Author Topic: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences  (Read 1233513 times)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Dave's TV Snobbery Topic with added Low Brow Self Indulgences
« Reply #12560 on: January 24, 2022, 02:15:50 pm »
Just watched the 3rd series of Ricky Gervais afterlife it was totally brilliant but made me cry so many gut punches & memories of trying to deal with the death of a partner thanks Ricky for making me think about it in a different way

A totally amazing 3 series of TV.

God I still miss you so much Tracy xxx
We just watched all three series. I was a touch sceptical before hand, Gervais can be a bit marmite. But it’s beautiful, and the writing is utterly sensational, I don’t know another programme remotely like it.

I’m glad it helped.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12561 on: January 24, 2022, 07:53:25 pm »
Halfway through Archive 81, a new supernatural thriller on Netflix at the mo.

It can be a tad slow, but the storyline is interesting, and it has the potential to be really quite good.

It could, of course, go all "Lost", and disappear up its own arsehole in a blaze of senseless and laughable ridiculousness, but we'll see...

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12562 on: January 24, 2022, 08:07:05 pm »
Halfway through Archive 81, a new supernatural thriller on Netflix at the mo.

It can be a tad slow, but the storyline is interesting, and it has the potential to be really quite good.

It could, of course, go all "Lost", and disappear up its own arsehole in a blaze of senseless and laughable ridiculousness, but we'll see...

Same here,I've enjoyed it so far.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12563 on: January 24, 2022, 09:17:59 pm »
Enjoyed After Life 3. A good way to bow out.

Very good series. Definite improvement on series 2 which I felt was a bit all over the place. Interesting that a few of the main cast weren't in this one (journalist doing work experience, the sex worker and the therapist) and Ratty and the Nonce kept to a minimum.

I suppose that this a series where if you've lost someone close it has an entirely different effect.

"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #12564 on: January 24, 2022, 10:46:51 pm »
Very good series. Definite improvement on series 2 which I felt was a bit all over the place. Interesting that a few of the main cast weren't in this one (journalist doing work experience, the sex worker and the therapist) and Ratty and the Nonce kept to a minimum.

I suppose that this a series where if you've lost someone close it has an entirely different effect.

Maybe it will have a different effect on people but I found the first series quite effecting I was shocked at the last episode, after a really tame and pointless season 3.

Nothing could prepare me for how awful the season finale of #AfterLife3 was going to be. It was like Gervais forgot how to write drama and just spewed clichés at the screen. Bit of a shame as the series had promise.

And I like emotional shows and I get the subject matter is important for anyone who has gone though a loss.

Anyway, props to Gervais for dealing with grief in a show like this, not his best but brave nevertheless.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12565 on: January 24, 2022, 11:28:21 pm »
Just watched 'The Puppet Master: Hunting The Ultimate Conman' on Netflix. Enjoyable but what a fucking crazy story.

Watched this. Mental story really. Hard to believe people are so gullible.

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12566 on: January 24, 2022, 11:36:02 pm »
Just watched the fourth episode of the new Ozark. Absolutely brilliant. Makes tonight’s “The responder” and last night’s “Trigger point” look even worse than they actually were by comparison.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #12567 on: January 25, 2022, 02:22:45 am »
Just watched the 3rd series of Ricky Gervais afterlife it was totally brilliant but made me cry so many gut punches & memories of trying to deal with the death of a partner thanks Ricky for making me think about it in a different way

A totally amazing 3 series of TV.

God I still miss you so much Tracy xxx

I’ve followed your posts down the years. I’m impressed you had the guts to watch it. Even 23 years later I can’t watch a story line about a mother dying from cancer.

My heart goes out to you and I wish you peace.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #12568 on: January 25, 2022, 02:38:57 am »
Just ground out Ray Donner Van for series 7. I thought it would end with all characters tied up in a bow. I felt like it was left open for future series. Which would be tedious.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #12569 on: January 25, 2022, 10:02:04 am »
Just ground out Ray Donner Van for series 7. I thought it would end with all characters tied up in a bow. I felt like it was left open for future series. Which would be tedious.

They've just released a wrap-up movie.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12570 on: January 25, 2022, 10:31:47 am »
They've just released a wrap-up movie.
I read a snippet about the film last week which gave away the fucking ending.

I'll still plan on watching it.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12571 on: January 25, 2022, 08:41:33 pm »
Lupin is good stuff.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #12572 on: January 25, 2022, 08:45:35 pm »
Lupin is good stuff.
yeah, it’s great fun…
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12573 on: January 25, 2022, 09:33:44 pm »
Watching The Responder.
Given the absolute wealth in Scouse acting talent these days, would be nice to see something set in Liverpool (or with a Scouse cast) that wasn’t about crack heads, jail birds, child killers, grasses and bent bizzies.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #12574 on: January 25, 2022, 09:50:44 pm »
Lupin is good stuff.

Looking forward to S3 now there's scope for a new arc, loads of directions it can go.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12575 on: January 25, 2022, 10:08:46 pm »
Watching The Responder.
Given the absolute wealth in Scouse acting talent these days, would be nice to see something set in Liverpool (or with a Scouse cast) that wasn’t about crack heads, jail birds, child killers, grasses and bent bizzies.

The bloke who wrote it spent a decade working as a first responder on Merseyside and was mentored by Jimmy McGovern, I imagine a great deal of it is based on his experiences, they say write what you know, he knows the seedier side.

I thought it was quite good, not as great as some of the outstanding reviews mind. 

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #12576 on: January 25, 2022, 10:15:02 pm »
Watching The Responder.

Just started it.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #12577 on: January 25, 2022, 10:16:07 pm »
The bloke who wrote it spent a decade working as a first responder on Merseyside and was mentored by Jimmy McGovern, I imagine a great deal of it is based on his experiences, they say write what you know, he knows the seedier side.

I thought it was quite good, not as great as some of the outstanding reviews mind. 

Read a review from an ex merseyside copper and he said it is on the money, so Ep1 here I go.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #12578 on: January 26, 2022, 12:33:03 am »
Watching The Responder.

Could do a show about Al, plenty drama there...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #12579 on: January 26, 2022, 01:54:31 am »
Yeah I don't think it was as good as the 9th episode but I loved the ending. I wasn't aware they wanted to do 5 seasons I thought 3 would of been enough.

It definitely gives me Lost vibes, But that's probably why I like it so much  ;D

Spoiler
I was a bit disappointed on the Adam storyline I was convinced he was Javi! But I don't think he was just some random person neither, I do think he was part of Lottie's cult, Along with Taissa and maybe even Misty
[close]

Love shows like this if they’re well done and this was very well done. A great review worth a read

https://www.ign.com/articles/yellowjackets-season-1-review

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #12580 on: January 26, 2022, 07:57:05 am »
Just watched all of Toast of Tinseltown, great as always from Matt Berry and co.

As usual they have some great character names - Russ Nightlife, Neil Double-Decre, Des Wigwam, Bellender Bojangles, etc.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #12581 on: January 26, 2022, 10:27:02 am »
Watching The Responder.

While most of the elements you mention are in it....the central issue is how they all cause/contribute to the mental breakdown of Martin Freeman's character.....I tuned in ready to be unimpressed - and pick holes in Freeman's accent......unexpectedly, it's one of the best home-grown dramas I've seen for years.....a feeling of dread and threat runs through it like a bar of rock...every scene as taut as Joe Anderson's undies...ink-black and authentic Liverpudlian humour - Bleasdale'esque at times ...and Freeman is outstanding.......for once, the Guardian review was spot on
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12582 on: January 26, 2022, 10:59:03 am »
Watching The Responder.

Can I assume youre not a fan of Bread then ?
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #12583 on: January 26, 2022, 11:15:42 am »

Don't forget the Liver Birds as well.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12584 on: January 26, 2022, 11:24:30 am »
Don't forget the Liver Birds as well.

Before my time Uncle Howard
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12585 on: January 26, 2022, 11:33:23 am »

That Joey Boswell was a piece of work

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12586 on: January 26, 2022, 11:38:49 am »
That Joey Boswell was a piece of work

Which one?

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12587 on: January 26, 2022, 11:40:54 am »

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12588 on: January 26, 2022, 11:41:12 am »

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12589 on: January 26, 2022, 11:57:56 am »
Staying with Scouse TV
has anyone seen Good Cop with Graham and Comer?

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #12590 on: January 26, 2022, 12:22:05 pm »
Great to see Warren Brown back in a Libpool based crime thriller btw....the 2012 BBC four-parter 'Good Cop' (penned by Kirkby writer Stephen Butchyard) and starring Brown, deserved wider recognition and at least another series...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #12591 on: January 26, 2022, 12:27:08 pm »
First three episodes of The Responder are top notch but then it descends into a bit of a farce really.

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #12592 on: January 26, 2022, 12:57:23 pm »
How many ‘Dey do doh don’t dey doh’s’ out of 10 are we giving Tim from the Office’s accent.
Don’t think it’s a bad effort compared to most.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #12593 on: January 26, 2022, 01:12:04 pm »
Staying with Scouse TV
has anyone seen Good Cop with Graham and Comer?

Surprised they didn't do a sequel. That bloke with the ratty beard was a right twat.

If the Liver Birds was before your time bet you're glad you missed this even earlier Scouse treat;
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WcAmE5GxGd0

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #12594 on: January 26, 2022, 01:20:28 pm »

Definitely the first one

Oh definitely the 2nd one
Whichever fella went on to direct Gwyneth Paltrow in Sliding Doors, he's a wrong'un.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #12595 on: January 26, 2022, 01:29:51 pm »
Surprised they didn't do a sequel. That bloke with the ratty beard was a right twat.

If the Liver Birds was before your time bet you're glad you missed this even earlier Scouse treat;

Was quietly finished by the BBC and I don’t think the finale even got aired (or if it did, was way after its schedule), as it was supposed to air around the same time of the killings of the two policewomen in Manchester.
AHA!

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12596 on: January 26, 2022, 01:40:18 pm »

bit posh,
must be South enders

Online markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #12597 on: January 26, 2022, 02:35:06 pm »

Can't believe you just tricked me in to watching the Ev play for a few seconds. I was eating my lunch as well.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #12598 on: January 26, 2022, 06:59:27 pm »
Watching The Responder.

They could do remakes of The Liver Birds if that would suit ?
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #12599 on: January 26, 2022, 08:35:01 pm »
Martin Freeman is very good, only seen ep1 but still very good.
Y.N.W.A.