Author Topic: Android Phones - Apps and stuff  (Read 258754 times)

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Android Phones - Apps and stuff
« Reply #240 on: October 21, 2010, 03:55:04 pm »
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #241 on: October 21, 2010, 08:30:25 pm »
Glalaxy S is immense
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: October 22, 2010, 12:11:32 pm »
Winamp is out on the market. Great replacement for the stock Music app.

Offline callanlfc5times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: October 22, 2010, 12:21:13 pm »
I'm looking for a Liverpool wallpaper/theme for my android phone (HTC Wildfire) Is there any knocking around?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE
FOR THE 96
JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline gaz_h

• Main Stander
« Reply #244 on: October 22, 2010, 12:26:48 pm »
Winamp is quality. As it's still in beta I hope they add an equalizer.

Has anyone heard the rumour that the new YouTube app design is what Gingerbread is going to look like?

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: October 22, 2010, 01:42:24 pm »
Winamp is quality. As it's still in beta I hope they add an equalizer.

Has anyone heard the rumour that the new YouTube app design is what Gingerbread is going to look like?

Supposedly, yes.

The only leaked images/videos at the moment are this:

... and this which I saw today, the animation when you shut off the screen:

http://www.talkandroid.com/18549-gingerbread-blinking-power-off-video/

Offline gaz_h

• Main Stander
« Reply #246 on: October 22, 2010, 03:16:27 pm »
Yeah. When I saw the picture I instantly thought it was fake and just someone with a rooted Froyo build, but the screen off animation has made me think otherwise...

Quick question, I've heard Gingerbread will incorporate some GPU acceleration into the OS and I was wondering does that fare well for the recent handsets? I know the Galaxy S will be fine (if it ever gets it) but I was thinking more along the lines of Nexus One/Desire, both without decent GPU chips.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #247 on: October 22, 2010, 05:14:34 pm »
you da man adam. seriously, i've used winamp for 14 years on PC, and its not bad on the android!

just needs to take over the lock-screen and it would make the stock music player redundant.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: October 23, 2010, 11:08:31 am »
you da man adam. seriously, i've used winamp for 14 years on PC, and its not bad on the android!

just needs to take over the lock-screen and it would make the stock music player redundant.

If you use the desktop version of Winamp then you've got the bonus of wireless syncing. I'm a Mac user so miss out on this :(

Given that it's only in beta at the moment I imagine more features are set to come in the future, looks promising so far!

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #249 on: October 23, 2010, 11:55:04 am »
Seeing as the Stock music app is CRAP with navigation on HTC :/ (stops playing when directions given) does Winamp do this?

Offline sattapaartridge

• Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #250 on: October 23, 2010, 01:17:19 pm »
Seeing as the Stock music app is CRAP with navigation on HTC :/ (stops playing when directions given) does Winamp do this?

winamp also seems to load album art quicker (even if the filesize is larger than the standard) also, it seems to play all types of mp3's the HTC stock doesnt register like 100 of my mp3's but winamp does.

this could be the start of something big i tellsya. but they should rename it to DroidAmp ;)

never really use the Car/Navigation mode, so cant tellsya.

.adam, the screenshot thing is pretty cool. i'll upload some pics when i get time.

Offline sattapaartridge

• Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #251 on: October 29, 2010, 03:29:02 pm »
winamp does have a lock screen. its just shitter than the sense lock screen, but does the trick anyway.

Offline NCrawley

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #252 on: November 7, 2010, 09:11:04 pm »
Is there an app or a way of having the wifi/3g network on standby without draining the battery too much? As at the moment if I want to load an app or something that requires the internet I have to go to setting turn it on, go home and then go back into the app/internet and then do it all again to turn it off. However my battery is poor anyway (Desire) so is there anyway around this without draining the battery even more?

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #253 on: November 7, 2010, 11:22:46 pm »
Is there an app or a way of having the wifi/3g network on standby without draining the battery too much? As at the moment if I want to load an app or something that requires the internet I have to go to setting turn it on, go home and then go back into the app/internet and then do it all again to turn it off. However my battery is poor anyway (Desire) so is there anyway around this without draining the battery even more?

if you add a widget to your homescreen then select settings there are on/off toggles for wifi,bluetooth,network in there or you can get extended controls off the market, very customizable widget with loads off options

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #254 on: November 16, 2010, 01:37:30 pm »
Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKOWK2dR4Dg&feature=player_embedded

First few minutes shows an unannounced phone that looks like the Samsung Nexus S, saying gingerbread will be out in a few weeks and showing off a little feature of it. Tap to pay basically. Photos here: http://www.engadget.com/photos/eric-schmidt-shows-off-a-nexus-s-at-the-web-2-0-summit/#3573758

LG also announced the first dual-core phone: http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/16/exclusive-lgs-4-inch-android-phone-with-dual-core-tegra-2-and/

Big changes in the android world.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:43:38 pm by El Torres »

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: November 16, 2010, 01:46:55 pm »
Anyone who uses the game Angry Birds have any issues with the final stage of the game and not working properly or is it just me who is sad and rather addicted to it? Seems to be a problem on the Android system and won't allow you to complete the final 17th egg. But all seems fine on the iphone.

I know it's a tedious thing and a game, but it's annoying too.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #256 on: November 29, 2010, 06:48:26 am »
Anyone who uses the game Angry Birds have any issues with the final stage of the game and not working properly or is it just me who is sad and rather addicted to it? Seems to be a problem on the Android system and won't allow you to complete the final 17th egg. But all seems fine on the iphone.

you just need more practice :D

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #257 on: November 29, 2010, 06:48:43 am »
Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKOWK2dR4Dg&feature=player_embedded

First few minutes shows an unannounced phone that looks like the Samsung Nexus S, saying gingerbread will be out in a few weeks and showing off a little feature of it. Tap to pay basically. Photos here: http://www.engadget.com/photos/eric-schmidt-shows-off-a-nexus-s-at-the-web-2-0-summit/#3573758

LG also announced the first dual-core phone: http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/16/exclusive-lgs-4-inch-android-phone-with-dual-core-tegra-2-and/

Big changes in the android world.
dual core phone! christ!

Offline INABITSKI

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: November 29, 2010, 02:43:01 pm »
you just need more practice :D

On what Con? Having read up on it, there is some fault on the Android phones and no one can finish it due to the last game being buggered. I blitzed through the entire game in a couple of weeks, playing here and there. So shut it.  ;D

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: November 30, 2010, 10:32:24 am »
Does anyone know of a way of uninstalling some of the sucky apps that come on the phone? E.g. default browser, Samsung Apps etc. I never use them.

Samsung Galaxy S.

The other thing is, I can't download Froyo through Kies. It's such a piece of shit software and doesn't recognise my phone. I had to format the internal SD card just to be able to transfer files to and from my phone. It won't let me get Froyo though for some reason :(

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: November 30, 2010, 10:33:38 am »
On what Con? Having read up on it, there is some fault on the Android phones and no one can finish it due to the last game being buggered. I blitzed through the entire game in a couple of weeks, playing here and there. So shut it.  ;D

Which level are you talking about?

Offline INABITSKI

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: November 30, 2010, 01:22:41 pm »

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #262 on: November 30, 2010, 04:24:07 pm »
It sucks, i played so much of Crazy birds on the ITouch, had every level fully completed, everything was a 3star up to the point i stopped playing about a month ago... Now, ill have to start it all again on the Desire :(

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #263 on: November 30, 2010, 04:31:13 pm »

On mine it lags badly in the last games of each sections.

winamp also seems to load album art quicker (even if the filesize is larger than the standard) also, it seems to play all types of mp3's the HTC stock doesnt register like 100 of my mp3's but winamp does.

can you pause/forward when the screen is lock with winamp? Ive stopped using it because i didnt know how to use it when the screen is lock like in the htc player.
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline JoeK

• Legacy Fan
  • Come on you tricky reds...
« Reply #264 on: November 30, 2010, 04:50:39 pm »
Alright boys and girls.

Who has rooted their phone? and what site/program did you use.

I'm looking to do this but I, obviously, want to know it works and is good.

I've got a HTC Desire if that helps :)
What bits does it have? Because as long as there's not eight inches of slaghammer down there, I'd be up it like a rat up a drainpipe

Offline PILLSBURY069

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #265 on: November 30, 2010, 08:59:28 pm »
Glalaxy S is immense

I love my galaxy but my battery drains constantly even after turning everything I can off, how long do you get out of your battery?
Who ate all the pies?????? I DID!!!!!!!!!!

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #266 on: December 1, 2010, 07:08:34 pm »

Doesn't help if you're pissing about on it all day. I've had mine off charge since 6 this morning, over 13 hrs now, with wi fi on and it's still on 77%. Probably sent and received 10 texts today.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: December 1, 2010, 07:44:18 pm »
Doesn't help if you're pissing about on it all day. I've had mine off charge since 6 this morning, over 13 hrs now, with wi fi on and it's still on 77%. Probably sent and received 10 texts today.

Sending txts to yourself doesnt drain that much battery Keith..haha

Rule of thumb for me is charge the battery every night but it helps when I have a car charger and 2 in my house, kitchen and bedroom...
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #268 on: December 1, 2010, 07:53:49 pm »
another angry birds out today chrsitmas & halloween levels 'angry birds seasons' on market = free

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #269 on: December 2, 2010, 08:08:56 am »
Sending txts to yourself doesnt drain that much battery Keith..haha

Rule of thumb for me is charge the battery every night but it helps when I have a car charger and 2 in my house, kitchen and bedroom...

:P
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #270 on: December 4, 2010, 01:39:45 pm »
playin the Alchemy game since yesterday eve... its rather cool... have unlocked 71 of 330 thus far, so ive a long way to go... but i have a zombie, i reckon i need to get a gun for me gun powder to shoot him ! :D

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: December 5, 2010, 09:58:03 am »
Gingerbread (2.3) is meant to be out tomorrow, folks.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #272 on: December 5, 2010, 10:00:09 am »
Gingerbread (2.3) is meant to be out tomorrow, folks.
do you know what cool features or fixes it will bring?

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: December 5, 2010, 11:58:08 am »
I havent even got 2.2 yet...
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline Surprise me.

• Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #274 on: December 5, 2010, 12:28:19 pm »
Not sure about that myself, Google have got a Chrome event on the 7th, doubt they would release Gingerbread the day before, have to wait and see of course.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/03/chrome-event-confirmed-by-google-for-december-7th/

Offline Surprise me.

• Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #275 on: December 6, 2010, 12:51:00 pm »
Turns out something is going on.. everything will be revealed around 6.30pm San Francisco time.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/06/nfc-certification-program-announced-just-in-time-for-android-2-3/

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: December 6, 2010, 01:57:51 pm »
Told ya :)

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #277 on: December 6, 2010, 02:00:25 pm »
does anyone have a Samsung Galaxy S!?

I wanted to update to 2.2 so I installed the KIES software... however when it tries to update itseld it says downloading 23785/38000kb lets say.... but then it keeps going infinitely!! it got to the point it was downloading 500000/38000kb now last time i check you can't download 500mb or 38mb but whatever!

so I am stuck on Android 2.1 ???

Offline Surprise me.

• Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #279 on: December 6, 2010, 07:21:08 pm »
does anyone know of a good app/player that will allow me to stream sports from p2p sites?
I was looking for veetle and so forth from myp2p.eu , but couldnt see them in the app store