Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 864945 times)

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #8280 on: October 12, 2021, 01:40:42 pm »
I was looking at the A52 but am seriously thinking about moving away from Samsung and getting a Redmi Note 10 Pro,just as good a phone imo but £160 cheaper.

Had my Redmi Note 10 Pro for about 4 months now and absolutely love it. Great screen, battery life and not had any issues with ads etc that seems to get mentioned.

It had a few odd little quirks to begin with, but these were software and recent updates have sorted them (how notifcations were being displayed, the spacing looked odd).

Paid mine in installments through Amazon - feels like I've got a top range phone with 120hz screen and haven't really noticed the money going out over the months in comparison to dropping £800 on a Samsung Galaxy or iPhone.
JFT97

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #8281 on: October 12, 2021, 02:34:10 pm »
yes my wife needs a new phone and is adamant she wants to stay with samsung

trying to push her towards the redmi note 10 pro

I actually think our electricity bills have gone down owning it, instead of 3 hour charges a day im doing often only 1 hour every two days.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8282 on: October 12, 2021, 02:52:42 pm »
I use a Redmi note 10s and I am quite happy with it. At home and work, we have wifi and battery lasts 2 days without any issues. I listen to songs enroute to and from work, click a couple of photos every week and play some 30 mins of games every day. I check my mails, whatsapp and fitbit are the other things that I use the phone for. No instagram and no facebook though. I am quite happy with it. Costed 240 Euros 4 months ago. Its now 190 or 200 something.

Edit: 2 days might be a stretch. But when I reach home the 2nd day, I have 8%-10% left.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 02:56:29 pm by ChaChaMooMoo »

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8283 on: October 12, 2021, 06:30:34 pm »
Had my Redmi Note 10 Pro for about 4 months now and absolutely love it. Great screen, battery life and not had any issues with ads etc that seems to get mentioned.

It had a few odd little quirks to begin with, but these were software and recent updates have sorted them (how notifcations were being displayed, the spacing looked odd).

Paid mine in installments through Amazon - feels like I've got a top range phone with 120hz screen and haven't really noticed the money going out over the months in comparison to dropping £800 on a Samsung Galaxy or iPhone.
How do you pay in installments? Doesn't give me the option when I checkout

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #8284 on: October 13, 2021, 10:29:02 am »
How do you pay in installments? Doesn't give me the option when I checkout

I seem to get these options on certain items, it doesn't always show up - for instance if I search for one now it's not giving the payment plan options but there is a Sony phone that is.

Must be some random offers they periodically show for customers. Also I have Prime with them so not sure if that makes a difference.
JFT97

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #8285 on: October 14, 2021, 12:52:45 pm »
Xiaomi.eu English ROM on my Mix 4 and I'm in notchless heaven!

Selfies ain't bad neither for a camera under the screen

Another Xiaomi win

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #8286 on: October 31, 2021, 03:14:18 pm »
I was long overdue an upgrade, so went from an iPhone 8 to a new 13.

Since upgrading, my Twitter videos don’t play properly. I’ll get that spinning wheel or they will play and stop after about 15-20 seconds.

Any ideas?

Can’t be a signal issue as happens on both Wi-Fi and 4G.

I think my Husband has a similar issue sometimes on his Huwaei but we thought it was an Android thing.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8287 on: October 31, 2021, 06:22:48 pm »

Since upgrading, my Twitter videos don’t play properly. I’ll get that spinning wheel or they will play and stop after about 15-20 seconds.

Any ideas?

I think my Husband has a similar issue sometimes on his Huwaei but we thought it was an Android thing.
Same happens to me on Wi-Fi on my Huwaei.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #8288 on: October 31, 2021, 07:12:58 pm »
I think it's the Twitter app

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #8289 on: November 4, 2021, 09:23:40 am »

Any ideas?

I was going to post similar (also 13). Have cleared cache, reinstalled app etc etc but still the same. Videos for ads play straight away, of course, but vids from other sources lag before starting then sometimes stop and start again. Has to be the app as I don't get that issue with any other playback on social media apps.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #8290 on: November 4, 2021, 01:17:03 pm »
god I love not having a notch

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8291 on: November 22, 2021, 09:31:38 am »
Need to get a new mid-low range mobile, what are the best options out there for phones not pre-loaded with a bunch of bloatware?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8292 on: November 22, 2021, 09:45:08 am »
Pixel 6 is your best bet.
Got my wife the standard one for 650 euros with financing for 12 months at 0%.
No bloatwares. And every customisation possible there is.
If thats too much, then go for Nokia. They also use vanilla android, the same as google pixels. But they are not as durable as the pixels.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8293 on: November 22, 2021, 09:47:02 am »
Pixel 6 is your best bet.
Got my wife the standard one for 650 euros with financing for 12 months at 0%.
No bloatwares. And every customisation possible there is.
If thats too much, then go for Nokia. They also use vanilla android, the same as google pixels. But they are not as durable as the pixels.

Noice, ta.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #8294 on: November 22, 2021, 10:06:02 am »
The Pixel 5a is pretty good as well and a lot cheaper. Released in August I think
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #8295 on: November 22, 2021, 10:18:04 am »
There are loads of £200 ish really good phones around, Poco, Mi?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8296 on: November 24, 2021, 10:32:05 am »
There are loads of £200 ish really good phones around, Poco, Mi?

Oppo Find X3 Lite Smartphone £269.10 / Reno4 Pro £241 / Reno 5G Smartphone £189.05 With Codes @ Oppo Store

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/oppo-find-x3-lite-smartphone-ps26910-reno4-pro-ps241-reno-5g-smartphone-ps18905-with-codes-at-oppo-store-3833253

All very adequate phones. The Reno 5G if you have 5G sim plans

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8297 on: November 24, 2021, 02:03:04 pm »
Oppo Find X3 Lite Smartphone £269.10 / Reno4 Pro £241 / Reno 5G Smartphone £189.05 With Codes @ Oppo Store

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/oppo-find-x3-lite-smartphone-ps26910-reno4-pro-ps241-reno-5g-smartphone-ps18905-with-codes-at-oppo-store-3833253

All very adequate phones. The Reno 5G if you have 5G sim plans

Yeah not like a few years back when a "cheap" phone was God awful. Nowadays £250 gets you 120Hz, 64 Gig +sim, good chip, decent cameras etc etc

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8298 on: November 24, 2021, 02:33:00 pm »
Yeah not like a few years back when a "cheap" phone was God awful. Nowadays £250 gets you 120Hz, 64 Gig +sim, good chip, decent cameras etc etc

It's strange to look at it now as 5-10 years ago there were 3 tiers of phones

The shite tier - Nokia, wish.com knock offs etc

Mid tier - Oneplus, OPPO, Realme, xiaomi

The God Tier phones like Samsung, Apple, Huawei (pre google ban) etc

Now there really are only 2 tiers

God Tier and Mid Tier. Just the brands and prices have shifted

Oneplus is now not the Flagship killer any more but operate like they are god tier Samsung equivalents

Phones haven't really been hit as much by the silicon crisis that has hit the PC market because there has been a major shift in mobile processing power. The latest 5G snapdragon chips have been on paper less powerful than last years equivalents (but with 5G included). But consumers haven't complained about the difference. This allows the chip companies to get a better silicon efficiency whilst still maintaining their demand

Apple do fall out of this as they now supply their own chipsets for their iphones, ipads and imacs.

Also people aren't scoffing at seeing £1,000+ phones now. They aren't arsed about losing the headphone jack and packed in wall charger. The God tier will still dominate and they will still have queues when the iPhone 14 and Samsung 22 comes out next year. But the lower tier has a lot of space to operate.

*Should say that I still wouldn't pay £1000 for a phone (even over 12, 18 or 24 months) and am pissed off there is no more headphone jack and wall charger
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 02:35:22 pm by gazzalfc »

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8299 on: November 24, 2021, 05:45:04 pm »
Thanks for the tips, folks.  Picked up the standard Reno 4 in the end and it's peachy.  Only problem is I cannot get rid of that poxy swipe left to get to Google feature on the home screen.  Been through a million different guides online but none of them ever seem to have the exact same settings as this phone and I'm losing my mind.

Other than that, all good.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8300 on: November 24, 2021, 05:58:20 pm »
Thanks for the tips, folks.  Picked up the standard Reno 4 in the end and it's peachy.  Only problem is I cannot get rid of that poxy swipe left to get to Google feature on the home screen.  Been through a million different guides online but none of them ever seem to have the exact same settings as this phone and I'm losing my mind.

Other than that, all good.

Download a launcher (nova launcher) and that runs instead and change the gestures

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8301 on: November 24, 2021, 06:26:09 pm »
Download a launcher (nova launcher) and that runs instead and change the gestures

Yeah I've been thinking of doing that anyway to sort the icons out.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8302 on: November 25, 2021, 12:38:21 am »
Went with the pixel 6 for my upgrade and I’m loving it compared to my p30 pro. The screen, cameras and speakers are a miles better bar the zoom in function in the camera of the p30 pro. In the specs the display is smaller in the pixel but side by side the pixel screen looks bigger, possibly due to it being flat rather than curved screen. The software looks more modern with android 12 stock where the colours blend more with the new ui thing.

I’ve an iPad Pro with a 120hz screen and going from that to the 60hz was a bit jarring where as I can’t tell the difference on the 90hz screen. I’ve seen it side by side with a 120hz phone and can only tell the difference once I really focus on both screens.

Only downside so far is charging is a lot slower at 21w max if you have the right charger. I’m using an 18w so it’s not great at all.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8303 on: November 25, 2021, 12:45:32 am »
Forgot to say that the speech to text feature once you have it set correctly is mental. I’ve not seen anything like it on any other phone.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #8304 on: November 26, 2021, 07:54:39 am »
Forgot to say that the speech to text feature once you have it set correctly is mental. I’ve not seen anything like it on any other phone.

Does it heat up? 
Phuk yoo

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8305 on: November 26, 2021, 01:06:20 pm »
Does it heat up? 
on initial setup and when charging it gets a bit warmer than I would like. Other than that no but then I don't play games on my phone.

Forgot to mention that the fingerprint scanner isn't great but I reckon that will improve somewhat after some updates.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #8306 on: December 2, 2021, 06:40:13 pm »
Got myself a Poco X3 Pro for my Christmas presant yesterday first time I have had a new phone for 7 years loving it so far can play all the games I throw at it like call of duty and a great battery life with the 5,160 mAh battery that with 33w charging only takes about an hour to fully charge it says.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8307 on: December 2, 2021, 06:58:23 pm »
Got myself a Poco X3 Pro for my Christmas presant yesterday first time I have had a new phone for 7 years loving it so far can play all the games I throw at it like call of duty and a great battery life with the 5,160 mAh battery that with 33w charging only takes about an hour to fully charge it says.

Do you play golf clash ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #8308 on: December 2, 2021, 07:25:43 pm »
No not tried it yet my old phone was so old that nothing hardly worked on it couldn't get on the Internet and just used it with no credit but the health center and the UC people could still ring me and text me and if I needed a code that had to be sent to your mobile number.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8309 on: December 2, 2021, 07:32:42 pm »
No not tried it yet my old phone was so old that nothing hardly worked on it couldn't get on the Internet and just used it with no credit but the health center and the UC people could still ring me and text me and if I needed a code that had to be sent to your mobile number.

Have a go,can also get you an invite to our LFC clan.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #8310 on: December 3, 2021, 10:15:34 am »

The proximity sensor sucks though. 

Great phone otherwise. Snapdragon 860 at 200 odd is great.  It has a notification LED as well, which is a dying feature, so more points for it.  Not to mention a headphone jack.

It can play Genshin Impact at the highest settings and framerate, which is something no phone in its price range can do.

Phuk yoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #8311 on: December 3, 2021, 10:19:16 am »
on initial setup and when charging it gets a bit warmer than I would like. Other than that no but then I don't play games on my phone.

Forgot to mention that the fingerprint scanner isn't great but I reckon that will improve somewhat after some updates.

I love the use of 2 Cortex X1 cores in the SOC.   The GPU is also massive and can handle anything you throw at it.

How is the night camera?  The previous pixel had a great camera despite having a middling processor. With a top end SOC, I am interested to see how this performs. They have hyped up its AI capabilities like anything.
Phuk yoo

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8312 on: December 4, 2021, 12:07:06 am »
I'm due an upgrade from EE on my Samsung S10e (its only 4g), but I don't really know the lay of the land with phones.

I'm in no rush to change phones - like the size and android/samsung (this my first phone after leaving iphones), and never spend my 60gb data - so I could always get a SIM only with more data than I'll ever need for 20 a month.

But there do appear to be some nice-ish deals on 5g phones though (Google Pixel 6 and Samsung S21 are available) - I'm just not sure if planning for 5g is something I need to start considering (since this'll be my phone for the next 18-24 months)

Anyone with more of a clue than me able to tell me how much I should factor in having a 5g ready handset? (and a great data allowance)

Or reassure me that I don't need to bother for the next couple of years, and I should get a cheap sim only upgrdae instead?

Thanks!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8313 on: December 4, 2021, 11:56:45 am »
Decent little site for comparing phones

https://versus.com/en/phone

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #8314 on: December 4, 2021, 01:42:20 pm »
I'm due an upgrade from EE on my Samsung S10e (its only 4g), but I don't really know the lay of the land with phones.

I'm in no rush to change phones - like the size and android/samsung (this my first phone after leaving iphones), and never spend my 60gb data - so I could always get a SIM only with more data than I'll ever need for 20 a month.

But there do appear to be some nice-ish deals on 5g phones though (Google Pixel 6 and Samsung S21 are available) - I'm just not sure if planning for 5g is something I need to start considering (since this'll be my phone for the next 18-24 months)

Anyone with more of a clue than me able to tell me how much I should factor in having a 5g ready handset? (and a great data allowance)

Or reassure me that I don't need to bother for the next couple of years, and I should get a cheap sim only upgrdae instead?

Thanks!

Depends on how much you use mobile data as opposed to wifi. 5G network coverage in the UK is spotty at best, currently and to be honest 4g is fast enough for anything you are going to do on a smartphone.

5g network penetration will obviously get much better over the next couple of years. Your current phone is good enough for now and you will not be missing much to be honest.
Phuk yoo

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8315 on: December 5, 2021, 01:39:35 am »
Depends on how much you use mobile data as opposed to wifi. 5G network coverage in the UK is spotty at best, currently and to be honest 4g is fast enough for anything you are going to do on a smartphone.

5g network penetration will obviously get much better over the next couple of years. Your current phone is good enough for now and you will not be missing much to be honest.

Thanks mate, appreciate you making sense of the UK situation for me!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #8316 on: December 8, 2021, 07:30:55 am »
Thanks mate, appreciate you making sense of the UK situation for me!

It will be a few years before 5G becomes widespread in the UK. Even then, unless you are watching 4K videos online or downloading torrents, 5G speeds will offer no real advantage. 
Phuk yoo

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8317 on: December 12, 2021, 09:46:25 pm »
I still have fond memories of blowing peoples minds when I appeared on MSN messenger from a pub via WAP on a Nokia 3330 in 2002.

Skip forward less than 20 years and we all have what are basically super computers in our pockets which contain our entire lives.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8318 on: December 13, 2021, 12:03:35 pm »
It will be a few years before 5G becomes widespread in the UK. Even then, unless you are watching 4K videos online or downloading torrents, 5G speeds will offer no real advantage.

Yeah, I don’t see any real advantage in using 5 G at the moment. We have full networks here in HK, but I don’t really know that many people actually using it. Since they implemented hard download limits a few years ago, not many people use mobile data plans for home use anymore. Most are now on fibre optic at home.

There really isn’t a use case for 5G at all IMO.

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #8319 on: December 13, 2021, 03:04:10 pm »
Anybody else get really bad signal with Three? Recently switched to them from Voda an seriously regretting it. Anytime I am indoors its a pain in the arse getting a decent signal.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly