Author Topic: FA Cup: Wolves 2 v Liverpool 1 Jimenez ‘37 Neves ‘55 Origi ‘50  (Read 50167 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
When I started my Journalism Masters, the first three lessons we were taught were: don’t swear unless it it adds something to what you’re writing, avoid cliches like the plague (see what I did there), and never talk about yourself.

But fuck that. This preview will have more fucking cliches than you can shake a stick at.

Liverpool’s season to date has been, arguably, the best in living memory. To come through 20 games unbeaten in an increasingly competitive Premier League is a testament to the quality and mental strength of Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool team.

Facing Manchester City at the Etihad promised to be a tough fixture and it proved just that. On another day, Ederson scores that own-goal. Hell, with another ref, Kompany would’ve been off. But it wasn’t to be. Now Liverpool face a new task this season: to bounce back and do so in style.

The F.A Cup fixture against Wolverhampton Wanderers presents the perfect opportunity to show our progress

In late January 2017, a weakened Liverpool side faced a Conor Coady inspired Wolves team in an F.A Cup fourth round fixture at Anfield. It’d been a tough month for the Reds, with only one victory in their eight fixtures and first-half goals by Stearman and Weimann for Wolves compounded a miserable month for Liverpool. Origi pulled a late goal back, but Klopp’s difficult relationship with the F.A Cup continued and the Reds ambled out of England's historic competition.

Fast forward a couple of years and things couldn’t be more different for the two clubs. Wolves have now been promoted and their season is going fantastically. The West-Midlands team are 13 points clear of relegation and may be looking to see if they can qualify for Europe - be it through league position, or, more optimistically, through the F.A Cup.

Liverpool, meanwhile, are back to where they belong: challenging for the league and established in Europe. Klopp's squad is immeasurably stronger and lacks the defensive and mental fragility of times gone by.

For many fans, pre Manchester City, the F.A Cup was seen as a poison chalice, an unwanted distraction. Not all, but a substantial number, of Liverpool fans would happily see them meekly surrender to focus on bigger, more lucrative competitions.

But fortunately, it’s unlikely that Klopp will see it that way.

His biggest criticism to date is a lack of trophies, something that can provide a sense of tangibility to Liverpool’s clear progression. That, alongside Liverpool’s first Premier League loss of the season, will likely lead Klopp to play a stronger team than many would presume.

The line-up and questions for Klopp

Alisson will undoubtedly have his feet up back in Liverpool for this fixture, with Mignolet deputising. It’s a brilliant opportunity for the perfectly amiable  Belgian to showcase his talents and possibly sign-off his Liverpool career with a trophy.

With Clyne now leaving for Bournemouth, Liverpool are once again struggling in defensive positions. It seems likely that Moreno will come in for Robertson - despite the former’s undoubted aversion to not playing. But it’s the right-back spot that will be most interesting. Will Klopp stick with Trent? Or maybe he’ll shoehorn Camacho in despite recent links away from the club. Many want Van Dijk to be rested, but with limited squad depth and a desire to bounce back from their recent league loss, will the possible inclusion of Nat Phillips put Liverpool at risk of back-to-back losses in 2019?

Wholesale changes are to be expected in midfield and attack. Klopp will likely take the opportunity to give Keita, Lallana and Shaqiri a few more minutes, while Sturridge and Origi are the most likely candidates to lead the forward line.

In these fixtures, Klopp tends to start one of Mane, Salah or Firmino, so who seems the best choice? And how can Klopp ensure that the fixture doesn’t end up in a dreaded replay?

Final comments

Liverpool’s last F.A Cup triumph was back in 2006, a final in which Steven Gerrard once again demonstrated that he was England and Liverpool’s best leader in recent history.

The Reds have reached many finals since and the F.A Cup remains a fantastic opportunity for the current crop of Reds to write a little bit of their own history.

At 7pm, when the starting XI is released, the strength of the Liverpool line-up will likely dictate how seriously we’ll take the Cup this season and I, for one, hope we go for it.

Pre-match facts

1. This will be the seventh FA Cup meeting between Wolves and Liverpool – Wolves have won four of the previous six, including the last such meeting in January 2017 (2-1 at Anfield).

2. Liverpool have been eliminated from five of their last seven FA Cup ties against fellow Premier League opponents.

3. Wolves are winless in their last six home FA Cup games (D2 L4), since beating Doncaster in a replay in round three in 2010-11.

4. Liverpool haven’t been knocked out at this stage of the FA Cup since the 2010-11 season, when they lost 0-1 against Man Utd.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2019, 08:59:53 pm by Tepid T₂O »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: FA Cup: Wolves v Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: January 7, 2019, 06:13:18 pm »
Commentary:

First Half

Jillc 1-15
Tepid16-30
Zlen 31-45

Second Half:

Crimson Tank 46-56
Dutch Red 57-75
Teshle 76-90

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 7, 2019, 06:33:53 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 7, 2019, 06:48:24 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 7, 2019, 07:36:25 pm »
Updated Commentary Team:

Commentary:

First Half

Jillc 1-15
Tepid16-30
Zlen 31-45

Second Half:

Dutch Red 45-75
Teshle 76-90

Good luck to our new commentators, let's hope they bring some luck to our team tonight.  ;D

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5 on: January 7, 2019, 07:41:31 pm »
Light and fireworks at the start.. not a fan of this..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 7, 2019, 07:42:37 pm »
Trying to get the crowd up for it, the magic of the cup hey.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 7, 2019, 07:43:35 pm »
Teams are on the pitch, a great chance to see a couple of real prospects in Jones and Camacho, hope they have good games. A minute's applause for Bill Slater who was a former Wolves captain who won the FA Cup.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 7, 2019, 07:45:17 pm »
1 Liverpool kick off.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 7, 2019, 07:47:42 pm »
2' A determined start by both teams. Fabhino forced to put in a defensive header after Wolves attack. We get the ball away and attack down the field.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 7, 2019, 07:48:54 pm »
Lovren has picked up an injury here folks..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 7, 2019, 07:49:48 pm »
3' Our first real attack into Wolves territory involving Keita, Milner and Shaqiri, but Wolves regain the ball before we can create anything.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 7, 2019, 07:50:30 pm »
Hoever is coming on here.!  Blimey. Good luck kid.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 7, 2019, 07:50:44 pm »
4' Looks like Hoever is coming on for his debut. Good luck kid.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 7, 2019, 07:51:49 pm »
5' I have heard a lot about this lad from people recently really hope he makes an impression.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 7, 2019, 07:52:09 pm »
Hoever is coming on here.!  Blimey. Good luck kid.

Youngest FA Cup player for us.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 7, 2019, 07:52:36 pm »
6' A ball goes through and Sturridge is there, but the goalkeeper just manages to smother the ball.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 7, 2019, 07:54:06 pm »
8' A lovely run by Keita there, who then passes beautifully to Sturridge, but the flag goes up.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 7, 2019, 07:55:40 pm »
9' Great bit of play there from Camacho, who manages to win the ball half way down the wing, pushes on a beautiful pass to Sturridge who then loses the ball.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 7, 2019, 07:56:43 pm »
10' First bit of real pressure for Wolves there, a deflected shot goes wide.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 7, 2019, 07:58:35 pm »
12' Hoever comes under pressure there, but he deals well with it and passes back to Mignolet.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 7, 2019, 07:59:56 pm »
13' Keita is working really hard in midfield getting hold of loose balls every now and then. A bit ping-pong at the moment between the teams.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 7, 2019, 08:00:55 pm »
14' Milner fouls a Wolves player and they have a free kick. But the ball goes high over the bar.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 7, 2019, 08:01:24 pm »
15' Over to Tepid.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 7, 2019, 08:01:29 pm »
14' Milner fouls a Wolves player and they have a free kick. But the ball goes high over the bar.
Should have left that. He was trying to protect Hoever who had it covered.
W

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #25 on: January 7, 2019, 08:02:41 pm »
13' Keita is working really hard in midfield getting hold of loose balls every now and then. A bit ping-pong at the moment between the teams.
Very soft yellow that - ref is a definite pedant

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 7, 2019, 08:04:12 pm »
18 no flow to this game so far.  Two very changed teams.

But despite the changes Liverpool are sticking with our tried and tested style of play.

Good tackle by Hoever to stop a wolves break.  He had drifted up field somewhat.

W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 7, 2019, 08:04:25 pm »
All our young lads are doing well at the moment, none of them are overrawed.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 7, 2019, 08:06:32 pm »
Hoever very nervous -  Fab clearly  feeding the ball to him to help him 'play it out of his system '

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 7, 2019, 08:07:35 pm »
Fabhino has been very impressive so far. He's very quick to close down when he can.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 7, 2019, 08:08:30 pm »
22 Hoever and Camacho look very very comfortable on the ball.

Milner sticking very close to them both trying to talk them through the game.  A very odd game this though.  Wolves haven’t really got going, neither have we, but it’s an entirely new line up so I kind of understand that.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 7, 2019, 08:10:56 pm »
Where are Camacho and Hoever lined up?

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 7, 2019, 08:12:22 pm »
26 nothing really is happening.  The pitch is really odd too.  It seems to have very little bouncy.  The ball dies on it.

Break down the left by wolves here.  The cross is blocked by Hoever.  Wolves want a penalty, but the ball didn’t even hit his hand.

Corner to wolves which is headed behind with no threat,
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 7, 2019, 08:13:58 pm »
28. Magnificent through ball by Keita and it just eludes Origi.

W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 7, 2019, 08:15:26 pm »
22 Hoever and Camacho look very very comfortable on the ball.

Milner sticking very close to them both trying to talk them through the game.  A very odd game this though.  Wolves haven’t really got going, neither have we, but it’s an entirely new line up so I kind of understand that.

Very odd game. Wolves clearly setup to play on the counter but not really getting the opportunity to do so.

Liverpool playing a formation that maintains our shape without any real creativity.

Just odd to watch

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
FA Cup: Wolves v Liverpool
« Reply #35 on: January 7, 2019, 08:16:14 pm »
30 ball into the wolves box isn’t cleared well.  Shaqiri shanks a shot wide.

Over to Zlen for his debut.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2019, 08:16:49 pm by Rush 82 »
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 7, 2019, 08:16:51 pm »
Maybe Wolves were expecting us to go stronger, the changes in line up seem to have effected them far more. We really need to get Shaqiri into the game more.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 7, 2019, 08:18:53 pm »
32 All kids pretty impressive so far, it has to be said. Nice tackle from Jones gets us the ball, but it quickly again gets lost in this never ending midfield pin pong.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 7, 2019, 08:19:37 pm »
33 Wolves break but Hoever intercepts and saves the day.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 7, 2019, 08:20:03 pm »
We are lacking a bit of movement in midfield, hopefully that can be adjusted a bit more.