:08:49 pm »
Is it not  odd than you are suggesting money is the reason for these signings not happening, yet overlooking just as probable reasons ?

That *is* the probable reason though, isnt it?

The Manchester clubs dont seem to suffer through not being in London, strangely, nor do Man Utd suffer through not being in the CL much either in landing their top targets.

Won£er why that is?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #3444 on: February 8, 2017, 03:10:23 pm »

The Manchester clubs dont seem to suffer through not being in London, strangely, nor do Man Utd suffer through not being in the CL much either in landing their top targets.

Won£er why that is?

How do United offer players so much money?

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3445 on: February 8, 2017, 03:14:07 pm »

Won£er why that is?

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Of course its money when it comes to the two Manchester clubs.

And current or relatively recent success, both of which have had more than us unfortunately.

Question - do you expect us to compete financially for deals with either?
Do you expect us to pay the wages they pay to get players even if said players are not overly enthusiastic about signing them?

If as expected we can't offer what those teams offer and is the blatant reason they sign higher profile players, why are you comparing them to us?

Offline Obviously

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3446 on: February 8, 2017, 03:15:46 pm »

What you earlier called a lose-lose situation isn't actually that. Everytime they "back the manager" they simply spend what we got from Sterling or Suarez, they don't really invest, they simply offer the least they can get away with.

We can't compete with the top clubs for players at the moment because of two reasons. 1. We're finishing 5-8 position in the league every year. 2. We cant offer the money needed, both wage and transfer. One can go the Man City/Chelsea way and overpay for players until you successful, or you can build from the bottom like Atletico Madrid by making shrewd signings.

Right now we're doing neither. We are failing at every front. We failed on Dele Alli because we tried being clever on wages and transfer fee (Tony Evans), and according to the media we pissed Udinese off trying to negotiate a fee for Zielinski. The academy is decent, but not compared to other clubs. Our scouting is really poor, when was the last time we picked up a player who turned out great? Suarez is the only one i can remember. We just sign who other premier league clubs signed a year or two earlier for 3 times the price they paid. Or players that had a decent cup game against us(Bogdan), or a player that doesn't fit at all like Benteke, just because he bullied Skrtel and scored every time we played Villa.

The main problem with FSG is that after 7 years they have still haven't hired competent football people, and built that part of the club. We don't spend the money, we're not being clever, what are we doing?

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #3447 on: February 8, 2017, 03:21:52 pm »

Odd.

I swear to God if I see one more person say Sanchez went to Arsenal because of London I'm going to chuck my monitor out the fucking window!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3448 on: February 8, 2017, 03:25:32 pm »
We've signed Breglec  8)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3449 on: February 8, 2017, 03:25:42 pm »

Odd.

You make good points about players we missed out. Cracking memory btw.

I have always thought the wanting to live in London thing is BS. Doesn't stop the Manchester clubs and it didn't stop Newcastle or Leeds back in the 90s/00s either. It is about wages first and foremost. 

I do think FSG have to be more sensible about wages. Sanchez would have been worth paying those wages I think. It is always a risk, but you have to be prepared to take them with your top targets.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3450 on: February 8, 2017, 03:38:37 pm »
FSG's main problem is they haven't got a clue about football.

A strong CEO in summer may help them more than they think.

It will however be an American Ian Ayre who they will hire. Just watch
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3451 on: February 8, 2017, 03:38:46 pm »

I do think FSG have to be more sensible about wages. Sanchez would have been worth paying those wages I think. It is always a risk, but you have to be prepared to take them with your top targets.

This is exactly it, but the bottom line is that if they're not prepared to pay top wages to attract the top talent we require to progress as a football team, then they have no business owning Liverpool Football Club without at least an investment group supporting them.

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #3452 on: February 8, 2017, 03:39:29 pm »
What you earlier called a lose-lose situation isn't actually that. Everytime they "back the manager" they simply spend what we got from Sterling or Suarez, they don't really invest, they simply offer the least they can get away with.

We can't compete with the top clubs for players at the moment because of two reasons. 1. We're finishing 5-8 position in the league every year. 2. We cant offer the money needed, both wage and transfer. One can go the Man City/Chelsea way and overpay for players until you successful, or you can build from the bottom like Atletico Madrid by making shrewd signings.

Right now we're doing neither. We are failing at every front. We failed on Dele Alli because we tried being clever on wages and transfer fee (Tony Evans), and according to the media we pissed Udinese off trying to negotiate a fee for Zielinski. The academy is decent, but not compared to other clubs. Our scouting is really poor, when was the last time we picked up a player who turned out great? Suarez is the only one i can remember. We just sign who other premier league clubs signed a year or two earlier for 3 times the price they paid. Or players that had a decent cup game against us(Bogdan), or a player that doesn't fit at all like Benteke, just because he bullied Skrtel and scored every time we played Villa.

The main problem with FSG is that after 7 years they have still haven't hired competent football people, and built that part of the club. We don't spend the money, we're not being clever, what are we doing?

Agree on the academy since I think a major part of this teams problems is lack of scouse.

Disagree on the scouting. They've done an ok job, players don't need to turn out great, they need to fit a system. Matip Sturridge Coutinho Lallana Clyne Firmino Wijnaldum are all very good players to name a few. Let's not forget Benteke was signed to fit a philosophy of play as well. Balotelli Aspas and Moses are all good players, just that they didn't work out for varying reasons. Markovic was supremely highly rated. And all the players - Sanchez costa mkhitaryan etc who the club wanted to sign but ultimately didn't were all scouted and were good players as well.

About signing players 2-3 years TOP late - my sense is that Liverpool FC (and the fans) considers itself to be one of the clubs at the top  of the food chain in England. Historically, rightly so. That's the reason the club can't sign a Kante or a Mahrez in isolation. One would argue they wouldn't even be given the chance to develop as they have at Leicester. Same with Mane at Southampton, or even Clyne - you wouldn't have seen Glen Johnson, who was acclaimed as the best right back in the league Not so Long ago (see Glen Johnson - Mk II thread), displaced by a younger clyne who developed his game at Soton. Plus over the last few years the club has seen a raft of its highly rated youngsters (Suso, Pacheco and Wisdom) leave contributing to a lack of squad depth.

It's a fine line, transfers, because they need to rejuvenate the first team as well as sign punts for back up, which is what appears to have been done in recent windows (see Mane, Matip, Lovren, Clyne, Lallana, Benteke for the former, and Grujic, Markovic, arguably Karius for the latter). Swing too much for the former and fan favourites get alienated, and academy products get hindered in their development. Swing too much towards the latter and fans get impatient when they inevitably make mistakes, resulting in yet another transition year.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #3453 on: February 8, 2017, 03:40:16 pm »
I propose a move from bed wetting/ers and move to Knickers in a Twister, Fanny on a fret, Quim Waggler, Piss-Flap whisperer and such like.
I second a move to Fretting Fannies but also offer up Quivering Quims! ;D

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3454 on: February 8, 2017, 03:42:17 pm »

Hopefully yeah, he'll certainly look more legit on a Harley.

Be a bit annoyed if they hire an American Ian Ayre who then starts driving around a Morris Minor.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3455 on: February 8, 2017, 03:44:24 pm »
I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Of course its money when it comes to the two Manchester clubs.

And current or relatively recent success, both of which have had more than us unfortunately.

Question - do you expect us to compete financially for deals with either?
Do you expect us to pay the wages they pay to get players even if said players are not overly enthusiastic about signing them?

If as expected we can't offer what those teams offer and is the blatant reason they sign higher profile players, why are you comparing them to us?

I expect if we want to compete with them, we'll have to.

If we're saying we can't match Chelsea/Man Utd/City/Arsenal in terms of money offered to playing staff then we'll always miss out on players to at least 1 of those clubs and more often than not we'll finish behind them.

Which is fine, its expected.

What's not fine is the owners telling us they can compete with anyone and that even though we dont compete this approach will yield success anyway, because all evidence suggests it wont.

The nature of fandom is that we dont want to admit, recognise, or see that. We'll lie to ourselves and we'll believe that we *can* upset the status quo.

Why? Because the alternative is accepting the mediocrity we're currently in and the acceptance that it wont change any time soon unless the approach changes with it.

There's always next season, always next summer, always a chance to lie to ourselves.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #3456 on: February 8, 2017, 03:50:04 pm »
I expect if we want to compete with them, we'll have to.

If we're saying we can't match Chelsea/Man Utd/City/Arsenal in terms of money offered to playing staff then we'll always miss out on players to at least 1 of those clubs and more often than not we'll finish behind them.

Which is fine, its expected.

What's not fine is the owners telling us they can compete with anyone and that even though we dont compete this approach will yield success anyway, because all evidence suggests it wont.

The nature of fandom is that we dont want to admit, recognise, or see that. We'll lie to ourselves and we'll believe that we *can* upset the status quo.

Why? Because the alternative is accepting the mediocrity we're currently in and the acceptance that it wont change any time soon unless the approach changes with it.

There's always next season, always next summer, always a chance to lie to ourselves.

I get your point but I'd rather the owners live within their means and make sure the club is stable.

It's all well and good seeing we can compete with this that and whoever...but we can't. Fact.

City have a Sheik, Chelsea have an Oligarch, Arsenal have one also and a billionaire American.

What we have is a consortium that wants to run as as a business, stable, etc... now that might not be immediate success but long term it ensures a steady club, longevity and stability, all this pays off, Chelsea and City especially would get fucked if any sort of real FFP came into effect, they are just pumped full of money, City especially sponsored by attrocious amounts by a company that is actually owned by their owners family, it's all bollocks.

Anyway, we simply don't have that and i know as fans we want success and we want it now, god damn I want it to but I also am realistic and I know we do not have the money the others have, so we have to use it smart and buy smart, I think we have a manager that can do that.

I believe we are headed in the right direction, I also know we're not a quick fix.

Like I said, if you want us to bash out £60-80M on a player I am afraid you'll be disappointed for a looooooooong time.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #3457 on: February 8, 2017, 03:50:36 pm »
And round and round we go... most of the arguments on here go as follows

FSG won't buy the top players -> counter -> those players preferred to go elsewhere -> counter -> if FSG offered enough money they would come -> counter -> where is your evidence for that? -> counter -> here is a list of players that went elsewhere -> counter -> they all went to richer clubs in the CL -> counter -> rubbish, it's because FSG lack ambition and won't spend the money -> counter -> where is your evidence for that? -> counter -> FSG won't buy the top players

I mean seriosuly, come on, this is a waste of time. People need to accept Liverpool are not the draw they once were and do not have the money to overcome that barrier. So FSG are doinga  spurs and building the club back up over time. It's a slow build and has, to date, shown steady progress.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #3458 on: February 8, 2017, 03:51:44 pm »
I have always thought the wanting to live in London thing is BS. Doesn't stop the Manchester clubs and it didn't stop Newcastle or Leeds back in the 90s/00s either. It is about wages first and foremost. 
It's not BS. It is a factor. It is not the only factor.

Man U and Man City are offering European football on a regular basis, but still have to pay  more than  Chelsea and Arsenal to land their targets.

The relative degree of player wealth now is far greater now than in the days of Leeds and Newcastle's flirtation with the top. It is far easier for high earning players to be anonymous around London than in the North West, and the French, Italian and Hispanic communities, including schooling can be stronger too.

Paying top money does still work, but paying it outside of CL revenues can be ruinous, particularly when other team members may have highest earner/parity clauses in their contracts.
http://www.totalsportek.com/money/english-premier-league-wage-bills-club-by-club/

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #3459 on: February 8, 2017, 03:51:54 pm »
I mean seriously, come on, this is a waste of time.

People need to accept Liverpool are not the draw they once were and do not have the money to overcome that barrier. So FSG are doing a spurs and building the club back up over time.

It's a slow build and has, to date, shown steady progress.

This. Pretty much what I was trying to say but put better than I did.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3460 on: February 8, 2017, 03:52:12 pm »
Its the Diego Costa deal that really disappointed me. A quality player with a reasonable release clause who would've come to us for the right wages, and no club to compete against for the signing. Yet we cheaped out. And it might've cost us a title.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3461 on: February 8, 2017, 03:53:48 pm »
Its the Diego Costa deal that really disappointed me. A quality player with a reasonable release clause who would've come to us for the right wages, and no club to compete against for the signing. Yet we cheaped out. And it might've cost us a title.

To play with Suarez?!

We'd have set the record for suspensions

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3462 on: February 8, 2017, 03:54:34 pm »
or, you know, papers be bullshitting.
Its bullshit when one or two do it (Mail and Daily Star in particular). Its a club briefing when all outlets come up with the same story at the same time.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3463 on: February 8, 2017, 03:54:52 pm »

Sadly according to FSG's media friends the choice of CEO is pretty irrelevant because he is going to have less of a role on the football side than his predecessors.

We now have a Sporting Director in Edwards who is in charge of the Football side of things. A button pusher/video analyst with no experience of running a Club or even negotiating transfers.

So for me given FSG's the brightest and best don't work in Football we will end up with someone like a Jen Chang appointment someone who has never worked in Football.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3464 on: February 8, 2017, 03:55:08 pm »

I mean seriosuly, come on, this is a waste of time. People need to accept Liverpool are not the draw they once were and do not have the money to overcome that barrier. So FSG are doinga  spurs and building the club back up over time. It's a slow build and has, to date, shown steady progress.

I agree with a lot of the sentiment, but has there really been steady progress? The season they bought us we finished 6th. We have finished higher than that once since... which is pretty bloody depressing now I come to think of it.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3465 on: February 8, 2017, 03:55:14 pm »
To play with Suarez?!

We'd have set the record for suspensions
Just as well we would've still had a peak Sturridge for back up

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #3466 on: February 8, 2017, 03:56:38 pm »
So FSG are doing a  spurs and building the club back up over time. It's a slow build and has, to date, shown steady progress.
Spurs are building a new stadium that will be the biggest club stadium in London, and the second biggest in England. Their commercial and gate revenues will soon overtake ours. FSG have managed a stand.

FSG are not "doing a Spurs", they are watching while yet another club overtakes us in their ability to compete for the PL and CL.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3467 on: February 8, 2017, 03:59:50 pm »

There's little chance we'd have signed Costa and kept Suarez under this regime.

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3468 on: February 8, 2017, 04:00:35 pm »
Sadly according to FSG's media friends the choice of CEO is pretty irrelevant because he is going to have less of a role on the football side than his predecessors.

We now have a Sporting Director in Edwards who is in charge of the Football side of things. A button pusher/video analyst with no experience of running a Club or even negotiating transfers.

So for me given FSG's the brightest and best don't work in Football we will end up with someone like a Jen Chang appointment someone who has never worked in Football.

I posted this yesterday. Would be interested in your response to the question- what would everyone's three priorities be for the next 12 months?

Its going round in circles here and retreading a lot of ground on the past- most would agree we've done well on the business side but must do better on the football side (both on and off the pitch).

What would everyone's three priorities be for the next 12 months? Mine would be, in order:

1) Appoint a new CEO before the summer with experience in this role at a successful football club. Someone with the skills, temperament and know-how on running the day-to-day operations of a club that is focussed on improving on field results and winning trophies.
2) Significant investment in the playing squad this summer. We need to bring in a number of quality players, its time to utilise the benefits of the increase in commercial activities to increase player recruitment. We need to be putting £80m+ net into the team this summer.
3) A decision on the Anfield Road End expansion. After the negative news from Henry it was better to hear about the comments to the Supporters Committee and looking at 62/63k. Hopefully we can also get some naming rights involvement to speed up repayment and free cash for investment on the pitch.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3469 on: February 8, 2017, 04:03:06 pm »
I agree with a lot of the sentiment, but has there really been steady progress? The season they bought us we finished 6th. We have finished higher than that once since... which is pretty bloody depressing now I come to think of it.

The progress FSG have made has pretty much been progress in areas they actually care about, areas which increase the value of their asset.

The stadium, the marketability, the income from commercial revenues.

Genuine progress has been made in all of those areas.

Very little to no progress has been made on the pitch, that is unless their last throw of the dice in Klopp can pull a miracle out of the bag.

Bought themselves a few more years good grace whilst they let him try.

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3470 on: February 8, 2017, 04:10:01 pm »
The progress FSG have made has pretty much been progress in areas they actually care about, areas which increase the value of their asset.

Very little to no progress has been made on the pitch, that is unless their last throw of the dice in Klopp can pull a miracle out of the bag.

Same question to you as to Al, in their position what would your three priorities be for the next 12 months?

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3471 on: February 8, 2017, 04:10:42 pm »

Last throw of the dice?

Its pretty clear Rodgers was their first roll of the dice that wasnt forced upon them, so this is their second roll of the dice.

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3472 on: February 8, 2017, 04:11:01 pm »

Not going to lie, appointing Edwards in that role shows they haven't or won't change/learn.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3473 on: February 8, 2017, 04:15:35 pm »
Just as well we would've still had a peak Sturridge for back up

I'd prefer a flan.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3474 on: February 8, 2017, 04:20:22 pm »
Same question to you as to Al, in their position what would your three priorities be for the next 12 months?

Their only priority should be giving him the players he asks for, his no1 targets. Not his no2 or no3. That's it.

Getting Klopp and then not giving him Dahoud/Pulisic/Goetze/Chilwell/Draxler is a pointless enterprise. Give him what he asks for.

And if he for some reason says "nah that's too much for that player actually" challenge him on it or buy them anyway.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3475 on: February 8, 2017, 04:27:20 pm »
And round and round we go... most of the arguments on here go as follows

FSG won't buy the top players -> counter -> those players preferred to go elsewhere -> counter -> if FSG offered enough money they would come -> counter -> where is your evidence for that? -> counter -> here is a list of players that went elsewhere -> counter -> they all went to richer clubs in the CL -> counter -> rubbish, it's because FSG lack ambition and won't spend the money -> counter -> where is your evidence for that? -> counter -> FSG won't buy the top players

They inherited a Club who had been in two Champions League finals in 5 years. One of the biggest brands in World Sport. The 8th richest Club in the World. A Club that had no trouble attracting players like Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, Reina, Agger etc.

They joined because we were an ambitious Club with a manager determined to get us to the very top. Since then it is FSG who have constantly talked us down, looked to lower expectations at every turn and settled for mediocrity.

The bullshit they come out with is unreal my favourite being that Sanchez turned us down because his wife wanted to live in London, he is not and has never been married yet we swallowed their bullshit, smiled and said maybe next summer.

Even Wenger said he thought he had no chance with Sanchez because basically not even Liverpool could fuck a deal up involving Suarez and Sanchez . No one wants to live up North as an excuse is fucking laughable when you see the number of Brazilians happily plying their trade in Russia and places like the Ukraine etc.

Another favourite is schizophrenic FSG leaking one minute that they matched the wages for player A that rival bidders offered but they turned us down, whilst at the same time telling us how clever they are with their performance related pay. We make daft promises in transfer negotiations about players joining on bread and water terms with the promise of jam later.

As a player would you join a Club trusting in you and prepared to offer the going rate upfront or would you join LFC hoping they will keep their word. Especially when you have JWH going on US TV with his buddies telling everyone about Suarez having a buy out clause but us just ignoring it.

If you want to build then you need hugely ambitious players to get you there and you have to accept that if you fail to keep your end of the bargain about going forward and becoming a force then players are going to want to leave. You have to accept that with grace get the best fee you can and move on. Unfortunately FSG are so weak and so PR conscious that if you want to leave even if they are happy to rake in the cash then the player has to be crucified in public so that teflon John and the rest of FSG can keep up their image.

We don't compete at the top end of the market which you can possibly make a case for but to make that case then you have to have a sound structured football model. Say going for the players slightly below that level with potential. Pretty much what Sevilla have done with Monchi. Their model is that to attract the players they want they are prepared to pay big wages, bigger wages than they can actually afford which means they accept they will have to sell players just to fund the wage bill. FSG do the opposite they try and pay players below the going rate with a promise of jam later.

If you aren't going to compete at that level then you need to bring players through your academy and poach players from other academies. The way you do that is buy offering them bigger wages. like we did with Sterling. What do FSG do they impose a salary Cap on youth players. Haven't they learned from the Dele Alli fiasco.

In short our business model seems to be not to compete but to overpay the likes of Newcastle and Southampton for average to good Premiership proven players. The real irony is that getting done over for the likes of Carroll, Gini, Lallana, Lovren, Mane, Lambert etc is somehow seen as FSG having ambition.

It isn't it is a sign that FSG haven't got a clue, have a terrible scouting network and resort to overpaying when they are under the cosh.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2017, 04:29:18 pm by Al 555 »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3476 on: February 8, 2017, 04:39:19 pm »
Not going to lie, appointing Edwards in that role shows they haven't or won't change/learn.

Yep just when you thought it was impossible to find a less qualified DoF / Sporting Director than Comolli they pull it off.

Clearly Edwards doesn't have the background to be making huge decisions and with the CEO not being involved who does that leave ?

FSG and who better to help out JWH and co who know nothing about football than an analyst who according to some members of the press got this job because of his ability to analyse games and break it down into a form JWH could understand. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Kop 81

• Spineless.
  • Kopite
  • We've got KLOPP!
« Reply #3477 on: February 8, 2017, 04:40:11 pm »
FSG need to prize Rafa away from Newcastle and put him in charge of transfers.  He has an eye for players and knows exactly what's needed at this club.

Basically make him DoF.

Let Jurgen do all of the coaching - he's the best in the business at coaching players and getting the best out of them.  But look at all the signings Rafa made without money - gems like Alonso, Masch, Torres.  We haven't had that calibre since apart from Suarez.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3478 on: February 8, 2017, 04:41:27 pm »
FSG need to prize Rafa away from Newcastle and put him in charge of transfers.  He has an eye for players and knows exactly what's needed at this club.

Basically make him DoF.

Let Jurgen do all of the coaching - he's the best in the business at coaching players and getting the best out of them.  But look at all the signings Rafa made without money - gems like Alonso, Masch, Torres.  We haven't had that calibre since apart from Suarez.

Rafa signed some extremely mediocre players as well. There are people out there in the game with a much better eye for talent and experience in that type of role.

Move forward.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3479 on: February 8, 2017, 04:42:47 pm »

Basically make him DoF.

:-X