Author Topic: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance  (Read 214099 times)

Online Razors Razor

• Sworn enemy of Occam's Occam.
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Title Race 2023/24- Jurgen's Last Dance
« Reply #4800 on: Yesterday at 11:12:23 pm »
Yes I would be third is hardly massively overachieving now is it? Also some players like Van Dijk recaptured their top level.

You're missing my point. Let's just leave it.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4801 on: Yesterday at 11:13:22 pm »
4 wins and see where we are with 86 points.

Probably not gonna win the league (and probably not going to get that either)

But if we crack 80 points, with a trophy, I would say it is hard to call that a bad season

Online Razors Razor

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4802 on: Yesterday at 11:14:36 pm »
maybe read the room and stop being a tit.

Good to see all the big post count bully's are out tonight. YNWA indeed!

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4803 on: Yesterday at 11:23:29 pm »
Probably not gonna win the league (and probably not going to get that either)

But if we crack 80 points, with a trophy, I would say it is hard to call that a bad season

Yeah I agree. We’d need Arsenal and City to pretty much lose 2 of their remaining games. Unlikely but not impossible.

Offline collytum

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4804 on: Yesterday at 11:26:31 pm »
We were Unlikely to win it before the Everton game, absolutely out of it now. The last month has been an absolute disgrace from the players, hardly any of them get any credit.

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #4805 on: Today at 12:22:08 am »
We were Unlikely to win it before the Everton game, absolutely out of it now. The last month has been an absolute disgrace from the players, hardly any of them get any credit.
I think that’s way too harsh mate. Some players have struggled a bit, but no way anyone has been an “absolute disgrace”.  Take a deep breath and think about those words “hardly any” of them. We have loads of positives from this season and our players have been great for most of it.

Offline Heritage

• Main Stander
  • Boot Room Fanatic
« Reply #4806 on: Today at 12:32:47 am »
I think that’s way too harsh mate. Some players have struggled a bit, but no way anyone has been an “absolute disgrace”.  Take a deep breath and think about those words “hardly any” of them. We have loads of positives from this season and our players have been great for most of it.
Agreed, I don't think we should be speaking about our team in such terms
🔥97🔥

🏆 x 42

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4807 on: Today at 12:36:57 am »
Totally out of it. It's about getting the points to secure the top 4. After that Klopp might as well play the kids.
O my...we still have to worry about our 3rd position. 
3rd position chances 80%
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4808 on: Today at 12:43:05 am »

Would that be the same players who got us into that position?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline MosDefKop

• Main Stander
« Reply #4809 on: Today at 12:43:52 am »
Finished watching on delay.
I don't recall ever seeing an end of the season collapse by us in 35 odd years.
Most disappointing thing over the past month is lack of in-game intelligence. Its a major problem.
The team has got poorer once more of the kids were taken out of the team!?!

I've written the season off. Looked like the team already had.
I am just looking forward to next year with a clean start and new manager with new ideas and a fresh view of the obvious flaws we have.

Can't lie, I am down.  But I'm optimistic for next year as we do have a very strong squad.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #4810 on: Today at 12:47:37 am »
Those stats ain't true, we still have a slim chance.

Just need Manchester City to drop points against Tottenham Away and one more.

Arsenal we need them to drop points against Tottenham Away and one more (United away maybe)

We now have to win every game, I don't think it's possible but it's not done just yet

Please stop.

Offline Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4811 on: Today at 12:51:52 am »
Hilarious seeing posters call the players and manager a disgrace for us not winning the title race they've done brilliantly to get us into in the first place. The Klopp era has been too good for some of you. I'm gutted it's faded as it as, but my word what a ride it was.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4812 on: Today at 12:59:14 am »
Hilarious seeing posters call the players and manager a disgrace for us not winning the title race they've done brilliantly to get us into in the first place. The Klopp era has been too good for some of you. I'm gutted it's faded as it as, but my word what a ride it was.

I thought it was your position that it was the genius of FSG an Edwards that got us into this position?

Klopp shouldn't matter surely?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4813 on: Today at 01:00:22 am »
I'm calling the players a disgrace. Kloppo has done too much for us for them fuckers to let us and him down.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4814 on: Today at 01:05:24 am »
I'm calling the players a disgrace. Kloppo has done too much for us for them fuckers to let us and him down.

Or maybe the genius of Klopp elevated the players to perform at a higher level than they should have.

Not being funny but apart from Ali I don't see anyone else getting close to our best 11 at their current level. Two or three years ago you would have had four or five players who had a genuine shout about being one of our greatest players.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Avens

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4815 on: Today at 01:05:28 am »
I thought it was your position that it was the genius of FSG an Edwards that got us into this position?

Klopp shouldn't matter surely?

Al in 'making up utter garbage' shocker. I get that you're desperate to get into arguments tonight, but there are plenty of others you can actually argue with, rather than someone who has always said Klopp has been the best manager in the world in his time with us. Having a world class manager and functioning owners aren't mutually exclusive - in fact some would say they go hand in hand.

Offline Avens

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4816 on: Today at 01:09:28 am »

Have they let us down though? I go into every season hopeful we can do something special, but I don't think many necessarily expected a title challenge this year. We'll probably finish third, which is a decent finish considering the upheaval over the summer. It was only overperformance that had us thinking we might win it. Tough to watch at the moment, incredibly frustrating, but at least we got another bit of silverware (in a spectacular way) and back into the Champions League - we would've taken that at the start.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:14:36 am by Avens »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4817 on: Today at 01:11:42 am »
Fair points mate but Al also ha sa ponit. Bar Ali none of our "top players"  are consistent enough these days.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4818 on: Today at 01:12:30 am »
Al in 'making up utter garbage' shocker. I get that you're desperate to get into arguments tonight, but there are plenty of others you can actually argue with, rather than someone who has always said Klopp has been the best manager in the world in his time with us. Having a world class manager and functioning owners aren't mutually exclusive - in fact some would say they go hand in hand.

Hey Ho.

How about we draw a line in the sand around about now and we both give our judgement on who we think was largely responsible for our great run over the last 7 or 8 years?

I will say it was largely down to Klopp and think things will get worse from now on.

What is your opinion?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4819 on: Today at 01:15:38 am »
We have to keep going, but with two teams to overcome and the games running out, plus our lack of form, well… the title is extremely unlikely.

I have mixed feelings. Before the season I would have been quite happy with a CL finish, a trophy, and the introduction of some cracking young players with at least two of them having a great chance to be here for the long haul.

We definitely overachieved to be in a title race this long, but once you are in it, you have to go for it. That feeling is amplified in light of Klopp’s decision. And that’s where it is so disappointing to see it fizzle out. I started to dream of another Prem title and a perfect finale for Klopp. But almost certainly that won’t happen now. Hopefully we find a way to regroup and finish with a few wins and see where it takes us, but the group as a whole just looks deflated.   

Offline Avens

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4820 on: Today at 01:21:05 am »
Hey Ho.

How about we draw a line in the sand around about now and we both give our judgement on who we think was largely responsible for our great run over the last 7 or 8 years?

I will say it was largely down to Klopp and think things will get worse from now on.

What is your opinion?

I think that's quite a childish way of looking at football. As ever, these things go better when it's a team effort, aligned from top to bottom. The best thing FSG have done, and the most important in them overseeing this period of success, was hiring Klopp - I think we agree on that. Klopp is a genius and over that period of time, I don't think any other manager would have been able to compete with City the way he was.

Can they replicate that? It'll be a tough act to follow, but hopefully with the right structure in place we'll have a chance of doing well again with an inferior manager (not a slight on anyone, they're all inferior to Klopp).

Offline Avens

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4821 on: Today at 01:26:50 am »
Fair points mate but Al also ha sa ponit. Bar Ali none of our "top players"  are consistent enough these days.

Yeah but that's kinda contradictory to the idea that they've let anyone down. If they're not good enough then they've been overachieving until the last month or so.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4822 on: Today at 01:36:06 am »
Hey Ho.

What is your opinion?

For me there isn't one person - it's been a club effort. At the top of the club money has been available to make big investments when needed. The recruitment side of things have brought in way more hits than misses. Klopp has then coached/managed that group of players brilliantly. Plenty of players have held up their side of the bargain (however good the coaching, they have to step on the pitch and get results). The youth setup has brought through TAA. Anfield is still one of the few grounds in the world that can get into the heads of even the best visiting teams.

So for almost a decade the club at all levels has been performing at an elite level. When Klopp leaves one of those elite cornerstones will be absent and so I would not be surprised to see a drop off in performance. But if that happens it won't mean that Klopp has been responsible for everything good we've seen the last few years, just a sizeable proportion of it.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4823 on: Today at 01:37:04 am »
I think that's quite a childish way of looking at football. As ever, these things go better when it's a team effort, aligned from top to bottom. The best thing FSG have done, and the most important in them overseeing this period of success, was hiring Klopp - I think we agree on that. Klopp is a genius and over that period of time, I don't think any other manager would have been able to compete with City the way he was.

Can they replicate that? It'll be a tough act to follow, but hopefully with the right structure in place we'll have a chance of doing well again with an inferior manager (not a slight on anyone, they're all inferior to Klopp).

Fuck me did you really say that with the right structure in place we have a chance of doing well again. I take it you don't make your living from doing motivational speeches?

We are one of the biggest club on the planet. We have one of the biggest revenues on the planet.

Forget that. Hey hum with the right structure in place we MIGHT have a chance of doing well.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4824 on: Today at 01:41:53 am »
For me there isn't one person - it's been a club effort. At the top of the club money has been available to make big investments when needed. The recruitment side of things have brought in way more hits than misses. Klopp has then coached/managed that group of players brilliantly. Plenty of players have held up their side of the bargain (however good the coaching, they have to step on the pitch and get results). The youth setup has brought through TAA. Anfield is still one of the few grounds in the world that can get into the heads of even the best visiting teams.

So for almost a decade the club at all levels has been performing at an elite level. When Klopp leaves one of those elite cornerstones will be absent and so I would not be surprised to see a drop off in performance. But if that happens it won't mean that Klopp has been responsible for everything good we've seen the last few years, just a sizeable proportion of it.

How was it a club effort when Edwards left, when Ward left, when Gordon left, when Graham left.

How was it a club effort when Jorg arrive as an interim DoF.

There has been fuck all club effort and very much a Klopp effort. No wonder he is fucked and is walking away. No wonder we have fell apart since Klopp said he was walking away.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Avens

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4825 on: Today at 01:44:07 am »

things will get worse from now on.

What is your opinion?

Can they replicate that? It'll be a tough act to follow, but hopefully with the right structure in place we'll have a chance of doing well again

Fuck me did you really say that with the right structure in place we have a chance of doing well again. I take it you don't make your living from doing motivational speeches?

You really are Trump, just with better political views. Goodnight Al. Sleep it off mate.

Offline Avens

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4826 on: Today at 01:46:23 am »

Excellent post Sammy.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4827 on: Today at 01:52:20 am »
How was it a club effort when Edwards left, when Ward left, when Gordon left, when Graham left.

How was it a club effort when Jorg arrive as an interim DoF.

There has been fuck all club effort and very much a Klopp effort. No wonder he is fucked and is walking away. No wonder we have fell apart since Klopp said he was walking away.

That's an easy question to answer I think. When people left they didn't take their good work with them. We continued to benefit from their good decisions.

You could argue that the performance on the pitch has dropped off it's peak since some of those backroom people moved on. Personally I wouldn't agree with that analysis - I think it is more a natural process whereby a world class team can only maintain that level for so long before age and fatigue takes its toll. But given the last three years we've had a bad season, a good season and an ugly season and given that one of the constants of those season has been Klopp I'd be pretty reluctant to argue that it is him that's been behind all of the success and others that have been responsible when we've fallen short.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4828 on: Today at 01:55:56 am »
You really are Trump, just with better political views. Goodnight Al. Sleep it off mate.

Don't you get the point we are one of the richest clubs on the planet. Yet you are stating that with the right structure in place we will have a chance of doing well again.

That is fucking nuts.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Avens

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4829 on: Today at 02:00:49 am »
That's an easy question to answer I think. When people left they didn't take their good work with them. We continued to benefit from their good decisions.

You could argue that the performance on the pitch has dropped off it's peak since some of those backroom people moved on. Personally I wouldn't agree with that analysis - I think it is more a natural process whereby a world class team can only maintain that level for so long before age and fatigue takes its toll. But given the last three years we've had a bad season, a good season and an ugly season and given that one of the constants of those season has been Klopp I'd be pretty reluctant to argue that it is him that's been behind all of the success and others that have been responsible when we've fallen short.

Excellent post Sammy.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4830 on: Today at 02:02:49 am »

I will make it easy for you.

Klopp+Mainz=success
Klopp+Dortmund=success
Klopp+Liverpool=success

Dortmund+other managers=failure
FSG+other managers=failures

What do you think is the main contributing factor?
« Last Edit: Today at 02:04:55 am by Eeyore »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Avens

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4831 on: Today at 02:04:03 am »
Don't you get the point we are one of the richest clubs on the planet. Yet you are stating that with the right structure in place we will have a chance of doing well again.

That is fucking nuts.

Yes... in direct response to you saying things will get worse from now. They might, but I imagine we'll still have some fun days to look forward to. Not too sure which part of that viewpoint is fucking nuts. You're feeling far too gloomy to do anything but argue with everything, even if it means arguing against yourself.

Online King_doggerel

• "What the fuck is a baldrick?"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4832 on: Today at 02:05:52 am »
Yeah I agree. We’d need Arsenal and City to pretty much lose 2 of their remaining games. Unlikely but not impossible.

don;t do it to yourselves

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4833 on: Today at 02:23:40 am »
I will make it easy for you.

Klopp+Mainz=success
Klopp+Dortmund=success
Klopp+Liverpool=success

Dortmund+other managers=failure
FSG+other managers=failures

What do you think is the main contributing factor?

Since Klopp left, Dortmund have finished 2nd five times, 3rd twice, and 4th once. So they've hardly dropped into midtable.

Rodgers came very close to winning the league with us. Obviously it turned sour pretty quickly afterwards but I don't think anyone is arguing that he's anywhere near Klopp's level.

If you wanted to follow the argument through the looking glass you could end up arguing that if FSG had just hired Klopp after sacking Hodgson he would have been challenging for titles and European honours with the likes of Mignolet Downing and Carroll.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4834 on: Today at 02:36:02 am »
Since Klopp left, Dortmund have finished 2nd five times, 3rd twice, and 4th once. So they've hardly dropped into midtable.

Rodgers came very close to winning the league with us. Obviously it turned sour pretty quickly afterwards but I don't think anyone is arguing that he's anywhere near Klopp's level.

If you wanted to follow the argument through the looking glass you could end up arguing that if FSG had just hired Klopp after sacking Hodgson he would have been challenging for titles and European honours with the likes of Mignolet Downing and Carroll.

Dortmund won titles under Klopp.

They have won fuck all since then.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
« Reply #4835 on: Today at 02:48:52 am »

That is fucking nuts.

I could be wrong but I take in this case “structure” to mean management and upstairs people. We’ve always been a big global club, but for 30 years it didn’t help us win a league. It takes the right management team along with players and recruitment staff etc to have a “chance of doing well” IE winning.
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #4836 on: Today at 02:49:07 am »

Not getting involved with you and Al’s ‘discussion’, but Dortmund have never really got over Klopp leaving, as much as they used to pretend they did.  And there’s been that sense of regret that they didn’t do what needed doing, and what Klopp didn’t want them to do - break up and rebuild the team, and get him to stay, rather than the other way round.

Bayern have dropped 10 levels in this time also don’t forget.  And league positions can be a bit deceptive, they’ve gone through too many coaches, they’ve underachieved at a time when the league was there for the taking in about 4 seasons since he left, in which they failled to win it.  But hey, if they win the CL this year, maybe finally they can move on  ;D

But I don’t think it’ll be the same for Liverpool, as they have the ‘prestige’ and ability to pay bigger fees and the huge wages that BVB never did.

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4837 on: Today at 02:49:40 am »

We were a mess, a banter club for five years under FSG, and going nowhere until Klopp arrived. FSG managed to sack three managers in that time. The best thing they've ever done for the club and their investment was hiring him. I really believe in that we'd still be hovering around midtable if Klopp wasn't here. He gave us a life, and a purpose, united us, and guided us out of the mess. now I'm getting all emotional.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Online Razors Razor

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4838 on: Today at 03:05:03 am »
We were a mess, a banter club for five years under FSG, and going nowhere until Klopp arrived. FSG managed to sack three managers in that time. The best thing they've ever done for the club and their investment was hiring him. I really believe in that we'd still be hovering around midtable if Klopp wasn't here. He gave us a life, and a purpose, united us, and guided us out of the mess. now I'm getting all emotional.

Yup. Fun times ahead :/