Author Topic: RAWK Round Table Manchester United 0-3 Liverpool  (Read 40951 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
RAWK Round Table Manchester United 0-3 Liverpool
« on: March 17, 2014, 08:29:16 am »
What to say about a game that always finds me nervous, that always sees both teams 'up for it' and yet as I said to myself, you know what, this isn't a United team to be frightened of, just enjoy it, I relaxed and sat back and grinned like an idiot at what unfolded.

Karma is a wonderful thing if you've behaved and suddenly all the little shitehouse moves that Evra and Vidic used to pull off, all the nasty little attitudes, such as Rafael's, from a vainglorious team of arrogants, came back to hit them.

For me there should've been 4 penalties, two more than we got and one less than we deserved, Sturridge's second was perhaps soft, but you show me a striker in the world that wouldn't have gone down there...
And yet the ref'ing was curious. Rafael should've been sent off for a 2nd yellow, I've never ever seen a handball in the penalty box and not merit such a card, never mind his later take out of Suarez.

We actually didn't look as effective in the box yesterday, Moyes' if not historically Utd's, preference for being cautious meant they sat deep and didn't give us as much space in the box to run into. But still we found a few beautiful passes that enabled us to do so, but the kick and rush feel of this match would always mean it would be mistakes and panics that would lead to goals. And so it was.

Gerrard and especially his attitude was exemplary yesterday. Flanagan somehow wants to show that his commitment is hewn from Carragher rock, and whilst probably Allen and Sterling were the quietest of our lot on the pitch, that 40 point swing from this time last year showed. We had swagger. I didn't even mind the 4 minute Moyesy time at the end. Too busy laughing.
Yep.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: RAWK Round Table Manchester United 0-3 Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 12:38:07 pm »
That was probably the best performance we've put in at Old Trafford since we steamrollered them on Boxing Day '78. Two really difficult away ties in a row have now yielded six goals for us and none against. That is Title-Winning form, but also Title-Winning mentality. How our lads must be looking forward to their next training session. Football can't come soon enough for them. Can the same be said of our rivals?

Flanagan set the tone with 4 or 5 hard tackles in the opposition half within 5 minutes of the start. One of them set up Suarez for a jinking run into the box and (what ought to have been) our first penalty. The galumping Fellaini took two bites of his calf and somehow escaped punishment.

Fellaini seemed detailed to track Sterling in the early stages. He soon gave up though, Sterling proving too quick for him (obviously), too tricky for him (obviously), too wise for him (obviously) and too strong for him (astonishingly). I know Spurs have pissed away the equivalent of the GDP of several African countries this year on transfer dreck, but has there been a single worse acquisition in the last 12 months than Fellaini? Not in this country. David Moyes must have spent the best part of ten years at Goodison dreaming of all the great players he would buy if he ever found a chairman stupid enough to throw him a decent wallet. His chance finally came and....he bought an Everton player! You could sort of understand it if he'd taken Pienaar or Barkley to Old Trafford. But Fellaini? A man who uses his elbows to play football more than his feet.

Gerrard was magnificent. He played an absolute blinder - creative, calm, ferocious and seemingly raising and lowering the heat of the tie at will. Diego Maradona was watching from the stands apparently. He must have felt a sharp twinge of affinity every time our captain got the ball. Jones tried to hack him down by the corner flag early on. It probably hurt Steve. But did he let it show? Did he bugger. He got straight up, took the free kick and got on with it. That's the kind of nonchalant reaction that can kill opponents. It's not nice facing indestructibility.

Raphael should have got a straight red for the hand ball, let alone a second yellow. He was completely undone by Suarez's brilliant first touch and our lad was denied a clear shot on goal. It beggared belief that Raphael stayed. I don't think even he could understand why. What a pen though. 

After that we were tremendous. Earlier in the season teams were routinely getting back at us after we took the lead. But not now. The defence, marshalled superbly by Danny Agger, compressed the space beautifully every time Mata or Rooney got the ball in a central position. Van Persie kept getting caught offside and after the hour mark decided it was time to give up.  How Moyes didn't hook him I don't know. 

Do you remember when Jones (I forget his first name) was talked of as 'the next Gerrard'? It was all on the basis of a solitary driving run from midfield he'd done against Burnley or someone. He looked like a non-league defender yesterday. Joe Allen took the ball expertly on his chest and it was a decently angled run, but he was moving away from goal nonetheless. Jones however clattered him. An absolute gift for the Reds. Game over in the 46th minute.

The best bit of the match, for me, was around the 70th minute mark. United upped the tempo a bit and we seemed to be losing our way for the first time in the match when the ball was cleared to Suarez on the half way line. A gorgeous turn left two of theirs in a heap; a speared pass with the outside of the boot found Sturridge foraging on the right touchline. For the next two minutes Suarez and Sturridge simply ran riot. They were like two fairground bullies spinning the quivering United defence around in a couple of Waltzers. It a warning shot of course. "If you attack us again, we'll do this to you". United didn't attack again.

Lucas came on after the third and racked up 50 passes in just under two minutes. What a boost to have him back (along with Johnson and Agger) for the run in.

Ok, one negative. Henderson was awful in the first half. He lost the ball virtually every time he got it. Check it out again if you don't believe me. He also declined several opportunities to turn on the thing, which is a systemic problem in his game....still. We didn't suffer because of it and he redeemed himself with a strong-running second half performance. But I simply can't believe we can't do better in that position. We're not the finished article yet. There are areas we can still improve on. His position is one I think. I'd hate to lose his commitment and energy. I'd love to see what would happen if we had a player with those qualities and genuine expertise and vision on the ball as well.   

So on too Cardiff.  Can we keep our focus? I think so. We have the right coach who says the right things. And there's such personality in the squad. Our bench is also beginning to like a proper one. Come on Reds.   
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:52:40 pm »
We played as well as our fans might have expected after the season that we have enjoyed, and they played as poorly as their fans might have expected after the season that they have endured. It's wonderful to be a Liverpool fan right now; we have cause for optimism for the remainder of this season and the seasons to come. As for United? Well, even when we were crap we were still capable of having a say in where the title went in May. United under Moyes are incapable of having a say in what they're having for their tea tonight. As predicted, they've been eclipsed.

royhendo

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 01:04:00 pm »
What struck me most was the feeling of comfort throughout. The only moments of light stress I felt (other than the Rafael challenge on Gerrard) were the run ups for the three penalties. It's easy to dismiss the Man United performance - I notice everyone's queuing up to do that; but Liverpool suffocated them regardless. The players are habitually finding the diagonals - the lead up to the first pen saw a pin ball one touch build-up that zig zagged its way up the pitch at breakneck speed. Mignolet's distribution was, dare I say it, calm. At the final whistle, the players calmly filed off, Rodgers shook Moyes by the hand, and that was that. This is business as usual with the new Liverpool. It all feels a bit British Cycling, doesn't it? A scary thought.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:18:52 pm by royhendo »

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 01:42:40 pm »
My own sentiments as per Eye Witness report

In that second goal the Manchester United once feared was killed. 2 penalties at Old Trafford? Unheard of. The fact they came to us just underlines the changing of the guard that everyone talks about.

Unbeaten in 2014. This is Liverpool.
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 01:45:58 pm »
Interesting in regards to Henderson. I've not had the opportunity to watch a replay but from being there he didn't seem to be that bad in the first half. The United midfield in all fairness were as ineffective as they could be bar one move in the first half. To be that starved speaks volumes about how much we've matured as a unit.
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 02:23:29 pm »
I think we're maybe being too harsh on Henderson, Me personally I thought Henderson and Allen done a brilliant job, constantly pressing the Utd midfield one pressed while the other chased the pass and it caused Utd to panic, yes he did misplace a couple of passes in the first half but I think that was due to the high tempo we were playing at. Off course playing a side with a better midfield we might have got punished for it but then again it was united maybe he got cocky like our captain taking the third penalty…….
His pass to Allen which won the penalty and the slide pass for Sturridge in the first three minutes was great and these are the kind of balls that's he started doing far more often recently give him time he's far from a finished article but his pros outweigh his cons by a country mile. He’s only going to get better under Rodgers

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 03:04:25 pm »
Didn't Henderson play a couple of nice through balls in the first half? Certainly remember the one that sent Sturridge through on goal and another nice slip to Suarez who then sent Sturridge through.

His first touch was off but he still had a few moments of quality I thought. Those through balls are certainly becoming more regular.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 03:11:10 pm »
bump
Yep.

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 03:23:50 pm »
Didn't Henderson play a couple of nice through balls in the first half? Certainly remember the one that sent Sturridge through on goal and another nice slip to Suarez who then sent Sturridge through.

His first touch was off but he still had a few moments of quality I thought. Those through balls are certainly becoming more regular.

speaking of which why has he stopped those backheels,he went through a phase early January where every attack seemed to end with a back heel  ;D

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 03:34:59 pm »
Harsh on Henderson that Yorky mate.  I agree there could be more quality in his game but IMO he played a tactically-challenging role where is asked to do that dual role of supporting the full back defensively and when he gets forward as well as providing an outlet in the middle.  Both Henderson and Allen played that role very well. 

I see where you're coming from in terms of quality.  Earlier in the game I was kind of frustrated because I thought Henderson/Allen were not showing enough quality with their passes.  A few were underhit or behind the receiver or sometimes the first touch was heavy.  It was frustrating because United were there for the taking.  Fortunately we had too much for them anyway.  I'd say at the moment they are playing 1 quality pass in 3.  Someone like Gerrard has quality in nearly every single pass (the right weight, angle for receiver etc).  But it's unfair to expect them to hit those heights.  So maybe we should be looking for 2 out of 3.  With the space created through our movement we will open teams up more so if the outer points of the diamond are delivering more quality.  It's a small detail but one that I think will bring another significant development to our game.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 03:41:58 pm »
Two weeks... that's how long we've had to wait for this match to kick off and it felt like being a kid again counting down the days to your birthday. And just like those cherished memories of long coveted presents we as a fan base feel like we're getting ours. 3-0, it's taken a while for that to sink in. Not because it was beyond my wildest dreams ( I had a dream earlier in the week where we were 2-0 up after 6min :P) but because it seems like this season is one huge fantasy.

We were like a Mercedes yesterday, slick, powerful and at times bloody sexy. We never needed to move out of 3rd gear, we were compact, worked hard as epitomized by Allen, Hendo and Gerrard. It was not our best performance of the season by a distance but what it was, was smart and that's a tremendous quality. Every player won their individual battles and collectively as a team they worked wonderfully in partnerships.

My moment of the match was Steven Gerrard taking out Fellaini and Sterling to win the ball. Fellaini never went near him again except for that little cheap shot later. He was the Man out there yesterday, I'd run out of superlatives to describe him. I can do no greater justice to his performance than to say it was Souness like. Hendo and Allen worked themselves to the bones and while I agree with Yorky that Hendo in the first half was a bit wasteful (as was Sterling in parts) but I think that also had to do with United leaving very little space and their cynical fouls.

Suarez was Suarez, and he terrifies all defenders and you could see the effect he had on Vidic and Jones. Daniel was not at his best but still have them a hard afternoon pulling them all over the pitch searching for the space. I do wish he'd look up just a bit more, a few times he ran into blind alleys when a simple pass was on. That will hopefully come though.

The defense was superb, take a bow Gents. That's what a settled defense brings and for the first time in months we have that. Agger bringing the ball up the pitch is  beautiful sight and I hope a Agger screamer in the top corner is not too far away.

A word about Rodgers... Masterful.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 03:45:22 pm »
I was too frustrated with Henderson`s performance in the first half to an extent but to describe it as `awful` for me is way too harsh.

He is a CM , throughout his LFC career he was never effective for us as a right winger offensively and he was moved there many times in that period.
It`s unfair to criticize him too much when he`s played out of his position.

Offline Desi Kopite

• Anny Roader
  • Twitter: @pritsinghlfc
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 03:54:00 pm »
Will be watching a re-run of the game tonight, but for me Hendo and Allen seemed to do well.  I know he's got areas to improve but there seems to be no one around with as much running and stamina as him and he's a workhorse who is very much needed in our side.  Roll on to the next one.  As for Utd, got no time for them...they can do one!

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 03:54:19 pm »
Interesting to see the comments on Henderson. The Manc I watched it with was raving about him, saying he's exactly what their side is missing and that he was immense - granted that was mainly about his workrate, but I think our side would miss a LOT without him in it (I also think that without Hendo alongside him Gerrard can be a bit of a passenger sometimes).

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 04:27:36 pm »
Here's the Echo's thoughts via our own Kristian. Well, he's not ours, but we're claiming him...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/reds-analysis-how-liverpool-fc-6842430
Yep.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 04:29:26 pm »
"I'd love to see what would happen if we had a player with those qualities and genuine expertise and vision on the ball as well." When he has played in the more advanced tip of the triangle role, we have seen some great passing vision from Hendo. The problem is, is that he seems to have two modes of playing, when stuck out wide he is often in harrying mode, tends not to look up too much, put him in the centre and he looks up more and can actually spot and play some defence splitting passes, as we saw when he was given that responsibility when Gerrard was injured. It is a fair point though, Lucas does not have the legs, and we need Henderson's energy, even when he is not effective on the ball, he allows others around him to be because of his legs. I can't see him being dropped for any of the nine games left, he has made himself undroppable and a lot of that is down to just sheer athleticism, guts, effort and desire. Him and Joe put in one hell of a shift yesterday.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 04:41:19 pm »
Souness in his post game analysis gave Henderson motm.  He did have a better 2nd half than 1st but I think to criticise him for the first half was harsh.  To be fair his first half was probably average or just above (which was good enough anyway, given the level of UTD's midfield), but the second was excellent.

Offline Adamski LFC

• Kopite
  • Polymath, ... I think not
    • Dash Equestrian
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 04:54:06 pm »
The way MU's wide player drifted in to defend meant Johnson had his very best game for a while, overlapping and defending well.  To a man they stood up and dominted them, it is natural to make errors, but the lack of too many and the overall awareness of those around them marginalised their effect.

I cannot pick out our worst performer from that wonderful game, topped off with that beautiful banner about the unreachable knowledge that Moyes/Gollum has on football.  We were reminded once again of our ability with a stronger, more settled back four, with injured players returning, and with it being still reliant on others, boy do we have a chance.
Hoping not to embarrass oneself should not be the ultimate aim when posting

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 04:56:51 pm »
Looked to me like Henderson "did a job" yesterday. He didn't particularly excel and he was a bit sloppy at times but by constantly getting in the right positions he helped created space for others and in doing so played a big part in the gameplan. Tactically he was spot on even if sometimes his execution wasn't brilliant.

I think you could actually say the same for Suarez, Sterling and Sturridge. Neither of them had anything like their best games of the season but they carried out their job very well and dragged United all over the place. A few times we had very good chances when they fluffed their lines but the way they kept popping up in the right places meant it was just a matter of time before someone took advantage- in the end it was Suarez who found his feet and it was a fantastic finish. If they were on song we'd have had far more than the one goal from open play, it would have been an absolute demolition, I couldn't believe the space they were allowed.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:59:31 pm by alonsoisared »

royhendo

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 05:06:03 pm »
All I'm going to say is this. The end of the game came. The players smiled, but calmly left the field as if it were a run of the mill achievement. There was no over-celebration, not a hint of it. Rodgers, with sombre demeanour, shook Moyes' hand and made for the tunnel.

Now. You read Chris Hoy's autobiography and he talks of how, when he achieves a goal, often he's so grooved into his process, the routine he's following, that he doesn't feel elation. It doesn't sink in until later. I think it's different in football, given it's a team game, and the events that unfold are inextricably, palpably emotive. The celebration at the second penalty, that kind of thing. The players will now what it means, and what that performance signified. But even so, the team's behaviour at the end spoke volumes for me.

It was the first time in a very long time I've been able to watch Liverpool in a big game and feel genuinely calm. I said to my mate Grant at each penalty, "Right. Glass down, feet on the ground.". Just in case, you know? I didn't want to spill anything. But my only reaction on each goal was to give my mate, my oldest mate, a little reassuring pat on the knee.

For the belief, and the routineness of it all, to have spread that far. Well, we're on to something I think.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 05:10:57 pm »
I went to the Boxing on Saturday with the lads from work and with the exception of my dad and lad, those we went with were United, City and Everton supporters

We’d watched City earlier in the day and then saw Everton snatch a late 3 points. Pressure was on wasn't it

Inevitably, we spoke about Liverpool, United and the game on Sunday and it seemed everyone was confident Liverpool would do the job 

Everyone, except me 

We were the form team, two exceptional forwards playing in front of a well-oiled machine, a team where everyone understands their roles and fights for one another like they would a family member

And they’re, well, just shit

It’s United though, you see. Them down the road, it’s what they do isn’t it? They put that doubt in your mind, dreading the game or crushing any hope you had built up because, y’know, they’ve just done it so many times over the years. If I had a cat, I’d have kicked it more than a few times after playing that lot, seeing them get the decisions at ‘The theatre of dreams’ and having to dread the usual nobheads I know who support them and have only ever had it good

Sunday morning though, I don’t know what it was, maybe the ale from the night before but I woke up with this feeling that we were going to snot them, the sort of embarrassment that Everton, Arsenal and Spurs have felt in equal parts this season

It’s just not the same team is it? It’s not Fergusons side, it’s not a side that gets 97 minutes to get that late winner, it’s not a side that has referees afraid to give 3 penalties against them at home. This is an outfit that should arguably be stronger with the addition of Juan Mata that looked like they hadn’t played football together before, square pegs in round holes with no conviction at all. Teams now going there full of confidence that they can be got at, that they can be beat and invariably coming away with something too

This was the same side that Ferguson lead to the Title last year, a side that had won the title by 11 points. After 29 games, they were top with 74 points and we were languishing 7th with 45 points.   They’d scored 68 goals compared to 46 this season with the same strike force. They conceded 31 compared to 34 too. Think about that for a moment. There has been a 38 point swing. 38 points

One year later, we’re challenging for the title with very similar credentials. After 29 games, we’re on 62 points, not as many points admittedly but enough to be in touch with the top of the league with them to play at home, having scored 76 and conceded 35. That is a colossal performance by anyone’s standards and it’s been largely with some very young players too, Henderson, Coutinho, Flanagan and Sterling. How good can this side become?

The Liverpool name carries so much weight around the world but there were times during the summer that I felt we would never get back to Europe’s elite table. City and Chelsea can compete financially with any other team in the world, I’ve learned to accept that but there was a changing of the guard at United and Everton, Spurs had just lost Bale and Arsenal were being refused by every player they went after until they broke the bank for Ozil. They say football is cyclical so I guess we’re due a turn. I felt we had a chance and it’s almost symbolic of our resurgence that we stood resolute over Suarez. Standing our ground and proving that we’re still a footballing powerhouse has almost made everyone believe again. Anfield is a fortress, 5 points dropped there all season, competing and putting our main rivals to the sword and a general cohesion and togetherness between these players that I’ve not seen in years. There is literally no dead wood, no Downing, Joe Cole or any other player you might have guessed would be a name in those envelopes, only players who are ready to die for the shirt

Maybe United feel the same way about Rooney and his new contract. If he had left what is considered to be a sinking ship, it would have been terrible for them as a club but there are two main differences. Rooney isn’t Suarez and United don’t have a Brendan Rodgers

Yesterday just felt like it had this huge significance associated with the game. It’s our turn now. It was proving what we have known all season, to a man, we’re better than them and to go to their backyard and prove it so convincingly made it all the sweeter

I’m a glass half full person most of the time but I’m a bit of a shithouse when it comes to watching the game, I couldn’t enjoy the game until the final whistle went and then all I wanted to do was watch it all back.  I have never watched a penalty in my life. It’s a superstition (that clearly only works sometimes), I’ve never seen my lad take a penalty either, mostly because I think if I do, he will miss but he does occasionally miss, just like Gerrard whether I watch or not so why do I still do it?! 3 peno’s meant I was up and down like a tarts knickers yesterday conveniently going to the kitchen for a top up waiting for the cheer from the living room meaning the sword was being twisted a little further.  That 3rd penalty going in was hard to take. The first player to have scored a hat-trick of penalties in the Premier League, a hat-trick at the Stretford End and another goal towards making me £810 richer. My lad had said we’d win 4-0 all week so I couldn’t resist a flutter at 80-1. In the end, 3-0 was alright, I’ll settle for bragging rights instead and them looking up at a 14 point gap

Our gaffer said nobody has ever gone from 7th to 1st and until yesterday, I'd gone with that same outlook but listen to our captain yesterday, he believes we can do it, the players believe we can do it and clearly so does our gaffer so who am I to argue with them

Maybe it will take more than all of the planets aligning for us to win the league this time around but, fuck me, I haven’t half enjoyed the ride

Thank you Brendan Rodgers

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 05:19:37 pm »
That was probably the best performance we've put in at Old Trafford since we steamrollered them on Boxing Day '78. Two really difficult away ties in a row have now yielded six goals for us and none against. That is Title-Winning form, but also Title-Winning mentality. How our lads must be looking forward to their next training session. Football can't come soon enough for them. Can the same be said of our rivals?

Flanagan set the tone with 4 or 5 hard tackles in the opposition half within 5 minutes of the start. One of them set up Suarez for a jinking run into the box and (what ought to have been) our first penalty. The galumping Fellaini took two bites of his calf and somehow escaped punishment.

Fellaini seemed detailed to track Sterling in the early stages. He soon gave up though, Sterling proving too quick for him (obviously), too tricky for him (obviously), too wise for him (obviously) and too strong for him (astonishingly). I know Spurs have pissed away the equivalent of the GDP of several African countries this year on transfer dreck, but has there been a single worse acquisition in the last 12 months than Fellaini? Not in this country. David Moyes must have spent the best part of ten years at Goodison dreaming of all the great players he would buy if he ever found a chairman stupid enough to throw him a decent wallet. His chance finally came and....he bought an Everton player! You could sort of understand it if he'd taken Pienaar or Barkley to Old Trafford. But Fellaini? A man who uses his elbows to play football more than his feet.

Gerrard was magnificent. He played an absolute blinder - creative, calm, ferocious and seemingly raising and lowering the heat of the tie at will. Diego Maradona was watching from the stands apparently. He must have felt a sharp twinge of affinity every time our captain got the ball. Jones tried to hack him down by the corner flag early on. It probably hurt Steve. But did he let it show? Did he bugger. He got straight up, took the free kick and got on with it. That's the kind of nonchalant reaction that can kill opponents. It's not nice facing indestructibility.

Raphael should have got a straight red for the hand ball, let alone a second yellow. He was completely undone by Suarez's brilliant first touch and our lad was denied a clear shot on goal. It beggared belief that Raphael stayed. I don't think even he could understand why. What a pen though. 

After that we were tremendous. Earlier in the season teams were routinely getting back at us after we took the lead. But not now. The defence, marshalled superbly by Danny Agger, compressed the space beautifully every time Mata or Rooney got the ball in a central position. Van Persie kept getting caught offside and after the hour mark decided it was time to give up.  How Moyes didn't hook him I don't know. 

Do you remember when Jones (I forget his first name) was talked of as 'the next Gerrard'? It was all on the basis of a solitary driving run from midfield he'd done against Burnley or someone. He looked like a non-league defender yesterday. Joe Allen took the ball expertly on his chest and it was a decently angled run, but he was moving away from goal nonetheless. Jones however clattered him. An absolute gift for the Reds. Game over in the 46th minute.

The best bit of the match, for me, was around the 70th minute mark. United upped the tempo a bit and we seemed to be losing our way for the first time in the match when the ball was cleared to Suarez on the half way line. A gorgeous turn left two of theirs in a heap; a speared pass with the outside of the boot found Sturridge foraging on the right touchline. For the next two minutes Suarez and Sturridge simply ran riot. They were like two fairground bullies spinning the quivering United defence around in a couple of Waltzers. It a warning shot of course. "If you attack us again, we'll do this to you". United didn't attack again.

Lucas came on after the third and racked up 50 passes in just under two minutes. What a boost to have him back (along with Johnson and Agger) for the run in.

Ok, one negative. Henderson was awful in the first half. He lost the ball virtually every time he got it. Check it out again if you don't believe me. He also declined several opportunities to turn on the thing, which is a systemic problem in his game....still. We didn't suffer because of it and he redeemed himself with a strong-running second half performance. But I simply can't believe we can't do better in that position. We're not the finished article yet. There are areas we can still improve on. His position is one I think. I'd hate to lose his commitment and energy. I'd love to see what would happen if we had a player with those qualities and genuine expertise and vision on the ball as well.   

So on too Cardiff.  Can we keep our focus? I think so. We have the right coach who says the right things. And there's such personality in the squad. Our bench is also beginning to like a proper one. Come on Reds.
Great writeup!

With respect to Henderson, I have often found myself lamenting that his technique in the final third can be a bit disappointing at times, even though he has developed dramatically in his time at Liverpool. (I can't remember that happening yesterday though, to be honest.) Players with his pressing/stamina/physique and superior technical ability at the same time are extremely rare though. Of those who don't already play for some European giant, I can only think of Ivan Rakitic, who is two years older and will probably go for ~£30m if/when he leaves Sevilla.

On another note, i thought that the game was unfortunately scrappy at times, as you would expect from this fixture, so that you didn't always get to see us at our free-flowing best. Although it was against 10 men, I thought that this improved when Coutinho came on, and it reminded me of his significance to the team. Same thing happened when Lucas came on, as you mention in your writeup. It shows you how important these players are to the way our team plays under Rodgers.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 05:26:32 pm »
Very surprised to read the criticism of Henderson and Allen on here.

The game was won and lost in midfield, and, whilst Gerrard was absolutely imperious, my view was that the work ethic, high pressing, mobility and energy of those two was the difference. Fellaini and Carrick are just too immobile as a pair, and only one of them can control a ball. It was a complete and utter mismatch in centre mid, especially in terms of energy which made us dominate every aspect of the game and left their front 4 largely redundant. Rooney had a bit of a go to be fair, as did Janujaz, with very meagre service. Mata is utterly, utterly wasted wide to the extent you cannot understand why they've paid that much for him with no idea of how to use him, and Van Persie is in dressing gown and slippers until the world cup.

If we had played to our potential up top it could have been very, very embarrassing. Tottenham embarrassing, maybe more. As it was, 3-0 flattered United. Thankfully, though, we left it at that. We don't want to get Moyes sacked, now, do we?
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 05:31:36 pm »
But I simply can't believe we can't do better in that position. We're not the finished article yet. There are areas we can still improve on. His position is one I think. I'd hate to lose his commitment and energy. I'd love to see what would happen if we had a player with those qualities and genuine expertise and vision on the ball as well.     
Perfect midfield player, that, though, isn't it? Lothar Matteus? Steven Gerrard? They're really not 10 a penny. At least he has one of those things in every game - the mobility and superhuman stamina - and, at his best is technically decent. Our opposite numbers in midfield had neither (Fellaini) and technically decent only (Carrick). That's the main reason they're shit.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 05:41:13 pm »
Interesting to read others' views on the game. I've now watched the game three times, and in truth it's a game that could best be described as "scrappy". The quality of the passing by both teams was frankly, poor and there were numerous badly timed or just plain poor, tackles.

I too was getting frustrated at our profligacy when in promising positions, and Henderson had a particularly wasteful first half in this regard. However, he is still capable of some genuinely surprising moments of creativity, and on numerous occasions this season he has played a delicious ball into the "channel" between fullback and centre back. He did it again yesterday. But as Yorkie noted, his inability to turn with the ball (and his reluctance to receive the ball on the half turn) is something that needs to be addressed.

Altogether I was most pleased that this was a win that owed more to our terrific shape and discipline when Utd. had the ball, than our vaunted attack. If "misfired" is too strong a description, they were certainly not at their fluent best. Partly that was down to a greasy top - particularly in the first half, but some of SSS's decision making left a lot to be desired too.

Perversely, that's what I loved most about yesterday. We looked very solid without the ball and dictated the game's pace and the areas where the game was decided. It was superb game-management that resulted in a feeling of inevitability and even a little tinge of regret that the scoreline didn't heap more humiliation on hapless Utd. B.R and Steven Gerrard mentioned this in their interviews. No bragging, no sense of misplaced arrogance; just a calm assertion that this team is in a very good place just now.

A word about Clattenberg. He made mistakes. Some were perplexing and some betrayed a surprising leniency. However, he is, warts and all, a cut above some other Premiership regulars, Mason, Dean and Webb in particular. Foy and him are the best of an admittedly mediocre bunch.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 05:42:59 pm »

With respect to Henderson, I have often found myself lamenting that his technique in the final third can be a bit disappointing at times, even though he has developed dramatically in his time at Liverpool. (I can't remember that happening yesterday though, to be honest.) Players with his pressing/stamina/physique and superior technical ability at the same time are extremely rare though. Of those who don't already play for some European giant, I can only think of Ivan Rakitic, who is two years older and will probably go for ~£30m if/when he leaves Sevilla.

Perfect midfield player, that, though, isn't it? Lothar Matteus? Steven Gerrard? They're really not 10 a penny. At least he has one of those things in every game - the mobility and superhuman stamina - and, at his best is technically decent. Our opposite numbers in midfield had neither (Fellaini) and technically decent only (Carrick). That's the main reason they're shit.

Those are fair points and in defence I did balance my criticism of Henderson's technique with praise for his endeavour. I was also talking about ways of improving an excellent side. I recognise, as you lads do, that this may be difficult. But it's not impossible. For me Henderson is still the one that can be 'improved'. There are players out there who offer what he does in terms of energy and tracking back but who also offer considerably more going forward. Real 'head-up' players, as Hendo emphatically isn't. You look at a young lad like Barkley at Everton (or even the hugely promising Deleofeu) and think, 'christ, if we had a player like that in centre-mid......). I do anyway.  :D
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 05:48:53 pm »
Those are fair points and in defence I did balance my criticism of Henderson's technique with praise for his endeavour. I was also talking about ways of improving an excellent side. I recognise, as you lads do, that this may be difficult. But it's not impossible. For me Henderson is still the one that can be 'improved'. There are players out there who offer what he does in terms of energy and tracking back but who also offer considerably more going forward. Real 'head-up' players, as Hendo emphatically isn't. You look at a young lad like Barkley at Everton (or even the hugely promising Deleofeu) and think, 'christ, if we had a player like that in centre-mid......). I do anyway.  :D

We just need to buy a young player with those attributes and develop them in-house over 2-3 years mate. That is the only way I can see to improve on Hendo without spending oil baron type money. The excellent young Will Hughes at Derby springs to my mind almost immediately, especially with his highly publicized affinity for us.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 05:52:28 pm »
It was a strange game for me, sitting there all tense like for 47 minutes. I know we came to play a quick attacking game, and they came to try and bully us.

But right from the off, Steven Gerrard showed the gurning Jones how to go into a tackle really hard. People talk about Gerrard being a selfish captain, but that really set the tone for the game in my opinion. Fellaini was played to try to out muscle Gerrard or any of the covering CM's. But they couldnt get the ball, they couldnt string a few passes together.

I was really impressed by the running power of Allen though, he worked his absolute socks off. Got up and down that pitch really well (but unspectacularly). Hendo did the same but seemed a bit more dangerous at the top end.

It was strange beating them there, they looked so beaten by the end of it, you almost felt sorry for them. When they took off Mata and put on Ferdinand you had to laugh. They were so scared that they didnt want to concede any more.

What did Evra say to Gerrard? A prick like that was abusing Ste G and he stuck it in like a pro. Nerves of steel.

The way I am, I like to see us score goals from open play more than Pens, but I'd always welcome them at old trafford, God knows theyve had loads against us, and smashed us a few times over the last 22 years. You couldnt blame sturridge for not scoring his first chance, it was narrow and on his right foot. A difficult chance.

Suarez was slipping about everywhere in his new boots, I dont think he actually had a very big game, and yet he provided an assist and scored the only goal from open play, leading the scoring charts in the premier league on 25 goals. Thats how good he is.

Special mentions for Agger and Flanagan. I thought flanagan was brilliant, I often mistook him for Gerrard a few times, he got central, and passed the ball well. I dont think he lost the ball much either. Neither did Agger, who was so assured on the ball, must be a godsend for Mignolet to have him back, able to control the ball with either foot and pass the ball well with each boot too. He didnt look troubled the whole game until Mignolet punched him in the eye! haha.

Its a good time to be a red. Even if we dont win the league, who's going to forget the amount of goals we got this season against good opposition? Who's going to forget Gerrard smashing Felliani and almost getting a hattrick of pens?

Gerrard for me was different class. He's a year younger than me, and he's been one of my idols.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 05:59:12 pm »
Yeah, Henderson is never going to have the best first touch or the greatest close control and it will always put him in the occasional sticky situation. He probably frustrates me more than any other player watching a game as I am a technique snob (watching too much Barca) but he is still a pretty vital cog in the this team. One thing he will be able to improve though is his general awareness of what's going on around him. Like someone pointed out before he often turns down the oppurtunity to turn in space when it is by far the best option. Sometimes I think maybe that and his knowledge of his own limitations are linked. Maybe he doesn't want to turn in certain spots because he isn't 100% confident of his touch. Unlike, for example, Sterling whose first touch is impeccable and he knows it is and therefore is confident of turning virtually anywhere on the pitch despite being pressed quite hard.

Again, I think what Henderson brings to the able though are pretty unique for us. No-one else in the squad is as powerful a runner as he is and his pressing and runs off the ball help us so much.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 06:11:04 pm »
We'll probably look back and use this one as a marker, along with Spurs away and Arsenal at home. It's been building up to this kind of performance for a while though. Skrtel got yellow carded after making a run into the opposition box from open play. At Old Trafford. Just laughed.

We didn't blow them away, we've played far better than that this season for me, rather we stifled them and applied steady pressure backed by hard work until they cracked. We're everything the Mancs weren't. We had hints of it back earlier in the season, when they were fitter and fresher and could run about a bit more but seemed half a second slower in spotting where the ball was going. Yesterday, they struggled with the running too as we passed it round them. Rooney and Van Persie lumbering around in midfield, their nominal midfield chasing Sterling's shadow, their team fractured into subcomponents and left isolated and we should have scored more. Jon Flanagan dropped his shoulder and did Mata on the wing. At Old Trafford. Just laughed.

It felt like a changing of the guard, and the 15 minute dirge from the Stretford End just served to underline that for me. Rodgers post-match had a little smile, threw a couple of nice little digs in a polite and professional manner (yes, we'll be favorites when Chelsea and City roll up to Anfield, we're always favorites at Anfield, it's Anfield, it's ours) and it's on to the next match. If the press want to write up our chances, that's for the press, teams will drop points, we may drop points, doesn't matter, on to the next one. We knew it was Cardiff away, Rodgers told us before this match that it was going to be just as tough as Old Trafford, and so we move on. 3 points. 9 to go. 4 point behind, a game in hand. Not favorites, but we've a shout. This is good.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 06:12:54 pm by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 06:44:31 pm »
All I'm going to say is this. The end of the game came. The players smiled, but calmly left the field as if it were a run of the mill achievement. There was no over-celebration, not a hint of it. Rodgers, with sombre demeanour, shook Moyes' hand and made for the tunnel.

Now. You read Chris Hoy's autobiography and he talks of how, when he achieves a goal, often he's so grooved into his process, the routine he's following, that he doesn't feel elation. It doesn't sink in until later. I think it's different in football, given it's a team game, and the events that unfold are inextricably, palpably emotive. The celebration at the second penalty, that kind of thing. The players will now what it means, and what that performance signified. But even so, the team's behaviour at the end spoke volumes for me.

It was the first time in a very long time I've been able to watch Liverpool in a big game and feel genuinely calm. I said to my mate Grant at each penalty, "Right. Glass down, feet on the ground.". Just in case, you know? I didn't want to spill anything. But my only reaction on each goal was to give my mate, my oldest mate, a little reassuring pat on the knee.

For the belief, and the routineness of it all, to have spread that far. Well, we're on to something I think.

I definitely noticed that too, Roy. There was no excessive joy or celebration after the final whistle. High fives and pats on the back between players, clapping the support, and calmly going to dressing room. A feeling of battle won but a long way yet to go for the war to be won.

I don't know if you watched the Tottenham-Arse game but the reaction of the Arsenal players after the win was so significantly different. Shirts off, dancing, players taking selfies, all the stuff you'd associate (or wouldn't want to associate) with winning a trophy or semi-final rather than one individual game albeit a very important, local derby.

Despite Arsenal's recent form, you could argue that between the two games, it had greater significant for Liverpool because, even though we've never really been outside the top-four, a win at Old Trafford would really cement and lay down the marker of our seriousness in mounting a title challenge. Something we haven't done since 2009 and something, you could say, that a large part of our squad has never really experienced before. Now Arsenal definitely have a had a sticky run of late and their squad has been ravaged by injury but they've been at the top of the table for a fair while this year and have generally been up in the top-tier conversation for the past few years (at least compared to Liverpool) in the league.

But it was Arsenal, with nine games still to go, who were over-exuberant whereas we seemed to show a greater understanding and perspective of the overall situation. And the funny thing is, for those knowledgeable of Steve Peters methods will know, it's based on affecting the variables only you can control, performance and the next game. Marry this with the "small block" system of season management that Rodgers applies, perspective lends itself easily to the whole process. Basically, these players won't get over-excited after a dominating performance such as the one yesterday and won't be too down when a dip in performance undoubtedly comes along at some point in the remaining games. However, the one thing that will be guaranteed, the players will focus on the task at hand and will not be put out by the atmosphere and/or the evolving dynamics of the title race. Which is absolutely staggering considering the average age of our squad and the number of players who have never experienced a title charge in our squad.

Lastly, a slightly unrelated point, has anyone noticed how twatty our team has become this season, especially exemplified in 2014? I don't mean twatty in a "dirty, we'll kick you out of the game" way but the confidence (and arrogance?) that comes out of self-belief, belief in your teammates, and belief in the work that Rodgers is implementing. You can't really seem to get into our heads anymore. In fact, if anything, we'll be getting into yours, with hard tackles, constant pressure that reminds of a colony of bees attacking an intruder, and attacking play (and goals, goals, goals!) that will just tire and defeat you into submission. We've got some annoying fuckers now throughout the team who won't take the prospect of a draw, let alone a defeat, very well. They will drive themselves and the team around them to rally as has been evidenced by our few come-backs (the few times we've actually found ourselves behind) this season.

All I know is that if I wasn't a Liverpool supporter, I would absolutely and totally hate playing against us. Not because of the undoubted quality that we now posses but because we are now a cynical and aggressive lot with a dollop of self-belief to boot.

And that makes us a very, very dangerous proposition.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 06:47:25 pm by Angelius »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 07:14:31 pm »
I think Rodgers was again spot on tactically (and Man Utd were obviously awful, which was partly down to us anyway) but one of the most pleasing things was how the match unfolded like a routine away victory. Numerous times I've seen us go to Old Trafford and not perform well and usually our good performances or results are as a result of us stopping Man Utd and limiting our attacks. But yesterday we were in total control and that was more mental, than anything else. And Rodgers deserves a lot of credit for that as well. I'm hoping I haven't spoke too soon with regards to that but there does seem to be marked difference to recent seasons.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 07:39:11 pm »
Havent seen a United team so dominated in every facet of the game since Rafa turned them over, How many saves did Mignolet have to make, i can only remember one decent one.
We controlled the game we were a team they were a disjointed group of individuals, also are the referees off the leash now? Three Penalties unheard of in Ferguson's time all merited in fact the one not given was a stone waller.
Allen and Henderson with Gerrard and then Lucas ran the show.

However good as we were going forward lets hear it for the defence 2 clean sheets in the last two away games against top ten teams bodes well for the future.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 07:40:24 pm »
Watching yesterday had eerie echos of October 1990 when the current champions an ageing Liverpool side travelled to Old Trafford for a 3rd round League Cup tie. The mainstay of the defence Hansen wasn't there and the side was beginning to creak with the likes of McMahon, Houghton, Beardsley and Rush edging closer to the end of their careers. In much the same way that Liverpool have got results at Anfield by being more up for the game and treating it like a cup final recently United had got results through passion and desire.

That night was different Uniteds side had an average age of a couple of years less than ours and they had a young manager who had them playing with no fear. They didn't out battle us or play with more passion they just completely bossed the game with arrogance. Liverpools cloak of invincibility had been fatally punctured and the balance of power had shifted.

That was what was remarkable yesterday the arrogance we showed. We didn't show United an ounce of respect. We went out on the pitch knowing we had a better manager, better players, better tactics, more belief and more togetherness. It was Uniteds cup final a chance to derail our title challenge but they were powerless to do anything about the way we wanted to play. Our full backs pushed on and we had Johnson, Flanno, Allen, Henderson and the lightning quick Sterling harrying them into turning the ball over time and time again. Then when we got the ball the imperious Gerrard dropped in made it a back three and we just passed into the spaces in between the lines. Add in the front two giving our attack width and depth and it was an object lesson in modern football.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 07:45:25 pm »
Best bit for me was while their whole lot was going off on that "20 times" spell that lasted the last 15 minutes of the match, we weren't letting them have a sniff of the ball. Yeah, they were down to 10, but for a United team to not even have a shot on target in the last 15 minutes, down 3-0, in a game of this magnitude, and with the quality of players they had on the pitch... it was stunning really.

And the olé's started up, and Suarez, Sturridge, and Coutinho were taking the whole United team for a dance, not just their back four. They had everyone behind the ball, but still we penetrated, we worked the ball with precision passing and fancy flicks, we could have had 2 or 3 more during that spell had the ball bounced our way a bit more (although it certainly took a bit of luck for it to land to Suarez for the 3rd).

And at the final whistle was calm. As the last of their fan's chanting died down from the whole stadium emptying out, not a word of support for their team or manager, mind, We Are Liverpool started to echoe around Old Trafford, and our belief grew stronger. There was no yelling, jumping, or celebrating on the pitch, only a cursory handshake from Rodgers and the Footy Genius, a few wry smiles from Stevie, and 3 more points to the reds.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 07:46:52 pm »
He misplaced a couple of passes but I thought he was excellent. The way he created the first Sturridge chance was pass and move at its best: retrieved the loose ball, passed out wide, turned around, got it back and played a nice through ball down the side. Also had a lovely touch in the build up to the first goal if you see it again. Played a nice pass for the 2nd goal as well.
Its strange, if you want to accuse him of anything in this match, it was for being extremely positive with his use of the ball, instead of playing the safe square ball. Marked difference from his earlier games. Also his pressing was excellent for the most part other than the time he let Rooney walk by.
Matter of opinion but i thought him and Allen were our best players today. Really forced the issue with their pressing and in Henderson's case the forward thinking passes.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 07:56:39 pm »
United tried to counter our ability to break up play and hit them at pace by defending quite deeply and leaving very little space in behind.

Only one did they get caught and that lead to the sending off (for old times sake me Vidic).

Because of this, their full backs couldn't really push on, their wingers were being forced to tuck in and it left plenty of room for our  full backs to push on.  Glenn Johnson didn't do much more than stand on the right wing for large chunks of the match.

Moyes didn't have the courage of his convictions, he wanted to stick Fellini up front and didn't dare.

It's been a wonderful day, I've been insufferable and people have literally been running away from me as I've approached them.

#prayformoyes
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2014, 08:08:27 pm »
My abiding memory of the game will be the image of Moyes trying to get a message out to Wayne Rooney in the first ten minutes or so of the game.

It struck me as bizarre, because the most blatantly obvious tactical curiosity of the way Liverpool had set-up was the positioning of Raheem Sterling. As far as I am aware he has NEVER played the central forward point of the diamond.  Right from the start of the game his speed and aggressiveness to hound Carrick and Fellaini was causing them problems, giving them no space and causing them to give the ball up in the pass or with him actually taking the ball from them.

I would have thought Moyes would have seen that unusual set-up, then saw what Sterling was doing and then realised he had a problem that he needed to sought out. He didn't he was more concerned with how Rooney was setting himself up. An issue that in the end doesn't matter if you never get the ball to him.

David Moyes is a football genius.

Offline Livo.85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2014, 08:22:55 pm »
I know Moyes is totally ill-equipped for the job but...
How does one go about setting up a team to stop Liverpool from scoring?
Defend deep? Err no. We will just run at you and convert from the spot.
Press high? Err no. See Arsenal, Everton, Tottenham, Southampton etc.
That is a wonderful football riddle from Rodgers for any football manager, let alone Moyes.