Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1446292 times)

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Virgil Van Dijk signs for Liverpool
« Reply #3600 on: November 23, 2018, 02:35:50 pm »

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3601 on: November 23, 2018, 02:42:11 pm »
Phil Babb
I remember his mad 5 minute spells in games when it was as though he wasn't allowed to pass to a red shirt.
Great example of not buying on the back of a good world cup.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #3602 on: November 23, 2018, 05:18:30 pm »
Don't want to spoil the party but talking of great CBs a fella called Yeats comes to mind.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #3603 on: November 23, 2018, 07:31:21 pm »
He HAD some balls

......and then he went and slid into that goalpost :-\ :-\

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3604 on: November 23, 2018, 10:15:42 pm »
Hyppia is a legend and was a good CB and leader in our club. He lifted a Champions League trophy, after playing a big part in one of the greatest games of football to have ever been played.

Van Dijk is a great CB, as a footballer, he is astonishingly good. He’s incredibly intelligent, like Sami, too - he *controls* space. Which is actually the biggest thing in football by the way. And we’re supporting him right now to write his own legend, like Sami did back then.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3605 on: November 23, 2018, 10:26:07 pm »
Don't want to spoil the party but talking of great CBs a fella called Yeats comes to mind.

Yep. And as a kid I thought genuinely thought his name was Yates as in Rowdy Yates.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3606 on: November 23, 2018, 10:35:56 pm »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3607 on: November 23, 2018, 10:38:58 pm »

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3608 on: November 23, 2018, 10:57:26 pm »
You can only realistically assess a player when their time at the club draws to an end. Then we will know how many performances, trophies, impact, and all the rest of it.

Based on early indications, I’d have VVD ahead of everyone until you go back to Hansen and Lawrenson, but realistically he has to stick around for a while and you know, win something!

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3609 on: November 24, 2018, 01:41:58 am »
I believe he is the best Central Back we have ever had.
Believer

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #3610 on: November 24, 2018, 02:26:18 am »
I was lucky enough to be able to watch the Hansen/Lawrenson defensive partnership for many years and I've yet to see anything better. However the current Virgil van Dijk/JO Gomez pairing could develop into the modern day equivalent. Exciting times ahead.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3611 on: November 24, 2018, 03:02:28 am »
Form is temporary. Class is permanent.

He's been with us for less than a season and he's been outstanding in his contribution so far. To be deemed as an equal or better than some of the names above he's got to do it over many seasons for us.

We live in a world where labels are applied to people far too quickly. Virgil is well on track to be eventually named with the likes of Hyypia and Hansen.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #3612 on: November 24, 2018, 07:28:39 am »
Form is temporary. Class is permanent.

He's been with us for less than a season and he's been outstanding in his contribution so far. To be deemed as an equal or better than some of the names above he's got to do it over many seasons for us.

We live in a world where labels are applied to people far too quickly. Virgil is well on track to be eventually named with the likes of Hyypia and Hansen.

You fuckin Labeller
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3613 on: November 24, 2018, 08:03:57 am »
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3614 on: November 24, 2018, 08:14:13 am »
I think you have to take systems into account too when assessing centre backs. Sami was a brilliant defender as was Carra, but they both played largely under pragmatic managers who put defence first, particularly Houllier where the back four were usually on the keepers toes. What could mark VVD out as superior when the dust settles on his Anfield career, is his ability to control a defence playing a high line, much like Hansen. If Hyypia had a slight weakness it was getting done on the turn by pace. Still a legend though.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #3615 on: November 24, 2018, 10:50:23 am »
I think you have to take systems into account too when assessing centre backs. Sami was a brilliant defender as was Carra, but they both played largely under pragmatic managers who put defence first, particularly Houllier where the back four were usually on the keepers toes. What could mark VVD out as superior when the dust settles on his Anfield career, is his ability to control a defence playing a high line, much like Hansen. If Hyypia had a slight weakness it was getting done on the turn by pace. Still a legend though.
I can't remember one instance where the high line has failed, it's something I'm not used to in all the years following us. It's got to the point where you don't mind the other team getting a free kick near our box because you know we're going to catch them offside. It is a thing of beauty, takes so much organizing to pull off, and it's no surprise that we're able to do it so frequently since Virge has been here.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3616 on: November 24, 2018, 11:45:25 am »
I can't remember one instance where the high line has failed, it's something I'm not used to in all the years following us. It's got to the point where you don't mind the other team getting a free kick near our box because you know we're going to catch them offside. It is a thing of beauty, takes so much organizing to pull off, and it's no surprise that we're able to do it so frequently since Virge has been here.
Yeah which is as much to do with his organisational ability too. Must be great playing in a back four with him.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3617 on: November 24, 2018, 04:51:16 pm »
Brilliant again today.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Gazza-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3618 on: November 24, 2018, 04:52:49 pm »
There isn't enough superlatives. Best CB in the world and it's not close.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3619 on: November 24, 2018, 04:53:09 pm »
Boss. MOTM today in my opinion

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3620 on: November 24, 2018, 04:54:55 pm »
He is fast becoming an all time PL great - its like watching an amalgam of Terry and Ferdinand

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3621 on: November 24, 2018, 04:55:14 pm »
There isn't enough superlatives. Best CB in the world and it's not close.

Yep, it's really not, there's no one even anywhere near him. Maybe our other boy in a few years but not yet.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #3622 on: November 24, 2018, 04:58:10 pm »
that double interception at the end there, wow
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3623 on: November 24, 2018, 04:58:25 pm »
At the moment, hes basically the reason we’re where we are in the league. Attack isn’t as sharp as it has been, but this guy’s quality and shepherding of our whole defence is truly exceptional. Those key moments in the game, when one of our defenders (or GK) make a mistake, he closes the space down and snuffs the danger out completely. Has done it time and time again and it has ensured we don’t go on the back foot too much in games.

It’s annoying we’re about to hit the December fixtures and Keita and Fabinho look nowhere near up to speed and our attackers aren’t yet firing on all cylinders, but as long as we can count on Virgil, we’re going to be alright.

Stupendous footballer.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #3624 on: November 24, 2018, 05:02:05 pm »
At the moment, hes basically the reason we’re where we are in the league. Attack isn’t as sharp as it has been, but this guy’s quality and shepherding of our whole defence is truly exceptional. Those key moments in the game, when one of our defenders (or GK) make a mistake, he closes the space down and snuffs the danger out completely. Has done it time and time again and it has ensured we don’t go on the back foot too much in games.

It’s annoying we’re about to hit the December fixtures and Keita and Fabinho look nowhere near up to speed and our attackers aren’t yet firing on all cylinders, but as long as we can count on Virgil, we’re going to be alright.

Stupendous footballer.
Was a nice angle/view of when Foster was taking a goal kick of VVD in the middle organising everyone, I agree he's the main reason we're keeping up with City
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline SenorGarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria...
« Reply #3625 on: November 24, 2018, 05:02:07 pm »
that double interception at the end there, wow

Yes brilliant moment that to cap off the usual fantastic performance.
"A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Liverpool Football Club from every other team. The supporters." - Luis Javier García Sanz

Thanks Kenny, for making us believe again. YNWA

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3626 on: November 24, 2018, 05:05:19 pm »
A big impact was very much expected from Van Gijk, but I think that he had exceeded everyone's expectations. This cliche is overused, but he is really worth every penny.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3627 on: November 24, 2018, 05:34:32 pm »
He is our best player. He is better than Salah. Equal to or better than the Salah of last season’s second half. I don’t watch other leagues to know whether he is the best CB in the world, but he is certainly better than Ramos, who people often mention, and the best in the PL.

He is worth £150m to us now.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #3628 on: November 24, 2018, 05:37:00 pm »
I feel so much more relaxed with him in the side than I have at any point probably since Hyypia left. I'm no longer shitting myself whenever a cross comes over but instead calmly wait for it to be cleared. You can how much confidence he gives the players around him as well.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3629 on: November 24, 2018, 05:39:28 pm »
The defence has conceded 0.38 goals per game on average this season. Which is mental when you think about it. It's nowhere near that without Virg.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #3630 on: November 24, 2018, 06:03:33 pm »
His song sounded brilliant today.

Another unbelievable performance. Just ticking them off with ease.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #3631 on: November 24, 2018, 06:06:36 pm »
Song sounded amazing, seemed like it was continuous for about 15 minutes first half.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #3632 on: November 24, 2018, 06:10:04 pm »
I believe he is the best Central Back we have ever had.
He is to defending what someone like Ronaldo/Messi is to attacking. The combination of physical, mental and technical attributes all at the level he has them? I've never seen the like. It's actually insane that it took him so long to get to a top club in a top league.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3633 on: November 24, 2018, 06:15:44 pm »
Another incredible performance, always seems to be in the right place at the right time

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3634 on: November 24, 2018, 06:33:59 pm »
He was determined to keep a clean-sheet.

Loved it

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3635 on: November 24, 2018, 08:10:34 pm »
He's Virgil van Dijk, He's Virgil van Dijk.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 08:13:20 pm by Red85 »
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3636 on: November 24, 2018, 08:20:57 pm »
Boss. MOTM today in my opinion
Him and Lovren didn't put a foot wrong.

Troy Deeney & Isaac Success are the kind of strikers who would have nicked a goal or two against us few years ago, today, VVD and Lovren controlled them nicely.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3637 on: November 24, 2018, 08:25:37 pm »
Him and Lovren didn't put a foot wrong.

Troy Deeney & Isaac Success are the kind of strikers who would have nicked a goal or two against us few years ago, today, VVD and Lovren controlled them nicely.

Those two would have had Skrtel and Sakho on toast.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3638 on: November 24, 2018, 08:45:57 pm »
Those two would have had Skrtel and Sakho on toast.
That gave me horrible flashbacks to the first time Klopp took us to Watford:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35086289

Bogdan was obviously filling in (although a lot of our fans had been calling for him to replace Mignolet anyway) but what a contrast between that back five and the one that played today.  To think we used to live in fear of that lump Deeney.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3639 on: November 24, 2018, 08:57:25 pm »
we used to have difficulty with this sort of player see Benteke, Lukaku. Our central defenders would get absolutely bullied. not anymore.