Author Topic: Liverpool vs Real Madrid  (Read 72686 times)

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Re: Liverpool vs Real Madrid
« Reply #920 on: April 13, 2021, 10:36:51 am »
People really think that dropping Fabinho out of midfield is a wise choice against Modric, Kroos and Casemiro...? Madrid will try to hit us on the counter but they are equally capable of just dictating things. After the first half of the last game where we were struggling to put passes together, it's pretty important we do a much better job in midfield. I don't know much about tactics but I can't see how dropping our best midfielder back is a good idea.

The question is whether its a better or worse idea than going with that centre back pairing that was horribly exposed in the first leg
We had a huge problem playing out in the first leg - as someone posted a while back - why wouldn't Madrid do the same thing and press high again?
Having Fabinho's ability on the ball at centre back makes a ton of sense in that context

I guess the counter argument is that we can start with the double pivot we should've started the first leg with (thiago/ fab) and try and dictate more of the play
Dunno glad I don't have to pick the team for this
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:45:32 am by JackWard33 »

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #921 on: April 13, 2021, 10:45:05 am »
I think Firmino needs to start, he's a player who can drag an inexperienced defence around a bit, and free up some space. If we just have direct players playing we will need quick goals or they will settle and counter us, leaving no space in behind for ourselves.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #922 on: April 13, 2021, 10:59:46 am »
I think Firmino needs to start, he's a player who can drag an inexperienced defence around a bit, and free up some space. If we just have direct players playing we will need quick goals or they will settle and counter us, leaving no space in behind for ourselves.

I'd be tempted to go with Bobby, Mo and Sadio from the start so we've then got a second wind off the bench with Jota. If we're a goal up with half hour left I'd then be very confident in getting what we need with firepower to come, and I dont think Bobby or currently Sadio really offer it.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #923 on: April 13, 2021, 11:08:11 am »
Would love Curtis to be fit for this one and used from the start. Bit of a joker card.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #924 on: April 13, 2021, 11:18:07 am »
I'd be tempted to go with Bobby, Mo and Sadio from the start so we've then got a second wind off the bench with Jota. If we're a goal up with half hour left I'd then be very confident in getting what we need with firepower to come, and I dont think Bobby or currently Sadio really offer it.
I would play Bobby and Salah 100%. I think I would also play Jota but see what you are saying about Mane coming off the bench. Jota played well at the weekend too and you have to pick in form players.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #925 on: April 13, 2021, 11:29:44 am »
After the last game, part of my annoyance was the fact that Madrid would be stronger for the 2nd leg - potentially having Varane and Hazard back. But that didn't transpire and they have lost Vasquez too, so they are in fact weaker.

I understand why people are lobbying for Fabinho to go back into the defence but for me it isn't worth what you lose from midfield. I think people forget how improved we were once Fabinho came back out of defence and into midfield. This is the last roll of the dice - I am not sure if we can take the risk, same with dropping someone like Keita back in there. 1-0 on 70 minutes... we would all take that, right? How do we get that? I am not sure 4-2-3-1 is that. But maybe we need to prepare for them scoring and go hard offensively? But we haven't been scoring the goals - so do we have the confidence or muscle memory to get that?

I find this game really hard to try and predict. Mane was rested on Saturday in preparation for this game you would think. But he wasn't great when he came on, and Firmino had a brilliant game so he would be hard done by if he didn't play. Maybe Jota is the one to miss out if we go 4-3-3.

Their new injury is on Mane's side as we traditionally play? If he could just find his form very quickly in this game it would give me so much hope.

I just hope we don't make it easy for them. I want them to have to earn it if they do qualify, because that first leg was far too easy for them. An early goal for us would do so much for our confidence too - we haven't been scoring many of them at late, and not at Anfield but I hope we come out of the blocks angry and hungry.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #926 on: April 13, 2021, 11:34:01 am »
Referee
Björn Kuipers (NED)

Assistant referees
Sander van Roekel (NED)
Erwin Zeinstra (NED)

Fourth official
Tasos Sidiropoulos (GRE)

Video Assistant Referee
Pol van Boekel (NED)

Assistant Video Assistant Referee
Dennis Higler (NED)
All eyes on the van Roekel/van Boekel axis. No idea what the van Foekel happen
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #927 on: April 13, 2021, 11:58:22 am »
All eyes on the van Roekel/van Boekel axis. No idea what the van Foekel happen

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #928 on: April 13, 2021, 12:25:51 pm »
Why on earth would we put our best midfielder further away from goal, when we need to score? Madness.

I hate 4231 as well. Looks great on paper, but it hardly ever works out for us. Our wingers end up too far away from goal.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #929 on: April 13, 2021, 12:27:07 pm »
Would love Curtis to be fit for this one and used from the start. Bit of a joker card.
Agree. If nothing else, he would learn a lot from playing against some fantastic midfielders.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #930 on: April 13, 2021, 12:39:14 pm »
Why on earth would we put our best midfielder further away from goal, when we need to score? Madness.

I hate 4231 as well. Looks great on paper, but it hardly ever works out for us. Our wingers end up too far away from goal.

Because if Real press up high, we'll have the same problem bringing the ball out with our centerhalves.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #931 on: April 13, 2021, 01:09:43 pm »

Agree. If nothing else, he would learn a lot from playing against some fantastic midfielders.

Time to get the aces out, not the joker. Curtis has plenty of time to get some experience - we need a win. Thiago - Fabinho - Wijnaldum is the midfield from the start.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:11:52 pm by G a r y »

Offline jepovic

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #932 on: April 13, 2021, 01:20:03 pm »
Time to get the aces out, not the joker. Curtis has plenty of time to get some experience - we need a win. Thiago - Fabinho - Wijnaldum is the midfield from the start.
I really struggle to see Gini as an ace anymore, unfortunately, and Curtis is more creative. Even Milner would be a better choice than Gini IMO

Offline MdArshad

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #933 on: April 13, 2021, 01:27:53 pm »
I really struggle to see Gini as an ace anymore, unfortunately, and Curtis is more creative. Even Milner would be a better choice than Gini IMO

I will have to agree with you. Hopefully Gini proves us wrong because there is no way Klopp does not start Gini if he is fit. Please Gini, Barcelona is watching you. Put in one of your brilliant performance that we have not seen for a very long time.

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #934 on: April 13, 2021, 01:29:48 pm »
A few below average games doesn't mean he's finished though does it? Between the three of them they have huge amounts of experience playing in the biggest games in world football. Milner, Shaqiri and Jones can be options from the bench.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #935 on: April 13, 2021, 01:31:59 pm »

The aces were out last Tuesday mate they were a busted flush.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline MdArshad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #936 on: April 13, 2021, 01:35:26 pm »
The aces were out last Tuesday mate they were a busted flush.

This is true. If Jones plays, he will not be overawed by the occasion. Jones seems the type to rise up to the biggest occasion.

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #937 on: April 13, 2021, 01:41:55 pm »
I wouldn't be totally against:

Fabinho -Thiago
Salah- Firmino -Mane
Jota

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #938 on: April 13, 2021, 02:13:21 pm »
I’m just waiting for one of the Madrid players to come out with a foolish comment like we won’t do a Barcelona. Then I know it’s in their heads and it’s on!

Offline MdArshad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #939 on: April 13, 2021, 02:14:27 pm »
I’m just waiting for one of the Madrid players to come out with a foolish comment like we won’t do a Barcelona. Then I know it’s in their heads and it’s on!

Yup or things like 'Nothing Special About Anfield especially without fans'.

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #940 on: April 13, 2021, 02:25:37 pm »
Had my post about Keita deleted and given a warning over 'lack of respect to the manager or players' because I dared to suggest he weren't one of our best midfielders  ;D

You don't have to agree nor do I have to pretend every Liverpool player is great.

In the ground, they get my full support - always have, always will.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #941 on: April 13, 2021, 02:39:28 pm »

Yeah, his brilliance and movement seems to be missed by a lot of people.

I used to have the same kind of arguments with people about the likes of Hamann - people thought they were shit because when you watch on TV, you not only see what the director wants to show you - you have the small area of the screen moving around. You don't see the big picture.

Same with Bobby - people that think he's 'shite' quite often aren't match-going fans, so they don't see all the amazing work and movement he does off the ball.

Watching the game on TV is good, but for me unless you've seen it live then it's hard to get a full appreciation of what has happened in the game. Most days when I come back from the match, I disagree with half the stuff on here and written by the media, but everyone sees their own game and not everyone can be lucky enough to go.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #942 on: April 13, 2021, 02:44:20 pm »
Had my post about Keita deleted and given a warning over 'lack of respect to the manager or players' because I dared to suggest he weren't one of our best midfielders  ;D

You don't have to agree nor do I have to pretend every Liverpool player is great.

In the ground, they get my full support - always have, always will.

Well that's not entirely true is it?

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #943 on: April 13, 2021, 03:15:35 pm »
Yeah, his brilliance and movement seems to be missed by a lot of people.

I used to have the same kind of arguments with people about the likes of Hamann - people thought they were shit because when you watch on TV, you not only see what the director wants to show you - you have the small area of the screen moving around. You don't see the big picture.

Same with Bobby - people that think he's 'shite' quite often aren't match-going fans, so they don't see all the amazing work and movement he does off the ball.

Watching the game on TV is good, but for me unless you've seen it live then it's hard to get a full appreciation of what has happened in the game. Most days when I come back from the match, I disagree with half the stuff on here and written by the media, but everyone sees their own game and not everyone can be lucky enough to go.

Yes, all good points. I love Bobby and his work rate, though at times this season his touch/control has let him down a bit - having said that, the touch and control he showed to receive that long high ball against Villa, was simply stunning !

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #944 on: April 13, 2021, 03:15:35 pm »

Wasn't it? You suggested the aces were out last week, they weren't because he started the game. He isn't one of our best midfielders.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #945 on: April 13, 2021, 03:18:22 pm »

He said he was the worst midfielder to play the game, has a gimpy leg and looks like a nonce. Pass it on.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #946 on: April 13, 2021, 03:20:23 pm »
I can't see us getting through this. Not because of a lack of skill or quality on our part, but consistency. We've got it in us to beat them, and I think we can score, but I think they will too, which makes our job nigh on impossible. Their theatrics will only add to my frustration. 

They're not even that fucking good, certainly nowhere near what they were in 2018.  If they're going to go down then I hope our lads at least give them a fucking good reason to.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #947 on: April 13, 2021, 03:36:35 pm »
Completely wrote us off to be honest after the first leg but 2-0 at Anfield is never beyond us to be fair. We'll no doubt have had a boost from finally get that win at the weekend, and the manner of it as well. So there is hope here albeit I still felt more confident of coming from 3-0 down to beat Barcelona than I do at the moment.

No idea what to suggest in terms of the team, we just badly need the key men to find their form again.

The last time we were as bad as we have been over recent months probably was back in the season where we lost home and away to Madrid under Rodgers and we limped out of Europe. Is it really possible for us to be that bad again? It's by and large the same team that have blown teams away for fun in Europe for the last few years. It's still, other than at the back, a world class team. It's not Kolo Toure, Borini and Markovic. I hope the threat of the season basically ending and there being no chance of anything like an upbeat belated parade will drag a second wind out of them, even if the fans can't be there on the night to assist.

I still think we'll lose but typically the hope is somewhat returning.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 03:38:41 pm by alonsoisared »

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #948 on: April 13, 2021, 04:06:13 pm »
Completely wrote us off to be honest after the first leg but 2-0 at Anfield is never beyond us to be fair. We'll no doubt have had a boost from finally get that win at the weekend, and the manner of it as well.

I thought the same after the 3-0 at Arsenal.  Thought we would leave Madrid with at least a draw.

We're so schizophrenic this season that it's simply impossible to tell which version of ourselves shows up.  But like we saw last Tuesday, one way or the other, we'll know in the first 5-10 minutes how it's going to go.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline MinnyRed

• Kopite
« Reply #949 on: April 13, 2021, 04:10:25 pm »
We miss Hendo. I think a lot of handwringing over Naby and the poor display misses Hendo’s absence as a major hurdle for us.

Any news? We’re in the middle of the original 6-8 week timeline. Journalists seem to have forgotten about it. It’s our behest question mark in my opinion.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #950 on: April 13, 2021, 04:12:18 pm »
We miss Hendo. I think a lot of handwringing over Naby and the poor display misses Hendo’s absence as a major hurdle for us.

Any news? We’re in the middle of the original 6-8 week timeline. Journalists seem to have forgotten about it. It’s our behest question mark in my opinion.

I’d believe Welshred on here over most of these journalists, I can’t remember what he said but I’m sure he alluded to that timescale being wrong in the first place.

Offline G a r y

• Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #951 on: April 13, 2021, 04:14:46 pm »
Probably looking like Henderson will be fit for the Champions League Final. With a bit of luck we'll have van Dijk back for it too

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #952 on: April 13, 2021, 04:15:50 pm »
Referee
Björn Kuipers (NED)

Assistant referees
Sander van Roekel (NED)
Erwin Zeinstra (NED)

Fourth official
Tasos Sidiropoulos (GRE)

Video Assistant Referee
Pol van Boekel (NED)

Assistant Video Assistant Referee
Dennis Higler (NED)

I like Bjorn Kuipers - Better than the German Madrilon  Dr Brych

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/250/Tournaments/12/Seasons/8177/Stages/19130/RefereeStatistics/Europe-Champions-League-2020-2021

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #953 on: April 13, 2021, 04:19:35 pm »
always think the reds will do it. Come on Redmen
we start strong with 2 goals in first 25 minutes I think we can take them

I wish we could be innovative and somehow get thousands of faces, voices and screens into anfield terraces via zoom, mobile or  screens. It should be possible to do something creative

https://www.insider.com/creative-ways-people-fill-seats-sports-restaruants-social-distancing-guidelines-2020-5

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #954 on: April 13, 2021, 04:24:32 pm »
I like Bjorn Kuipers - Better than the German Madrilon  Dr Brych

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/250/Tournaments/12/Seasons/8177/Stages/19130/RefereeStatistics/Europe-Champions-League-2020-2021

both are shit of what I’ve seen of them, obviously more of Brych than Kuipers.

But whatever, they are both better than PL referees - low bar granted.

As for this game, expect nothing from it, and I’m ok with that, the season is a write-off.

But I don’t think there is a place for Naby in the starting line up alas, he was so poor last week, not just him though. It’ll be and should be Fab, Gini and Thiago.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #955 on: April 13, 2021, 04:28:57 pm »
Ox as a wildcard maybe if we drop Fabinho back?

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #956 on: April 13, 2021, 04:30:12 pm »
No discussion this year about how Mo and Sadio fasting will affect them? Was it last year or the year of the final when we played Real that Rawk had a lovely long winded discussion about Mo fasting? ahh them were the days.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #957 on: April 13, 2021, 04:31:43 pm »
Ox as a wildcard maybe if we drop Fabinho back?

I’d be all for Ox or Curtis getting thrown in there for the hell of it  to be honest  ;D  Being as I expect nothing from the game, I’m ok with going a bit left field. Our midfield was awful last week, so much for the pre-match hype, shows how much we know. Everything they where meant to be didn’t come to fruition, and they all forgot how to make simple passes, that was when they could actually get near the ball.

So yeah, why not! 

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #958 on: April 13, 2021, 04:35:54 pm »
Given we struggled to keep the ball last week I think Thiago and Bobby will start. Bobby has started to look a little better in recent games and holding up the ball and finding those pockets of space could really benefit us. I don't think Klopp will go gung-ho from the start, keep the three in midfield and see where we're at after HT or 60 mins.

I would probably go with the following;

Ali
Trent
Phillips
Kabak
Robbo
Fab
Thiago
Gini
Mo
Bobby
Jota
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #959 on: April 13, 2021, 04:55:01 pm »
No discussion this year about how Mo and Sadio fasting will affect them? Was it last year or the year of the final when we played Real that Rawk had a lovely long winded discussion about Mo fasting? ahh them were the days.

Wasn't it established last year that athletes could have some kind of exemption? That may be poorly worded but I thought they would not have to fast at certain times.