Author Topic: UEFA Champions League. Klopp's got a semi  (Read 320598 times)

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
Re: UEFA Champions League. LFC in last sixteen. Bayern Muller-light?
« Reply #2400 on: March 7, 2019, 12:26:24 pm »
Yeah, let's beat Bayern and see where it will all lead  8)
None of the teams who advanced are better than us, maybe Lyon can pull off a shock too!
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2401 on: March 7, 2019, 01:03:31 pm »
Im actually very confident for this.

Our defence is rock solid and we are set up to play away in Europe in the knock-out stage attacking wise.

I reckon 0-2
Our away form has been dreadful, mate.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2402 on: March 7, 2019, 01:20:25 pm »
Our away form has been dreadful, mate.

We have the 2nd best away record in the league. We've lost our away games in Europe but that doesn't mean we can't get a result. I am sure you'll point out the results away from home against the big sides [1-1 v Chelsea, 1-1 v Arsenal, 2-1 vs City, 0-0 vs United] however we don't need to win the game to go through. A 1-1 takes us through.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2403 on: March 7, 2019, 01:44:38 pm »
That's Kimmich that's suspended not Coman.

Oh yes good point!

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2404 on: March 7, 2019, 01:51:39 pm »
We have the 2nd best away record in the league. We've lost our away games in Europe but that doesn't mean we can't get a result. I am sure you'll point out the results away from home against the big sides [1-1 v Chelsea, 1-1 v Arsenal, 2-1 vs City, 0-0 vs United] however we don't need to win the game to go through. A 1-1 takes us through.

Mate, we've barely had a shot on target in an away game in Europe this season, other than a penalty in Paris

Offered zero in Naples
Made Belgrade look like Barcelona
Could possibly have had a massive stuffing in Paris

If Klopp goes with the Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum midfield again then we'll deservedly get knocked out

Not saying we can't do it, but if we're as passive as we have been in the 3 away group games then we haven't a prayer

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2405 on: March 7, 2019, 01:58:32 pm »
Mate, we've barely had a shot on target in an away game in Europe this season, other than a penalty in Paris

Offered zero in Naples
Made Belgrade look like Barcelona
Could possibly have had a massive stuffing in Paris

If Klopp goes with the Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum midfield again then we'll deservedly get knocked out

Not saying we can't do it, but if we're as passive as we have been in the 3 away group games then we haven't a prayer

I'm aware of all of that, I am only providing context.

We aren't going with Milner ,Wijnaldum and Henderson as the midfield 3 when Fabinho is clearly by now a key part of the midfield. he wasn't at the time when we played any of those 3.

We played Milner Keita and Wijnaldum against Napoli away, and Keita was stretchered off within the first 20 minutes.  So Klopp didn't go with that 3 from the get go.

Against Red Star he started Lallana,Milner and Wijnaldum. Henderson wasn't even on the bench.

The time he did select those 3 was against PSG [the same midfield 3 that did a fantastic job against them at Anfield], and again, by now Fabinho has integrated fantastically into the side and will be a key player for us in the 2nd leg. Keita may even be involved as well. So while all 3 were poor performances they weren't down to those 3 you named alone. We played poorly collectively as a team. We did alright against PSG in comparison to the other two but we are in a much better position midfield wise since then.

We need to play well to go through no doubt, regardless of who is playing in midfield.

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2406 on: March 7, 2019, 02:10:47 pm »
I'm aware of all of that, I am only providing context.

We aren't going with Milner ,Wijnaldum and Henderson as the midfield 3 when Fabinho is clearly by now a key part of the midfield. he wasn't at the time when we played any of those 3.

We played Milner Keita and Wijnaldum against Napoli away, and Keita was stretchered off within the first 20 minutes.  So Klopp didn't go with that 3 from the get go.

Against Red Star he started Lallana,Milner and Wijnaldum. Henderson wasn't even on the bench.

The time he did select those 3 was against PSG [the same midfield 3 that did a fantastic job against them at Anfield], and again, by now Fabinho has integrated fantastically into the side and will be a key player for us in the 2nd leg. Keita may even be involved as well. So while all 3 were poor performances they weren't down to those 3 you named alone. We played poorly collectively as a team. We did alright against PSG in comparison to the other two but we are in a much better position midfield wise since then.

We need to play well to go through no doubt, regardless of who is playing in midfield.

Henderson came on for Keita at Napoli
Lallana offered less in his appearance in Belgrade in a completely failing midfield
PSG could've been a rout they ran riot until we got a pen

I've seen nothing in our away European games to provide a lot of confidence

Agree that it's not the fault of just the midfield it has been 3 collective failures and needs a 1000% improvement on what we've offered this season

Question is are they going to turn up and give it a go or are they just going to accept their fate, that's down to both the players and the managers ambition to continue in this years comp

But given the previous performances in Europe and the fact that we're in fairly average form scoring 3 in last 5 away league game, think it's going to take a large turnaround in what we've seen so far in Europe and more recently in the league

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2407 on: March 7, 2019, 02:20:26 pm »
Henderson came on for Keita at Napoli
Lallana offered less in his appearance in Belgrade in a completely failing midfield
PSG could've been a rout they ran riot until we got a pen

I've seen nothing in our away European games to provide a lot of confidence

Agree that it's not the fault of just the midfield it has been 3 collective failures and needs a 1000% improvement on what we've offered this season

Question is are they going to turn up and give it a go or are they just going to accept their fate, that's down to both the players and the managers ambition to continue in this years comp

But given the previous performances in Europe and the fact that we're in fairly average form scoring 3 in last 5 away league game, think it's going to take a large turnaround in what we've seen so far in Europe and more recently in the league

Agree, I am not very hopefully for this game. We haved crumbled in all games where we have been in a hostile environment.

Thankfully all our remaining away games in the League is against relative "friendly" teams.

Offline Andypandimonium

• Kopite
« Reply #2408 on: March 7, 2019, 02:20:46 pm »
All those Euro aways were in 2018 though. Ask PSG or the Mancs whether form in 2018 is now relevant? We know the lads have to put in a better performance, but based on how the away teams have done in the knockout stages so far, we must have a wee chance with Klopp's selected 11, no? Just hope they don't turn it on like we know they can, beat Bayern, then draw one of the English clubs. That wouldn't be helpful for the league challenge. Wouldn't be bad for the big cup though! What a time to be alive  :D :scarf :scarf

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2409 on: March 7, 2019, 02:22:04 pm »

Huge overstatement considering the quality players we have. us getting a result away from home would not be that surprising or shocking. We aren't playing with pub players here

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2410 on: March 7, 2019, 02:25:28 pm »
                  Allison
     TAA Matip VVD Robbo
         Henderson Gini
             Shaqiri
    Salah, Mane, Howie Gayle
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2411 on: March 7, 2019, 02:55:45 pm »
Huge overstatement considering the quality players we have. us getting a result away from home would not be that surprising or shocking. We aren't playing with pub players here

Nobody is saying the quality of players to get a result isn't there or we're a pub team, the opinion is based on what has been served up so far this year away in Europe - In my opinion (and we're all entitled to one), given how we've played this year away from home in Europe then it would be surprising
« Last Edit: March 7, 2019, 03:10:50 pm by Tiz Lad »

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2412 on: March 7, 2019, 03:02:23 pm »
Nobody is saying the quality of players to get a result isn't there or we're a pub team, the opinion is based on what has been served up so far this year away in Europe - In my opinion (and we're all entitled to win), given how we've played this year in Europe then it would be surprising

That's literally one game.

Which we probably should have won to nil.

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2413 on: March 7, 2019, 03:09:21 pm »
That's literally one game.

Which we probably should have won to nil.

What game away in Europe this season should we have won to nil?

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #2414 on: March 7, 2019, 03:29:32 pm »
Bayern's Improbables or Suspended

Kingsley Coman
Arjen Robben
Josh Kimmich
Tolisso
David Alaba
Thomas Muller
Jerome Boatang

Getting Back into the Swing of It

Leon Goretzka
Frank Ribery

Likely

Neuer
Hummels
Sule
Rafina
Tiago
Lewandowski
Gnabry

I hope we bring the passion, and quality in the final third.  And get after their marking backs.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Dubai_Red

• Can smell nullshit from 4,608 miles away
  • Kopite
« Reply #2415 on: March 7, 2019, 03:39:58 pm »
This late in the season, I hope Klopp goes with last years pressing. Defence along with Fabinho can protect the other end.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #2416 on: March 7, 2019, 03:47:17 pm »
Bayern's Improbables or Suspended

Kingsley Coman
Arjen Robben
Josh Kimmich
Tolisso
David Alaba
Thomas Muller
Jerome Boatang

Getting Back into the Swing of It

Leon Goretzka
Frank Ribery

Likely

Neuer
Hummels
Sule
Rafina
Tiago
Lewandowski
Gnabry

I hope we bring the passion, and quality in the final third.  And get after their marking backs.
Spiffy new name, Trent!  :thumbup ;)
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #2417 on: March 7, 2019, 03:49:50 pm »
This late in the season, I hope Klopp goes with last years pressing. Defence along with Fabinho can protect the other end.
Yep. I think we all wish for that- especially now that we've had a rest. We should have enough in the tank to do it for 13/14 games or so.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2418 on: March 7, 2019, 06:01:57 pm »
Spiffy new name, Trent!  :thumbup ;)

Whomever is the culprit of this transgression, fully deserves a few pints. 

Agreed Spiffy!

:wellin :wellin
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #2419 on: March 8, 2019, 01:06:21 am »
There’s a bit of Real-light about Bayern, in that they look a spent force but still have that ability to somehow get through. Though, we score one and we’re through IMO. Can’t see our back five letting in two.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #2420 on: March 8, 2019, 04:19:40 am »
It's all about our attacking forces this time. I just hope our front three are far more choreographed in terms of movement, like last season.

Our defenders, hhnnnnssss they are all performing like Son Goku so, no problem!!!

As being stated above, "Can't see our back five letting in two." -- Please, just one goal please from our attackers. Just one goal.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #2421 on: March 8, 2019, 04:58:37 am »
Henderson - Fabinho - Keita

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2422 on: March 8, 2019, 05:57:21 am »
Henderson - Fabinho - Keita

Think Hendo and Fab will start, after Hendo had a good game in the 1st leg. However, I think that Klopp might pick Keita for Burnley, and go with Shaq and we play a more traditional 4-2-3-1 to accomodate him.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #2423 on: March 8, 2019, 10:17:49 am »
I would be mightily surprised by Klopp if Keita or Shaqiri start. Fabinho-Henderson-Wijnaldum probably.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #2424 on: March 8, 2019, 04:39:14 pm »
I would be mightily surprised by Klopp if Keita or Shaqiri start. Fabinho-Henderson-Wijnaldum probably.
I hope not. I like all three of those players individually but I think that as a midfield three its too conservative and I'd prefer someone like Keita who, although he's yet to show his best ability, adds something that the rest of our midfielders don't.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2425 on: March 8, 2019, 05:35:23 pm »
I hope not. I like all three of those players individually but I think that as a midfield three its too conservative and I'd prefer someone like Keita who, although he's yet to show his best ability, adds something that the rest of our midfielders don't.

I agree. I believe those 3 started against United and Everton due to the physical nature of both fixtures and intensity

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2426 on: March 8, 2019, 07:59:13 pm »
I agree. I believe those 3 started against United and Everton due to the physical nature of both fixtures and intensity

deFacto, I agree with you and I think you are the first person to post this from what I can remember of the thread.

For years now the media has always hyped up the Man U and the Everton games, and quite often the game never lives up to the hype. It is usually a back yard brawl with cards handed out like candy.  I think Kloppo went with a physical midfield for that reason. The only way to improve on that is to have some physical midfielders that have the traits that some on here have said the three together lack. 

I remember one of the Liverpool greats on "100 Players That Shook The Kop" say - that the teams he was in "if another team wanted to play footie we could play footie, and if the other team wanted a brawl we could brawl" or something to that effect. It seems to me that a Rolls Royce side to win many trophies in a season has to have all of the tools to deal with any type of game - I think we are still a few players short to be able to shift gears and play like that Liverpool legend said his side could.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2019, 08:03:38 pm by GeorgiaRed »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2427 on: March 8, 2019, 08:10:30 pm »
deFacto, I agree with you and I think you are the first person to post this from what I can remember of the thread.

For years now the media has always hyped up the Man U and the Everton games, and quite often the game never lives up to the hype. It is usually a back yard brawl with cards handed out like candy.  I think Kloppo went with a physical midfield for that reason. The only way to improve on that is to have some physical midfielders that have the traits that some on here have said the three together lack. 

I remember one of the Liverpool greats on "100 Players That Shook The Kop" say - that the teams he was in "if another team wanted to play footie we could play footie, and if the other team wanted a brawl we could brawl" or something to that effect. It seems to me that a Rolls Royce side to win many trophies in a season has to have all of the tools to deal with any type of game - I think we are still a few players short to be able to shift gears and play like that Liverpool legend said his side could.

Yes exactly, and I didn't mind the midfield against United before the match. However what was frustrating was the lack of midfield change once the game went on and United were playing with a 2nd string midfield. But that's another story

In this particular match I don't see why we would go with that lineup.  I think Keita is certain to start in Munich

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2428 on: March 8, 2019, 08:25:07 pm »
Yes exactly, and I didn't mind the midfield against United before the match. However what was frustrating was the lack of midfield change once the game went on and United were playing with a 2nd string midfield. But that's another story

In this particular match I don't see why we would go with that lineup.  I think Keita is certain to start in Munich

That's because it won't be a back yard brawl.   ;)  but I do think it will be a good game of footie.  ;D

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2429 on: March 8, 2019, 09:54:55 pm »
Fancy us big time. There must be a mistake or 2 in there passing around at the back. Just need to make sure they don’t get through our pressing too much or we could be caught short

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2430 on: March 8, 2019, 11:02:32 pm »
Fancy us big time. There must be a mistake or 2 in there passing around at the back. Just need to make sure they don’t get through our pressing too much or we could be caught short

With. Virgil back we should be able to take the game to them.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2431 on: March 8, 2019, 11:16:40 pm »

Yeah we need a Souness.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #2432 on: March 9, 2019, 09:22:45 am »
If we start off well I’m confident we can get a result. I feel going out of the CL will derail our charge for the prem. We need as many competitive games against top sides as possible now as we’re not firing on half cylinders never mind full.

Hopefully he doesn’t play Hendo, Milner and Gini in the centre, I’ll go for Keita, Fab and Hendo for this one and give Shaq a run later on in the game. He won’t but that’s what I want

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #2433 on: March 9, 2019, 10:02:36 pm »
Bayern thrashed Wolfsburg 6-0 . Very good performance. They are in high confidence. Lets send a reply to them by thrashing Burnley by at least 7 goals.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2434 on: March 9, 2019, 10:05:22 pm »
Bayern thrashed Wolfsburg 6-0 . Very good performance. They are in high confidence. Lets send a reply to them by thrashing Burnley by at least 7 goals.
or just bring them down to earth Wednesday

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #2435 on: March 9, 2019, 10:06:01 pm »
or just bring them down to earth Wednesday

Why cant we do both? No need to choose.  :D
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #2436 on: March 9, 2019, 10:16:26 pm »
Id like to see Shaqiri and Milner to start, weve been toothless going forward of late, Milner had a rediculous amount of assists last CL campaign and Shaqiri knows how to score, go hard at them.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2437 on: March 9, 2019, 10:28:29 pm »
Id like to see Shaqiri and Milner to start, weve been toothless going forward of late, Milner had a rediculous amount of assists last CL campaign and Shaqiri knows how to score, go hard at them.

Set plays were the reason he/NK did not get a sniff (I doubt Burnley or Bayern will change this) --- although he might come off the bench.

Unless, JK is setting a trap?
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2438 on: March 9, 2019, 10:33:09 pm »
Why cant we do both? No need to choose.  :D
ok you win :)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2439 on: March 11, 2019, 11:49:41 am »
Robben out with a calf injury, Conman should be fit for them [I suspect Alaba will as well he didn't take part of this weekend]