Author Topic: Liverpool has lost it's world heritage status!  (Read 38458 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Liverpool has lost it's world heritage status!
« on: November 22, 2011, 12:37:21 pm »
LIVERPOOL will lose its World Heritage Site status if a £5.5bn skyscraper plan goes ahead without “radical” changes, Unesco inspectors have warned.

Last week’s three-day Unesco inspection “could not have gone any worse”, a top level source has revealed.

They added that the inspectors, led by Ron van Oers, had left the city with “100%” clear guidance that unless Peel’s Liverpool Waters project is radically changed they will recommend the city be stripped of the World Heritage accolade.

At one point during the visit the usually mild mannered Dutchman Mr van Oers was so angered by the plans he stormed: “This goes too far”.

It is understood initial steps would see the inspectors issuing a recommendation to the World Heritage Committee that Liverpool be put on the list of World Heritage in Danger.

Once work then starts on Peel’s huge scheme to regenerate the city’s northern docklands the city would be stripped of its status, which was only granted in 2004.

The inspectors’ report will be written by December 23 and will be sent to Liverpool council and Peel within two to four weeks.

Unesco’s World Heritage Committee will vote on its findings in June.

Ian Pollitt, a Peel director, said: “We were given a fair crack of the whip and thought it went well.”

The company has previously said it will not compromise any further on the scheme, having already dramatically reduced the number of skyscrapers.

Speaking during the inspection visit, Mr van Oers warned Unesco’s decision will have significant implications for cities around the world.

“The way that the World Heritage Committee will eventually rule about this case is going to be part of case law that is going to be used by the World Heritage Committee later on.”

The way the inspection went puts Liverpool council in a difficult position.

The city’s planning committee is expected to consider the planning application for the scheme early in the new year. If the committee approves the scheme – as it stands at the moment, in the face of opposition from Unesco – it almost guarantees that a public inquiry will have to be held into the scheme.

Dresden lost its World Heritage Site status in 2009 after building a bridge over the Elbe river.

It is a fate leaders in Liverpool are desperate to avoid.

Liverpool council leader Joe Anderson said: “I think we can reach a compromise, but Peel have already compromised.

“I think the scheme is a game changer. It’s a catalyst for regeneration for years to come, that is how important it is.”

I loved the original plan when it first came out and the brilliant video and the amazing, unique looking buildings that were portrayed.  Then, as I started walking through the Kirkdale area regularly I started to have doubts.  I still felt it was a living, breathing bit of industry, albeit clinging on by the fingertips.  I started to wonder: why the hell should we, Liverpool, want to look like a mini-Dubai or New York?  We're Liverpool.  If people on cruise ships don't want to see the slag piles and junk yards of a still working city on their trip in to the Pier Head go some-fucking-where else.

Then, when I saw the revised plans, my heart sank further.  All the innovative, unique looking skyscrapers had been replaced by a collection of (fewer) bland, mediocre, low and mid-rise tower blocks.  That hardened my opinion against the development even more; especially as I was concerned it could suck the life out of the existing city centre.

But at the same time, I'm sick to fucking death of English Heritage, and now Unesco, sticking their effing oar in.  Prior to Liverpool One I felt there was a concerted effort to pour embalming fluid into the city's veins and mummify it.  There didn't seem to be anything new or exciting; indeed they continued to demolish existing old buildings - lovely little places like Commutation Row - and replace them with the usual bland shit.  L1 revived my hopes slightly, because it was well thought out, joined the existing city centre to the Rope Walks area, and made for a pleasing link up with the Albert Dock.  We shouldn't feel threatened by others.

My thoughts about the original scheme remain mixed.  Personally I want to see skyscrapers dominating the skyline.  I want to see King Edward Tower and Shanghai Tower vying it out at 600 feet.  But at the same time I want the essence of the existing area preserved, though little remaining that may be.  You can't have your cake and eat it, so sacrifices need to be made and compromises reached, but Peel's plan has already been extensively modified to try and please English Heritage and looks much the worse for it. 

On the one hand, I'd rather have nothing than the revised plan.  On the other though, I'm tired of other people telling us what we can do in our own fucking city.  :no
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:39:47 pm by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Unesco set to strip Liverpool of World Heritage Status
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 12:43:38 pm »
They need to leave the city alone IMO.

Sure, rebuild a few houses and invest some money into a few run down areas but overall, leave the city alone.

They ruined the waterfront with that fucking museum IMO.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 12:44:37 pm »

Sure, rebuild a few houses and invest some money into a few run down areas but overall, leave the city alone.

I agree entirely

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:51:24 pm »
I think it's important to preserve the history of any city, especially one with as rich a heritage as Liverpool. As an outsider, I don't understand why so much investment and emphasis is placed on the docks when other parts of the city would benefit for a similar return. The trap other cities fell into is to focus on one area (usually the waterfront) and then when demand drops the whole city suffers.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 12:56:50 pm »
Personally I think the council should tell van Oers to go back to Holland and shove the his World Heritage Status up his arse.

The majority of the city is still a work in progress. Not just the waterfront and dockland area. Edge lane and the road network leading in and out of the city, the Lewis' buildings, the rail network between Manchester and Liverpool all need a hell of a lot of work.

Went for a proper walk around the Albert Dock for the first time in a long while last weekend (well put it this way, the last time I went Fred was still doing his weather reports on his map ;)) and fuck me it looks great now. Busy restaurants, tourist shops, people queuing to get into the Maritime museum and Tate. It was great to see.

To prevent or vastly change any plans to improve the city in this economic climate just because of one crazy Dutchman with a grudge is stupid.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 12:59:06 pm »
Personally I think the council should tell van Oers to go back to Holland and shove the his World Heritage Status up his arse.

The majority of the city is still a work in progress. Not just the waterfront and dockland area. Edge lane and the road network leading in and out of the city, the Lewis' buildings, the rail network between Manchester and Liverpool all need a hell of a lot of work.

Went for a proper walk around the Albert Dock for the first time in a long while last weekend (well put it this way, the last time I went Fred was still doing his weather reports on his map ;)) and fuck me it looks great now. Busy restaurants, tourist shops, people queuing to get into the Maritime museum and Tate. It was great to see.

To prevent or vastly change any plans to improve the city in this economic climate just because of one crazy Dutchman with a grudge is stupid.

I'd add Kenny to the list of areas needing improvment aswell.

Invest a bit of money into that and you'd get quite a bit of profit from the retail side of things IMO, some open land to build a small shopping centre on if done right aswell.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 01:04:59 pm »

So why did UNESCO / English heritage not appeal against the developments at the Pier Head ? Not having a go at you by the way .

As far as stripping the city of it's world heritage status if the development goes ahead , will it really make one iota of difference to the city in terms of attracting tourists etc . I can't see it !

Whether you approve of peels plans or not , and I've not seen the latest revisions , it's investment in the city that's not going to come from anywhere else . I've been doubtful of the commercial aspects of the development in the past and just can't see how it can work , but Peel are not stupid and wouldn't invest without a good prospect of return .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 01:10:00 pm »

Personally I think the Albert Dock has gone to shit these days. Full of tacky shops, ugly cafes and pretentious bars

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 01:15:33 pm »
Personally I think the Albert Dock has gone to shit these days. Full of tacky shops, ugly cafes and pretentious bars

Yep, only go their for the walk and the sweet shop, but thats a rip off. Suppose it makes money out of the day trippers

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 01:19:10 pm »

tourists love it though mate.Love it or hate it any time of the day its full of tourists. Im not a fan of the bars in the area and dont go there often,but therees no doubting its a lovely spot for people visiting the city
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 02:08:38 pm »

Better than it was before. Empty market stalls, a couple of pretentious art galleries and one small sandwich shop the last time I went there.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 02:13:13 pm »
The only worry about losing World Heritage Status would be the effect it has on the upkeep of the Liver Buildings which form part of the status. But that should be protected under its Grade 1 listed status

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 02:15:24 pm »
Yep, only go their for the walk and the sweet shop, but thats a rip off. Suppose it makes money out of the day trippers

Try the sweet shop up by Clayton Square. Its by Maplin and Clas ohlson. Nice little store

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 02:25:09 pm »
Try the sweet shop up by Clayton Square. Its by Maplin and Clas ohlson. Nice little store

Saw it but not been in. There is a boss little one in Formby village. Got to love sweet shops

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 02:54:42 pm »
So why did UNESCO / English heritage not appeal against the developments at the Pier Head ? Not having a go at you by the way .

They did.  English Heritage forced Peel to scale their plans way back, reducing the height and number of skyscrapers.  Shanghai Tower was supposed to be 60 stories but I think they were forced to lop at least 20 stories off it because such a height was out of keeping with the surrounding area.  When you see what Manchester can get away with I was effing livid.  Peel eventually said "no more, we're not fucking around with the plans any more" and that's when Unesco came in 'cause EH reported us (or some such).

Popcorn's Art

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 02:58:58 pm »
UNESCO want to pickle everything for posterity. They put the frighteners on Edinburgh Council last year for a 16 storey six star luxury hotel. Would have transformed a rundown part of the city and built on one of the last empty plots in the centre. But the Council knocked it back as a consequence of UNESCO meddling. Now we're likely getting two fucking Travelodges to go with the dozen we have already in Edinburgh.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 03:02:44 pm »

Do what's right for Liverpool not fucking UNESCO. City needs more jobs, a world heritage site doesn't offer enough.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 03:20:06 pm »
Do what's right for Liverpool not fucking UNESCO. City needs more jobs, a world heritage site doesn't offer enough.

spot on
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 04:04:18 pm »
They did.  English Heritage forced Peel to scale their plans way back, reducing the height and number of skyscrapers.  Shanghai Tower was supposed to be 60 stories but I think they were forced to lop at least 20 stories off it because such a height was out of keeping with the surrounding area.  When you see what Manchester can get away with I was effing livid.  Peel eventually said "no more, we're not fucking around with the plans any more" and that's when Unesco came in 'cause EH reported us (or some such).

I know that . I'm talking about the Museum of Liverpool Life , the new ferry terminal and the black granite apartment blocks - the new buildings erected immediately adjacent the 3 graces . These devlopments were nothing to do with Peel .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 04:26:15 pm »
Oh I agree.  Why those constructions were allowed to go ahead is beyond me.  I know Unesco raised concerns about them at the time but for some reason the buildings' design satisfied them.

Popcorn's Art

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 04:39:33 pm »
The plans they have are still good I think, obviously the original ones looked better but you can't argue with what they still want to do. You want your city to have it's own personality, having 50 odd skyscrapers can't give you that. We aren't New York or anywhere, we don't want to be, so on that part I'm happy it was scaled back.

You know, it's great we've got the WHS and everything but in terms of tourists and what it means I'm not sure it would have much of an effect on the city at all if it was taken away.

Peel want to invest over 10 billion quid in just a few miles of land with this and the Wirral Waters scheme. Anyone who doesn't want it is just stupid. I know it's decades in the making but eventually if it comes off it will be just superb, add to that the hopeful investment in the years to come for other projects too. If Peel aren't allowed to invest here they'll simply go somewhere else I'd imagine, but thats okay isn't it? Just let us fall behind again.

Offline Effes

• Bat droppings in the gym. Bestial Porn Fiend. Horsey horsey dont you stop, now you're wanted by internet cop. Four legs good, two legs bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No longer goes the game. Thread-starter bore
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 06:31:14 pm »
I loved the original plan

Then, when I saw the revised plans, my heart sank further..

But at the same time, I'm sick to fucking death

My thoughts about the original scheme remain mixed

You're not wrong there!
Conversion into the opposite - a fool who persists in his folly will become wise.

Offline RedRich84

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • SOS 7033
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 07:05:00 pm »
Personally I am in favour. I think the developments of that part of the city over the last few years have been excellent, with Liverpool One, down to the Docks, the Echo arena, the new Museum. A few buildings aren't going to completely overhaul the spirit of the city or its people but it will bring prosperity to the area & help to grow the local economy. How can that be a bad thing?! If you 'leave the city alone' as some want to then Liverpool will be left behind. At a time when many many cities and towns are run down & struggling massively in terms of local businesses closing down, local unemployment, should this not be encouraged? As long as it is nothing ridiculous then I don't really see the problem.

Also, if this happened Liverpool as a port could become much much more important again - I'm no expert but wouldn't this encourage the city to be a starting point for cruises across the Atlantic, & also (& more importantly) a gateway into Europe with the possibility of a re-opened West - East coast railway access?!

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 10:28:43 pm »
Unesco would fuck of the Empire State Building, the chyrstler building, stick your World heritage up your hoop, Liverpools a vibrant city not a pickled in aspic tourist attraction.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 11:52:44 pm »
Unesco need to jump off their high horse, although I think regardless of what they threaten Joe Anderson will stand firm, what choice has he got? Yeah ok Mr Van Oers, we'll forget the billions of pounds of investment in wasteland here and on the Wirral because you think the buildings are a bit ugly, and we'll risk the economic future of the city so that we can get in your brouchers. Obviously we don't want to lose WHS but i'm definitely 'for' the city keeping up with others. Those buildings next to the 3 graces may not be to everyone's taste, neither may L1, or the pretentious (and now busy) Albert docks but i'm more interested in the long term future of the whole city, and we've got plenty of lovely architecture around the city that isn't going anywhere, it's exciting to see the city grow, look at all those who didn't like the idea of the echo arena being on the waterfront - massive success story so far!

Offline -Q-

• What's the Q for? The workhouse for the poor and the gallows for the left.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 11:54:27 pm »
I don't think there are that many people ticking off UNESCO World Heritage Sites year by year on their holidays.
Welcome to Liverpool Brendan Rodgers
Quote from: Brendan Rodgers
Liverpool Football Club is the heartland of football folklore...     Liverpool are one of the dynasties of the game...     I will fight for my life for the supporters and the people of this city

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 12:53:40 am »

I'm all for everything being done in harmony and sympathy with what already exists in the centre and waterfront. We too often take for granted our architecture - magnificent is an appropriate word to describe it. We are so lucky and blessed to live in such a unique and characterful city.

The problem is this; unless you allow us to grow and make new buildings that can be equally magnificent and play a role in forming the identity of future Liverpudlian generations, what happens is that we risk becoming, essentially, a mannequin of a place, a preserved museum, rather than a living, growing, outward looking, entrepeneurial city.

All of the great buildings we have were built at a time when Liverpool had confidence, a spirit of adventure and pride and self-belief, a cosmopolitan prosperity, and that was part of the nature that came with our status as a city.

We're on the way to recapturing that after a long dark night of the soul the last few decades. That feeling is tangible and real. The centre of town and bold development in and around it will always be central to the development of us as a whole. For the sake of our future prosperity, culture, for jobs, investment, achievment and growth, whilst always respecting what we already have, we need to be able to move forward and make new iconic buildings when the opportunity arises with developments that will help bring in jobs and secure our future as a living, breathing, growing city.

Its about mood, orientation and self belief. UNESCO has been great as a selling point when we needed selling points. Now we're on the way to overcoming what has ailed us, we need to focus on Liverpool selling itself in the future on the basis with which it sold itself in its glorious prime.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 01:20:50 am »
Stussy, you beat me to it.

Like any city, Liverpool is a living breathing entity.  You have to let a city breath, grow, expand.

If Unesco had it's way, we should just turn the city into a living museum, where nothing new ever gets built, and all we do is continually preserve whats already gone before.

In essence, mothball the city, and change nothing, or threaten us with removing the WHS status.

I'm quite ashamed of what previous council administrations have done to some of the fine buildings in this city over the last century, and certainly since WW2.

Yes, some of the buildings and areas of the city were well beyond economic repair, after the war, and into the 1960s, but at the same time, those same administrations were extremly short sighted in their cultural vandalism, knocking down well known landmarks and famous buildings.

Even to the extent that, many of those buildings could of, and it's argued should of, been more simpathetically treated. That said, you cannot live in the past, and totally rely on older buildings that have long passed their sell by date, or out lived their usefulness.

The cultural vandalism or knocking down older (sometimes listed) buildings, has to weighed up with progress, and a modern thriving city.

Unless many of those buildings can be adapted to modern living, or modern industry/tourism, then their just a money sucking white elephant, that nobody knows what to do with.

In th case of buildings like the Stanley Dock Wherehouse, it would be extremly difficult (not impossible) to adapt to a modern usage.
 Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating knocking it down, or even damaging it in any way.  After all it is listed.  But for buildings like that, there has to be a use found for, or a way of bringing the building back into usage, or otherwise it's just a big pile of bricks that is a money pit.

I think that Unesco have to be realistic about their WHS status, and I'm not just talking about Liverpool.  Surely they can see that a city or site needs to adapt, and not live fully in the past.  Otherwise we'd all still be wearing clogs.

I'm all for keeping the WHS status, as best we can, but it's not the be-all and end-all of what Liverpool is about. If it's a straight toss up of WHS or economic growth, then as a city we must, surely plump for the economic growth that the city so desperately needs, especially in the North area of the city.

I just hope that the council can do a good ballancing act of preserving as much of our industrial and maritime heritage, but not at the risk of us becoming a living museum of a city, and also in the case of Peel, not letting them just get away with building any old shite, under the guise of 'whats good for Peel, is good for the city'.  It's not.

Their aims, and the city's - although similar - are not one and the same.

Sorry for the ramble. I'll shut up now.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 06:55:40 am »
any photos or videos of these schemes? I have no idea what they look like both original and revised.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 06:56:22 am »
Unesco would fuck of the Empire State Building, the chyrstler building, stick your World heritage up your hoop, Liverpools a vibrant city not a pickled in aspic tourist attraction.

Precisely.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 01:44:18 pm »
any photos or videos of these schemes? I have no idea what they look like both original and revised.

This is the latest one I've been able to find on You Tube:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5VVpq3Hfqx4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5VVpq3Hfqx4</a>

I just uploaded this onto You Tube from my hard drive.  It's the original version and the quality ain't great but you be the judge which looks better.  Don't know if they'll let me keep it up though.  ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oWPEtM7HIuc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oWPEtM7HIuc</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 01:48:44 pm »
I don't know how the city kept the UNESCO thing once they started building on the old Princes Dock opposite the Liver Building and the museum is even worse.

Now that they've spoilt everything anyway by building within a few hundred yards of the Three Graces I can't see how this new scheme can make things worse by building a couple of miles away.

Not sure about the number of jobs being claimed though, or whether the city needs more flats.
Legacy fan

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2011, 02:27:54 pm »

Is the right answer.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2011, 03:34:32 pm »
GOVERNMENT minister Chris Grayling has slammed Unesco for threatening to strip Liverpool of its World Heritage Site status.

Yesterday the ECHO revealed how inspectors had warned they were preparing to deprive Liverpool of the accolade if Peel Holding’s £5.5bn skyscraper plan goes ahead without “radical” changes.

Employment minister Chris Grayling, formerly shadow minister for Merseyside, said: “I think it is a great shame they are taking that view.

“There are plenty of places around the world where sensitive modern development sits alongside historic sites.

“The Liverpool Waters scheme would regenerate the city’s northern docklands and promises to create thousands of jobs.

“But when it is something as important as the World Heritage Status I would like to see both sides of the debate sitting down and working out a solution.”

He said Peel and Unesco need to get around the negotiating table.

Deputy leader of the Liberal Democrat opposition on Liverpool council, Cllr Richard Kemp, said: “Losing our Wold Heritage Status would be a real tragedy. The Peel Development is a hugely optimistic proposal set to last for many years and with an unproven market.

“The Unesco status is bringing in tourism therefore jobs today.

“Liverpool must remain distinctive if it is to be successful.

“The WHS is more important than skyscrapers in this regard.”

The company has previously said it will not compromise any further on the scheme, having already dramatically reduced the number of skyscrapers.

It also reduced the height of the tallest planned building – the Shanghai tower – to 55 storeys.

Cllr Kemp said Peel Holdings should be made to compromise further before planning permission is granted.

As reported yesterday, inspectors, led by Ron van Oers, left the city with clear guidance “100%” that unless Peels’ Liverpool Waters project was radically changed they will recommend the city be stripped of the World Heritage accolade.

The inspectors’ report will be written by December 23 and will then be sent to Liverpool council and Peel within two to four weeks. Peel has said it will wait until it receives the inspectors’ report before deciding its next move.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2011/11/23/employment-minister-chris-grayling-slams-unesco-liverpool-world-heritage-status-stance-100252-29823389/#ixzz1eXjFwt38

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2011, 03:55:00 pm »

Or, had Unesco been around post Blitz then St Paul's may still dominate the Thames skyline in the City the way it should.  As with all these things it is about striking a balance.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 03:56:47 pm »

Cllr Richard Kemp, said: “Losing our Wold Heritage Status would be a real tragedy. The Peel Development is a hugely optimistic proposal set to last for many years and with an unproven market.

“The Unesco status is bringing in tourism therefore jobs today.

“Liverpool must remain distinctive if it is to be successful.

“The WHS is more important than skyscrapers in this regard.”

Is utter fuckin shite !

Offline PattoLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 04:08:45 pm »

Agree totally.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2011, 05:35:22 pm »
I wonder if that's what Kemp thought when the proposals were first brought to the table when the LibDems ran Liverpool?  Knob.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2011, 12:34:14 am »
Unesco are spot on....the plans look fuckin atrocious, the last thing the city needs are yet more empty offices and flats in nondescript glass and steel anytown towerblocks/monstrosities.....the aesthetic fuck up that is Mann Island is a warning as to what can happen when shite architects in cahoots with shortsighted planners are allowed to run amok unchecked (a development that has surely contributed to the WHS panel taking a dim view of these latest plans) ....Im with the Dutchman...Liverpool is already a unique English city - and Its unique qualities are what gained it World Heritage status in the first place....so why try to make it look like everywhere else?....Liverpool should remain as Liverpool, not some designers wankfest or transitory job-opportunities scheme
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 01:04:32 am by Pistolero »
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2011, 06:55:09 am »
UNESCO can fuck off.

Places expand and grow. The city comes first, way before what some pretentious twat from UNESCO thinks.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.