Author Topic: Adam Lallana  (Read 586793 times)

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Re: Adam Lall
« Reply #3760 on: July 18, 2019, 01:22:21 pm »
If you're playing Lallana as a '6' you're playing without a 6 because he can't do any of the things you'd need him too defensively so its in name only and therefore pretty irrelevant - it must means playing in midfield

It's going to be very hard for him to get first team games in any position this season in the major competitions

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3761 on: July 18, 2019, 01:44:37 pm »
If you're playing Lallana as a '6' you're playing without a 6 because he can't do any of the things you'd need him too defensively so its in name only and therefore pretty irrelevant - it must means playing in midfield

It's going to be very hard for him to get first team games in any position this season in the major competitions

It could just be a different midfield balance. Playing with deep lying playmaker rather than someone like Fabhinho. Could work in games where we are chasing a winner or where we expect to have 70+% possession. We have seen Pirlo and Gerrard do it at old age. Also City experimented with Bernado Silva in that role in some games and he did well.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3762 on: July 18, 2019, 01:48:29 pm »
Lallana is also a compeltely different player to gerrard and pirlo.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3763 on: July 18, 2019, 01:50:33 pm »
Lallana is also a compeltely different player to gerrard and pirlo.

He lacks that long range passing but his ability to turn under pressure, dribble and link the midfield and attack will do him well, if he is used in that role.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3764 on: July 18, 2019, 01:58:55 pm »
Adam Lall a new signing. Hopefully we sign Adam Lallana too as we've been signing him every summer for last 3 years.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3765 on: July 18, 2019, 04:20:56 pm »
Really looking forward to his new role in this season.
Believer

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3766 on: July 18, 2019, 04:26:37 pm »
Really looking forward to his new role in this season.

On the bench.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3767 on: July 18, 2019, 04:55:01 pm »

Yeah there's no chance he gets any starts as the six in any game this season, unless semi-throwing a league/fa cup game.

Might get the odd ten minutes in a dead game, played like a glorified friendly.

Think how badly an extremely good and versatile midfield player (Milner) managed in that role against Wolves in the cup

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #3768 on: July 18, 2019, 05:19:21 pm »
Lallaninho

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #3769 on: July 18, 2019, 06:02:46 pm »
I can see him being a different kind of no.6 than fabinho. He is tidy on the ball and does not get dispossessed easily, plus he's clever when he's pressed. I think it really might work against deep lying teams where the no.6 ends up with acres of space so that the other midfielders can push up to create even more numbers to break them. I think Hendo will not be playing that no.6 role after his performances at the fag end of last season unless absolutely necessary and those minutes get shared between Fabi and Lallana which I am perfectly good with.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #3770 on: July 18, 2019, 06:04:42 pm »
I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding as to what a #6 is actually supposed to do.

I think Lallana has all of the tools needed (except maybe long-pass accuracy, but that one isn't set in stone as a job requirement for that role).
Better looking than Samie.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3771 on: July 18, 2019, 06:11:23 pm »
I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding as to what a #6 is actually supposed to do.

I think Lallana has all of the tools needed (except maybe long-pass accuracy, but that one isn't set in stone as a job requirement for that role).

Does he have a)  the lateral mobility required  in our set up b) the defensive ability on the ground c) the aerial ability defensively .... because in our set up the 6 as currently played needs all these 3.
He can retain possession well we know that and you could play him there in specific game conditions - vs a low block team with no counter attack threat ... beyond that idk what he brings to the position?

(And we’re assuming he’s match fit in this analysis which he hasn’t been for 2 years so it’s all a bit hypothetical)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3772 on: July 18, 2019, 07:12:48 pm »
Does he have a)  the lateral mobility required  in our set up

The ability to move left and right? I'm pretty sure all players have that ;D

b) the defensive ability on the ground

Aren't his pressing numbers quite high? And didn't he have good tackling numbers for an attacker, since his Southampton days?

c) the aerial ability defensively .... because in our set up the 6 as currently played needs all these 3.

The height thing is a Klopp preference. Our set up doesn't demand it. If you prevent the long ball forward anyway, then there's no real need for aerial ability. But even at that, you're really referring to "height", rather than "aerial ability" though. Lallana probably falls down on that, but it's not a requirement for a #6 - it's just a handy thing to have (height, I'm talking about). Makelele was the perfect #6, and he was a short arse ;D

He can retain possession well we know that and you could play him there in specific game conditions - vs a low block team with no counter attack threat ... beyond that idk what he brings to the position?

(And we’re assuming he’s match fit in this analysis which he hasn’t been for 2 years so it’s all a bit hypothetical)

He would bring the ability to carry the ball into the attack, the ability to switch play under pressure, the ability to receive from the defenders, and the ability to replace the fullbacks when the other team counters. Plus, a two-footed #6 opens up the field in a way that a one-footed one doesn't.

He certainly wouldn't be the BEST option at #6, but to say he doesn't really have the tools for it would be an underestimation, I think. As you say, it could be that he'd be more suited to games where we don't have to defend too much. But then again, those are the games where we probably do need some sort of creativity in that position, in order to maximise the attack and get us the goals we need to break the deadlocks that probably scuppered our league challenge last season.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3773 on: July 18, 2019, 07:15:49 pm »
There are plenty of games at Anfield where sides will sit back and look to defend the entire game, in which he could play in this position if need be.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3774 on: July 18, 2019, 09:36:10 pm »
The ability to move left and right? I'm pretty sure all players have that ;D

Aren't his pressing numbers quite high? And didn't he have good tackling numbers for an attacker, since his Southampton days?

The height thing is a Klopp preference. Our set up doesn't demand it. If you prevent the long ball forward anyway, then there's no real need for aerial ability. But even at that, you're really referring to "height", rather than "aerial ability" though. Lallana probably falls down on that, but it's not a requirement for a #6 - it's just a handy thing to have (height, I'm talking about). Makelele was the perfect #6, and he was a short arse ;D

He would bring the ability to carry the ball into the attack, the ability to switch play under pressure, the ability to receive from the defenders, and the ability to replace the fullbacks when the other team counters. Plus, a two-footed #6 opens up the field in a way

Sure but all of this is his on the ball ability which I’m not contesting - he can play it on the ball.
But apart from your concession on his aerial ability you’re making this argument without addressing his physical limitations - he’s slow ... for want of a more nuanced description - (lateral movement I obv mean ability to cover the width of the pitch); there’s just no way in which he can play the 6 for us against a team carrying any kind of attacking threat without there being huge gaps for them to exploit. (As someone posted see the time Milner was played there)
It would have to be against a team with zero threat - Huddersfield at home or something

Honestly I think he played one half here because we needed to get him minutes and only had one dm in the squad that day
And I do think this is an academic argument - even if you’re right and he can play the position I don’t see how he could ever be better in the role Fab, Henderson, Naby or Wijnaldam because of his defensive and physical limitations
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:44:21 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3775 on: July 18, 2019, 09:46:05 pm »
Sure but all of this is his on the ball ability which I’m not contesting - he can play it on the ball.
But apart from your concession on his aerial ability you’re making this argument without addressing his physical limitations - he’s slow ... for want of a more nuanced description - (lateral movement I obv mean ability to cover the width of the pitch); there’s just no way in which he can play the 6 for us against a team carrying any kind of attacking threat without there being huge gaps for them to exploit. (As someone posted see the time Milner was played there)
It would have to be against a team with zero threat - Huddersfield at home or something

Honestly I think he played one half here because we needed to get him minutes and only had one dm in the squad that day
And I do think this is an academic argument - even if you’re right and he can play the position I don’t see how he could ever be better in the role Fab, Henderson, Naby or Wijnaldam because of his defensive and physical limitations

What are his defensive limitations though?

And he isn't slow. And he has good aerobic fitness. I'm not sure he has the physical limitations other than lack of height?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3776 on: July 18, 2019, 09:51:12 pm »
What are his defensive limitations though?

And he isn't slow. And he has good aerobic fitness. I'm not sure he has the physical limitations other than lack of height?

Seriously ?? Think we have to end this one as we’re talking about two different players if you don’t think he’s slow... for a top level player he’s properly slow ...  given that difference we’re going to view this completely differently

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3777 on: July 18, 2019, 09:55:27 pm »

I find it genuinely baffling that Klopp clearly thinks he can play the 6 yet you are equally adamant he can’t!
JFT97

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3778 on: July 18, 2019, 10:03:59 pm »
I find it genuinely baffling that Klopp clearly thinks he can play the 6 yet you are equally adamant he can’t!

I’m not admant he can’t - I said he only can in specific game conditions (which I think is very similar to what Klopp said post match fwiw)

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3779 on: July 18, 2019, 10:05:45 pm »
I think he's slow - but then again - he hasn't been fit in a couple of years so he may have been better previously.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3780 on: July 18, 2019, 10:06:40 pm »
Seriously ?? Think we have to end this one as we’re talking about two different players if you don’t think he’s slow... for a top level player he’s properly slow ...  given that difference we’re going to view this completely differently

5 years ago, but his top speed was fast(although it has Yaya Toure down as a Liverpool player ;D):

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2014/07/08/official-top-five-fastest-liverpool-players-at-the-world-cup-acc/

Was faster than Divock, Sturridge and Sterling.

Here is one from last season, against Burnley:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1105290

"Klopp was also right to highlight the defensive qualities that Lallana added against Burnley.

Covering the ground at an average speed of 7.78km/h, the highest of any Liverpool player, Lallana was aggressive in retrieving possession.

He won all three of his tackles and broke up play effectively, closing down opponents well."

As I said - he's not slow. That doesn't mean he's the fastest. But "slow" would indicate that he has LESS than average speed. Which he doesn't.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3781 on: July 18, 2019, 10:16:52 pm »
5 years ago, but his top speed was fast(although it has Yaya Toure down as a Liverpool player ;D):

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2014/07/08/official-top-five-fastest-liverpool-players-at-the-world-cup-acc/

Was faster than Divock, Sturridge and Sterling.

Here is one from last season, against Burnley:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1105290

"Klopp was also right to highlight the defensive qualities that Lallana added against Burnley.

Covering the ground at an average speed of 7.78km/h, the highest of any Liverpool player, Lallana was aggressive in retrieving possession.

He won all three of his tackles and broke up play effectively, closing down opponents well."

As I said - he's not slow. That doesn't mean he's the fastest. But "slow" would indicate that he has LESS than average speed. Which he doesn't.

Mate I honestly nearly stopped reading after ‘5 years ago’... that was a lifetime ago where Lallanas physicality is concerned. The burnely stat is average speed not his top speed right (and he was subbed)  - he definitely ran around a lot in that game!
Burnely is a case in point in the pre match thread I was defending him playing where others were livid about it because it was exactly the kind of opponent / type of fixture he can still do well in

I’m happy to concede we feel differently about it - I jsut dont think we’re planning on using him there (why would we when we have so many better options) and if we are playing him there it’ll be in very specific situations.... but we’ll see.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 10:19:28 pm by JackWard33 »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3782 on: July 19, 2019, 02:16:34 am »
Mate I honestly nearly stopped reading after ‘5 years ago’... that was a lifetime ago where Lallanas physicality is concerned. The burnely stat is average speed not his top speed right (and he was subbed)  - he definitely ran around a lot in that game!
Burnely is a case in point in the pre match thread I was defending him playing where others were livid about it because it was exactly the kind of opponent / type of fixture he can still do well in

I’m happy to concede we feel differently about it - I jsut dont think we’re planning on using him there (why would we when we have so many better options) and if we are playing him there it’ll be in very specific situations.... but we’ll see.

I know, but the point was that if his average speed was faster than every other Liverpool player, then his "top speed" can't be slow  (especially when Salah,  Mane and Van Dijk were on the field). My only contention with you is that he isn't "slow", and while he isn't necessarily a "sprinter", he certainly isn't mobility-restricted for the #6 position. If he stands dead centre of the field, he only has to get 35-ish yards across in a matter of seconds, and I'm sure he could run 35 yards in 4.5 seconds or less. It's certainly not something I would be worrying about.

I agree with you, though, that we're not likely to see him there too often (I'm not sure we'll see him anywhere too often, except the bench, to be honest). But it's football, and these are trained professionals. If Lallana can get his mentality attuned to the demands of the position, there's no reason he can't do a good job there if he's ever called upon to do one.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3783 on: July 19, 2019, 10:32:53 am »

I agree with you, though, that we're not likely to see him there too often (I'm not sure we'll see him anywhere too often, except the bench, to be honest). But it's football, and these are trained professionals. If Lallana can get his mentality attuned to the demands of the position, there's no reason he can't do a good job there if he's ever called upon to do one.

Fair enough. For the record I'm absolutely not against more attacking players on the pitch and playing deeper against teams that show zero ambition against us.
Playing 2 centre backs and Fabinho and one of Henderson and Wijnaldam is way too conservative against these kind of teams

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3784 on: July 19, 2019, 11:42:03 am »
I’m baffled that anyone could think Lallana is slow, especially when you include his anticipation - which you have to do since we are talking about football here.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3785 on: July 19, 2019, 04:23:07 pm »
what kind of DM are we really expecting lall to be?

seems like most of our DMs have been the intelligent and anticipatory kind.

I remember Hamann, Xabi, Lucas and now even fabinho not being the fastest but reads the game rather well enough to do a decent job in the middle of the pitch.

and where is he actually going to be in the pecking order for the no 6 role when fab, hendo, gini and even milly have played there last season.

Interesting though. Really hope he stays fit enough to play a squad role next season. where ever that is.

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3786 on: July 19, 2019, 04:38:13 pm »
He doesn't have the power of any of those you've mentioned, but he's a different type of player.  A much better version of Leon Britton, who re-imagined himself as a holding playmaker because he couldn't cut it as an attacking midfielder.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3787 on: July 19, 2019, 04:38:31 pm »
all a bit academic lads as he'll be injured or returning from injury for most of the season
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #3788 on: July 19, 2019, 11:45:19 pm »
all a bit academic lads as he'll be injured or returning from injury for most of the season

Misses tonight’s game with a dead leg.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #3789 on: July 20, 2019, 12:04:00 am »
Misses tonight’s game with a dead leg.

What a shocker.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3790 on: July 20, 2019, 01:59:49 am »
He should probably retire after taking every penny on the contract with us. His body can't hack football. He's worse than Sturridge. A failure of a signing if we're all being totally honest. Nice lad though.

You really hate him don’t you. Make him sound like a c*nt for being paid.

People forget how good and important he was early on under Klopp, and how he lead by example as the team learned to counter press.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3791 on: July 20, 2019, 02:12:00 am »
Having a dead leg doesn't  = injury.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3792 on: July 20, 2019, 03:10:24 am »
Having a dead leg doesn't  = injury.

If he got it today in training & it was a proper DL,there's no way he could've played tonight.

He will be hobbling around like Steptoe.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3793 on: July 20, 2019, 03:24:31 am »
If he got it today in training & it was a proper DL,there's no way he could've played tonight.

He will be hobbling around like Steptoe.

Might play against Sevilla still.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3794 on: July 20, 2019, 03:28:05 am »
Might play against Sevilla still.

You'd think so.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3795 on: July 20, 2019, 03:47:22 am »
You'd think so.

Just depends how severe it is, it can be a pain in the arse for days

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3796 on: July 20, 2019, 05:22:52 am »
Just depends how severe it is, it can be a pain in the arse for days
Didn't know a dead leg can be that high... ;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3797 on: July 20, 2019, 07:12:18 am »
Dead leg, lol.  Pretty apt at this point.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #3798 on: July 20, 2019, 07:15:05 am »
Didn’t he get this last season a couple of times ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #3799 on: July 20, 2019, 07:44:42 am »
You just can't rely on the guy.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy