Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12290909 times)

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #101840 on: August 15, 2020, 10:52:39 pm »
Looks like Koumetio is the only newish academy player at the training camp

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD7EdogHJla/?hl=fr
he is suppose to be a very good talent

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101841 on: August 15, 2020, 10:59:18 pm »
he is suppose to be a very good talent
From what i saw last season he looked good on the ball and showed some really good technique at times. Obviously has the size you need to make in as a centre back in England as well. Can't really say much for his actual defending though as not something i tend to ever focus on when watching the academy games

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101842 on: August 15, 2020, 11:19:19 pm »
Looks like Koumetio is the only newish academy player at the training camp

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD7EdogHJla/?hl=fr

I’ve not seen the guy play but I hear he’s talented. He certainly looks physically developed enough for a chance at centre back in the first team, maybe they’re seeing if he’s an option for 4th/5th choice if we don’t manage to get a good deal on an experienced Lovren replacement?
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101843 on: August 16, 2020, 06:30:13 am »
any other youth talent joining the seniors other than koumetio and hardy?

we did see some progression for the youth in the squad this year. Curtis scoring a few, neco now secure his role as back up to trent.

Hoping to see hoever, van der berg, and Koumetio feature this season.

A bit of a shame we dont have any forward players in the mould of Salah/mane that could cause the opposition defense some problems with their pace. Glatzel and Brewster are more forwards in the no 9 mould.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101844 on: August 16, 2020, 12:29:27 pm »
Now having watched the training vid on the official website I don’t think Hardy is there. 

On Koumetio, I watched the all the U18s matches, or highlights only, that were shown on the website on lfc tv.  I didn’t think Koumetio was that outstanding, apart from in stature.  I actually thought the club rated Rhys Williams quite highly although he needed to fill out a bit more.   Koumetio was only a first year U18 and didn’t play any U23s that I can remember, but that may have been because of the injury.  So I would be extremely surprised if he is thought of as anywhere near ready for the firsts, as in 4th or 5th choice.  I would think it’s a bit more about testing him, seeing where he is at.  I also wonder if, joining from abroad, he’s hoping for a faster pathway, perhaps like Larouci, or Camacho (I know we didn’t import him but he was Portuguese nevertheless).  I really  don’t get why Larouci didnt want to sign an extension and go out on loan if he wanted first team games.   

Offline Dudek savessssss.........!

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop Forum
« Reply #101845 on: August 16, 2020, 12:49:48 pm »
Now having watched the training vid on the official website I don’t think Hardy is there. 

Didn't spot Harry Wilson, Caoimhim Kelleher, Sheyi Ojo or Ben Wooodbur either (and Joel Matip)
There was a two-minute interlude where Liverpool’s three-man attack squared up against United’s three-man defence and basically stalked them back into their own penalty area, like battle-hardened mountain wolves closing in on a flock of geriatric sheep.  Barney Ronay at Anfield @barneyronay Sun 19 Jan 2020 20.36 GMT

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101846 on: August 16, 2020, 12:54:18 pm »
Didn't spot Harry Wilson, Caoimhim Kelleher, Sheyi Ojo or Ben Wooodbur either (and Joel Matip)

Or TAA.

I think some will be there but might have a injury but not risked or doing weights or something.

Hendo was their and hes got an injury.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #101847 on: August 16, 2020, 12:55:08 pm »

Trent wasn't on the pictures either.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Dudek savessssss.........!

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop Forum
« Reply #101848 on: August 16, 2020, 12:59:47 pm »
Apologies, Kelleher is there.
There was a two-minute interlude where Liverpool’s three-man attack squared up against United’s three-man defence and basically stalked them back into their own penalty area, like battle-hardened mountain wolves closing in on a flock of geriatric sheep.  Barney Ronay at Anfield @barneyronay Sun 19 Jan 2020 20.36 GMT

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #101849 on: August 16, 2020, 01:00:51 pm »
Will be interesting to see if Hoever does go out on loan. Game time at a good level would be nice, but I'd keep him around for sure. Of all the promising youngsters we have lying in waiting he's the one that excites me the most. I usually like to keep reserved about young players given not many live up to ridiculously high hopes placed on them, but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't end up playing for a top club if not Liverpool. He looks excellent, definitely see elements of Van Dijk and Gomes in his game.

Have to admit I expected him to get a couple of league games in after it was all sewn up. Him not playing in the cup derby surprised me at the time too. Good to see we have him and Williams there, though. Just hope he's patient enough because I can see him being a valuable member of this squad even at a young age.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101850 on: August 16, 2020, 01:02:41 pm »

Joel Matip is in the video but must be training separately, like Hendo.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101851 on: August 16, 2020, 01:03:53 pm »
Koumetio was on the bench for the League Cup game against Arsenal so he's been in and around the first-team set up already, albeit briefly.

A couple of the reliable journalists have said he's one that the club has very high hopes for so this camp in Austria should be a great experience for him.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101852 on: August 16, 2020, 01:21:24 pm »
Will be interesting to see if Hoever does go out on loan. Game time at a good level would be nice, but I'd keep him around for sure. Of all the promising youngsters we have lying in waiting he's the one that excites me the most. I usually like to keep reserved about young players given not many live up to ridiculously high hopes placed on them, but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't end up playing for a top club if not Liverpool. He looks excellent, definitely see elements of Van Dijk and Gomes in his game.

Have to admit I expected him to get a couple of league games in after it was all sewn up. Him not playing in the cup derby surprised me at the time too. Good to see we have him and Williams there, though. Just hope he's patient enough because I can see him being a valuable member of this squad even at a young age.
Do you see him as a rb or cb? I believe he plays rb for the national team and he said himself he is a rb who can play cb but only cb when he is older. Problem is rb is pretty full at the moment and we have Arroyo on loan also.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 01:27:34 pm by dakid »

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101853 on: August 16, 2020, 01:23:59 pm »
Wilson isn't there I have seen reported. Ono isn't good enough and it looks like their mind has been made up in Woodburn also if that's the case. Jones and Elliott have take his spot in the squad I suppose. 

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #101854 on: August 16, 2020, 01:28:41 pm »
Think Woodburn was in talks with a German side about a loan, so I’d imagine that’s being finalised.
AHA!

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101855 on: August 16, 2020, 01:29:51 pm »
Wilson isn't there I have seen reported. Ono isn't good enough and it looks like their mind has been made up in Woodburn also if that's the case. Jones and Elliott have take his spot in the squad I suppose. 

I thought he was a fine player for Japan in the early 2000's.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #101856 on: August 16, 2020, 01:30:16 pm »

Seems like Woodburn is going to be loaned

Wilson and Ojo surplus to requirements and will be sold
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101857 on: August 16, 2020, 01:30:36 pm »

It has already been suggested that Ben will be going out on loan again this season, there are a number of interested teams in Europe in for him.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #101858 on: August 16, 2020, 01:32:38 pm »
I miss the old title of this thread. Reminds me of a simpler time.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101859 on: August 16, 2020, 01:39:22 pm »

Reported by who? Where is TAA?

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101860 on: August 16, 2020, 01:43:24 pm »
Seen it on twitter. Also rumours he is joining Leeds. Didn't see anything about TAA.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 01:45:34 pm by dakid »

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101861 on: August 16, 2020, 01:44:28 pm »
Adam Lewis off to Amiens, in Ligue 2, on loan - so says James Pearce.

Season long loan. Confirmed on Monday.
With an option to buy it has been reported.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101862 on: August 16, 2020, 01:53:13 pm »

On Koumetio, I watched the all the U18s matches, or highlights only, that were shown on the website on lfc tv.  I didn’t think Koumetio was that outstanding, apart from in stature.  I actually thought the club rated Rhys Williams quite highly although he needed to fill out a bit more.   Koumetio was only a first year U18 and didn’t play any U23s that I can remember, but that may have been because of the injury.  So I would be extremely surprised if he is thought of as anywhere near ready for the firsts, as in 4th or 5th choice.  I would think it’s a bit more about testing him, seeing where he is at.  I also wonder if, joining from abroad, he’s hoping for a faster pathway, perhaps like Larouci, or Camacho (I know we didn’t import him but he was Portuguese nevertheless).  I really  don’t get why Larouci didnt want to sign an extension and go out on loan if he wanted first team games.
Loans aren't great, if it takes you some time to adpat the club you're with you aren't going to always give you that time like they would for a player they owned.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 02:00:23 pm by Chris~ »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101863 on: August 16, 2020, 01:53:39 pm »

He is probably out there with the team, maybe he felt something and so they decided not to risk him on the first day.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101864 on: August 16, 2020, 01:53:58 pm »
Seen it on twitter. Also rumours he is joining Leeds. Didn't see anything about TAA.

Point is some players might be joining up later in the week or in the gym because slightly injured.

Twitter is full of rumours.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101865 on: August 16, 2020, 03:26:13 pm »
Billy Koumetio signs first professional contract with Liverpool FC https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/405190-billy-koumetio-signs-first-professional-contract-with-liverpool-fc
Fun fact: "The Academy defender happened to be allocated the role of ballboy on the night of Liverpool's iconic Champions League comeback over Barcelona last May."

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/392344-meet-the-academy-billy-koumetio
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101866 on: August 16, 2020, 04:29:44 pm »
Point is some players might be joining up later in the week or in the gym because slightly injured.

Twitter is full of rumours.
https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/08/liverpool-fc-begin-pre-season-with-loris-karius-among-new-faces-in-the-squad/

Squad posted there and TAA named. Grujic and Nat Phillips also.

Yes Twitter is full of rumours and given the fact that respected journalists have said we will try to sell him this summer I believe the rumours might be true.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101867 on: August 16, 2020, 04:36:35 pm »
It's really not a stretch to believe that Wilson isn't there because a move elsewhere is in the offing.

Likewise players like Woodburn and Ojo - their short and/or long-term futures aren't at Liverpool so there's no point in them travelling to Austria.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101868 on: August 16, 2020, 06:07:42 pm »
No one has mentioned Grabara.  Wonder what’s next for him.  I thought he might come back and cover like Kelleher did last season while the latter went out on loan.  I still expect  Kelleher to go out on loan.  Maybe Grabara is trialling out with a view to another potential loan.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101869 on: August 16, 2020, 06:16:20 pm »
No one has mentioned Grabara.  Wonder what’s next for him.  I thought he might come back and cover like Kelleher did last season while the latter went out on loan.  I still expect  Kelleher to go out on loan.  Maybe Grabara is trialling out with a view to another potential loan.

Think he is injured. He wasn't in the Huddersfield squad at the end of the season. He had an head injury. Sounded bad when it happened.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101870 on: August 16, 2020, 07:52:54 pm »
Think he is injured. He wasn't in the Huddersfield squad at the end of the season. He had an head injury. Sounded bad when it happened.
Huddersfield never extended his loan beyond June the 30th despite them having the option. They had a lot of loan players and you are only allowed 5 in a match day squad.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101871 on: August 16, 2020, 09:05:26 pm »
Huddersfield never extended his loan beyond June the 30th despite them having the option. They had a lot of loan players and you are only allowed 5 in a match day squad.

No, they didn't.. Not sure what's happen. He wasn't in the squad since he got injured. Maybe he is still injured but Karius is there which is a shock.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101872 on: August 17, 2020, 01:03:41 am »
Shout out to our youth team of about 2012.

Watching the Europa League/Champs League asterisk competitions, and seeing Gulacsi, Coady, Sterling and Suso all featuring heavily (and, in one case, amusingly).

Now that was a great youth side.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101873 on: August 17, 2020, 01:43:42 am »
Shout out to our youth team of about 2012.

Watching the Europa League/Champs League asterisk competitions, and seeing Gulacsi, Coady, Sterling and Suso all featuring heavily (and, in one case, amusingly).

Now that was a great youth side.

The same group produced Jack Robinson, thats 5 of the side all playing for top 8 sides, not bad in the end.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101874 on: August 17, 2020, 10:56:43 am »
https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/08/liverpool-fc-begin-pre-season-with-loris-karius-among-new-faces-in-the-squad/

Squad posted there and TAA named. Grujic and Nat Phillips also.

Yes Twitter is full of rumours and given the fact that respected journalists have said we will try to sell him this summer I believe the rumours might be true.

Well TAA isn't there as hes injured. Wilson isnt there as he's injured.

So your source is wrong.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #101875 on: August 17, 2020, 10:59:39 am »
I suspect Wilson is probably preparing to leave, he hasn’t got a future at the club.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101876 on: August 17, 2020, 11:02:55 am »
I suspect Wilson is probably preparing to leave, he hasn’t got a future at the club.

Maybe, mate but hes injured and thats a blow for him. We still need homegrown players so I wouldn't fully rule him out leaving.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101877 on: August 17, 2020, 11:09:00 am »
Maybe, mate but hes injured and thats a blow for him. We still need homegrown players so I wouldn't fully rule him out leaving.

Taking Wilson out of the equation, we really don't need homegrown players Fordy. They're always nice to have, but we're completely fine for next season from a homegrown perspective.

Offline Hash91

• Anny Roader
« Reply #101878 on: August 17, 2020, 12:04:00 pm »
Taking Wilson out of the equation, we really don't need homegrown players Fordy. They're always nice to have, but we're completely fine for next season from a homegrown perspective.

I guess it's more about managing the "non-homegrown players" which can be only 17 if I'm not wrong. If more than 17, then it becomes important to substitute one of the non-homegrown with a homegrown - which can either be done by buying a homegrown player or registering a talented young homegrown player from the academy / youth team. As you said, we are fine on the homegrown side where we have more than 8 players available to register. But the issue may arise by having more than 17 non-homegrown players (which will be helped with the rumoured sales of maybe Shaqiri, Grujic etc)

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101879 on: August 17, 2020, 12:38:06 pm »
I guess it's more about managing the "non-homegrown players" which can be only 17 if I'm not wrong. If more than 17, then it becomes important to substitute one of the non-homegrown with a homegrown - which can either be done by buying a homegrown player or registering a talented young homegrown player from the academy / youth team. As you said, we are fine on the homegrown side where we have more than 8 players available to register. But the issue may arise by having more than 17 non-homegrown players (which will be helped with the rumoured sales of maybe Shaqiri, Grujic etc)

Yeah, that's basically it. Maximum squad of 25 players over the age of 21, and up to 17 of those can be non-homegrown. There's no lower limit on the number of homegrown players you can have - we could have zero, if we wanted, but that would obviously put huge pressure on the squad.

We've got 17 non-homegrown players in the squad at the moment, but that includes Karius, Shaqiri and Grujic - and you'd expect all three will leave. So there is some flexibility.

We also have a steady stream of future homegrown players coming through the academy. Trent becomes homegrown from this season, Brewster from next, Jones the following season - then the likes of Williams, Hoever etc.