Author Topic: Skybet Championship Thread 2018/19  (Read 85427 times)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Skybet Championship Thread 2018/19
« Reply #1240 on: May 16, 2019, 12:01:16 am »
Leeds properly bottled it though. They were a cert for promotion not too long ago.

Exactly. They were 1st for half a season with a decent lead and then it looked like they'd finish 2nd and then went to the play-off spot. Bottled it today as well. This was not a Lampard masterclass or anything, Leeds were 2-0 up in the tie, and then their CB & GK make that calamitous mistake that let Derby back in. And then, they concede a penalty just like that. They proper bottled it.

The sub at half-time from Lampard was good though, the main difference I saw from Derby as opposed to the 1st leg was that they upped their physicality a bit to match Leeds and that helped them a lot.

Derby over Villa please.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1241 on: May 16, 2019, 12:05:17 am »
Despite his club allegiances I can’t help but want Lampard to do well as a manager. I think he sees the game in a good way.

His tactics are still a work in progress, but the way he handles is players is very good. I've seen some interviews and post-match discussions with him earlier in the season (while I was following Wilson's games) and he handles himself well & talks really well of his players.

Looks like they really want to play for him.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1242 on: May 16, 2019, 12:08:18 am »
What you got against Villa?  We usually stuff them home and away.

Really? You may want to brush your memory, we're for some reason not very good at Anfield against them. We play better away though.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #1243 on: May 16, 2019, 12:11:24 am »
If Leeds keep Bielsa and back him in the summer then they should get automatic promotion in the next season. They imploded tonight but they've got enough about them to be too good for it all next year.

Lampard has done himself good there with the redemption win after losing 3 straight to Bielsa. Lampard v Terry in the playoff final is proper cockney melodrama and I'd love to see them going at it on the touchline after a fracas.

If Derby get promoted and we're not going to play Wilson then we might as well loan him there for another year and then sell, we'd get 35m+ for him easy with a year in the Prem and Edwards negotiating. Their best players are on loan from Liverpool and Chelsea and they would struggle even with them again in the Premier League but thats what you have contacts for. Derby and Sheffield Utd would get less than 40 points combined next season.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1244 on: May 16, 2019, 05:19:25 am »
Thought Leeds were better over the 180 minutes but that's playoff/cup football.  All it takes is a bad 10-20 minutes and it's all over.  PL is worse off for it in that Leeds is an interesting story and Bielsa would be hilarious.  Thought Derby won inspite of Frank, not because of him.  You almost have to hope for his sake that they lose to Villa as he'll get found out pretty badly without a squad that's one of the most expensive in the league in which they play.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #1245 on: May 16, 2019, 06:10:27 am »
Glad Derby won, that Bamford is a proper cheat, hopefully they beat Villa.
Don’t mind Lampard either.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1246 on: May 16, 2019, 08:52:19 am »
Can't wait to see that Richard Keogh against our front 3 if Derby go up. Sunday league defender him

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1247 on: May 16, 2019, 09:21:15 am »
Thought Leeds were better over the 180 minutes but that's playoff/cup football.  All it takes is a bad 10-20 minutes and it's all over.  PL is worse off for it in that Leeds is an interesting story and Bielsa would be hilarious.  Thought Derby won inspite of Frank, not because of him.  You almost have to hope for his sake that they lose to Villa as he'll get found out pretty badly without a squad that's one of the most expensive in the league in which they play.

Don't want Villa winning at all.

Would rather Derby go up.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Kopite
« Reply #1248 on: May 16, 2019, 10:23:08 am »
I personally would have liked Leeds back in the Premier League......they are an established club and have passionate fans even if a few are mindless. Having said that there was talk of Jimmy Milner going there if they got promoted. If their failure means he stays, then the result is a good one.
They are an established club in the Championship  8)

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1249 on: May 16, 2019, 02:01:04 pm »
Just as we always suspected...

Sheffield United funded by £3million loan from 'Osama Bin Laden family', court told

Sheffield United received a £3million loan sourced from the family of Osama Bin Laden, a court has heard today.

United’s co-owners – Kevin McCabe and Prince Abdullah Bin Mosaad Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud – are currently locked in a High Court battle for control of the newly-promoted Premier League club.

The pair’s relationship broke down two years ago and the case centres around the terms of a buyout provision in their initial investment agreement from 2013.

On the fourth day of the hearing, the court was presented with evidence regarding a £3m loan from Prince Abdullah which, his barrister said, links the club to relatives of Bin Laden.

According to the Sheffield Star, Andreas Gledhill QC, leading Prince Abdullah’s legal team, said that McCabe was aware the loan in question came from “the Bin Laden family”.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1250 on: May 16, 2019, 02:02:53 pm »
100% B(in) Lade(n)

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1251 on: May 16, 2019, 02:08:15 pm »

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1252 on: May 16, 2019, 02:10:11 pm »
100% B(in) Lade(n)
They're going to have to re-edit When Saturday Comes to show Osama celebrating the late winner from Sean Bean.

And there we were thinking Bin Laden was a gooner. He always was a bit of a surprise, that lad.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1253 on: May 17, 2019, 10:18:21 am »
Boro sack pulis

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1254 on: May 17, 2019, 10:22:50 am »
Boro sack pulis
Not surprised.

They averaged a goal a game this season with Pulis's dinosaur prehistoric football.

49 goals in 46 games is shocking football.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1255 on: May 17, 2019, 10:27:40 am »
Boro sack pulis

They just didn’t extend his contract, which I think is even better.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Kopite
« Reply #1256 on: May 17, 2019, 11:17:16 am »
It always surprised me that Boro went for Pulis in the first place.  They always seemed to be a team that liked playing decent attacking football.  Maybe that opinion is only based on the Juninho, Ravanelli, Emerson period as I was growing up but it never seemed a good fit to me.

Offline exCite

• Anny Roader
  • Form Is Temporary, Class Is Permanent.
« Reply #1257 on: May 17, 2019, 12:16:50 pm »
They just didn’t extend his contract, which I think is even better.

I sure is, he won't get extra money for being sacked.
We Remember them with pride,
Those mighty reds of Shankly's side.
And Kenny's boys of '88,
There's never been a side so great.

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1258 on: May 17, 2019, 12:41:06 pm »
Wonder where Pulis rocks up next? I know teams at the bottom of the Premier League tend to get desperate around November-January time, but surely the last few seasons have shown that his tactics have diminishing returns these days, especially at the very top level. Next Cardiff manager to replace Warnock at the end of next season perhaps?

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1259 on: May 17, 2019, 12:57:38 pm »
Only 4 teams scored less goals than Boro, & they finished 16th & lower, with 2 of them relegated, Pulis is a dinosaur of a manager, who still get another job though. :no
#Sausages

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1260 on: May 17, 2019, 09:05:57 pm »
This Charlton/Doncaster game is pretty fun!

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1261 on: May 17, 2019, 09:11:27 pm »
Going to be like 1997 all over again, what a game that was. Clive Mendonca.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1262 on: May 17, 2019, 09:33:55 pm »
Wow...

Edit: Charlton's manager is Lee Bowyer?  LOL
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:36:31 pm by BrandoLFC »

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1263 on: May 17, 2019, 09:56:15 pm »
Wow again.......

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1264 on: May 17, 2019, 09:58:11 pm »
Allez Allez Allez at the Valley  :o

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1265 on: May 17, 2019, 10:24:06 pm »
Pens about to start.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #1266 on: May 17, 2019, 10:25:27 pm »
Allez Allez Allez at the Valley  :o
Love the way all these smaller teams like to mock us yet will happily rip all our songs.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1267 on: May 17, 2019, 10:29:17 pm »
Love the way all these smaller teams like to mock us yet will happily rip all our songs.
Crazy mate. It’s at so many grounds now.

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1268 on: May 17, 2019, 10:30:53 pm »
Hate these pitch invasions. Should be kicked out if you allow fans on the pitch like that. Doncaster players did well not to punch the c*nts.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1269 on: May 17, 2019, 10:33:25 pm »
Pitch invasions boil my piss

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #1270 on: May 17, 2019, 10:48:44 pm »
Embarrassing that pitch invasion, so small time, clubs should be fined. Not like they've been promoted yet either, it's like us doing it after beating Barca.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline BrandoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1271 on: May 17, 2019, 11:53:48 pm »
Embarrassing that pitch invasion, so small time, clubs should be fined. Not like they've been promoted yet either, it's like us doing it after beating Barca.

They should carry the goals off the field as well!

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #1272 on: May 19, 2019, 10:24:51 am »
I'm not a fan of the play offs at all, for many reasons.
1. Firstly, they seem to reward 'failure'. The teams who won the league, and the other team automatically promoted, 'miss out' on the ' entertainment' (although they are guaranteed promotion)
2. The teams who 'failed' to go up automatically get their day out at Wembley, again while the 'successful' teams miss out.
3. A cup is given to the 'winners'.
4. The possible points difference between the teams. This year, Charlton were 15 points ahead of Doncaster, after narrowly missing out of going up automatically. Leeds were 9 points ahead of Derby, again just missing out on going up automatically, yet will not go up this year again.
So what are the solutions?
1. Top 3 go up. They have deserved it at the end of the season? It won't happen, because Sky demand the drama.
2. A goals advantage to the teams that finish significantly ahead of their opponents. As I mentioned, Charlton finished 15 points ahead of Doncaster. Why should they start a play off game level? What about a goal start for every X amount of points? My example is not the greatest, because I was going to say a goal start for every 2 points that a team finished ahead, but I think teams must be rewarded for finishing higher.
3. A one off game (and not at Wembley) between the team that finished 4th bottom against the team that finished 3rd in the lower league, if you are not going to'reward' higher finishing teams.
The system is wrong. Entertaining at times, but wrong. They are rewarding the wrong teams.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #1273 on: May 20, 2019, 07:10:35 am »
I'm not a fan of the play offs at all, for many reasons.
1. Firstly, they seem to reward 'failure'. The teams who won the league, and the other team automatically promoted, 'miss out' on the ' entertainment' (although they are guaranteed promotion)
2. The teams who 'failed' to go up automatically get their day out at Wembley, again while the 'successful' teams miss out.
3. A cup is given to the 'winners'.
4. The possible points difference between the teams. This year, Charlton were 15 points ahead of Doncaster, after narrowly missing out of going up automatically. Leeds were 9 points ahead of Derby, again just missing out on going up automatically, yet will not go up this year again.
So what are the solutions?
1. Top 3 go up. They have deserved it at the end of the season? It won't happen, because Sky demand the drama.
2. A goals advantage to the teams that finish significantly ahead of their opponents. As I mentioned, Charlton finished 15 points ahead of Doncaster. Why should they start a play off game level? What about a goal start for every X amount of points? My example is not the greatest, because I was going to say a goal start for every 2 points that a team finished ahead, but I think teams must be rewarded for finishing higher.
3. A one off game (and not at Wembley) between the team that finished 4th bottom against the team that finished 3rd in the lower league, if you are not going to'reward' higher finishing teams.
The system is wrong. Entertaining at times, but wrong. They are rewarding the wrong teams.

The playoffs have been held for the last 30 years and the clubs know the rules at the start of every league season, so the teams that finish 3rd have only themselves to blame. Particularly as this season, Leeds could have gone up automatically had they beaten the likes of Ipswich, Brentford, Wigan during the last month.

The playoffs are necessary in that they add a gloss to the end of the season, that undoubtedly raises the value of tv rights for the Football League. The system isn't broken but that doesn't mean you cannot tamper with it slightly.

One option would be to give the teams that finish 3rd or 4th a second chance. Essentially the teams finishing 3rd and 4th play each other over two legs first, with the winner progressing to the playoff final. The loser can then play the winner of the tie between the teams that finished 5th and 6th. It adds two additional matches at the end of the season, but seems fairer.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1274 on: May 20, 2019, 07:16:49 am »
The playoffs have been held for the last 30 years and the clubs know the rules at the start of every league season, so the teams that finish 3rd have only themselves to blame. Particularly as this season, Leeds could have gone up automatically had they beaten the likes of Ipswich, Brentford, Wigan during the last month.

The playoffs are necessary in that they add a gloss to the end of the season, that undoubtedly raises the value of tv rights for the Football League. The system isn't broken but that doesn't mean you cannot tamper with it slightly.

One option would be to give the teams that finish 3rd or 4th a second chance. Essentially the teams finishing 3rd and 4th play each other over two legs first, with the winner progressing to the playoff final. The loser can then play the winner of the tie between the teams that finished 5th and 6th. It adds two additional matches at the end of the season, but seems fairer.

You've just basically agreed with him. The only reason for the play offs is TV. It's a load of nonsense and needs scrapped, but Sky wont have it. They need "the richest game in football ever and its live"
Also, how is what you suggest fairer than the way it is now? If anything, it's more unfair.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1275 on: May 20, 2019, 07:24:32 am »
The playoffs existed long before sky sports

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #1276 on: May 20, 2019, 07:41:04 am »
You've just basically agreed with him. The only reason for the play offs is TV. It's a load of nonsense and needs scrapped, but Sky wont have it. They need "the richest game in football ever and its live"
Also, how is what you suggest fairer than the way it is now? If anything, it's more unfair.

Yes, I agree that the playoffs only exist because of tv. I made that point clear in my post, so there is no way they can be scrapped. It increases the marketability of the Football League, which is good for its members ultimately.

My suggestion rewards the teams that finish higher in the league by giving them another chance of progressing. Another easier way to implement it is by scrapping the two-legged system and giving home advantage to the teams that finished higher.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1277 on: May 20, 2019, 07:51:06 am »
The playoffs existed long before sky sports

That’s true. It also gives way more clubs something to play for through the season. If the top 3 went up the Championship would have been dead from about February.

You get the odd time where a clearly inferior team goes up but in the whole I think they’re good.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1278 on: May 20, 2019, 08:06:08 am »
The play-offs are a brilliant end to the season,even better when it included 4th from bottom as well.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1279 on: May 20, 2019, 01:19:27 pm »
The play-offs are a brilliant end to the season,even better when it included 4th from bottom as well.

Wasn't it 2 automatically relegated and promoted with the 3rd from bottom and 3rd from top playing a one off? I remember Charlton perennially escaping relegation in those.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258