Author Topic: The 2021 Formula 1 “Gives you whinge…”  (Read 314934 times)

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Re: The 2021 Formula 1 “Gives you whinge…”
« Reply #6840 on: December 5, 2021, 02:39:17 am »
Was working this evening and so had to leave the house right on full-time of the Wolves game - just finished watching the qualifying hour now...what drama today!

Absolutely brilliant championship this. Don't tend to watch the F1 in a particularly partisan way - I'm inclined to think that slight-advantage Max will be the most entertaining way to go into the finale, so I guess I'm hoping for a 7 point (or less!) swing in Hamilton's favour tomorrow.

His mindset of risk-taking was what had him up in those first two sectors and also contributed to the crash in the 3rd, if his mindset was safer he probably doesn't crash nor lead after the first two sectors.

I agree. No point being overly critical when dealing with such fine margins - it'd be boring if everyone put in 90%.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #6841 on: December 5, 2021, 06:31:39 am »
Today will be a lottery, safety cars and even just lapping the back markers is going to be interesting. Hoping for a Hamilton and Bottas 1-2 obviously, but most of all that all 20 drivers finish the race and there are no crashes.

It's interesting to me how well RB have gotten the car to work at Jeddah. No one can seemingly tell which car has the advantage till the actual race. The whole week we've heard "Merc track" and yet we arrive and it's definitely a more RB favoured track. I just don't think the Merc does as well on street circuits, I'm sure there are multiple reasons for it but it's interesting nonetheless.

I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6842 on: December 5, 2021, 08:39:00 am »
No news on Max's cars gearbox?
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #6843 on: December 5, 2021, 09:55:53 am »
No news on Max's cars gearbox?

no news is good news I guess.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6844 on: December 5, 2021, 09:57:58 am »
Couple of F1 journalists starting to report the gearbox isn’t damaged

https://twitter.com/erikvharen/status/1467423975923986434?s=21

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #6845 on: December 5, 2021, 10:27:47 am »
The car took a fair old whack but considering the amount of punishment they take during a race and the way they all climb all over the kerbs I’d imagine they gear box must be reasonably robust.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6846 on: December 5, 2021, 11:36:01 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/05/lewis-hamilton-distances-himself-from-f1-team-kingspan-deal-grenfell

Reading between the lines it sounds like the sponsor will be removed. The firm has blood on their hands from Grenfell and considering Hamilton has posted condolences on his Instagram in the past I imagine he would not want that sponsor anywhere near him.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6847 on: December 5, 2021, 11:46:24 am »
For me, this is one of these situations where Lewis opens himself up for a load of grief.

According to that article, Kingspan insulation was used on approximately 5% of the building, without their knowledge. They had no idea the product was to be used in a way that did not comply with building regulations, and then you have Lewis saying stuff like, “Whether it remains on my car we shall see” in an almost threatening way to the team?

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #6848 on: December 5, 2021, 12:00:05 pm »
For me, this is one of these situations where Lewis opens himself up for a load of grief.

According to that article, Kingspan insulation was used on approximately 5% of the building, without their knowledge. They had no idea the product was to be used in a way that did not comply with building regulations, and then you have Lewis saying stuff like, “Whether it remains on my car we shall see” in an almost threatening way to the team?

For me, that seems a bit of a stretch. He's damned if he says anything and he's damned if he doesn't - pretty sure he'd be getting absolutely slammed if he wasn't seen to be taking even this mild position on it.. He's probably a bit pissed off & uncomfortable with it being a topic of conversation this weekend.

Regardless of the details and claims that may be proved or disproved in the ongoing inquiry, it seems like a really insensitive deal to have done even just based on the company's association with the tragedy and all of its emotive context.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6849 on: December 5, 2021, 12:04:40 pm »
Wonder how confident Red Bull are about that gear box. I'd be tempted to change it as a precaution to avoid something like what happened to Leclerc in Monaco.

A 5 place penalty wouldn't be a disaster, he'd probably end up 3rd if not 2nd, and the championship would still be in his hands. A DNF would be a disaster.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6850 on: December 5, 2021, 12:10:43 pm »
For me, that seems a bit of a stretch. He's damned if he says anything and he's damned if he doesn't - pretty sure he'd be getting absolutely slammed if he wasn't seen to be taking even this mild position on it.. He's probably a bit pissed off & uncomfortable with it being a topic of conversation this weekend.

Regardless of the details and claims that may be proved or disproved in the ongoing inquiry, it seems like a really insensitive deal to have done even just based on the company's association with the tragedy and all of its emotive context.

Completely disagree, he should blanket say he doesn’t have any involvement in the teams corporate affairs.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #6851 on: December 5, 2021, 12:13:42 pm »
Wonder how confident Red Bull are about that gear box. I'd be tempted to change it as a precaution to avoid something like what happened to Leclerc in Monaco.

A 5 place penalty wouldn't be a disaster, he'd probably end up 3rd if not 2nd, and the championship would still be in his hands. A DNF would be a disaster.

Inclined to agree - am I right in remembering that Ferrari genuinely believe there was no lasting damage to the car back in Monaco, and the issue during the warm-up took them completely by surprise?

Would back Verstappen to finish 2nd from anywhere in the top 10 really, which (assuming a Hamilton win) would see him level or a point ahead going into the finale - a DNS/DNF and it could be a 17/18 point deficit instead. I'd be changing it.

I suppose the curveball in it all is Mercedes' momentum and the way 'the odds have swung' in the last few weeks. Feels almost certain to me that Hamilton will win one of these last two races, whereas I'm not sure about Verstappen and that makes every single point even more valuable.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #6852 on: December 5, 2021, 12:14:33 pm »

They have already said they would consider changing the gearbox, it makes sense to be safety first as he can't afford not to finish today.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #6853 on: December 5, 2021, 12:22:58 pm »
Completely disagree, he should blanket say he doesn’t have any involvement in the teams corporate affairs.

Agree that that would be the 'textbook' response, but - a bit like how you don't get Verstappen's performance without the risk yesterday - I think that's asking Lewis Hamilton to not be Lewis Hamilton. He's increasingly outspoken (at least relative to your average modern sportsperson) and that's a key part of both his character and his appeal.

Pretty sure I've seen headlines & comments about the company's logo appearing on "Lewis Hamilton's car" too - factually correct, but unfair in terms of the framing. He's a right to comment/respond to the issue - perhaps a right that feels almost like a responsibility to him - and I don't think he's done so in a way that is "threatening" to the team nor that opens him up to more flack than saying nothing & toeing the corporate line would.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6854 on: December 5, 2021, 12:41:59 pm »
Inclined to agree - am I right in remembering that Ferrari genuinely believe there was no lasting damage to the car back in Monaco, and the issue during the warm-up took them completely by surprise?

Would back Verstappen to finish 2nd from anywhere in the top 10 really, which (assuming a Hamilton win) would see him level or a point ahead going into the finale - a DNS/DNF and it could be a 17/18 point deficit instead. I'd be changing it.

I suppose the curveball in it all is Mercedes' momentum and the way 'the odds have swung' in the last few weeks. Feels almost certain to me that Hamilton will win one of these last two races, whereas I'm not sure about Verstappen and that makes every single point even more valuable.
I'm struggling with the maths, but I think he could get away with 4th or even 5th, depending on fastest lap points, and still have it in his hands going into Abu Dhabi. I'd take that gearbox all day long. I don't think that 3rd place on the grid is that valuable to him and a gearbox failure means the championship is over.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #6855 on: December 5, 2021, 12:49:40 pm »
I'm struggling with the maths, but I think he could get away with 4th or even 5th, depending on fastest lap points, and still have it in his hands going into Abu Dhabi. I'd take that gearbox all day long. I don't think that 3rd place on the grid is that valuable to him and a gearbox failure means the championship is over.
Or maybe there really wasn't any damage to the gearbox. I'm sure his engineers have gone over it with a fine tooth comb and they're happy with it. No one knows what's going to happen, Verstappen could still win this race. That RB was very quick yesterday.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6856 on: December 5, 2021, 12:51:08 pm »
Fastest lap will be interesting today, as I don't feel anyone is going to run away and create a big enough gap to pit for a fresh set of tyres to set one towards the end.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #6857 on: December 5, 2021, 12:54:54 pm »
Hamilton is right though. There's very bad optics being associated with the Grenfell tower cladding in any shape and especially for him as a Brit I'm sure he's disappointed that Toto or the marketing department didn't consult him beforehand. I'll call a spade a spade and when he's in the right I'll say so. He's justified in being pissed off since it risks damaging his reputation in the UK through no fault of his own.

Fastest lap will be interesting today, as I don't feel anyone is going to run away and create a big enough gap to pit for a fresh set of tyres to set one towards the end.

The Constructors' is basically over if Mercedes run 1-3 so Red Bull would gladly throw Pérez a couple of points for that or they could just ask Gasly to go in and give it a go.
« Last Edit: December 5, 2021, 12:57:29 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6858 on: December 5, 2021, 12:55:08 pm »

It could well depend on who is left standing at the end. I think the safety car will be forced onto the circuit a number of times with the layout of the track, ideally both Mercedes and RB will want both drivers their at the end so the likes of Bottas and Perez could be crucial in going for that fastest lap.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #6859 on: December 5, 2021, 01:02:41 pm »
hamilton has opinions. for him to suddenly not have one on this would be out of character and weird.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6860 on: December 5, 2021, 01:15:02 pm »
Or maybe there really wasn't any damage to the gearbox. I'm sure his engineers have gone over it with a fine tooth comb and they're happy with it. No one knows what's going to happen, Verstappen could still win this race. That RB was very quick yesterday.
Well yes, of course they have and there probably isn't any damage. But that's exactly what Leclerc's engineers thought at Monaco.

I just don't see a massive downside to changing it. Unless they think they can't win in Abu Dhabi and really need the win today.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6861 on: December 5, 2021, 01:50:35 pm »
With Leclerc in Monaco was a little different. They’d snatched pole on the circuit where overtaking is extremely difficult. Keep the gearbox and maybe get a win when you’ve had a poor season, or change it and probably little chance of even a podium. They had loads to gain by keeping that gearbox on.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #6862 on: December 5, 2021, 01:59:39 pm »
This track is so dangerous.
I came in to post similar. Glad I'm not going mad

It's the scariest race track I have ever seen.

Someone some day is gonna hit the wall and be badly injured or worse
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline **** The Pain Away.

• the cat who went all Yusuf Islam
  • Kopite
  • "We are the real people's club."
« Reply #6863 on: December 5, 2021, 02:06:14 pm »
I came in to post similar. Glad I'm not going mad

It's the scariest race track I have ever seen.

Someone some day is gonna hit the wall and be badly injured or worse

What is so scary about it?
Meh...

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6864 on: December 5, 2021, 02:17:07 pm »
What is so scary about it?

The lack of run off areas in some parts of the circuit are minimal especially on a track like this which is so quick.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #6865 on: December 5, 2021, 02:19:19 pm »
f1's lack of ability to race close might help it from a safety standpoint that if someone does hit a wall and bounce back a bit onto the track nobody should be close enough to not be able to respond.

yes I am being slightly facetious.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6866 on: December 5, 2021, 02:21:39 pm »
f1's lack of ability to race close might help it from a safety standpoint that if someone does hit a wall and bounce back a bit onto the track nobody should be close enough to not be able to respond.

yes I am being slightly facetious.

I can't remember which incident I saw in qualifying but when someone came off the commentators were making the point that coming around one of the corners it was difficult for the following cars to see the car going off. That would be my big concern especially when they are going at pure racing speed.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6867 on: December 5, 2021, 02:35:18 pm »
Will hopefully be a good race but have feeling there will be a big crash into the first corner.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #6868 on: December 5, 2021, 02:37:41 pm »
Currently replacing the concrete barrier in the F2 race.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6869 on: December 5, 2021, 02:40:22 pm »
Will hopefully be a good race but have feeling there will be a big crash into the first corner.

I would hope it is started under the safety car.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #6870 on: December 5, 2021, 02:41:27 pm »
I would hope it is started under the safety car.

there's about a 0% chance of a dry race at any circuit starting under the safety car. that's ridiculous.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6871 on: December 5, 2021, 02:43:11 pm »
there's about a 0% chance of a dry race at any circuit starting under the safety car. that's ridiculous.

I'm not expecting it too, but it will be a miracle if they all get through that first corner in one piece.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6872 on: December 5, 2021, 02:44:44 pm »
Remove half the fun if you start sanitising things like the start by doing it behind a safety car.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #6873 on: December 5, 2021, 02:45:23 pm »
I'm not expecting it too, but it will be a miracle if they all get through that first corner in one piece.

if you're going to think in those terms then you might as well pack F1 away in a museum somewhere and give up.

the track does however seem stupid and f1 shouldn't be in saudi as we all know, but it is.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6874 on: December 5, 2021, 03:08:48 pm »
F2 race didn’t even make a third of a lap before it was red flagged

To be fair, they crashed before they even got to the first corner
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #6875 on: December 5, 2021, 03:13:23 pm »
sounds like something that could happen anywhere.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6876 on: December 5, 2021, 03:14:07 pm »
sounds like something that could happen anywhere.
There was a crash at the second corner (I think) too, so there would probably have been an issue anyway
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6877 on: December 5, 2021, 03:57:33 pm »
Another red flag.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6878 on: December 5, 2021, 04:00:07 pm »
Race isn’t going to finish onthe track after this.

Total shambles. No one is sure who has won..

Faster cars, more cars? What could possibly go wrong?
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6879 on: December 5, 2021, 04:01:19 pm »
I hope they have fuelled the safety car up to full capacity then.