Author Topic: Anfield Set For 12 Month Rail Seating Trial  (Read 27975 times)

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
Anfield Set For 12 Month Rail Seating Trial
« on: June 15, 2021, 04:03:06 pm »
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/436559-anfield-set-for-12-month-trial-of-seats-with-safety-rails

Anfield will trial the temporary installation of seats with safety rails in two areas of the stadium following a safety review by the Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA).

The Kop and Anfield Road Stand will see a total of 7,800 seats updated in the trial, which will begin from the start of next season. Around 1,800 new seats will be located in the back of the Kop and 6,000 in the Anfield Road Stand lower tier.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 09:22:15 am by Alan_X »

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/436559-anfield-set-for-12-month-trial-of-seats-with-safety-rails

No coincidence with the timing of the HFSG disbanding I'd imagine. They were the only Hillsborough group recognised by the club and were always completely against any sort of conversation about this. Now that they've disbanded the club can press on with it. I know that it says there this isn't a step to a standing section but it obviously is, good news.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Anfield Set For 12 Month Safe Standing Trial
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 04:05:39 pm »
Anfield will trial the temporary installation of seats with safety rails in two areas of the stadium following a safety review by the Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA).

The review highlighted that during matches persistent standing in the Kop and Anfield Road lower tier is an issue that needs to be addressed to ensure supporters’ safety.

The SGSA’s regulatory focus is on reducing persistent standing risks in stadiums and avoiding potential crowd collapses. Research commissioned by the SGSA around the management of persistent standing areas has evidenced in its emerging findings that the installation of rails increases safety within all-seater stadiums. The research states that the SGSA considers it important to maintain momentum on managing the identified persistent standing risks ahead of the return of live sport with spectators.

LFC has had a management plan for persistent standing at Anfield for many years but following the SGSA’s most recent review it is now advising to install safety rails.

The Kop and Anfield Road Stand will see a total of 7,800 seats updated in the trial, which will begin from the start of next season. Around 1,800 new seats will be located in the back of the Kop and 6,000 in the Anfield Road Stand lower tier.

Anfield will remain an all-seater stadium and the trialled areas with the new seats and safety rails are not ‘safe standing’ areas.

The seating being installed at Anfield includes normal stadium seats with an integrated safety rail behind them to avoid a crowd collapse.

They will not impact the visibility of the pitch for supporters. The design is to enable fans to stand safely at key moments in the game, like goal celebrations, but must revert to a seat at other times.

Season ticket holders whose seats are impacted by these changes will be contacted in due course to explain the changes and provide options to remain in the new seat or move to a standard seat.

With the installation of the new seats at Anfield, LFC joins a number of Premier League clubs who are already using this safety method, with further clubs set to install safety rails during the summer.

Andy Hughes, managing director of Liverpool FC, said: “The safety of our supporters when they come to Anfield is our absolute priority and we are fully committed to working with the SGSA on the trial of these new seats at Anfield. It is critical that we listen to the experts and deliver their recommendations to address this safety issue.

“We have informed key stakeholders and thank all fans for their input and support during this trial. We will complete a full review of the trial in 12 months at the end of next season.”

Supporters attending matches are reminded that Anfield is still an all-seater stadium and should remain seated when possible.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 04:22:11 pm by Alan_X »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Anfield Set For 12 Month Safe Standing Trial
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 04:07:59 pm »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
6k in lower Annie feels like the whole end?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Great news that
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 04:11:29 pm »

The review highlighted that during matches persistent standing in the Kop and Anfield Road lower tier is an issue that needs to be addressed to ensure supporters’ safety.

The SGSA’s regulatory focus is on reducing persistent standing risks in stadiums and avoiding potential crowd collapses. Research commissioned by the SGSA around the management of persistent standing areas has evidenced in its emerging findings that the installation of rails increases safety within all-seater stadiums. The research states that the SGSA considers it important to maintain momentum on managing the identified persistent standing risks ahead of the return of live sport with spectators.

LFC has had a management plan for persistent standing at Anfield for many years but following the SGSA’s most recent review it is now advising to install safety rails.

Anfield will remain an all-seater stadium and the trialled areas with the new seats and safety rails are not ‘safe standing’ areas.

The seating being installed at Anfield includes normal stadium seats with an integrated safety rail behind them to avoid a crowd collapse. They will not impact the visibility of the pitch for supporters. The design is to enable fans to stand safely at key moments in the game, like goal celebrations, but must revert to a seat at other times.

Season ticket holders whose seats are impacted by these changes will be contacted in due course to explain the changes and provide options to remain in the new seat or move to a standard seat.

With the installation of the new seats at Anfield, LFC joins a number of Premier League clubs who are already using this safety method, with further clubs set to install safety rails during the summer.

Andy Hughes, managing director of Liverpool FC, said: “The safety of our supporters when they come to Anfield is our absolute priority and we are fully committed to working with the SGSA on the trial of these new seats at Anfield. It is critical that we listen to the experts and deliver their recommendations to address this safety issue.

“We have informed key stakeholders and thank all fans for their input and support during this trial. We will complete a full review of the trial in 12 months at the end of next season.”

Supporters attending matches are reminded that Anfield is still an all-seater stadium and should remain seated when possible.

So not rail seating then, but it's a start.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Standing Kop again huh.  :D

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 04:14:43 pm »
So not rail seating then, but it's a start.

In all but name really. I am guessing you won´t be able to lock the seats away like you would with rail seating, but clearly this is going to be a de facto standing section (if it isn´t already).

Interesting that its in the Lower Anny as well. My guess is about half of the 6,000 in the Anny will be for the away fans.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 04:16:07 pm »
This was always inevitable at some stage, but pleased to see a tentative first step anyway.

Particularly enjoyed the reference to the 'management plan' for persistent standing that the club have been utilising for many years as well. Presumably by this they mean threatening removal for the lesser games and encouraging it for the bigger ones.

In all but name really. I am guessing you won´t be able to lock the seats away like you would with rail seating, but clearly this is going to be a de facto standing section (if it isn´t already).

It is.

They've referenced the 'back of the Kop' there, so by that i'm reading the 300 blocks, where everyone stands every week already.

With that in mind it makes complete sense to trial it there, along with the away end.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline ripsaw19

• Kopite
This is going to be amazing! I know the article says it will remain an all seater stadium which is fine, but if the option to not fall halfway down the Kop when we score a fourth against Barcelona is there, then I'll take it!
ST Waiting List Position - 1556

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 04:24:58 pm »
Split and merged.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 04:27:55 pm »
Hope we can get into 304 again this season then.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 04:29:13 pm »
Hope it doesn't mean they clamp down on the rest of the Kop more to compensate, we've been getting away with it a lot in recent seasons once they realised we were actually helping the atmosphere.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 04:30:09 pm »
Hope we can get into 304 again this season then.
Has anyone got any idea specifically how many seats are in each block? (304, 305, and 306, being the most likely based on the article).

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
6k in lower Annie feels like the whole end?

Hopefully they move the away fans out of there. Also it is a shame it is the Anfield Road as you can't see at the back of the Anfield road when people are standing. Also weird they have chosen the Anfield Road when the home fans rarely stand there.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 06:15:27 pm »
Hopefully they move the away fans out of there. Also it is a shame it is the Anfield Road as you can't see at the back of the Anfield road when people are standing. Also weird they have chosen the Anfield Road when the home fans rarely stand there.

It's for safety reasons and the away fans are the people who stand in the Anfield Road. It's easier to do the whole lower tier especially as the whole lower tier is given to away fans for some cup games.

It would be pointless to introduce rails in the area that away fans stand and then move the away fans to another area.

This is not 'safe standing'. Until there's new legislation the club can't introduce safe standing.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 06:18:47 pm »
Good to hear, and hopefully a step in the right direction. Would love to see proper safe standing at Anfield some day, even if this is not it yet. Back of the Kop is a good place to start. At Dortmund it's at the upper half of their terrace which is the proper rail seating, while the bottom bit is just old school terracing. As for the Anfield Road lower, that's where I did see this happening if ever - and really I think they should be planning for the lower tier to have safe standing as we move into the rebuild, as some other clubs are doing with their rebuilds and new grounds.

I don't think the entire Kop will ever have safe standing, but it'd be nice if it did in the future and had more than 1800 seats for it. We may also never improve the capacity of the Kop through doing it, but it'd be safer than current standing as seen with the seats, would be nice if we could fit a few more in though, especially if we can't rebuild massively on the Kop
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2021, 06:39:45 pm »
So they spent time and money putting a Nike swoosh in to the lower Annie seats, covered it up for 12 months and now they'll be ripping them out.

Offline GoldenGloves25

• Kopite
  • You are a reptile, Carmichael!!
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2021, 06:57:22 pm »
Is capacity affected??
A slave to rhythm and the fickle nature of charm.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2021, 06:59:37 pm »
Is capacity affected??
No, the seats will just have rails at the back
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2021, 08:00:10 pm »
This headline is misleading, it’s not safe standing although personally I feel we should be trialling safe standing.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2021, 08:58:04 pm »
Hope it doesn't mean they clamp down on the rest of the Kop more to compensate, we've been getting away with it a lot in recent seasons once they realised we were actually helping the atmosphere.

If they start enforcing seating on the Kop that's the end of the atmosphere that Klopp and the players have desperately missed.

I think the club have helped turn a blind eye because of how important the atmosphere is to Jurgen.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2021, 09:48:58 pm »
Is the lower tier going to change much when the stand is redeveloped? If not, it'd make sense for a future standing section to be in the lower Annie. Unlike the current Kop, the current lower Annie was designed for standing.

Someone asked where the rails will be in the Kop. Graham Smith posted 'back middle', which I assume would be across the 300s.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2021, 10:01:39 pm »
Is the lower tier going to change much when the stand is redeveloped? If not, it'd make sense for a future standing section to be in the lower Annie. Unlike the current Kop, the current lower Annie was designed for standing.

Someone asked where the rails will be in the Kop. Graham Smith posted 'back middle', which I assume would be across the 300s.

Lower Anny not being touched as far as I know, so its the same terrace I stood on in the 70's
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline The-Originals

• Main Stander
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2021, 10:14:25 pm »
brilliant
Allez Allez Allez.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2021, 11:17:42 pm »

Should be all home fans imo.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2021, 11:21:15 pm »

I guess an important part of seeing if it works is by seeing if works with away fans too.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2021, 11:34:06 pm »
I guess an important part of seeing if it works is by seeing if works with away fans too.

They should only get the lower for the games where we give them the end anyway,all others they should be stuck in the corner of the upper.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2021, 11:45:31 pm »

Don't think that's fair myself. I know it's not yet 'safe standing', but it'll lead to it. And I think away fans should have the choice to sit or stand, just like they used to. I'd like to think some day soon, we'll have the choice to sit or stand at away grounds.

Also most away fans stand up as it is, they should be allowed to do it safely - with a separate section for those who want to sit without getting their view obstructed.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 11:47:51 pm by Billy Elliot »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2021, 11:47:35 pm »
Don't think that's fair myself. I know it's not yet 'safe standing', but it'll lead to it. And I think away fans should have the choice to sit or stand, just like they used to. I'd like to think some day soon, we'll have the choice to sit or stand at away grounds.

Also most away fans stand up as it is, they should be allowed to do it safely.

They can have a choice to sit or stand,I'd just like that to be up top & not right behind the goal.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2021, 11:51:59 pm »

They can have a choice to sit or stand,I'd just like that to be up top & not right behind the goal.

I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but I liked the old set up at Goodison and Old Trafford. You could choose to sit or stand no matter what part of the ground you were in.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2021, 02:02:47 am »
They should only get the lower for the games where we give them the end anyway,all others they should be stuck in the corner of the upper.

Against PL rules isn’t it? Other than if you can prove the right segregation cannot be provided otherwise.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2021, 02:41:51 am »
Against PL rules isn’t it? Other than if you can prove the right segregation cannot be provided otherwise.

Could well be,I've no idea.

I'm sure we could make that argument,sling a few vending machines in & call it our opponent fans hospitality section.

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2021, 08:43:08 am »
Yeah. they changed the rules a few years ago so away fans had to be pitchside. I believe Newcastle and Man Utd were given exemption based on security/safety.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Anfield Set For 12 Month Rail Seating Trial
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2021, 09:23:13 am »
I've amended the thread title.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2021, 11:24:03 am »
Damian Kavanagh on the TAW podcast raised an interesting question about the safety of a possible evacuation onto the pitch with railings in the way. Didn't sound like he'd been given an answer to it though.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2021, 11:30:51 am »
So they spent time and money putting a Nike swoosh in to the lower Annie seats, covered it up for 12 months and now they'll be ripping them out.

If ever there was a reason we wont be signing Mbappe, its this
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2021, 11:44:47 am »
Damian Kavanagh on the TAW podcast raised an interesting question about the safety of a possible evacuation onto the pitch with railings in the way. Didn't sound like he'd been given an answer to it though.

In the event of an evacuation you're not meant to go over the seats, because it can be dangerous in the best of times let alone with loads doing it in a rush.

The specs are designed for adequate evacuation via the stairs.

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2021, 12:40:54 pm »
Makes complete sense, the injures i've had over the years when celebrating is quite ridiculous. My 18st mate ended up falling on me when Wijnaldum scored his second against Barcelona. We both ended up two rows in front of where we were originally.