Author Topic: Atheism  (Read 182714 times)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Re: Atheism
« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2017, 03:21:08 pm »
Well one could argue that the recent history of Christianity - at least in democratic countries - has been to cherry-pick like mad.

True, but they won't acknowledge that's what they're doing. Cherry picking is, to my mind, picking the bits you like and ignoring the bits you don't, as a matter of simple preference. Religious people convince themselves that there is some overarching method to their selection, one based on sound principles. As you point out, the only real principle they need is, "well, that's clearly bollocks", but that leads to all sorts of uncomfortable questions about the soundness of relying on what remains.

In that respect, the thing that modern religious people really worship is cognitive dissonance.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #201 on: August 24, 2017, 03:31:43 pm »
True, but they won't acknowledge that's what they're doing. Cherry picking is, to my mind, picking the bits you like and ignoring the bits you don't, as a matter of simple preference. Religious people convince themselves that there is some overarching method to their selection, one based on sound principles. As you point out, the only real principle they need is, "well, that's clearly bollocks", but that leads to all sorts of uncomfortable questions about the soundness of relying on what remains.

In that respect, the thing that modern religious people really worship is cognitive dissonance.

Yes, I agree with that. And you won't be surprised to hear me say that my suggestion was a bit cheeky really because I want those "uncomfortable questions" to be asked. And they are being asked of course, which is good for everyone.

At the same time it was quite a significant landmark in the history of western Christianity when the (now deceased) Bishop of Durham admitted that the Resurrection was not real. (Did he use the word "bollocks"? Probably not).  It was a "metaphor" for general renewal I think he said. The point being that he could only make this admission because the cherry-picking was already a century old (in England at least).
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #202 on: August 24, 2017, 03:47:19 pm »
Christians usually tend to place their focus on the NT, but the NT doesn't make any sense without the OT, original sin being an example.

If you ask most Christians if they follow the 10 commandments they will usually say yes, that is from the OT. There is the usually cherry picking that goes on with any religion in an attempt to discard the particularly awful bits.

The problem with that interpretation, on a theological basis, is that the birth of Christ and Christianity was to herald a new Covenant between believers and God. Many of Christ's teachings involved examining the old Covenant (i.e. the Ten Commandments and subsequent teaching) and revising it for adherents to the new Covenant. For example, off the top of my head I remember that there's a passage in which Jesus refutes the "Eye for an Eye" teaching in order to say it is better to turn the other cheek. So while things like "Thou Shalt Not Murder" remained a constant there were other aspects of the old teachings that Christ encouraged needed to be revised. Does that make Jesus himself a 'cherry picker'? Possibly, but to say Christianity cherry picks teachings is a bit disingenuous. The Bible in its entirety is not the basis of Christianity, the New Testament is. The problem of course is that many demagogic preachers over the years have misused the Old Testament as well. That said, I am not a Theologian so I'm sure plenty of posters in this thread will be able to pull this post to bits.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 04:24:13 pm by Purple Red »

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #203 on: August 24, 2017, 04:03:59 pm »
Cherry pick like mad but then still openly chose to keep the anti Gay and anti birth control mantra - so that means that (at the top) they chose these policies rather than believing this is the word of god.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #204 on: August 24, 2017, 04:10:29 pm »
The problem with that interpretation, on a theological basis, is that the birth of Christ and Christianity was to herald a new Covenant between believers and God. Many of Christ's teachings involved examining the old Covenant (i.e. the Ten Commandments and subsequent teaching) and revising it for adherents to the new Covenant. For example, off the top of my head I remember that there's a passage in which Jesus refutes the "Eye for an Eye" teaching in order to say it is better to turn the other cheek. So while things like "Thou Shalt Murder" remained a constant there were other aspects of the old teachings that Christ encouraged needed to be revised. Does that make Jesus himself a 'cherry picker'? Possibly, but to say Christianity cherry picks teachings is a bit disingenuous. The Bible in its entirety is not the basis of Christianity, the New Testament is. The problem of course is that many demagogic preachers over the years have misused the Old Testament as well. That said, I am not a Theologian so I'm sure plenty of posters in this thread will be able to pull this post to bits.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them". Matthew 5:17

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: August 24, 2017, 04:23:23 pm »
So while things like "Thou Shalt Murder" remained a constant there were other aspects of the old teachings that Christ encouraged needed to be revised.

I think you missed a "not" out there, unless it was that time where he was talking to himself.
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: August 24, 2017, 04:24:31 pm »
I think you missed a "not" out there, unless it was that time where he was talking to himself.
Good point - edited!

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: August 24, 2017, 04:31:29 pm »
Possibly, but to say Christianity cherry picks teachings is a bit disingenuous. The Bible in its entirety is not the basis of Christianity, the New Testament is.

Corkboy has quoted one verse from the New Testament that shows Jesus affirming the Old Testament. There are others too. I think you're being disingenuous if you're really suggesting that Jesus "revised" the Old Testament away. Sure, Jesus is fluffy in some moments. At other moments he comes over as a raving zealot.

There's also plenty of hellfire and blood and thunder in the New Testament to keep the warriors happy for generations. And, as others have pointed out, the New Testament is not kind to gay sex, to put it mildly. Unbelievers have a truly rotten time of it too.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: August 24, 2017, 04:37:12 pm »
Even the ten commandments are mostly nonsense or redundant. 1-4 are daft and redundant. 5-8 are pre-existant or maybe self-evident. The lowest common-denominator of morality and decency. And ten punishes thought-crime.

If you really need faith to keep 5-8, you need therapy.

As Christopher hitchens said, there's nothing there about not taking slaves, or hurting a child. His take made decent reading.

I: Do not condemn people on the basis of their ethnicity or color.
II: Do not ever use people as private property.
III: Despise those who use violence or the threat of it in sexual relations.
IV: Hide your face and weep if you dare to harm a child.
V: Do not condemn people for their inborn nature.
VI: Be aware that you too are an animal and dependent on the web of nature, and think and act accordingly.
VII: Do not imagine that you can escape judgment if you rob people with a false prospectus rather than with a knife.
VIII: Turn off that fucking cell phone.
IX: Denounce all jihadists and crusaders for what they are: psychopathic criminals with ugly delusions.
X: Be willing to renounce any god or any religion if any holy commandments should contradict any of the above.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #209 on: August 24, 2017, 04:43:07 pm »
Corkboy has quoted one verse from the New Testament that shows Jesus affirming the Old Testament. There are others too. I think you're being disingenuous if you're really suggesting that Jesus "revised" the Old Testament away. Sure, Jesus is fluffy in some moments. At other moments he comes over as a raving zealot.

"Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me". Matthew 10:37

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #210 on: August 24, 2017, 04:46:40 pm »
Even the ten commandments are mostly nonsense or redundant. 1-4 are daft and redundant. 5-8 are pre-existant or maybe self-evident. The lowest common-denominator of morality and decency. And ten punishes thought-crime.

As Christopher hitchens said, there's nothing there about not taking slaves, or hurting a child. His take made decent reading.

There's an obvious reason for that of course..

When they were written it was perfectly acceptable to keep slaves and bugger kids...

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: August 24, 2017, 05:08:58 pm »
There's an obvious reason for that of course..

When they were written it was perfectly acceptable to keep slaves and bugger kids...

And the reason it's not acceptable now, outside of fundamentalists, isn't down to Jesus or any religious institution

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: August 24, 2017, 05:10:40 pm »
And the reason it's not acceptable now, outside of fundamentalists, isn't down to Jesus or any religious institution
Yep.

The bloke who write the Ten Commandments just used morality of the time..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #213 on: August 24, 2017, 05:20:38 pm »

There's far more than 10 commandments. Limiting it to 10 is cherry picking ad well.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: August 24, 2017, 05:22:26 pm »
There's far more than 10 commandments. Limiting it to 10 is cherry picking ad well.
But there are glaring absences ...
W

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: August 24, 2017, 11:20:20 pm »

But only those ten were transcribed by the hand of God. Supposedly. The all loving God who cared more about you worshiping him and keeping the sabbath holy than abusing kids.

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #216 on: August 25, 2017, 12:38:15 am »
Let's put our cards on the table and ask the important questions towards theists.

What do you believe and why???

Should be pretty straightforward..........(apparently)

PS, lots of random bullshit to come

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #217 on: August 25, 2017, 12:46:59 am »
I think I could be persuaded towards religion, it must be nice to have faith. My biggest issue is why is yours right and every one else's wrong.

We laugh at scientology but is it any more unbelievable than Christianity + 1000 years

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #218 on: August 25, 2017, 12:53:15 am »
I believe the poster below could benefit from your tolerant example:Clearly. Though I think the inability to see one's own faults and to "practice what you preach" on the part of the religious might also play a part.

Oh I say!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: August 25, 2017, 01:41:37 am »
Let's put our cards on the table and ask the important questions towards theists.

Probably take too long to go into what I believe, but the why question is indeed easy - I met God, without any shadow of a doubt.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: August 25, 2017, 04:02:51 am »

I've always found that calling somebody's deeply held beliefs "random bullshit" is a surefire way of encouraging them to be open about them...
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #221 on: August 25, 2017, 08:35:16 am »

Why do you believe it should be pretty straightforward?

To turn it around, let's look at a simple, straightforward topic like Football. In one sentence, combining everything you've done and seen in Football and every experience you've had related to football, tell us what you believe about football and why.

Once you've written that one straightforward sentence about football, would you say that this statement completely sums up what you think. Do you think it covers the depth, emotion, the things you've learned? The people you've spoken to? The experiences that you've had and shared? Does it cover the history of the game and your understanding and knowledge and ideas and hopes and dreams and empathy for the subject?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 08:38:48 am by Andy @ Allerton »

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: August 25, 2017, 08:37:13 am »
Probably take too long to go into what I believe, but the why question is indeed easy - I met God, without any shadow of a doubt.
What did he look like
W

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #223 on: August 25, 2017, 10:26:10 am »
What did he look like

Did you just assume God's gender?

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: August 25, 2017, 10:43:06 am »

The question of what you believe and why is actually a very good question, and it should be the starting point of any discussion on this subject.

What you shouldn't do is then pass a flippant judgement on answers you have not received yet.

The question can be answered in a basic way to begin with, it doesn't require a single line or paragraph to answer it in it's entirety, it is a means of starting a discussion.

Here are perhaps some more specific questions, which god do you believe exists ?, what are some of it's attributes ?, did it create the universe ?, does it interfere in human affairs ?

And then of course comes the why do you believe this.
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #225 on: August 25, 2017, 11:00:47 am »

I wonder if we could find anyone who was never exposed to any sort of religious notions until they were half way grown up, and what they thought of the notions then. That's an answer to the why question, by the way. People who believe in a god do so because they were told there was a god at a very early age.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: August 25, 2017, 11:16:50 am »
Did you just assume God's gender?
I did indeed, I can't imagine a woman who was so murderously vengeful.

But also because all the abrahamic faiths portray him as a man and pictures always have him with a beard.  And women don't have beards...  Although saying that, I once taught a girl with a beard.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:19:41 am by Tepid T₂O »
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #227 on: August 25, 2017, 11:29:37 am »
I wonder if we could find anyone who was never exposed to any sort of religious notions until they were half way grown up, and what they thought of the notions then. That's an answer to the why question, by the way. People who believe in a god do so because they were told there was a god at a very early age.

Sounds like quite an assumption about quite a few things.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #228 on: August 25, 2017, 11:30:04 am »
I did indeed, I can't imagine a woman who was so murderously vengeful.

But also because all the abrahamic faiths portray him as a man and pictures always have him with a beard.  And women don't have beards...  Although saying that, I once taught a girl with a beard.

You've obviously never met my missus after Everton have been hammered by Liverpool.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: August 25, 2017, 11:30:34 am »
You've obviously never met my missus after Everton have been hammered by Liverpool.
:lmao
W

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: August 25, 2017, 12:37:15 pm »

I believe in God yes. It has been a comfort in difficult moments of my life. I am no expert on the Bible and recognise that there are contradictions that are impossible to explain all the same. Faith is a personal thing though and can't really be rationalised for those who don't have it.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: August 25, 2017, 12:37:59 pm »
I believe in God yes. It has been a comfort in difficult moments of my life. I am no expert on the Bible and recognise that there are contradictions that are impossible to explain all the same. Faith is a personal thing though and can't really be rationalised for those who don't have it.

That's a very dignified response.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #232 on: August 25, 2017, 12:41:36 pm »

That's an answer to what you believe but not why.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: August 25, 2017, 12:46:46 pm »
That's an answer to what you believe but not why.
As I said it's a comfort. You were of course right with your earlier point that it is partly a result of upbringing. I am not an unthinking believer though. I re-evaluated what I've always believed a few years ago. I re-read the Bible and made my way through the Qu'ran as well out of curiosity. Despite the aforementioned difficult things to understand and rationalise in the text, I concluded that my personal faith benefited me more in its presence than its absence. That said, I'm in no position to say whether theists or atheists are on the correct side of the argument. For me there is no correct side, in the realms of spirituality everybody is entitled to believe what they want.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #234 on: August 25, 2017, 12:52:20 pm »
I concluded that my personal faith benefited me more in its presence than its absence.

You sound like you choose to believe.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: August 25, 2017, 12:54:29 pm »
You sound like you choose to believe.
I do.

Offline Antoine Lavoisier

• Anny Roader
  • the torchlight red on sweaty faces
« Reply #236 on: August 25, 2017, 12:56:47 pm »
As I said it's a comfort. You were of course right with your earlier point that it is partly a result of upbringing. I am not an unthinking believer though. I re-evaluated what I've always believed a few years ago. I re-read the Bible and made my way through the Qu'ran as well out of curiosity. Despite the aforementioned difficult things to understand and rationalise in the text, I concluded that my personal faith benefited me more in its presence than its absence. That said, I'm in no position to say whether theists or atheists are on the correct side of the argument. For me there is no correct side, in the realms of spirituality everybody is entitled to believe what they want.

The other day in a different topic, I mentioned Faith Schools. Do you think they are a good thing?
And in short, I was afraid

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: August 25, 2017, 12:58:18 pm »
The other day in a different topic, I mentioned Faith Schools. Do you think they are a good thing?
What's your definition of a Faith School? I feel it may be different in different parts of the UK. (I'm from NI).

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #238 on: August 25, 2017, 01:03:40 pm »
I do.

That puzzles me. I can't figure how one would choose to believe in something. I get why but not how.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #239 on: August 25, 2017, 01:06:18 pm »

good post mate...nice to have a balanced and honest pov in a thread full of point-scoring intransigence ...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.