Author Topic: LFC to celebrate 100th birthday of Bob Paisley  (Read 2809 times)

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
LFC to celebrate 100th birthday of Bob Paisley
« on: January 16, 2019, 11:52:07 pm »
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/334161-liverpool-fc-celebrate-100th-birthday-bob-paisley

Liverpool Football Club will host a range of activities to celebrate what would have been the 100th birthday of the Reds' most successful manager – Bob Paisley.

The landmark occasion for the manager nicknamed the ‘Quiet Genius’ will see Saturday’s home game against Crystal Palace dedicated to the celebration.

Supporters in the Kop will create a commemorative mosaic ahead of kick-off, which will feature the words ‘Paisley 100’ to pay homage to the man who led the Reds to three European Cups, six league titles, three League Cups and the UEFA Cup.

A special edition of the matchday programme featuring a rare photograph of the great man in his playing days on the cover, with more rare photographs inside, has also been produced.

Fans at the game will also be encouraged to take part in a period of applause to pay their respects to Paisley and the late Peter Thompson, who sadly passed away recently. The wing wizard made 416 appearances in a red shirt and helped them to win two league championships and the FA Cup.

On January 23, Paisley’s actual birthday, supporters will be able to enjoy a day of special programming on LFCTV. This will include tributes from a host of notable former players who served under him and a series of archive matches from his time as manager.

A special commemorative animation has also been created. ‘Bob Paisley: Humble Genius’ tells the story of his life from growing up in a mining village, through his early football career, right through to his success as a manager and subsequent retirement, all told using excerpts from archive interviews with the man himself. 

Didn't realise Sir Bob's 100th birthday was only round the corner
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline johnj147

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC to celebrate 100th birthday of Bob Paisley
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 12:22:50 am »
good stuff and its my birthday today  :hally

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 12:24:52 am »
Glad there are plans to celebrate it. Nothing more than the great man deserves
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 11:54:51 am »
Pity I won't see much, if any, of this as I'm in work til 2pm, so will only get there very close to kick-off.

The lads will have the Paisley banner out too, weather-permitting.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 12:57:26 pm »
My Favourite picture I took in Kiev walking up to the stadium

Such a simple banner but its just so cool in its simplicity.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 03:00:36 pm »
Any way I could get hold of one of these programmes even though I'm abroad?

Offline fridge

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 03:22:17 pm »
Normally you can buy matchday programmes from the LFC website. I'd be surprised if the club didn't make these available.  But then again....
Each night before I go to bed I thank the Lord that I'm a Red

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 03:39:52 pm »
Yeah they should be available online. Don't be surprised if there's a premium on them though.

Offline LFC josh

• Boys Pen
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 04:57:12 pm »
Any way I could get hold of one of these programmes even though I'm abroad?

If you can't buy one online I'm sure someone can pick you one up

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 05:11:59 pm »
I imagine the mosaic will be like the Shanks one celebrating 100 years of his birth. Very cool and a great tribute.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 06:36:26 pm »
I imagine the mosaic will be like the Shanks one celebrating 100 years of his birth. Very cool and a great tribute.

It is. Mentioned in the article. Paisley 100

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 08:16:46 pm »
*starting to blubber already*

Paisley, Paisley.....
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 08:28:52 pm »
A true great.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 08:42:43 pm »
Too young for the Shankly era, so when I started supporting Liverpool in the mid-70s, Bob Paisley was the manager and I've always thought him untouchable in terms of managerial ability. I was always in awe of him as a kid, but also - weirdly - felt I could have gone up to him, said hello, and give him a hug. Perhaps because he reminded me of a slightly chubbier version of my grandy. Such an implacable and humble guy, but with nerves of steel and one of the best eyes for a player ever.

A true great
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 12:01:31 am »
they should make a movie about him driving a tank and having adventures.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 09:16:05 pm »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 09:17:39 pm »
John C at the back left with the muzzy and the 'I won the Mums' look, from the league of gentlemen.

;D

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 09:33:31 pm »
I was young. Mr. Paisley was the Manager. Bald Eagle Ronnie carried the buckets. And Joe sat in the dugout watching everything. But Bob was the Manager. With him in charge we would always find the answers.

That's the best way I can describe how good he was. Superlatives still don't suit him, and never will.
Just, like all of us then, I trusted him totally, and correctly, to sort things.

It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 01:59:44 pm »
Nice tribute by Guy Mowbray after his match preview today on Football Focus. Began with a nice little dig at thee honour system - "Liverpool are honouring....Bob Paisley, I nearly said Sir Bob Paisley by mistake there, in fact, I really should be saying Sir Bob Paisley".

He then went on to say that it's wrong that he doesn't get mentioned amongst the greats like Clough and Ferguson do and that Paisley was, in his opinion, the greatest of them all.

Nice one Guy  :thumbup

Online ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 02:46:13 pm »
Had the pleasure of meeting him once when I attended a function at Anfield and he was there.  Sat with him and chatted like he was an old uncle, he was so humble and welcoming.

One of the very greatest, if not the greatest.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2019, 03:04:41 pm »
Happy birthday Bob

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 06:39:44 pm »
 20 posts for the most successful manager we ever had. Oh well...

One of the greats by any measure. Its a shame that his modesty seems to have affected the way he's remembered. There should be documentaries about him and sports specials celebrating his amazing achievements. 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2019, 07:05:27 pm »
The genius in his own words...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/a0IrBTg6zcI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/a0IrBTg6zcI</a>

Happy Birthday to a great man whose teams brought me some of the best times of my life.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2019, 07:08:00 pm »
Loved that. Thanks for posting.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2019, 07:16:52 pm »
^
You're welcome.

Here is Bob being ambushed by Eamonn Andrews, then featuring on the old 'This Is Your Life' programme.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u2M5VYPQsO4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u2M5VYPQsO4</a>  :)

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2019, 07:17:04 pm »
20 posts for the most successful manager we ever had. Oh well...

One of the greats by any measure. Its a shame that his modesty seems to have affected the way he's remembered. There should be documentaries about him and sports specials celebrating his amazing achievements.

I think it was his unassuming modesty contrasting  so sharply with the much more charismatic and media savvy Shankly that lead to almost downgrading his achievements. The equally charismatic and media savvy Clough was also one of Paisley's greatest contemporary rivals.

In some respects Paisley's also suffered because his constant success became the norm.

Clough, Ferguson and Shankly all took over down at heel teams and raised them to success and they could all play to the gallery.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 07:19:48 pm »
Do you think Sir Bob doesn't get the praise he truly deserves from people other than us fans?

The amazing haul of trophies from his 9 year tenure forms a huge successful part of our history but he doesn't seem to get the recognition for being a great manager compared to that of Fergie, Pep or Jose.

Was it his quiet and humble persona that separates him from the other successful football managers.
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Online Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2019, 07:27:34 pm »
6 league titles, 3 league cups, 3 european cups, 1 uefa cup, 1 super cup, 6 charity shields, in 9 years!

THE greatest manager we've ever had. Honest, hard-working and humble. Proof that nice guys can finish first.

Happy birthday Bob.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2019, 07:30:30 pm »
Do you think Sir Bob doesn't get the praise he truly deserves from people other than us fans?

The amazing haul of trophies from his 9 year tenure forms a huge successful part of our history but he doesn't seem to get the recognition for being a great manager compared to that of Fergie, Pep or Jose.

Was it his quiet and humble persona that separates him from the other successful football managers.

I think amongst people who know about football they all agree that Paisley is up there - I think general consensus is that the top tier of managers in post war English football are, in no particular order, Shanks, Paisley, Busby, Clough and Ferguson. I don't think anyone can really debate their claim to be the best. Then you've got a tier below that with the likes of Dalglish, Wenger, probably Mourinho and one day maybe the likes of Pep and Klopp (fuck it, he'll be top tier in a few years!).

You mention Pep and Mourinho - I don't think people who know about football think they're up there with Paisley and co (maybe Guardiola will be in the future) but they get spoken about more because they're currently managing, which is fair enough. Plus those two, and to a certain extent Ferguson, will always have the caveat alongside their legacy that they bought success, something that can't be thrown at Paisley, Shankly, Busby and Clough.

Maybe Paisley doesn't get the recognition he deserves amongst people who aren't that into football which is annoying in a way, but part of me thinks fuck em, leave them to it, let them laud over their footballing greats like Jose, Beckham, Wazza, etc.

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 09:15:33 pm »
The greatest manager there has ever been, simple as.  Had the impossible task of taking over from Shankly and went on to even outdo his achievements by some distance.  Shankly was revered with almost messiah like status by fans so the pressure on Paisley to carry on the success must have been immense.  Think of how Gollum failed miserably when he took over from Ferguson.  An almost impossible task but Paisley simply took us to another level bringing a level of success never seen before or since and I don’t give a fuck what Ferguson won.  8 consecutive trophy winning seasons with a total of 13 major trophies and then left a team of champions for Fagan to lead to the treble.  A total of 16 major trophies in 9 consecutive seasons between 1976 and 1984.  7 league titles, 4 European cups, 4 league cups and the uefa cup.  Does my fuckin head in when they talk about the greatest club sides and that era of domination never gets a mention.  As someone who started going to the match in the 76/77 season as a 6 years old kid, Paisleys teams gave me some of the greatest memories of my life and he is quite simply my all time hero.  Happy birthday Sir Bob Paisley, the greatest manager that ever lived. 

Offline King Kenny 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 11:35:21 am »
^
You're welcome.

Here is Bob being ambushed by Eamonn Andrews, then featuring on the old 'This Is Your Life' programme.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u2M5VYPQsO4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u2M5VYPQsO4</a>  :)

That's great to watch again, brings back so many happy memories.  :thumbup

Has Hendo become a Traveller, sure looks and sounds like him on 14min 25secs  :-\

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 01:09:37 pm »
Well before my time as a supporter but a true great not only for us but in the grand scheme of football. What a man and it's great to hear some of the stories from arl fellas, he was as good a man as football manager and that's not often the case. Thanks for everything you gave to this club over your 52 years Sir Bob and hopefully you're looking down fondly on the current lot.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.