Author Topic: Chewer of Toffees, scourge of Barça, Peeler of Spuds, Arse kicker, Wolves slayer  (Read 663326 times)

Offline VVM

• Kopite
  • OVER AN HOUR LEFT ESTIMATED TIME
Re: Origi, chewer of Toffees, scourge of Barça, Peeler of Spuds, Arse kicker
« Reply #4560 on: March 22, 2021, 11:35:14 am »
I think he grew on all of us after the winner against Everton and what he did in the Champions league semi and final. I think Klopp began to favor him a lot since even though he was definitely lacking in ability compared to the rest of the attackers, you knew what you were getting. An average attackers who would follow your instructions, work hard, track back and could finish relatively ok.

I think this form, or reliability maybe, carried over into the 2019-20 season and he was generally ok for the start of last season but then essentially fell off a cliff since the pandemic.

He's looked completely lost this season though, absolutely zero chemistry with any of the rest of the players and no clue what he's even supposed to be doing in the team. Tough to argue for his finishing ability either after the miss against Burnley.

For a while now it feels like the only argument you'd have left for him is his height which I don't think he ever puts to good use. Doesn't seem useful in defending set pieces and when the balls are played long to him he seems to consistently misjudge where the ball will land and never get to it.

Perhaps an arguments could be made that he particularly feeds off the energy of a crowd but I fear by the time we are back in the ground it will be too little too late. Still, I will always be grateful for what he helped this club achieve, seems like a genuinely nice bloke and hope he can get himself a good move in the summer.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4561 on: March 22, 2021, 04:11:47 pm »
There are some parallels to Ryan Babel here I think.

Divock has, of course, reached greater heights in terms of trophies and more memorable goals...but they do seem similar. Some great attributes and skills, but never put it all together.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #4562 on: March 22, 2021, 04:19:53 pm »
But at Lille,Wolfsburg & Liverpool he has been poor. He just isnt very good.
Harsh, he scored 14 goals for them before he was 20. Seemed like a proper talent back then.
If we were smart we would have sold him after the CL final.
His contract was up. We renewed it for two reasons I believe: 1. Reward for his contribution in the 18/19 campaign and 2. To get better offers in the following summer, which was probably derailed due to the pandemic.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #4563 on: March 22, 2021, 05:14:25 pm »

Divock has, of course, reached greater heights in terms of trophies and more memorable goals...but they do seem similar. Some great attributes and skills, but never put it all together.

Yeah, players with talent who were highly rated as youngsters but have never been able to consistently apply it.

The way I tend to put it is if you were a scout looking at signing Origi, what qualities would you be going back to the board or the manager and saying he ticks x, y and z boxes? Ings for example you could say he's a natural goalscorer, he works hard off the ball and has good movement. That's what a manager would want in a forward. Origi's career goal return is not good for a forward (even when he started more at Lille and Wolfsburg) and he's not someone you'd say is a workhorse, or got great pace and movement. He's enigmatic.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 05:17:03 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #4564 on: March 23, 2021, 07:44:40 am »

Liverpool is just a bit too high a level I think. In a worse team with less possession, these players can focus on scoring. In Liverpool, you have to be able to handle the quick passing game as well. Put Origi in a slightly worse team, so he can start every week, and I think he would do fine. I think Ings would have struggled here as well. Being a sub for a top side is difficult.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4565 on: March 23, 2021, 07:55:43 am »
One of my fondest memories of Origi is his display in both legs against dortmund. Sounds weird considering his barca goal and spurs in the final but honestly I thought he was playing so well back then and we were really on to something in terms of what he could do on a more regular basis.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4566 on: March 23, 2021, 01:16:26 pm »

Babel was great sometimes.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4567 on: March 23, 2021, 01:19:52 pm »
He managed to reinvent himself after Fewms Mori effectively destroyed the incredible player he was turning into

I dunno, I'm not convinced at all that he was developing into a top quality player.  He's always been an average forward, but back then we were playing differently and he was more suited to the tactics.  As the team has moved forward, he's stood still.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #4568 on: March 23, 2021, 04:00:40 pm »
I don't think there is a number for "highest fraction crucial goals", but Origi would be high on such a list. For being such an average player, he has had an enormous impact. He's the polar opposite of the guys that score the 4-0 tap-in against Southampton or so. Many weird goals too.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #4569 on: March 23, 2021, 04:31:37 pm »
I dunno, I'm not convinced at all that he was developing into a top quality player.  He's always been an average forward, but back then we were playing differently and he was more suited to the tactics.  As the team has moved forward, he's stood still.

He actually scored more goals for us the season after. It's not like he was amazing all that season and then was taken out. He was in a good run of form though. Whether he could have sustained it who knows. The main regret was not having him for that Europa League final in that kind of form because if we had more up front the game would have been won at half time.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4570 on: March 23, 2021, 06:19:11 pm »

There's no way to quantify this.  I think it's a mistake to call his period back then a purple patch because it was ended by a leg break.  He wasn't doing fantastic before Klopp arrived, but then you can say that about a lot of other Liverpool players at the time too.

All I can say is that he blossomed in that period and looked on the verge of turning into something special.  He was never the same player when he came back.  As you say, the team had moved on, and continues to move on, and he hasn't.  But we can only speculate as to whether this was inevitable, injury or no injury.

He had some incredible moments in a team that was full of confidence and playing to its maximum potential.  In a mentally and physically shattered team like this, he brings very little.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4571 on: March 23, 2021, 06:27:12 pm »
Wasn’t he on loan the season before Klopp arrived? Then Rodgers had about 2 months with him before leaving.

I think if Divock got regular football in a decent side he’d score goals.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Take away the cult goals and he's a failure

but take away the cult goals and we wouldn't have number 6

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Wasn’t he on loan the season before Klopp arrived? Then Rodgers had about 2 months with him before leaving.

I think if Divock got regular football in a decent side he’d score goals.

He stayed at Lille for a year after signing, the infamous ‘voted to the worst team in France’ season  ::)  Then he played a few Europa and league cup games for Rodgers before he got sacked.

Origi is just like a multitude of players - streaky and inconsistant. They have hot streaks where they look great, but followed by a spell when you wonder what on earth happened.

I don’t even know if it is a regular football thing with him. At Wolfsburg, he started most games, and he had that one hot streak where he scored a few goals, but other than that was frankly beyond average, verging on poor.  He’s just really inconsistent.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
Unfortunately for Origi he's a player who does quite a few things pretty well but unfortunately does some of the fundamental things in a very average way. His first touch, distribution, decision making and tactical understanding overall isn't great and so as a result he can't really translate some of his obvious physical gifts as well as his really good finishing, into producing consistent high performance. I think his time at LFC is up. For his own sake, he best move to a different league and hopefully try to get into some kind of form and force his way back into the Belgium set up.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
Where’s he disappeared to? Have I missed some injury news with him?
AHA!

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4576 on: April 14, 2021, 10:20:39 am »
Origi has been sidelined with a muscle injury and has no return date on the horizon as of yet.
It's a strange article as it rambles on about Origi not being selected recently as evidence he is leaving in the summer but then drops in towards the end that he's actually injured.

It seems unlikely that he'll be in the squad this evening but I've not seen any training photos so not sure if he's back.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
https://twitter.com/LivUni/status/1402900052515901440

We're so pleased to announce that @LFC striker Divock Origi is partnering with us @LivUni
 to offer a new scholarship for students from the city of #Liverpool  Read more here:  https://bit.ly/35737hG

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Top man.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan

There you go. Take that you haters! With this ... the legendary Divock is telling you he is not going anywhere! 😁
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
He's a good man, Divok.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
Amazing human being and for all the stick he gets, the guy not once has ever kicked up a fuss or criticised the club. The vital goals he scored will always remain a part of this clubs history

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Great great guy  :wave
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
There you go. Take that you haters! With this ... the legendary Divock is telling you he is not going anywhere! 😁

I don't think that's actually what is happening.

Great gesture regardless.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nice one Divock  :champ

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
I don't think that's actually what is happening.

Great gesture regardless.
I was not being serious ... 🙂
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I was not being serious ... 🙂
haha my bad

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
Really nice idea, that. Well in, Divock. :thumbup
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
We've certainly had better players, but how many can boast a discussion topic as epic and varied as Origi's?

RAWK without Origi is nothing.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Clearly off to Everton 😉

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
What a legend!
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The classy bastard!

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 04:42:39 pm by Red Cactii »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Nice one Divock :)
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Props to Div..
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
He has always come across as a very decent bloke has Div. Great idea.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Big gesture that. Clearly very settled and loves the city

Interested to see where he ends up next.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Big gesture that. Clearly very settled and loves the city

Interested to see where he ends up next.

Marine.