Author Topic: Match Preview - Reds v Man City  (Read 55504 times)

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Match Preview - Reds v Man City
« on: November 6, 2019, 10:37:16 am »

Liverpool v Manchester City, Anfield - Sunday 10 November 2019 KO: 16.30

Does this match need any more spice? Pep Guardiola thinks so. Last Saturday he turned what looked like a compliment - “Liverpool never give up” - into its opposite when he appeared to accuse Sadio Mane, or perhaps the entire Liverpool team, of being divers. Jurgen Klopp’s elegant reply made a small comment appear even smaller and also usefully reminded Sunday’s referee that Guardiola’s teams historically rely on the ‘tactical foul’ to prevent rapid counter-attacks.

Manchester City have an inferiority complex though. It shows in what Guardiola said. It shows in their wretched record at Anfield where they groan under the weight of the passion rolling off the Kop and never expect to win. Until the oil sheiks turned up in Manchester they were a big city club with a small town pedigree. And that’s being unfair on small towns like Blackburn and Huddersfield whose football teams had both won more league championships than the pre oil-soaked Man City. Those swathes of sky-blue empty seats at the Etihad Stadium, where the club-made banners and the advertising hoardings merge into each other - each as phoney as the other - are a permanent testimony to how ill-suited the club is to the big time. One day the oil will go and Man City will be playing Brentford and Millwall again. But until then…..

…Until then they represent formidable opposition that we shall need to overcome if we are to lift the trophy we crave. And Guardiola, for all his inept mind games and slightly hysterical manner, is undoubtedly a great coach. He’s yet to manage a side whose players do not bathe in asses’ milk after their matches, and probably never will, and therefore there will always be a question mark over just how good he is. But no one who enjoys football can deny that he produces highly watchable football teams that play to win and usually win in style.

But, there again, so do we!  There’s a feeling that we are yet to hit top gear this season. That makes a daunting sentence when you remember that we are unbeaten in the league and have won all but one of our fixtures. Our fixtures, arguably, have been tougher so far than Man City’s too. But on Sunday both teams play their hardest game of the season.

Everyone seems to score at Anfield this season and therefore it seems likely that City will get at least one. But that’s not as final as it might once have been. In the last few games - an interesting sequence of ten 2-1 victories on the trot - the Reds have managed to put their noses in front by the end of the game. Therefore it all seems set up for another 4-3. At any rate it will be a vicious watch as well as an exhilarating one.

I think we’re stronger than we were last time they came down the East Lancs. We’re more confident for sure, and more battle-hardened too. And the fact that we are European Champions has added to the aura of our team as well as adding to another load of metal in the trophy room. The players are charged with supreme belief. You can see it every time they fall behind.

And this too. For the first time in a long time we have a bench that is truly distinguished. If things need to become fierier (or calmer) Jurgen can tweak the formation, but he can also add and subtract personnel without the quality dropping off. That’s the greatest advance we’ve made over the past 12 months.

No doubt the least imaginative RAWKites will soon be posting their desired team formations. So I won’t bother with mine, except to say I’d definitely start with Virgil Van Dijk.

My prediction is that the Reds will have a little too much, especially against a Man City defence that looks like a mistake is waiting to happen every time someone as much as breathes on it. As for Anfield. If ever a team needed that famous 12th man….

Endure and enjoy. How sweet it will be when we convert a 95th minute penalty to win. Come on You Mighty Reds.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Match Preview - Reds v Man City
« Reply #1 on: November 6, 2019, 10:42:04 am »
Rather up for this
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: November 6, 2019, 10:47:58 am »
Cheers for the OP. Bit important this one!!

Couple of decisions to make on team lineup but would say 9 from 11 are nailed on

Decisions for me are Lovren or Gomez and then is Hendo over his illness and if not who plays

I’m assuming Henderson plays so midfield will be the usual big game three

Lovren or Gomez: Id go Gomez. Reason being his pace is much better. I think Lovren better in the air etc but city hurt with pace so think that’s why Gomez gets the nod for me

Your spot on re Anfield. Needs to be bouncing

Up the reds

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• One leg, musical nostrils, itchy crotch. Is actually Louis Walsh.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 6, 2019, 10:48:46 am »
The Kop will be a wall of noise.... Big big game this one
Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 6, 2019, 10:50:31 am »
Great OP. Hopefully our lads are up for it and we can put City to the sword. While a defeat certainly isn't fatal, a win would be massive and would unquestionably have City on the brink of wondering if they could catch us. I just hope we approach and play the game with a better mindset than we did at Old Trafford.

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 6, 2019, 10:52:27 am »
Let's go boys. The countdown is on.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 6, 2019, 10:52:42 am »
I want each of our players to give his 100% for this one. And let that small club feel the legacy and tradition of this massive club, and make the bastards feel they don't belong.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #7 on: November 6, 2019, 10:55:40 am »
Anfield and players to give 110% this Sunday we will win, come on you beautiful bastards, lets smash these c*nts!

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 6, 2019, 10:59:52 am »

Who are Manchester City?  :lmao

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 6, 2019, 11:00:04 am »
If we were to get ahead in the first 20 minutes their heads will 100% go.

Need to shake off the rusty first halves we've had against United/Spurs/Villa/last night and be at it from the off. An Alisson clean sheet would be much appreciated too.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 6, 2019, 11:06:48 am »
Nice one Yorky - Come on you mighty Reds.
Who's gonna be the first to throw a team sheet up :D

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 6, 2019, 11:15:02 am »
Nice one Yorky - Come on you mighty Reds.
Who's gonna be the first to throw a team sheet up :D

Alisson
TAA
Virgil
Lovren
Robbo
Hendo
Ox
Fab
Salah
Mane
Bobby
« Last Edit: November 6, 2019, 11:17:02 am by AllyouneedisRush »
Justice 97 - YNWA

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 6, 2019, 11:17:05 am »
Alisson
TAA
Virgil
Lovren
Robbi
Hendo
Ox
Fab
Salah
Mane
Bobby

No Fabinho would be a bit mental!

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 6, 2019, 11:18:22 am »
No Fabinho would be a bit mental!

Edited .. was having a senior moment
Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 6, 2019, 11:18:55 am »
If we were to get ahead in the first 20 minutes their heads will 100% go.

Need to shake off the rusty first halves we've had against United/Spurs/Villa/last night and be at it from the off. An Alisson clean sheet would be much appreciated too.

Spurs was not a rusty first half. Spurs was a freak goal followed by 10 minutes of us sizing up our
opponents like a velociraptor stalking its pray before going for the fucking jugular.

If we get anywhere near that level of dominance against City in the first half they’ll be lucky to go in 2 goals down.

Great opening post though, really enjoyed it.

Think we’ll win, City are going to have to come out and have a go you’d think which is why that win at Villa was so massive. As long as we minimise individual, needless errors and start taking our chances I think we can get a fairly comfortable result.

The likelihood is of course that the above doesn’t happen and it turns into another heart attack inducing week.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15 on: November 6, 2019, 11:29:28 am »
The biggest matches deserve the best pre match writers. Nice one Yorky!

You’ve summed up City brilliantly. While we can say they’ll never be a big club or a true rival you have to admit that they are really the only barrier between us and domination. So while United and Everton games will always be huge, it’s not an understatement to say this is our biggest game of the season. Win it and we’re in a wonderful position. Lose it and we’re still somewhere we’d have been happy to be in August. With that in mind I hope we do go all out for the win. Last season I think due to their altered approach we gave it our best and then stepped back and thought a point would be ok (obviously could have lost it late on). I think if it’s similarly poised this time we’ll give it the kitchen sink in the last 20.

I dare not post a formation now but from what we’ve seen of late I’d start Lovren over Gomez which then just leaves a question of which midfield three. Fabinho is a certainty. One of Henderson or Wijnaldum is a certainty. Then it’s a question of do you play the other, or one of Ox or Naby. Whatever we decide we’ll have some brilliant options on the bench and as York says, options for every scenario.

I can often be nervous before big games, that feeing of trepidation. I’m not feeling that at all this time. I can’t wait for this.

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 6, 2019, 11:38:14 am »
Giving it a little more thought, I think I would have Gomez instead of Lovren alongside VVD.

Although Gomez has been a little rusty of late and Lovren has been relatively good, it scares me to death Liverpool playing a high line and the likes of sterling making sure he sticks to Lovren and not VVD for a counterattack (it'll be the only way he'll score)

I think that bit of pace is more important. Manchester City aren't scoring against us on corners.
« Last Edit: November 6, 2019, 11:40:50 am by Gray Hamster »

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 6, 2019, 11:41:16 am »
Would imagine fernandinho plays in midfield for them which means stones and otamendi at the back. Unless guardiola goes for something totally unexpected or a very attacking front 6.

For us only question really is gomez or lovren and who replaces henderson if he's not fit, would guess milner
« Last Edit: November 6, 2019, 11:43:14 am by Chris~ »

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 6, 2019, 11:41:48 am »
Last weekend was the first time I can remember that City have come back from behind to win in ages. They don't react well to adversity because they usually don't have to as they're 2-0 up in no time. Aguero's never scored here and the last two times they've come here, they've completely changed their tactics. We score first and we'll win imo.

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 6, 2019, 11:43:56 am »
Nervous anticipation already and it’s only Wednesday. Glad we’ve got a 6 point cushion. Confident we will win. Could be a high scoring win like a couple of seasons ago as I think we’ll both go for it. A win would leave City with a mountain to climb. They have a very poor record at Anfield which I’ve no doubt we’ll extend. Even a draw not worst result in the world. 4-2 Liverpool.

Offline redalways

• ...so needs a pair of clean knickers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 6, 2019, 11:45:07 am »

Who are Manchester City?  :lmao

Ask the Pope.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #21 on: November 6, 2019, 11:45:08 am »
Giving it a little more thought, I think I would have Gomez instead of Lovren alongside VVD.

Although Gomez has been a little rusty of late and Lovren has been relatively good, it scares me to death Liverpool playing a high line and the likes of sterling making sure he sticks to Lovren and not VVD for a counterattack (it'll be the only way he'll score)

I think that bit of pace is more important. Manchester City aren't scoring against us on corners.

I tend to agree but then I think that every corner is a great opportunity to score against City right now and I'd prefer Lovren to improve our set piece chances even more.

What we miss with Matip, passing/driving into midfield, neither Lovren or Gomez make up for. Best to go with the more senior pro who is better in the air.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 6, 2019, 11:50:57 am »
Would imagine fernandinho plays in midfield for them which means stones and otamendi at the back. Unless guardiola goes for something totally unexpected or a very attacking front 6.

Reckon it'll be something like:

Ederson
Walker
Stones
Otamendi
Mendy
Fernandinho
De Bruyne
Bernardo Silva
Mahrez
Sterling
Aguero

Then again he could play Gundogan instead of Silva/Mahrez and be more cautious.

Offline Gray Hamster

• Not bong eyed but quite fond of little furry things.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 6, 2019, 11:54:06 am »
I tend to agree but then I think that every corner is a great opportunity to score against City right now and I'd prefer Lovren to improve our set piece chances even more.

What we miss with Matip, passing/driving into midfield, neither Lovren or Gomez make up for. Best to go with the more senior pro who is better in the air.
Agree with the Matip comment. I'm more inclined to say that Gomez appears to be a little more reliable in the really big matches than Lovren, when it comes to mistakes. Gomez does seem to be a little calmer than Lovren, so I don't necessarily see the more senior pro thing as being important here.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 6, 2019, 11:54:52 am »
I hope he plays Stones and Otamendi with mendy in there as well

cant see it myself. think he trusts Fernandinho more so will play him CB

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #25 on: November 6, 2019, 12:10:32 pm »

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 6, 2019, 12:10:59 pm »
Just win! Massive game . I don’t care how. A 94th minute penalty after mane is hacked down will do
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #27 on: November 6, 2019, 12:14:59 pm »
I'm more inclined to say that Gomez appears to be a little more reliable in the really big matches than Lovren

What really big games has Gomez ever started at centre back for us? Genuine question.

Didn't start CB in any of the KO games in the CL in either 2017/18 or 2018/19. Started the 1st 3 games at centre back in the group stages. Didn't play CB in either of the games against City last season.

You can argue that's he's played CB against Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal away & Everton at home last season. That amounts to the 'big' games he's played at CB in his Liverpool career.

Also what mistakes, beyond the 4-1 away at Spurs, has Lovren made in big games? I'm probably missing some but can't remember many massive howlers. Remember him being MoM (or close to) in the 2018 CL final though.

Personally I don't mind whether we pick Gomez or Lovren. Happy to trust the manager. However, Gomez hasn't played many big important games at centre back for us and Lovren is not the error strewn, nervous wreck that some fans want to paint him as in my opinion.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 6, 2019, 12:17:42 pm »
Did anyone watch the match reaction on LFCTV last night? The host (can't remember his name) said Fernandinho is out of Sunday's match. McAteer asked him where he heard this from but he joked that he wouldn't reveal his source

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 6, 2019, 12:21:44 pm »
Lovely that as always sir. I'll be taxi driving for sundry children on Sunday. I hate listening to games on the car radio and getting told by my own kids to calm down.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #30 on: November 6, 2019, 12:28:08 pm »
Who’s the ref for this. Anyone but the 2 Manc loving c*nts Atkinson or Taylor and I’d be delighted with it

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 6, 2019, 12:30:33 pm »
Spurs was not a rusty first half. Spurs was a freak goal followed by 10 minutes of us sizing up our
opponents like a velociraptor stalking its pray before going for the fucking jugular.

As much as this is true we went into the break 1-0 down against Spurs, Villa and United. If we do that against City we'll have a lot harder second half ahead of us as they're absolutely set up to rip teams apart when they nick ahead.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 6, 2019, 12:31:00 pm »
Oliver is the referee best in the league.

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #33 on: November 6, 2019, 12:31:09 pm »
Great OP, thanks

I suspect if Gomez was being lined up for this game, we might have seen more of him, but who knows.  Expecting we will play Hendo and Lovren.

Key to this game might be the usual friends - mistakes and transitioning.  Who makes the most, who takes advantage the best.

City's defence has been slightly more porous than ours statistically (10 v 9) but looks a lot worse.  I would be surprised if Pep leaves it too exposed as he knows the limitations of Stones and Otamendi.  Rodri might be back, but even then …

I expect it to be fairly cagey, with both sides adjusting to scorelines.  I don't expect Manchester City to start off at full throttle, but look to pick us off with cross-field passes on the counter.

I think we'll do it of course though

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 6, 2019, 12:32:10 pm »
Would really love Mane to score and do this in front of Pep

Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #35 on: November 6, 2019, 12:32:51 pm »
We OWE these one, we really, really do.

After the luck they've had in recent games against us i.e. Kompany not getting sent off for a 2 footed tackle on Salah, the millimetres goal-line clearance, the shootout win in the community shield - it's about time we got some fortune against them.

So far as our team goes, we've conceded in 8 consecutive games and against the best attacking team in the country, you'd have to imagine they'll score at least once. They will undoubtedly target our right hand side - TAA and Lovren - who usually don't look too secure.

I'm hoping to see the crowd really fired up, the players fired up and a result similar to some of the past few seasons when we've blown them away with a quick burst of 2, 3, 4 goals.

My prediction is 2-1

FAME makes a man take things over

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 6, 2019, 12:38:04 pm »
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1284816/Live/England-Premier-League-2018-2019-Liverpool-Manchester-City

game last season was so defensive.

City had only 50% possension which actually suited them as less chance to get pressed. They completely changed there game.
Everyone knows our 11 & how we can adapt to certain types of games.

Interesting will City approach this game different to last season & try & keep possesion better like they usually do.

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 6, 2019, 12:38:35 pm »
For weeks of $hit decisions against us....i expect to see a more favorable officiating for this match.

The referee and VAR have to step up...
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #38 on: November 6, 2019, 12:40:02 pm »
It'll be interesting to see how Pep approaches this. If he goes for it, it could be another 4-3. If he does the same as last season, and sits back to nullify our fullbacks, it could be a tight affair again. But you know what? Fuck him. It's Anfield and it's Klopp's patch - I want to see our team dictate how this match unfolds and not the opposition.

If we make Anfield an unbearable cauldron for these fannies, then the team also need to start much like they did against Barcelona. Rabid dogs should look docile in comparison. Just get in their faces, get at their patchy defence and give the ref no ideas that he can give them an inch.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 6, 2019, 12:42:22 pm »
Henderson has been ill so he may be a doubt. If so, the call is whether Klopp goes for Milner, Ox or Keita to replace him. I'd go Ox, I suspect Klopp would go Milner.

I'm assuming if available it will be Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Henderson.

Assuming Henderson is fit, usual first eleven, with Lovren in for Matip is likely.

These games can always be anything. We are due a win and personally I hope we win via a VAR penalty overrule for Mane being blinded by the light reflected off Pep's head in injury time.